Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Those of us old enough to have lived in single glazed houses without central heating have more than an idea of how cold it it.
We lived in a terraced house for years where the sash cord windows had the panes of glass tacked in place with no putty ! Oh the good old days of hearing and feeling the wind blow through :eek: All we did was add extra blankets or clothes :ph34r:

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Set of yesterday around 6.30 for a 70mile ride through lanes avoiding main roads, as i went past Blackburn and towards Chorley i found out why Sir Brad lives there, its full of bleedin hills, and my front mech (triple) had seized up on the middle ring giving me a 39 tooth for both up the hills and down the other side.

Had a great ride apart from getting lost and turning down a lane that looked like the home of Bilbo Baggins and his gang, and after two miles of breath holding awaiting a puncture, realised it was going to a dead end.

Stopped at my mate Andys at the half way point to laugh erm mean consolidate after having an operation on his shoulder, then slipping in the bathroom on his first day out of hospital breaking his leg, so is now sat there with no arm or leg, and a brand new bike sat in the garage that he had imported from America, oh life's so cruel.

The return seemed much harder than going, and had a nice head wind for company.

Last edited:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Forgot to add my Boxing Day ride so here goes.Headed out on the fixie before sunrise on a wonderful frosty morning towards my usual haunt around Tatton Park ( Potsy land) and on to Knutsford in search of a Gulf War Dambuster.On the way I stopped at a "Budget" car dealership to have a mooch at cars that cannot carry bikes very well ! Dambuster found and photographed I rode back towards Altrincham via Ashley and Hale to see how the old town had changed and then onto Timperley where I lived for most of my life.Found a local celebs memorial as well as my parents old house which has changed beyond recognition ( it has wind proof windows now ) Had to end the trip down memory lane to keep the boss happy so I rode down a nice and quiet Chester Road towards the Trafford Centre,joined the Bridgewater Way canal trail and home in time to have a nice dinner ! Photos as usual ......
Frosty East Lancs cycle path
SunriseAstleyandCulcheth1_zps27a83c72.jpg
Sunrise over Chat Moss from the East Lancs
SunriseAstleyandCulcheth2_zps245cf3bd.jpg
SunriseAstleyandCulcheth3_zps69aca5c8.jpg
Tatton Hall
TattonPark_zps5fdfec1e.jpg
"Budget" car dealer,the car in that window cost £236K !!!!! The fixie in front cost just over £500
MclarenKnutsford1_zpseb6ccafe.jpg
Finally found the Tornado parked up in an industrial estate in Knutsford,the old girl had served in the first Gulf War and belonged to the famous 617 " Dambuster" Squadron.
617sqnTornado0_zps06b10c53.jpg
617sqnTornado2_zpsd00f737b.jpg
Icy lanes near Ashley, had a little wobble here
LanesnearAshley1_zpsc8b0f8ba.jpg
Frank Sidebottom in Timperley village centre
FrankSidebottomstatueTimperley_zpsb428e1ba.jpg
Bridgewater canal at Worsley,nearly home and time for my first cake stop
Boxingdayride25_zps93e046c1.jpg
Boxingdayride27_zpsb93dc65d.jpg

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Those of us old enough to have lived in single glazed houses without central heating have more than an idea of how cold it it.

Waking up in the morning, and scraping ice of the inside of the glass, so as to see what the weather was like outside, getting dressed under the blankets then rushing down to sit in front of the coal fire . ,, The Good Old Days

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
You had a fire?! Pah.
I feel a Monty Python sketch coming on .........I lived in a box with a family of six, in a river !

View attachment 35295
Further on and the light is making this wreck look stunning. I had to stop to take a picture...
Is that on the Weaver along the path from the blue road bridge carrying the Chester road ? Cracking ride report altogether

Not the Chester road no. It's from the A49 River Weaver bridge, just below the 'Runcorn-Northwich/Warrington-Weaverham' traffic lights at Dutton Locks here.

alans

black belt lounge lizard
.On the way I stopped at a "Budget" car dealership to have a mooch at cars that cannot carry bikes very well !
"Budget" car dealer,the car in that window cost £236K !!!!! The fixie in front cost just over £500
MclarenKnutsford1_zpseb6ccafe.jpg

Despite the fact that I was queue-ing in traffic,travelling home from my son's home, at the roundabout in front of that emporium I overtook all of them McLarens & my car cost nearer to £236 than £236K & it will also carry several bikes; ftw:thumbsup:

simon.r

Person
An early ride home (by my standards - 6.45am start) into a 20mph headwind, showers and predominantly uphill, being blown sideways whenever I passed a side street. I was taking it easy on one of the few downhill sections, only to be overtaken by someone on a fixed gear - a rare sight in these parts!

I felt quite hardcore until then - and then a jogger in shorts and t-shirt and carrying a rucksack crossed my path:eek:

Yesterday's Ride report first...
We had the morning to ourselves - our only requirement to be at my parents' home by 2:30pm in order for my mother to drive to Manchester Airport to pick up my sister. We were needed for the various errands/jobs to be done and for us to 'step-father sit'. He still can't be left alone in the house in case he 'falls' - next op is Jan 7th so finger's crossed this one works!

So we decided on a roundabout route, finding more new roads and taking in some scenery... It was a beautiful day, blue skies, not too cold, and all that torrential rain overnight had washed most of the mud off the roads. We went out on roads unknown to us after Oulton Park and wandered along aimlessly enjoying the flat Cheshire countryside - unfortunately, flat = boring photos or no photos and yesterday was no different.

We found ourselves at Nantwich Marina at 12pm so decided on the need to eat and for once used a café. (Beans on toast... I think I got an entire can of beans though ....) From here, something quirky went on with my Garmin 200. It was working fine giving me directions etc as I followed a course we had laid in for navigation, but when I reached my parents' home, I tried the "Back to Start" option and it said calculating, then beeped continuously at me and turned itself off. Turning it back on all seemed fine, but when I uploaded the ride into Garmin Connect (and Strava), the ride information is all there, the correct distance and time is there, I just apparently flew from lunch to my parents home :wacko:... go figure. It even has it taking the correct amount of time!

Home was back via the direct route, no meandering - it was dark and the roads eerily quiet except for the large number of emergency vehicles out (2 ambulances thankfully overtaking us on a NSL unlit road without the need to put their sirens on - much appreciated). In total we saw 7 ambulances, 2 first response vehicles and 1 police mini-bus.... It had us a touch worried to be honest! We arrived home 10 mins before the rain started... talk about timing. 53.5 miles all said and told.

Oh - and I got an 8th place on "Cow Poo Climb"... lovely name :whistle:

Out- http://www.strava.com/activities/103558195
Home - http://www.strava.com/activities/103558191

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom