Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It must be 'crap rides day' today, what with Compo feeling poorly and gavgav being attacked by waspy feckers.

I set out for Jodrell Bank with the intention of stopping off at the cafe for a coffee and some cake :mrpig: only to find when I got there that it was closed to the public today :cry:

On my way back home I tried to bunny hop up a kerb and made a spectacular mess of it, sending myself over the handlebars and onto the pavement :B) there's no fool like an old fool.....

Only once I got home and the adrenaline wore off have I realized that I have a very hurty thumb and some bruised ribs from the impact (as well as the skinned knuckles and grazed elbow that were immediately apparent) so I'm just hoping that I'll be recovered in time to go on the club run this Sunday.

I'm wishing I'd stayed in bed today too..:thumbsdown:

Take care Compo and I hope you get sorted out soon:hugs: , that does sound scary, I'd take injury rather than illness any day, at least I know my grazes are going to be OK in a few days.

I've suffered that fate at Jodrell too. I checked the website the night before for opening times then took a friend who doesn't really ride too much on a 30 mile route ending there for lunch only to be turned away at the bottom of the driveway due to 'a private event'. Feckers could've mentioned it on the website! Be warned, we ended up doing another 5 miles before we found a mediocre pub for lunch.

As for messing up bunny hops, about 10+ yrs ago I hopped of a small ledge (approx. 12" high) and messed up the landing and ended up with a dislocated shoulder! Oh how I laughed, no really, I did laugh but the mate I was with later admitted he cried when he got home afterwards as he was so shocked.

@compo my advice is to stop faffing around and get straight to your GP NOW. It may be something completely different to your suspicion, how is your heart?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Today we rode the 'Bike It' route 1anti clockwise. We took it steady as we had to look at the map a couple of times. At Barnham Broom we stopped for a Calipo and a chat with a couple of bods out tri training. Onwards through Runhall, past one of my customers homes and along to Hardingham and Hingham. Once past Hingham, some pillock was driving too bloody fast around a very tight bend and knocked me into the hedge. I really hurt my hand when I pushed myself away from him and rode the final 10 miles home one handed with regular stops to pour water over my hand and mit. A bit bruised but nothing time won't heal. Hopefully it will be OK for monday as I have grooming to do. We came off route somewhere around Wicklewood, possibly turned too soon but we came back on the same road as the map said so we may have bypassed a couple of hundred yards.
25.94 miles in 2:01:23 so a 12.8 average.

I am having ice cream now. that little known cure for sore hands:mrpig:

Edited to put the mileage in properly. I managed to type a 2 in the .94 bit instead of a 9. It was the ice cream that made me do it.
Hand feeling much better now. Our trusty packet of frozen peas has done the job.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I to had a crap ride...ish...I was set to do one of my 50 mile loops when the Gestapo lady at the airport road refused to allow a bike through due to the battle of Britain air show. I rode around the other side and just because I'm a stubborn sod I rode through the airport back to S S hq and told her that it was totally possible to ride through the sirport. She clicked her heels and yelled abuse at her mate on a walkie talkie. By.this time I had decided I wasn't.in thr right head state for a longer ride so headed to a beach 5 miles away..where I met a guy on a loaded galaxy from Norwich riding to bristol via Portsmouth. We decided to.ban cars from all uk roads and had a good chin wag.
Then the dreaded ice cream van rolled up...how could I resist..so I guess I ate more calories than I used on tjis ride.

I'm about to go out again now that the wind has eased a little bit.
I will go and pester the airport guard again..just because ...then I'll ride a short ride on the other side of the south downs...where the civilized people live ;)

Linford

I did 20 miles this morning to the far side of Gloucester to a LBS and back, and tried out my Lidl arm warmers....which work really well, lovely ride apart from on the way over, a stupid woman came onto my side of the road to overtake a stationary car, and tried to force me onto the verge. My hand and her mirror accidentally connected, and folded it back....Then on the way back, I'm sat at a set of lights with a pinch point into a single lane 50 yards up the road, 2 cars pull up side by side behind me, lights change to green and both leave the line behind me squeeling the tyres as they race to beat each other to the gap....how did I feel being on the road in the path of 2 cars racing each other....not happy :headshake:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
first ride proper for a week (the 2-3 miles @ centre parcs across the week don't really count)

20 miles felt very enjoyable

it's autumn as the fields are rapidly changing, harvesting, ploughing and just changes to autumnal colours
one of the many joys of 'cycling loops' is watching the well known scenery changes across the weeks months & seasons...

autumn is upon us - smile, be mindful & enjoy the ride

a comfortable 112 mins with & against the wind :bicycle:

Seamab

Loving my new wheels; nothing fancy (Fulcrum Quattros). There not the lightest at over 1700g but my old wheels were over 1900g and these have 35mm rims and more importantly don't clunk. I'll resurrect the old wheels though when I get a cheap new hub. Other than Thursday TT todays ride was their first longer ride :-)
I've been cycling this past couple of weeks with my old Mavic wheels that came with with the bike and they feel really slow in comparison to my good handbuilt wheels which have been in getting a service. Just got them back today so looking forward to my next ride.

Seamab

Sorry to hear about other folks woes on their rides today.
I had a nice ride today with my old pal who has returned to cycling. He gave up cycling about the time i started and used to be very fit and a lot faster than me. We did a 47miler that i'd recc'ed during the week up Dunning Glen over to Bridge of Earn and up Glenfarg (avoiding the steep climbs). He did really well and we averaged 17mph which was decent as there was a stiff headwind on the last leg. He's doing the Pedal for Scotland next weekend so that should be a breeze after today.

kipster

Guru
Lovely 60 miles with the club, the best news was that my legs didn't shout at me today like they have the last two Saturdays. I think my fitness is improving hugely and i got my food and drink intake about right. i even had the legs to go out front for the last few miles and up the pace for those that like it quicker.

Total for the week to 113, looking forward to a short warm down ride with Mrs Kipster tomorrow morning to take it to 125.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Had a club run this morning 36 miles into the ride and a couple of the guys had a coming together, one went to hospital with a damaged shoulder, turns out nothing broken so that was good, the other guy a few small cuts and bruises, one bike was a write of the other survived, we all retired to the cafe afterwards.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
Had a club run this morning 36 miles into the ride and a couple of the guys had a coming together, one went to hospital with a damaged shoulder, turns out nothing broken so that was good, the other guy a few small cuts and bruises, one bike was a write of the other survived, we all retired to the cafe afterwards.
OOPS! :bicycle:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Well a bit of a different ride today. @400bhp had arranged for us to cycle with the Rapha Condor JLT road team starting at the Cat and Fiddle at 9:00 am for a training loop with them and a few other invited guests. The original plan was to drive over with the bikes but being the consumate cyclists that we are we decided to ride there. Hey the Cat maybe long but it isn't hard! left Wilmslow just before 8 and rode to the Cat and Fiddle via Macc. When we arrived we were told that the venue had been moved to somwhere near Buxton on the Ashbourne Rd a few miles away. Cars with bikes on were streaming out of the carpark, no one else had ridden. Anyway knowing the descent from the Cat to Buxton is fast the chase was on:hyper: , we kept pace with the cars to the T at the bottom of the hill. To our dismay the cars were turning right towards Leek uphill, we followed but were left behind. Fortunately one of the JLT guys passing recognised us and we were whisked to the new venue.
It was at this point I told 400bhp that John Herety's dad made @fossyant 's bike. You can see by the look on his face he was impressed. Nothing to do with a certain former British Road Race champ in the background :whistle:
Herety.jpg

We jumped in with the fast group of about 12 led by Kristian House and Richard Handley. As we pulled out of the car park and onto the main road and indicated we were turning right, the group was overtaken at about 60 mph by a landrover and trailer:eek: . How no one was hit I do not know. It was windy but the pace was pretty melow. The idea was to do a loop of just under 30 miles through Taddington, Miller's Dale, Wormhill, Peak Dale, Wheston, Tideswell, Litton, Cressbrook, Ashford in the Water, Sheldon and Flagg . A few climbs and fast descents and we were on the homeward stretch when we hit the "last climb of the day" 1.5 miles and a bit steep. I was the slowest and was struggling a bit and the group had strung right out. Kristian House paced me up the hill, he could have waited at the top but chose to ride with the slowest me :blush: . Must be said, he was a thoroughly decent chap had a good chat with him. Strangely on Strava I was in the top 20% of riders, so only conclude as well as being a bit tired some of the guys we were with were quick in the hills. We got back to the RV and had a coffee with them before 400 bhp and I headed back, no lift as our JLT chum had headed off so we went back towards Buxton taking turns to ride into a horrendous headwind, then down the A6 home. 80 miles and 7000ft of climbing and 233 miles for the week. I am knackered. :tired: A couple of days off me thinks. Oh and @potsy no cake shot as I didn't think a croissant and black coffee would make a good photo. :whistle:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom