Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
38 miles to St Albans and back. The rough converted rail way line (on the way there) and the incessant hills (on the way back) reminded me why I don't go to St Albans very often.

Saturday's Ride (a good one btw)

Just back from a 2 day mini-tour over the weekend on our off-road touring bikes in anticipation of next weekend's start from John O'Groats. Needed to test the bikes (make sure I reassembled them correctly :biggrin: (I stripped them down over the last month, cleaned, replaced parts and generally serviced them, including oil changes for the Rohloff hubs)). The bikes faired much better than the riders by the 2nd day. Saturday it was even stevens, but Sunday was seriously hard work.

IMG_6132.JPG

Ready for the off.

IMG_6134.JPG

Testing out the new clickstands to prop the bikes up - they work really well and are amazingly light coming around 75g each. They also can strap onto the seat post/stay which is not shown in this picture.

So we set off in sunshine from home (and I rememberd to put on sunblock thankfully), with a reasonably light load but with tent & sleeping bag/mats etc to camp on my in-laws lawn to test the new tent out. Setting out from home on the tourers was odd to say the least, but the gearing made the local climb out of our lane much easier than other bikes, then it was a case of following the route I had plotted into my Garmin Edge 200 to cycle roughly to Failsworth near to Oldham from the Delamere area. I had planned to follow some of the back roads around here that I road earlier in the week and they were great. One thing we both noticed instantly is how much extra room we got given being on the tourers (actually expedition bike or off-road tourers, so think mtb design in steel with a rohloff hub and weighing around 22kg unladen!). Drivers tend to realise how much damage you will do to their vehicle with panniers on and give loads more space.

The journey progressed well, lunch at the side of a small lane and then onwards on a mystery tour of greater manchester using off-road trails, national cycle routes and roads. Some my OH knew, most he did not - which is odd because Manchester is his home 'city' being from Failsworth but Garmin has the habit of prefering quiet roads and sometimes the 'diversions' are interesting to say the least. One such diversion had us going up a road that was meant to meet another lane and well, it didn't. Regretfully this was after a short hard climb up the side of a resovoir... the resulting diversion was intersting because it was a turn around, and try again, getting lost in a housing estate, repeating another hill climb, knowing we had to go off left, but the only next left turned out to be a motorway junction, so we had to carry on in totally the wrong direction heading towards Glossop!

IMG_6137.JPG

No go - Garmin routed us through here. Both Garmin and Google show this as a road, as did my open source maps, but the Ordnance Survey does not, shame I did not double check with the OS...
sad.png

A quick stop in a petrol station confirmed our only option (we were cycling up the A57 at this point) and leaving the petrol station we had what was probably the most considerate driver of the day - and from his actions probably a cyclist as well. He held back creating a gap in the constant stream of traffic, flashed us out of the garage and held back until the lights changed at the top of the hill. He got a very big thankyou and thumbs up.

Then we had some climbing to do. Getting to within 3 miles of Glossop means only one thing - the edge of the Pennies and there was a long climb up the hill from where we turned off to get to Staylebridge. But with it being a major route, it was a constant gradient and it was simply a case of putting the 5th gear (out of 14) and plodding our way to the top. Coming down the otherside was great fun though we failed to trigger the speed camera in the 30mph zone, only managing 30mph! Shame I even pedalled that little bit harder as well to try to trigger it. From there we picked up yet another off-road route that my OH didn't know existed. It is great fun getting him lost only a few miles from where he grew up! Another old railway, but this time we had an issue depiste it being a national cycle route, the usual bike barricades of the handle bar wiggle type we simply too narrow to get our handlebars through and the bikes had to be picked up and carried over the 'horse hurdles' instead.

IMG_6136.JPG

Off-road section, a nice quiet old railway somewhere in the Greater Manchester area - possibly!

We set out at 10:10am, arrived at 5pm and were exceptionally happy, having had a really good day of sunshine, but hit some nasty headwinds towards the end as we swung round to head west, a sign of what was to come on Sunday. 81.2km (somewhere around 50 miles).

The night was spent in the new tent on the lawn - I wanted my OH to sleep in it so he could decide which tent he was going to carry for the 2 weeks camping on John O'Groats to home (that well known long distance route!).

(Sunday will follow tomorrow...)

http://www.strava.com/activities/78950871
Unfortuantly I missed the strava 750km in a month badge by 6km, but I have covered 347km this last week (or 215 miles). I did think about going back out, but Failsworth is not somewhere I want to cycle around on an expensive bike when we had failed to bring any locks with us (!) and cycling into Oldham involved a hill I had no wish to cycle unnecessarily so I baled on the badge!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I may stay off the road until all the nutters have settled into their routines again.
Or maybe not.

It was nice out, so I couldn't keep off the bike and instead headed off to Welshpool, which is somewhere I've never cycled to before, via the Long Mountain which is somewhere I've never even visited before.:huh: Not knowing what the state of the road was like I used the knockabout bike, reasoning that the fatter tyres might be better if the surface wasn't great.

To start with I headed out on familiar ground; over Lyth Hill, past Arscott (where there's a section of scorched and melted road due to a recent tractor fire) and across via Hinton to Stoney Stretton and Westbury. Turning onto the main road at Stoney Stretton I found myself riding directly into a blustery headwind. After it's been calm for a while this was a bit of a shock to the system and the best speed I could manage was 10mph.:headshake:

After Westbury the climb onto the Long Mountain began (still against the wind :rolleyes:). From this side it isn't especially steep but just seems to go on for ever. I saw a few other riders, one who overtook early in the climb (much lighter bike) but didn't seem to be pulling away that quick when the gradient ramped up (not necessarily fitter :whistle:) The others were headed down hill when I was stopped at the side and were good enough to ask if I was okay.:thumbsup: (I was - just a drink/photo stop).

The Long Mountain is quite different to the Long Mynd - much less exposed and more cultivated, which was good as there was more shelter from the wind which was quite cold by the time I was riding along the ridge.

The descent into Welshpool was quite welcome and gave some good views. A couple more photo stops were in order before I headed through the town centre for Raven Square Station (Welshpool & Llanfair Railway). They are celebrating their 50th anniversary as a preserved railway and had brought out all their useable stock. I waited round to see one train (more photos), had my lunch and headed back.

The climb of the Long Mountain from this side is steeper (892 feet in about 2.5 miles) and I think I may have gone at it a bit quick with tired legs as I soon found myself forced to resort to the granny gear.:shy: The worst thing about this climb was the flies - I had to pull the buff down over my ears to keep them off.xx(

With the wind and gradient now in my favour it was a much speedier journey back than on the way out. ^_^ It lifted the overall average a bit but not a huge amount.

Total distance was 45.06 miles this time with an average of 11.7mph. Nothing special, but not bad using that bike on such a hilly route.:thumbsup:

DSC01934.JPG

Early on in the ride, looking across to Earl's Hill and Pontesford Hill from Arscott.

DSC01937.JPG

Climbing up The Long Mountain and looking towards the Brieddens.

DSC01943.JPG

The summit is in amongst those trees.

DSC01947.JPG

Heading down towards Welshpool now and crossing the well known long distance footpath.

DSC01949.JPG

Yay, made it to Welshpool.

DSC01953.JPG

The Earl and train of original GWR liveried carriages leaving Raven Square Station.

DSC01959.JPG

On my way out of town now and crossing the Montgomery Canal.

DSC01960.JPG

Dunno if it's just me, but this made me grin. (The place actually looks pretty posh).

DSC01961.JPG

Looking back - I've climbed a fair bit out of the valley already.

Steve Malkin

Veteran
Pleased to report that my ribs and thumb recovered sufficiently following Fridays crash to allow me to go on the club run today, a nice flattish run to Chester and back.
http://www.strava.com/activities/79170103
Out through Norley and Delamere where the roads were packed with riders doing the Manchester 100 - you've got to admire the hubris of some of those guys attempting a 100 miler on BSO mountain bikes clad in t-shirt and trainers!, hope they all got round OK.
We did a lap of Chester racecourse before stopping at a cafe on the banks of the Dee where I refueled fully with beans on toast and a large slab of lemon cake :hungry: All in all a most enjoyable ride.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Saving up for a new bike? :hyper:
Just got a new bike on c2W, money will probably go towards a holiday for next year .
Ohh and the wife had £2.5 k on a card i did not know about ............

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Went for a 12 miler around where I live to get back into this cycling lark after my joy of joys brush with sciatica. Headed out towards Atherton to take a photo of half a Morris Minor I had spotted driving around and then headed to the Leeds and Liverpool canal with it's super new fixie friendly surfaced tow path which sadly still suffers from lazy scum bags dropping rubbish all over the show :cursing: Had a good ride and here are the photo's .....normal service has returned !
Dead Moggy
Minorscrap2_zpsea91b7de.jpg
Bickershaw marina which a few years ago was wasteland full of derelict buildings
Planklanemarinaandbridge0_zpsd9528abd.jpg
Plank lane lift bridge in action on the Leeds & Liverpool canal
Planklanemarinaandbridge15_zpsceab6552.jpg
Nice new signage
NCN55sign0_zps63a4392c.jpg
Just up from the lift bridge is this piece of industrial art work made from old lock gates
Lockgateart0_zps08549b2a.jpg
This is five old lock gates,truly stunning use of old canal workings
Lockgateart1_zps56a5f2d6.jpg
Lockgateart2_zps49ec1b22.jpg
Lockgateart15_zps242341ad.jpg
Old mills by the canal
Oldmillsoncanal0_zpsbfc69704.jpg
Oldmillsoncanal6_zps860b0d57.jpg
Oldmillsoncanal8_zpsd6a5f6ee.jpg
Swan flying down the canal
Oldmillsoncanal7_zps6b401263.jpg

My mates and I gossiped a bit long in the cafe this morning and missed the fast guys, so went of in the intermediate group, but I'm glad we did and we had a really enjoyable ride. Most of them pulled off but my mate (who was hit from behind a month back) stayed all the way to the end, chapeau :bravo:
It was forecast to be grey and cooler but it was anything but as the three of us got too Oundle and another cafe :wahhey:
It was so nice, after a quick pit stop, I went out for another ride.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A nice 139 miler with @rb58 & @Trickedem of this parish. To Saffron Walden for an all day brekkie. And back home. Perfect cycling weather. A little chilly to start but soon warmed up, but not too warm. A little headwind and some great tailwinds.

So that Septembers 100+ miler out of the way. Century number 21 for the year to date, and my 97th Century over all.

c97.jpg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Saturday's Ride (a good one btw)

Just back from a 2 day .........
Unfortuantly I missed the strava 750km in a month badge by 6km,........Failsworth is not somewhere I want to cycle around on an expensive bike when we had failed to bring any locks with us (!) and cycling into Oldham involved a hill I had no wish to cycle unnecessarily so I baled on the badge!

Fantastic ride and passed within about 100mtrs of my house in Ashton when you cycled along Whitelands road. You also rode along the old railway from Ashton to Park Bridge. That's pretty much the route I use to cycle the kids to school and is a great way to get off the busy roads :thumbsup:

I like the way that the Mottram Rd climb looks like a mountain on the profile when in reality it is just an inconvenient lump :whistle:

Moda

Was planning about 50 miles but got a call early Sunday saying the MiL would be visiting. Decided on an early and fastish 30 miles.

After 10 miles my bum started to feel sore by 15 I was spending most of my time out of the saddle on the pedals. Got back having cut the ride short to just under 20 miles. Bit of a disappointment and surprising that the saddle soreness is back.

Anyway got the pleasure of spending extra time with the MiL ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom