Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It was warm and there was :sun: out there today so a ride was in order this afternoon. I felt the hills calling to me so headed off to the Long Mynd.

It was the usual route to start with: Condover, Ryton, Longnor but this time I headed into Leebotwood and climbed up to High park from that side. It's still just as big a climb as ever - 1080 feet over approx three and a quarter miles but apart from one section it's relatively steady.

From High Park I headed up to Pole Bank (the summit) passing a few mountain bikers on the way, then I headed towards the gliding club, where there was a bit of flying activity, and followed the permissive path round the edge of the airfield before descending via Nutbatch.

Nearing Minton I caught up with another group of mountain bikers. One was pushing and another was riding on a completely flat tyre - they'd obviously had a good time.:whistle: I offered my services to help with the flat: The tube had originally been pinch punctured and having been run flat had a few more holes. I offered a spare tube for the knockabout bike that I happened to have with me, but annoyingly it didn't fit as it's a Schraeder valve and the MTB unusually had presta ones.:rolleyes: We made an attempt at patching the tube but after 10 patches were fitted and more holes were still being found, gave it up as a bad job.:wacko: His mates decided to ride the rest of the way back and come back in a car to pick up the bike & rider. (Kind of wish they'd said that before we started messing around with patches.:tongue:)

Passing Minton and Little Stretton I ended up in Church Stretton where a moron towing a caravan pulled out directly in front of me forcing an emergency stop and some fruity language. I don't know what he was thinking - as i approached he seemed to have seen me yet waited until I was practically on top of him before pulling out. A passer by reckoned the guy had aimed at me on purpose - I don't think he was far wrong.:sad:

Nearing Ryton on the way back a Landrover & horsebox pulled out in front of me - this time though I saw them before they could see me and was ready to stop. The driver was apologetic for holding me up, which was appreciated.:smile:

The rest of the trip back was fortunately uneventful and thanks to a brisk tailwind, also quite fast.:bicycle:

Today's mileage was 35.6 and the average was 12.2 which I'm happy with on such a hilly route.

DSC02049.JPG

Pausing at Woolstaston on the climb up to High Park.

DSC02052.JPG

En route from High Park to Pole Bank and looking down Carding Mill Valley towards Church Stretton.

DSC02053.JPG

Up by the toposcope at Pole Bank.

DSC02056.JPG

Nearing the gliding club and a glider is being prepped for launch. (They use a winch launching system most of the time)

DSC02057.JPG

An autogiro getting ready for takeoff. The company that imports these is based only a mile away at Wentnor Prolley Moor.

DSC02059.JPG

And there they go into the wide blue yonder.

DSC02061.JPG

Heading south of the airfield and looking west into the valley and towards Wales.

DSC02062.JPG

The easy bit. Descending on the forestry road to Hamperley.

DSC02064.JPG

Little Stretton now and All Saints Church. Yes, it is thatched.

Last edited:

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
What lovely views Phill and great photos.

potsy

Rambler
Not been out very much recently, mojo is suffering, decided today was the day to get back out there.
42 miles around the Cheshire lanes with a couple of friends even ran into CC'er @gam001 along the route and he came with us as far as Tatton park where we were stopping for cake, he carried on his own way :hello:

Could tell I'd lost a bit of fitness but the others dragged me round for a decent (for me) average of 17mph, even got waited on at the cafe :cuppa:

waiter service.jpg

All the flagship bikes were out as it was a :sun: day, perfect.

flagships are out.jpg

gam001

Über Member
You put in a good surge near Mere potsy - still got it mate :thumbsup:
I made it to my house viewing with 1 minute to spare...not sure they were expecting a guy on a bike in lycra, but at least I made a memorable impression (it's a new build, rather than where someone lives!) ^_^

EDIT - oh, and I also saw @400bhp and @Hacienda71 later on near Mobberley :thumbsup:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
49 miles this morning with the club, should not have had that 5th pint last night, going for a nap now.^_^

kipster

Guru
Led a club ride this morning (1st time). It was the foundation group. A lovely 40 miles with about 2400 ft of climbing (my Garmin 200 doesn't seem to do altitude calculations very well and seems to have lost 500ft ;) ). A bit cloudy out, but plenty warm enough and a bit of a breeze. Next week I hope to be back out with the medium group for a 60 ish mile ride. I think my lad should be ok with the foundation group without me.

http://www.strava.com/activities/85452242

postman

Legendary Member
Got up at 07-15 for a longish ride by myself.My mates tyre got slashed by glass last week and he has not had time to replace it.So at 07-15 i took one look at the weather and got back into bed.Ha ha,woke again just after 09-00,had brekkie did some family ironing the got bike out to clean it.11-30 the sun came out by 11-50 i was out and on my way to Otley just 24 wonderful warm miles and two lattes.A good day all in all.

burndust

Parts unknown...baby
The sun was shining and a mate rang to see if I fancied going out, so it was time to do another hilly ride.

This time, it was straight up the Keighley Road for a 4.5 mile warm-up climb! A quick descent towards Oxenhope was followed by the tough little climb of Hill House Edge Lane. How steep? I'm not sure (17%?), but a good test for a steep ramp is when you are relieved to get to the 10% bit beyond it!

View attachment 29947

View attachment 29948

My pal had done this route before, I'm sure of it, but his old braincells were playing up and he couldn't remember it. How anybody could forget a climb like that, I don't know ...

We continued round what is a lovely lane, enjoying the unseasonal sunshine. The only problem was 3 or 4 speeding white vans coming the other way. Normally, that is a quiet road, but we soon found out why it has gained new 'rat run' status - the unmade section of road across Warley Moor, has been, er, made! I preferred it when it was gravel-strewn and potholed - at least it persuaded many people to drive the long way round.

I encountered fellow CycleChatter @goodspeed whizzing down the hill towards me. We stopped for a quick chat before I set off again in pursuit of my cycling partner.

We passed over Cold Edge which is presumably named as such because it is the highest point for miles around, at about 1,450 ft, and it gets damn cold up there at times! It was a breezy today, but the mild air temperatures took the chill off it.

We descended through Wainstalls village to Saltonstall Lane, where we took a left turn down Bank House Lane which plunges down into a valley and then immediately kicks back up towards Booth.

View attachment 29952

View attachment 29953

We turned right up Jerusalem Lane. It is one of my favourite local roads, with great views down into the gorgeous Luddenden Dean. (There is a campsite at Jerusalem Lane which would be a fine place to stay if you fancy a camping holiday in this area. Lots of choice of great walks and bike rides, and a couple of pubs within walking distance of the site.)

My legs were starting to get tired, which was not surprising really given the severity of the climbing, and my current lack of fitness.

We finished our ride by climbing back up through Midgley, along Heights Road to Old Town, then did a rapid descent back into Hebden Bridge via Sandy Lane and Birchcliffe Road. I took @potsy down there after a pub lunch on a forum ride last year - he found it simply exhilarating! :thumbsup:

Ride stats: 17.5 miles, 2,400 ft of climbing.

This ride report © 2013 Routes for Hill Wimp to Avoid Productions.

reminds me of the hills round my way...proper hills

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I was supposed to go out on a club run this morning but i chose not to as i had such a great ride out yesterday and had unfinished business/miles to do due to the fact i had to get back early. So with the :sun: out and it being nice and warm with no forecast of :rain: i set off. First 10 miles the same as yesterday.

Kevin Mcloud of Grand Designs fame obviously had some influence over this property. Whatever takes your fancy i suppose ??
DSCF1095.JPG

Onwards and upwards towards Goudhurst where i worked out i used to live 20 years ago this year. The church and one of the 3 pubs still remain the same todays as when the smugglers used them 100 years ago.
DSCF1101.JPG
DSCF1103.JPG

Then tea and a flapjack in the village bakery where i met 3 gents and fellow cyclists just having a bacon sarnie, before they cycled off for lunch in a nice pub.

Then i hit the lanes again up past one of Her Majesties Pleasure Palaces and gentlemens clubs HMP Blantyre
DSCF1104.JPG

passing one of the numerous Oast houses we have in the Garden
DSCF1105.JPG

by now the rain had arrived so it was quick sharp through the orchards as i didn't bring my rainwear
DSCF1112.JPG

and back towards the Watermill.

38 miles and a total of 994ft in climbs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom