Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Raced my last club 10 of the year last night, I was expecting a fast ride as the forecast had a tailwind return, which usually results in fast times on that course, but it was not to be, it was a tough night and the tail wind didn't offer enough assistance for a light speed return, in the end I posted 22:31 (26.6 mph average), 28 seconds down on last weeks time, for the same power. Placed 3rd overall, fastest from my club. A bit disappointed that getting a 21 minute ride on that course will have to wait until next year but never mind, I have come a long way so far this season! Regardless of my time last night, I went fast enough to ensure another max points haul in the club scratch competition and have extended my lead to a point I can't be caught now, i.e. virtual winner! Not bad for a 1st season of racing!

Feel as if I am now one of the in crowd as a taxi attempted to knock me off my bike today :cursing:

Riding up Wendover High Street at a sedate 10 mph when a taxi overtook me and, whilst still along side, started to pull in to park, sharp smack on his rear window seemed to wake him up,I dropped back and we exchanged a few short words as I pull past him on the outside. :whistle:

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Feel as if I am now one of the in crowd as a taxi attempted to knock me off my bike today :cursing:

Riding up Wendover High Street at a sedate 10 mph when a taxi overtook me and, whilst still along side, started to pull in to park, sharp smack on his rear window seemed to wake him up,I dropped back and we exchanged a few short words as I pull past him on the outside. :whistle:

typical taxi driver...glad it wasn't serious.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Nice ride today. Meant to get out last night but after a day of huge, overweight labradoodles I was knackered and ached from head to foot.
Hubby on dialysis so I got out after walking the dogs quickly and charging up the iPod (I know I know, naughty but I listen in one ear only).
I recce d a route the other night out to Morley and then back via Wicklewood which was fun, or would have been if hubs hadn't whinged most of the way around. Tonight I got to Morley and then turned back past Wymondham College onto the london road and then over the A11 and on to Spooner Row, through the village and then the pretty route to Wattlefield. When I got a mile from home I decided that I didn't want to go home just yet (had got to a really good bit on the album I was listening to) so carried on towards Silfield and back over the A11 cycle/foot bridge and then down Rightup Lane passing a couple of joggers.
Half way down Rightup I suddenly felt fatigued like someone had suddenly thrown a big duvet of sleepiness over me. I stopped for a min and had a drink, looked for Masses Against The Classes on the iPod and got spinning. I flew down the rest of Rightup, the mini roundabout was clear and I flew (relative term for me at 18mph) up the hill along Silfield Road to home. As I was heading to mine I saw a whole bunch of cyclist bombing down the road in the opposite direction, I smiled and waved and turned into our road.
13.97 miles (If I had known that I would have ridden past our house) in 58:24. Not a bad ride but I am struggling a bit at the moment. I have had a few days off the bike lately and have not been sleeping well and I think that I am just knackered.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
2 days ago now but did a loop of the Cwmcarn MTB trail with 10yr old son. His first BIG hill MTB experience and he even loved the long, rocky climbs.
Here's a vid clip of him in action.....(click to play)
th_011_zps3d4f2014.jpg

0121024x849_zps70979e6e.jpg

I won't show any other pic's of me because it was so hot I took my shirt off........ xx(

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I did the same route as last night and took Hubster with me. I came home a very slightly different way as directly up our road gives me .93 of a mile - irritating, so I cycled the back road route which put me over the 14 miles by .07. Little victories. 1 hour and 48 seconds. We had a couple of wee stops, red lights where someone in a car asked if we were out of breath coming up the big hill. We asked "what big hill" and she gestured at the wee bump that we were at the top of. Its a 6% for 100 yards, even in my fat sluglike state I can cope with that.
Hubster re-tightened his bars so we had another teeny tiny stop. Averaged 13.9mph so a bit slower than last night but an evening ride is not a race, and even if it was I would be cycling at the pace that I cycle at.

Oh, last nights bunch of riders going down the road were Hethersett Velo and they meet at 7.15pm on Tuesday nights for a nice 20 miler. 3 groups; slow, medium and fast. I shall toddle along next week and go with the slow group. 14mph ave doesn't sound dead slow to me but then I'm ancient. (or at least feeling it today)

kipster

Guru
Off work for a couple of weeks so no commuting. I've finished most the the chores so treated myself to a quick ride this evening. Got my first ever squeeze by a Stagecoach bus, not a pleasant experience and has been reported. Other than that and a bit of a breeze it was lovely, a bit of rain, tasty hills. I took it easy on the descents as I was on slicks with wet roads and gravel / top dressing. Just over 12 miles at 17.5mph, felt great.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Just a short ride yesterday with my mate Crazy Nick (~53km for me, rather more for him!)- this time on my side of the Trent, rather than the more usual Vale of Belvoir / North Leicestershire option. After a stretch of busy A-road, we cut off onto some quieter minor routes. This is looking back down the only steep climb of the day, above Epperstone - I'd decided to get the hard stuff over as early as possible: we'd have a headwind to contend with later, and this particular byway is safer to ride up than down!
Img0094.JPG

As usual, we included some offroad to spice things up. This section was rough enough to loosen my nuts!
Img0096.JPG

Down in the valley, the bridge over the Thurgaton Dumble.....
Img0098.JPG

... marks the site of a sheep dip, built roughly 300 years ago - difficult to show the construction in a single pic, but this gives some idea of the scale of it.
Img0097.JPG

A board would have been slid down the grooved stones to dam the stream temporarily.
Img0101.JPG

Onwards and upwards to some relatively level land where the rapeseed harvest was in progress.
Img0103.JPG

Nick is always fascinated by machinery, so I waited at the end of the path for him to emerge (eventually) from the cloud of dust.
Img0105.JPG

After about 3km of gravel road, we had the sheer luxury of a smooth downhill run into Southwell and refreshments (Leatherbritches Cad and a cheese and onion roll) at the Final Whistle. I'd originally intended to ride from here via Caunton to meet the Trent at North Muskham, then return via Kelham, Averham and Rolleston, but because of a rather late start, a strengthening westerly, and lack of willpower, we decided to cut out this loop and carry on to the Full Moon at Morton instead.
Img0108.JPG

Some astoundingly accurate pacing got us there just 3 minutes before the 3 o'clock closing time, only to find that they were experimenting with all day opening on Wed/Thurs/Fri, so we had ample time to imbibe some excellent Pheasantry Best Bitter and Blue Monkey Marmoset, while marvelling at the facilities available in such a small village - bus station, post office and A&E just opposite the pub.
Img0109.JPG

Barley harvesting was in full swing between Bleasby and Thurgaton - note use of harvester's nearside rear light to protect the identity of the tractor driver. Hoping the barley was a good malting variety like Maris Otter for brewing.
Img0110.JPG

I should have taken a pic of a lovely little rose garden alongside the Trent near Hoveringham, but by now we were anxious to press on to beat the increasing drizzle carried by the headwind.

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
went to local brocante and saw these 2 bikes, somebody had already bought them:eek:

Attachments

• Brocante.jpg
    Brocante.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 15th tunnel.jpg
    15th tunnel.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 15thAug.jpg
    15thAug.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 53
Status
Not open for further replies.