Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I was planning on not riding tonight but the sun came out and my Saluki was on full senile woofing every 5 seconds relentlessly duty. I had to go out before I yelled at the old lad. 3 hours solid if it really gets to you after a bit.
I cycled towards town to the lights and then turned left as if to go towards Wymondham College and went over the little roundabout and then turned left a bit later. It wasn't the road that I thought it was so I had a nice explore through Suton and then followed the signs, over the A11 to Spooner Row and then back to home. About half a mile or so from home I decided that I didn't want to go back yet so I headed towards Wreningham but turned off before and crossed the A11 again but at Rightup Lane rather than Silfield Road. I managed to arrive at the rail tracks just as the barriers were going back up. Once nearly home again I did a quick lap (half a mile) of a road that I hadn't been down before just because.
11.9 miles in 52 minutes so quite pleased. The senile dog has now gone to sleep again.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Last night rode up to the Cross Hands at Old Sodbury to assist with my clubs Evening 10 TT.
I was starter / pusher off man.

Lovely evening, with a swift pint enjoyed before heading home.
Must complement a HGV driver from 'Gist' who patiently waited behind me as I popped along at 40kmh on the Westerleigh Rd.
If only there were more like him !!!

There was road work on our regular Hare and Hounds route so it was altered again, I actually think I prefer the new route and last night was my fastest as I didn't get dropped and jump into the fastest group at the end. I tried to concentrate on upping my cadence and resisted the urge to chase onto the back of folk who wanted to sprint up the pace line (chaingang), by the time Id got to the front I'd caught them at a consistent pace anyway.

john59

Guru
Another wedding, this time in South West Scotland. Been out in the morning for an hour or so, before the family wake up. Some photos from the rides.
gu4ute4u.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Today, a few mates and I had arranged to meet at 11:00 for an off road ride around Salcey Forest and surrounding countryside. The weather forecast was two things:-
1) Drizzle but improving by 12:00
2) Totally incorrect!

Luckily, I had slapped on waterproof sunblock :laugh:

For the first 20 miles, the rain only stopped for long enough to take my jacket off, pedal a yard and have to put it back on again. Never mind, the cake stop at Salcey Forest was most enjoyable. After this, we aimed back along a different Bridleway that is a mile long downhill straight that is great fun usually, but with the recent storms and rain, it was filthy riding! I made sure I got in front though so I only got plastered with my own mud, not everyone elses. :thumbsup:
As things frequently equal out, I got a wasp sting under my helmet about 5 miles later!! Holy poo, that hurt..

Whiston Ford is usually a good place to play. Errrrr, I mean, wash the mud off the tyres.

Whiston Ford.jpg

The rest of the ride was across the fields to Brafield on the Green, Little Houghton and back over The Washlands (Northampton flood relief lakes) for 10 mins chat before we went our separate ways home.
Just a tad under 35 miles in all.

http://app.strava.com/activities/71161822

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I am a Viking...hear me roar

Family are away this week and not busy today so I decided to do something different.
1) Have a look at the weather forecast for Wednesday last night to see what the wind direction would be like (SW, veering S)
2) Decide how far I can ride in a day (100 miles is my limit)
3) Find somewhere with a train station about 100 miles away in the right direction ie. NE of Glosssop
4) Set off, get there, buy train ticket, get train home

York was the answer. I actually wanted to go to Scarborough but (a) it was 120 miles and (b) the train fare was twice that of York (despite being pretty close..grrrr)

Logistical headache last night as I had some computer problems so couldn't plan a route. Mrs Nickboy had taken the road atlas as well so couldn't even photocopy that. Had the trusty smartphone with maps so decided I could just about manage with that. Set off 07.25 this morning which meant I would hit Woodhead Pass 08.00. Bit busy but not too bad. Twiddled around trying to find a decent route between Wakefield and Leeds. Went the wrong way a couple of times, started to get a bit worried about smartphone battery life due to me checking maps avery few miles.

Made it to Tadcaster, home of Sam Smiths beer, at 12.15. Found a pub so old skool that it didn't take cards. Pint of Sam Smiths, sausage and mash with onion gravy. Let me recharge smartphone (did I tell you I was worrying about this?). Left pub 1.15 (they were a bit slow with the food) so I had about 2.45 until I needed to get to York station (I had booked a bike place on the train). Found that cycling in the area is complicated due to very limited crossing points of the Ouse. Found myself heading into York to cross the river to head out again. Had a very pleasant time tootling around the very flat York area - York cyclists and Glossop cyclists should arrange a swap day

Got my train. By the time I got off in Glossop found my backside had tenderised nicely to the extent I had to pedal out of the saddle the 2 miles home. Beer, shower, dinner, T20 cricket, bed

102 miles @ 15mph moving avg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Out with the missus, 31.45 miles on a regular circular route, but anti-clock this evening and I saw something I have never seen before. Fifteen roadies but half of them were kids, on proper kids roady bikes, all lycra'd up. Must've been a local club or summat, but they were going so fast in the opposite direction I didn't see which.

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
nearly didnt go - decided to pump tyres up, 1 bike fell over pulling valve thingy out, so took wheel off BSO and changed it (funny BSO had quick release but more expensive bike not)
2. took ages to sort out the brake as it just would not do up;
3 saddle was skewwiff so sorted out
thought alls good, went indoors to wash hands, then hassle to get out of front door without dogs getting out
wheeled bike out of front garden - got on bike chain off front cogs
off bike put chain back on
indoors to wash hands again and another fight to get back out of the door
got on bike - chain off the back cog and caught between cog and wheel
off bike to sort out chain again
handles dirty and oily, thought b*gger it
got on bike and off i set, wondering if something was trying to tell me to stay at home !!!!!
Managed nearly 3 hours without any mishaps, but running out of places to go xx
Oh And it HOT :sun:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom