Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I spent the last week in San Francisco, CA visiting my brother and his wife who have made this wonderful city their home.

I could not resist this opportunity to test my climbing prowess on an actual mountain, rather than the hills we get here in Scotland. My target of choice: Mount Tamalpais - located within easy reach of the city, across a certain famous bridge, and offering nice views across the bay.

So, on a very nice Thursday morning I went to the wonderfully named Blazing Saddles hire shop and got my hands on a Fuji Roubaix road bike. The friendly staff mounted my own pedals I had brought from home and and helped my with directions out of the city. Within minutes of setting off from the shop I was on the traffic-free path along the North Beach towards the bridge. Before getting to the turn-off point as instructed by the shop staff I spotted a diversion sign and set off up the hill. I must have missed a second sign, because when I got to the top I found myself heading very much the wrong way. No matter, I got myself turned around and soon arrived at the parking lot at the south end of the Golden Gate Bridge.

13493116_34606c0842febfe0ff7f8ad45abb8548_standard.jpg

For some reason I have not quite understood, access to the west side path of the bridge is restricted to certain times, so the east side was shared between throngs of pedestrians and cyclists heading in both directions. Safely on the other side I joined the road (with generously wide cycle lanes), dropping into and through the city of Sausalito. Once on the other side I arrived at the highway 1 junction and the bottom of the climb.
13493124_0dac3e1165d964e9e5d1fe8b0c0b28c3_standard.jpg

The climb up was long, with many hairpins, but not terrifyingly steep, and even a decently long flat bit about 1/3 of the way up. I took it at a relatively gentle pace, making sure I had enough in the tank to reach the top. In total, the 17km, 750 m climb took me just over an hour to complete. As I turned off the "Panoramic Highway" to the minor road I encountered a road closed barrier. A local cyclist told me that this was due to the fire risk in the dry weather, and that it was fine to proceed (as long as I didn't plan on dropping any cigarette butts...). The closure meant the last 5-6 km of ascent was traffic-free, and the parking lot at the top completely abandoned. Thus, I was left alone to enjoy the spectacular views of the San Francisco Bay and the Pacific Ocean.
13493140_a46cee3b23c082bc66e10bd914d8e096_standard.jpg

13493154_d5f631ea7f18e719c589a1a4ed828c8a_standard.jpg

Satisfied with the days work I headed back down, enjoying some fast traffic-free hairpins and getting slightly nervy at a couple of un-barricaded cliff-face verges. I went back to the bridge almost the way I came, but went into town on the roads rather than the path. I actually felt less at risk of an accident here due to the lack of oblivious tourists and inexperienced cyclists!

http://www.strava.com/activities/85198517

If you find yourself in San Francisco I can really recommend getting a bike from Blazing Saddles. The staff is friendly, the bike selection is very good, and both the city centre and the countryside is very bike friendly (as long as you don't mind a few hills!). I have already begun looking for the mountain to conquer the next time I visit my brother.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I spent the last week in San Francisco, CA visiting my brother and his wife who have made this wonderful city their home.

I could not resist this opportunity to test my climbing prowess on an actual mountain, rather than the hills we get here in Scotland. My target of choice: Mount Tamalpais - located within easy reach of the city, across a certain famous bridge, and offering nice views across the bay.

So, on a very nice Thursday morning I went to the wonderfully named Blazing Saddles hire shop and got my hands on a Fuji Roubaix road bike. The friendly staff mounted my own pedals I had brought from home and and helped my with directions out of the city. Within minutes of setting off from the shop I was on the traffic-free path along the North Beach towards the bridge. Before getting to the turn-off point as instructed by the shop staff I spotted a diversion sign and set off up the hill. I must have missed a second sign, because when I got to the top I found myself heading very much the wrong way. No matter, I got myself turned around and soon arrived at the parking lot at the south end of the Golden Gate Bridge.

13493116_34606c0842febfe0ff7f8ad45abb8548_standard.jpg

For some reason I have not quite understood, access to the west side path of the bridge is restricted to certain times, so the east side was shared between throngs of pedestrians and cyclists heading in both directions. Safely on the other side I joined the road (with generously wide cycle lanes), dropping into and through the city of Sausalito. Once on the other side I arrived at the highway 1 junction and the bottom of the climb.
13493124_0dac3e1165d964e9e5d1fe8b0c0b28c3_standard.jpg

The climb up was long, with many hairpins, but not terrifyingly steep, and even a decently long flat bit about 1/3 of the way up. I took it at a relatively gentle pace, making sure I had enough in the tank to reach the top. In total, the 17km, 750 m climb took me just over an hour to complete. As I turned off the "Panoramic Highway" to the minor road I encountered a road closed barrier. A local cyclist told me that this was due to the fire risk in the dry weather, and that it was fine to proceed (as long as I didn't plan on dropping any cigarette butts...). The closure meant the last 5-6 km of ascent was traffic-free, and the parking lot at the top completely abandoned. Thus, I was left alone to enjoy the spectacular views of the San Francisco Bay and the Pacific Ocean.
13493140_a46cee3b23c082bc66e10bd914d8e096_standard.jpg

13493154_d5f631ea7f18e719c589a1a4ed828c8a_standard.jpg

Satisfied with the days work I headed back down, enjoying some fast traffic-free hairpins and getting slightly nervy at a couple of un-barricaded cliff-face verges. I went back to the bridge almost the way I came, but went into town on the roads rather than the path. I actually felt less at risk of an accident here due to the lack of oblivious tourists and inexperienced cyclists!

http://www.strava.com/activities/85198517

If you find yourself in San Francisco I can really recommend getting a bike from Blazing Saddles. The staff is friendly, the bike selection is very good, and both the city centre and the countryside is very bike friendly (as long as you don't mind a few hills!). I have already begun looking for the mountain to conquer the next time I visit my brother.

That takes a bit of beating, looks excellent.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Just extended commutes for me. The forecast said it was going to be wet and windy tonight, so I got up a wee bit earlier and extended the AM Commute. It was a wee bit misty at first but by the end :sun: unfortunately I had to go to work then :wacko:
The heavy rain passed over before the pm commute so that was extended too.

EXACTLY my tactic today too HLaB, although not extending my PM commute by much. My legs are shot this week, headwind has been smashing me to bits every home time on every day.

robjh

Legendary Member
Not quite today's ride, but two days last weekend and I wasn't near the computer at the time so that's my excuse for the delay :whistle:

I was staying near Newport in South Wales, after a fantastic Friday ride with other Cycle Chatters which took us over the Gospel Pass to Hay-on-Wye and back, and I decided to stay on and make a weekend of it.

Saturday morning was drizzly, and I just did a 32 mile circuit to Caerphilly and back, going up the Sirhowy valley, mainly on a tarmacced cycle path along an old railway track that led smoothly up through the trees to the valley head, and I dropped into Caerphilly via Senghenydd, on a minor road that first climbed up over a belt of high moorland criss-crossed by electricity pylons. I was quite intrigued by the South Wales valleys - the valley floors are largely occupied by long thin and rather depressed-looking villages, and tightly-packed housing estates for industries that have disappeared, but the countryside is never far away, with woods and hill-farms that could be in mid-Wales, and bare moorlands above. Getting out of the valleys is also great for cyclists who like hills.

That afternoon I did another 56 miles, to the Severn Bridge and back. First though I stopped at another bridge, the Transporter Bridge in Newport. It is a huge metal gantry that shuttles a little ferry-like platform above the river Usk, and must have once linked parts of the docks although it is now bypassed by a modern bridge and new fast roads. But it still runs for tourists like me, and at 50p I couldn't say no.

Newport Transporter Bridge
C-20130928 (17) Newport Transporter Bridge.jpg
C-20130928 (25) Newport Transporter Bridge.jpg

From there on I followed the A48 to Chepstow, and onto the cycle path over the first Severn Bridge. I went over it to the English side, then swapped sides and rode back to Wales again. It was 6 pm by this time and the sun was low, and I returned to Newport via Caldicott, and a brand new dual-carriageway, the A4810, that wasn't on my map - it ran arrow-straight for about 4 miles past the site of Llanwern steelworks, with not another vehicle in sight.

Severn Bridge
C-20130928 (47) Severn Bridge.jpg
C-20130928 (50) Severn Bridge.jpg

Sunday was sunny but blustery and I did 117 miles, up to Brecon and back on a route that took in gentle green country lanes, the post-industrial valleys and the high moors to either side of the Brecon Beacons. I stopped in Caerleon and had a look at the well-preserved Roman amphitheatre.

River Usk at Caerleon, and the Roman amphitheatre
C-20130929 (10) Caerleon River Usk.jpg
C-20130929 (14a) Caerleon amphitheatre.jpg

but the high points were crossing the high ground to and from Brecon :

on the B4560 over Llangattock mountain, heading for Llangynidr ; the upper Tawe valley, between Trecastle and Glyntawe
C-20130929 (32) B4560 on Llangatock Mountain.jpg
C-20130929 (50) road over Fforest Fawr.jpg

I stopped near the summit on the way back, between the tops of Fforest Fawr and Mynydd Du, and spent too long admiring the view, so that I ended up later with a very long ride through urban parts from Aberdare to Pontypridd to Caerphilly as it was getting dark. Route-finding around Pontypridd was fairly horrible, as the old main road has been chopped up into barely-connected chunks and all the long-distance signposts try to (mis)direct you onto the murderous A470 expressway, but it was a mildish evening and I got back an hour or so after darkness fell.

Last edited:

Spartak