Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK - today's ride. Unlike the rest of the country we started the day with Blue Skies (otherwise known as the acronym BS in this household...) :sun:
It didn't last long though and we set out in heavy, cold rain into a headwind uphill and cursing; the rain soon through hail at us just to add insult to injury and thoughst along the lines of quitting were coming into my mind - exactly how stupid am I?. Before long we met 2 other cyclists - they looked happy - downhill and tailwind... humph.... equally mad were my thoughts. A few mins later, we actually found someone madder than ourselves - actually 2 people madder than ourselves, 2 horse riders. Now at least we are generating our on warmth... 30 mins later and the torrential rain stopped as suddenly as it started and the sun came out - but it was to take another hour before we have 'dried' off.

Lunch was taken somewhere on the Cheshire Greenway, the 2nd picnic bench... the first being too exposed in the wind for my liking... :cold:
Then it was a case of we had decided to follow the Cheshire Greenway all the way to the end. It sounded so simple on paper, but paper never comments about headwinds or rain.

DSC_0109a.JPG

Rain front - you can stop of 1 photo only, then keep going otherwise we are going to get very wet....

IMG_0082.JPG

Looks nice towards Wales - keep going....

IMG_0085.JPG

Not so nice looking back towards England.... Yeh - OK I baled and took shelter under a bridge!

DSC_0110a.JPG

Don't cycle too fast - England looks rather wet again....

DSC_0116a.JPG

Err - not so nice behind (back towards Wales)

DSC_0117a.JPG

Looks better towards England, but its a nasty side wind that has just enough of a hint of a headwind to it to really slow you down...

Somehow we managed to dodge most of the rain, but not all of the wind! I have reached the conclusion that the River Dee is not a good place to cycle on a windy day.... I struggled big time and frequently needed my OH for shelter to keep the speed at something respectable.

Just as the worst of the weather found us in Chester, we happened to be alongside a Costa Drive Through, so we, OK I baled and decided that a soya latte with loads of sugar was the order of the day. I took advantage of the toilets to dry my merino wool top (sweat) on the UV light had drier, so have zapped the bugs for another day of supposedly not smelling :laugh: and we waited the worst of the squall out and then set off again for the final leg home and the biggest and steepest of the climbs as well. I had absolutely no power/strength left in my legs when we hit the 15% gradient and it showed... I almost came to a complete and utter halt at one point - even standing on the pedals said my legs had nothing left in them... exhaustion was close - luckily the easier gradient was closer and I just (this is a very big just) survived. I know it was almost impossible to balance and cycle any slower... so know my cadence must have been in the low 40's which is my lowest limit. If I knew how to get the data off my new Garmin Edge 500 (with cadence meter) I would tell you what it was at, but I'm not sure if I have it set up correctly yet... the height readings for today are a touch 'dodgy' to say the least... It thinks we have climbed 1,128m - the Garmin Edge 200 records 340m instead! Much more like it I suspect... guess it is probably user error from forgetting that it was on 'pause' for 3.5km of my route!

Then it was a less than speedy return home, getting home 15 mins before the next squall came through... time in our favour yet again. Now exhausted and suspect that this could be the last 'pleasure ride' my OH gets in before returning to work on Monday - though we may sneak a sneaky Sunday mtb ride in if the weather has not brought too many trees down... http://www.strava.com/activities/103729567

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Despite the fact that I was queue-ing in traffic,travelling home from my son's home, at the roundabout in front of that emporium I overtook all of them McLarens & my car cost nearer to £236 than £236K & it will also carry several bikes; ftw:thumbsup:
That's my kind of spend on cars and this roundabout is wonderful in rush hour.........on a bike ^_^ I do wonder about these sort of showrooms how busy they get with the cars being such a niche product,i would go mad working there :crazy:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Windy early start heading to Dewsbury pool and back for a swim on the 'Heap of Junk' bike: http://www.strava.com/activities/103665016 Well, it cost £10 but the LH crank keeps coming loose. The bolt's glued for now but I want it dismantled in the spring.

Then a 'standard' commute to work since I'd got a pile of assignments with me. Got to be careful :thumbsup: . Used the Secteur as it's the only road bike still working. Followed by an 'extended' commute home in the wind/rain via Bradford with a flat a mile from home: http://www.strava.com/activities/103725434 It seemed as if the world and his/her dogs were out on the Greenway (Sustrans route 66) between Bradford and Dewsbury.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I took the Kickbike out for a 24km ride. It was Wet,Wet,Wet. That fine drizzle stuff that gets everywhere. Going through the woods was like a quagmire. Not so bad on a bike but filthy on a Kickbike.

I came across three stags all together with a bunch of their girlfriends. Those stags are huge when you get quite close to them.

2014-01-004_zpse3548a09.jpg

Steve

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
After a rather nervous morning, and with some trepidation, I ventured out for my first outdoor ride since being hospitalised again in September. Comforted by the fact that my good lady promised to stay home by the phone (and be available to collect if it went wrong), I donned my laughing outfit (read bib longs and jersey), topped it off with the new bargain Altura Varium jacket and pedalled off into the early morning sunshine:sun:
I had no great plans for today, other than getting a few sedate miles under my belt and restoring lost confidence, so pootled around Thorpe village a couple of times before heading off to the other side of Thorpe Park. Crossing the first M3 bridge saw my first fellow cyclist going the opposite direction and a nice hello, then down past the pub and back up onto the 2nd M3 bridge where I stopped for a little drink and pic.
View attachment 35457
You can just make out some of the Thorpe Park rollercoasters if you look closely. It was here that I had my 2nd hello from another cyclist:smile:
After about 5 miles I started hurting a bit so rather than extend the ride outwards I got within half a mile of home and did a few circuits which eased the pains nicely. So a rather sedate 9 miles for me in just under an hour, but how wonderful it was to be back out in the real world on a bike:wahhey:

Well done and joy to the world no more posts from the turbo :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You will be telling us next, you are still on gas light and have a well for your water.
I was pretty amazed to read that 97% of all households in the UK had central heating by 2011. I would have guessed 75-80%!

I do have electric light and running water, but I do not have one of those new-fangled circuit breaker boards. When there is a lighting fault in my house, a fuse wire pops and I have to fiddle about in my cellar with my bike's front light held in my teeth! :laugh:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
A late out this morning..
24 ml, dropping down to join the A8 then to Langbank, bagging a FTF on a new geocache then up through Bishie. A long haul (for me) along the Georgetown Rd to Houston turning off to join 75 at Locher water then home. A shout out to all the cyclists who were out this morning on the route. I met these guys on the way home...(its okay, they are allegedly the infamous Lost Legion XVII)
LostLegionxvii_zpsce6c9f7a.jpg

Went ou for a little one this morning with BT 7 miles on wet muddy roads, freezing cold but lovely just to get back out and burn off a few Xmas calories, came home absolutely manky but worth the effort, used my Garmin 500 for the first time but got a bit confused, every time I checked speed it was between 15-17mph yet it puts our average at 11.6mph.............if I was using strava the total miles would be just over 8 but with the garmin its just 7.

I would imagine the Garmin is the more accurate out of the 2

alans

black belt lounge lizard
In an effort to maintain some momentum to the recent mojo revival I decided to cycle rather than drive into Uttoxeter to buy some brake blocks.
Badbits: any slight "up" bit was a struggle
my breathable coat didn't breathe & I rapidly become uncomfortably damp within the coat
my Abus cafe lock broke as I attempted to use it outside the bike shop
the bike shop didn't have a cafe lock in stock
the bike shop didn't have the brake blocks that wanted
I had less cash in my pocket than I expected:blush:
I was never comfortable;either too hot or too cold depending on wether I was huffing&puffing up the
slightest uphill or freewheeling at any energy conserving opportunity.
my helmet has rubbed a sore patch onto my forehead at the hair line
my ar$e aches
my back aches

Goodbits none:sad:

I also had to raise the saddle approx 20mm to get my riding position correct.That's a bit of a mystery because I stopped growing 43 years ago.
All things considered that was the least enjoyable ride for some years & that's not an exaggeration.I know I've lost a lot of fitness during my mojo dearth but I'm shocked at the complete lack of strength in my calf & thigh muscles & lower back.A return to audaxing is a loooong way off.

24km;64 mins ride time.
Totally cream crackered:surrender:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom