Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
New Year's day ride with a few Belles on Bikes and an honorary male Bello :laugh: across the deserted Glasgow streets. Bit chilly but highly enjoyable. Trying to keep a log of all my rides this year :hyper:
Got back home just in time to miss the torrential rain and the football traffic: only about 20 miles, really we did set out mainly for the company and the banter. Apparently another cycle chatter was sitting in our same coffee stop, too hangovered to come say hi!

IMAG1031.jpg

IMAG1032.jpg

IMAG1034.jpg

http://www.strava.com/activities/103326234

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
My New Year's Day ride started in Reeth, North Yorkshire and was to the Tan Hill Inn vias Arkengarthdale and back via Swaledale.

1560683_10152135117438330_451901888_n.jpg

The weather was overcast with low cloud/mist on the outward leg.

1546342_10152135117498330_323724892_n.jpg

The rain intensified as I approached Tan Hill and when I departed after supping a pint of Riggwelter. Folk were entering the pub complaining about the inclement weather having only crossed the road from the car park. They were agog when they saw me sitting at a table in a slowly growing puddle around my feet.

Motorist: Tell me you haven't peddaled here!
Me: I've pedalled here from Reeth.
Motorist: OMG!!! How are you going to get back?!!!!
Me: On my bike of course, how else?
Motorist: You're kidding me!
Me: No.

The motorist then walked to the bar shaking his head.

1499539_10152135117703330_921853846_n.jpg

1504994_10152135162168330_779329209_n.jpg

It was raining very heavily with a hint of hail and blowing a hoolie sadly 180 degrees in the wrong direction for a jet propelled return when I left the pub. Normally the sixteen mill downhill return leg is faster than the twelve mile uphill leg. Today this was not to be. I had to pedal downhill to maintain constant speed and hills that I normally ride up were unconquerable with the headwind that was blowing down them.

There was lots of run off water that converted stretches of road into lakes and streams but undaunted I pedalled through them all. I arrived back at Reeth unable to get any wetter if I was a fish.

1555408_10152135117853330_824252496_n.jpg

Source of the 'River Thwaite'

A total of 28 miles, 2600 feet of climbing, many strongly worded oaths and two complete kitchen rolls used to dry the bike and me before the drive home. A challenging but rewarding day out.

Addendum:

Just found the weather log I was out from 10:30 to 15:45 apart from a short stay in the Tan Hill and a couple of phone boxes where I sought brief respites.

Screen shot 2014-01-02 at 06.45.33.png

Screen shot 2014-01-02 at 06.49.57.png

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
After a rather nervous morning, and with some trepidation, I ventured out for my first outdoor ride since being hospitalised again in September. Comforted by the fact that my good lady promised to stay home by the phone (and be available to collect if it went wrong), I donned my laughing outfit (read bib longs and jersey), topped it off with the new bargain Altura Varium jacket and pedalled off into the early morning sunshine:sun:
I had no great plans for today, other than getting a few sedate miles under my belt and restoring lost confidence, so pootled around Thorpe village a couple of times before heading off to the other side of Thorpe Park. Crossing the first M3 bridge saw my first fellow cyclist going the opposite direction and a nice hello, then down past the pub and back up onto the 2nd M3 bridge where I stopped for a little drink and pic.
2nd Jan 2014 First Ride Out.jpg

You can just make out some of the Thorpe Park rollercoasters if you look closely. It was here that I had my 2nd hello from another cyclist:smile:
After about 5 miles I started hurting a bit so rather than extend the ride outwards I got within half a mile of home and did a few circuits which eased the pains nicely. So a rather sedate 9 miles for me in just under an hour, but how wonderful it was to be back out in the real world on a bike:wahhey:

After a rather nervous morning, and with some trepidation, I ventured out for my first outdoor ride since being hospitalised again in September. Comforted by the fact that my good lady promised to stay home by the phone (and be available to collect if it went wrong), I donned my laughing outfit (read bib longs and jersey), topped it off with the new bargain Altura Varium jacket and pedalled off into the early morning sunshine:sun:
I had no great plans for today, other than getting a few sedate miles under my belt and restoring lost confidence, so pootled around Thorpe village a couple of times before heading off to the other side of Thorpe Park. Crossing the first M3 bridge saw my first fellow cyclist going the opposite direction and a nice hello, then down past the pub and back up onto the 2nd M3 bridge where I stopped for a little drink and pic.
View attachment 35457
You can just make out some of the Thorpe Park rollercoasters if you look closely. It was here that I had my 2nd hello from another cyclist:smile:
After about 5 miles I started hurting a bit so rather than extend the ride outwards I got within half a mile of home and did a few circuits which eased the pains nicely. So a rather sedate 9 miles for me in just under an hour, but how wonderful it was to be back out in the real world on a bike:wahhey:
I've been across that bridge - on foot though - walk can be ok for bird watching

Spartak