Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Why is it even when you have had a bad day.Struggled or cycled slow or you GOT OFF i did two weeks ago.When home you have that wondeful glow of satisfaction.Today i just did 24 miles after going out late.But outside my fave cafe in Otley the owner came out to have a word.He said he had been watching me and i looked happy relaxed and contented,he said he could see me watching the people and the world just walking by my table.Ain't cycling grand.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Why is it even when you have had a bad day.Struggled or cycled slow or you GOT OFF i did two weeks ago.When home you have that wondeful glow of satisfaction.Today i just did 24 miles after going out late.But outside my fave cafe in Otley the owner came out to have a word.He said he had been watching me and i looked happy relaxed and contented,he said he could see me watching the people and the world just walking by my table.Ain't cycling grand.

Certainly is :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 23692

What cracking weather :smile:

I wasn't planning on getting out today, but I discovered that the ride I had planned for tomorrow would be sharing the road with some charity ride/sportive event or something like that. So, as quick change of plans saw me I venturing through the wonderful area of countryside between the River Eden and North Pennines, dropping down to cross the Eden at Lazonby, where I stopped for a wee while...

laz_zps5468b7f6.jpg

.... before continuing out of the Eden Valley to cross the River Petteril at Plumpton and following the western side of the Pettrill valley back home.

38miles with 2100ft ascent @15.5mph average. Didn't see any other folk on bikes ... where were they all?

full.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I was supposed to go out on a club run this morning but i chose not to as i had such a great ride out yesterday and had unfinished business/miles to do due to the fact i had to get back early. So with the :sun: out and it being nice and warm with no forecast of :rain: i set off. First 10 miles the same as yesterday.

Kevin Mcloud of Grand Designs fame obviously had some influence over this property. Whatever takes your fancy i suppose ?? View attachment 30039

Onwards and upwards towards Goudhurst where i worked out i used to live 20 years ago this year. The church and one of the 3 pubs still remain the same todays as when the smugglers used them 100 years ago. View attachment 30040 View attachment 30041

Then tea and a flapjack in the village bakery where i met 3 gents and fellow cyclists just having a bacon sarnie, before they cycled off for lunch in a nice pub.

Then i hit the lanes again up past one of Her Majesties Pleasure Palaces and gentlemens clubs HMP Blantyre View attachment 30042

passing one of the numerous Oast houses we have in the Garden View attachment 30043

by now the rain had arrived so it was quick sharp through the orchards as i didn't bring my rainwear View attachment 30044

and back towards the Watermill.

38 miles and a total of 994ft in climbs.

Another vote for Hill Wimp's bike, much better use of celeste than on Bianchis were it's over done.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A 22 mile circuit here in the sunny flatlands this afternoon. The Cambridgeshire Bird Club website had been reporting an osprey all week at a remote nature reserve called Kingfisher Bridge, (between Ely and Wicken). I could'nt pass up the chance to see an osprey, so off I went, via the Lodes Way and Upware.

On arrival, I wasn't disappointed- the unmistakable sight of an osprey diving for fish in the lake. Sadly I didn't have my good camera, only a phone, so this is the best I could get (it's rubbish I know- the osprey the whitish blob, the other blob is a marsh harrier that was harrassing it)

download.jpg

I watched it fish for a good half an hour before it was joined by another! You wait years for an osprey and suddenly two appear. I reckon these could be Scotttish birds, stopping over to fatten up before heading for West Africa, though Scandinavian birds have also been known to pass through as well.

It's a lovely spot this, with a good view of Ely Cathedral as well (middle of pic above the hide). And I had it to myself which was great.
View.jpg

Then I headed back through Wicken Fen. Loads of cyclists out today which was good to see. Bumped into another 'Lodes Way Irregular' near Burwell Lode (below) who was out for a spin. Its funny how often we meet up on our various circuits of the area. You can see the egde of some cloud in the pic which thankfully stayed just to the south of us all day here.
Lode.jpg

I stopped for a cuppa at the bird hide at Tubney Fen before weaving my way home along this track near Reach. I found my binoculars case lying in a field which I must have dropped last Tuesday - bit of a result as I'd turned the house upside down looking for it earlier!
Drove.jpg

Back by 5ish for a gallon of tea- a great day to be out on the bike!

Technically this ride was last night and this morning; a night ride organized by @mcshroom from Carlisle to Newcastle Quayside, a total of 64 miles and it was probably the best ride of my life; it was amazing:thumbsup:. There were nearly 15 people on this ride, some came from Scotland, a few from manchester and one from near London. The rest were from Cumbria/North East. Most of the ride was in complete darkness where decent lights were a must, there was a couple of long steep climbs, the first being at Banks (probably got its name from this hill), the second (I might be wrong here) a Greenheads. There were several short rests and a longer one at Hexham Tesco store. Night rides are really fun rides and I am well up for other ones

Seamab

I set off this morning heading for Stirling to check out a 25mile TT route. It was gloriously sunny on departing but 3 miles down the road i was enveloped by fog. Thinking it was probably just patchy i carried on but after climbing to higher ground and being unable to see through the film of moisture on my glasses, i stopped. I turned around and headed for home on a higher route to come back out of the fog. It seemed that for a radius of a couple of miles around Dollar it was sunny and everywhere else was fog bound. Strange...

A couple of hours later, after breakfast, i set off again heading east (opposite direction) having decided on a route i thought might make a favourable 25 mile TT. No problems with visibility this time. The route i planned amazingly came in dead on the 25 miles and i covered it 1hr 7mins 48 secs at an avg speed of 22.1mph. Quite pleased with that but i'll need to find another 3mph to break the hour. Seems unlikely but you never know! Got to have a realistic target to aim for, so i'll set 1hr 6min as an interim goal. (And keep trying to find a faster circuit!)

Chris1983

I officially completed my first 50+ mile ride this morning :bicycle: We set off at 6:45am this morning and headed into the Peak District, the route....up Mam Tor and back
This time with a couple of small modifications to ensure I hit 50miles...last time it was 48miles...

I made it ^_^ a total of 51.8 miles and 4190ft climbed...a ride time of 3 hours 47mins (avg. 13.7 mph)...we stopped off at the cafe for cake and coffee which added another 30mins on that...but a great way to spend a late September morning...although it was very foggy up in the hills and a bit :cold: but after the break :hungry: The :sun: came out and it was a great ride back.

I also set a new PB up Winnats Pass ^_^

My legs really felt the last 4 or 5 miles though and i really dropped off the pace...and i'm feeling the 52 miles so much more than the 48miles completed a few weeks ago (and on that ride I did an avg. 15MPH)

The Gradient Profile:
9984443235_4138346dae_b.jpg

Next week time and weather permitting we are looking to extend it to 62+ miles (a metric century :becool:)

As i said in my status update i got a new set of lights on the old mtb and i waited till darkness to get out to play. First up was a run out on the Arbroath / Brechin road to get to my mums. A cup o tea and a blether later i was back out and onto the dark country roads to get some darkness miles in.The lights are so much better than my old ones and i feel more confidant that the traffic can see me. All in all a total of 7 miles and the lights road tested . Even bought some beer to mark the occasion. Ride safe . Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom