Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just under 60 miles round the Douglas this morning. Dry when I left the house, rain by the time we got to Strathaven, sleet by Muirkirk which had turned to snow by the time we reached Douglas. Thankfully the weather improved a bit after that and it was dry by the time I got home. I nearly hit a pedestrian in Larkhall main street, she realised at the last second that I was moving pretty fast and checked her run.

My syrname is Douglas did you go round me?

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
30 something miles with a 30 something mph descent down a country lane that was forced to come to an abrupt halt thanks to a car ruining my fun by being responsible and respectful and overtaking some cyclists coming up the hill with enough room to make even the grumpiest helmet-cammer grudgingly acknowledge this display of courtesy. Problem was, I had to slow down to below 10mph to give the car enough time to get back on its side of the road / stop myself going over the bonnet. Harumph.

On the plus side, there was a bucket of coffee and a bowl of soup at the stop, followed by a slab of home-made Christmas cake at a friend's.

ScotiaLass

Guru
After all the encouragement on here, I looked out the window this morning and decided it was now or never!
I stuffed my new jacket into my backpack and was wearing a thermal layer, micro fleece and cycling top, although had to make do with summer weight tights.
No breeze today but a very grey sky, so I was expecting to get wet at some point!

I took my usual route and as I got to my half way (turning) point, the rain started.
Surprisingly, it didn't bother me...got my jacket on and kept on going.
On the big hill I made one stop then ploughed on up the incline to the village. It was easier than I remembered which was encouraging.
The feeling has since returned to my thighs...it was only really those and my knees that got cold, everything else was toasty ^_^
Hopefully now I've done one wet ride, I'll manage a few more!

gavgav

Guru
My 1st ride in 2014 today. Was intending to head out just after lunch, but after popping out to look at furniture shops this morning it started to chuck it down and so didn't get out until 2PM, after checking the rain radar which looked dry for the rest of the day.................

I headed out to the east of Shrewsbury on my usual route, through the estate where I had to perform an emergency stop after about 2 minutes due to a young lad appearing from between 2 parked cars into the road on his scooter, without looking! :eek: Good job I wasn't a car is all I will say. I continued down to Shrewsbury Sports Village and down the gravel/mud path to the river and I stumbled upon the course being taped out for the conclusion of the British Cycling National Cyclocross Trophy which is taking place there tomorrow http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/cy...-of-British-Cycling-National-Trophy-triumph-0
I actually had to cycle on a small bit of the course and so I assume they will be blocking the path off tomorrow?!

I continued out to Uffington, passing a Mountain Biker who was covered head to toe in mud splatter. I am so glad I have mudguards!! :biggrin: It was then the climb to Upton Magna, where I was surprised to find the Corbet Arms appears to have re-opened. @Rickshaw Phil and I have fancied a pint there on many a ride, but it has never been open, but today there were lights on and a Christmas Tree was still up and lit, so fingers crossed it will stay open now for a :cheers: in the future. I turned right and headed over to Berwick Wharf and then onto Atcham, as I wanted to see how the River Severn was doing with all the flood warnings in force.

I crossed the main road to find the group picture from a wedding at the Mytton & Mermaid Hotel was being taken and so I took care not to interrupt and appear in the background and went up onto the old bridge for a view of the river.

Mytton & Mermaid Hotel (I don't fancy a beer in the garden, which appears to be in the river today!!)
IMG_0395.JPG

The bride tottering across the main road in her heels, with the groom, for a photo outside the front of Attingham Park
IMG_0396.JPG

There's plenty of water in the River Severn which has burst it's banks
IMG_0394.JPG
IMG_0397.JPG

I then continued up the lane towards Chilton Farm and came across a flood covering the road, around a bend and so I couldn't see how far it went. I decided to brave it and give it a go. It wasn't too deep, but I did dip a foot in it at it's deepest point :blink:

Should I? Shouldn't I? Actually, lets give it a go ^_^
IMG_0399.JPG

I carried on for a short way, but it was very muddy and wet up there, so I decided to double back and re-trace my steps back to Atcham, Berwick Wharf, Upton Magna and Uffington. It was then back along the old canal path where a chap on a bike squeezed past me on a steep section, but then decided to pootle along at 9 mph on the flat and therefore was holding me up! I resisted the temptation to overtake him again, as it was only a short section until I turned off. I was about a mile from home and it started to rain :rain:. It couldn't wait until I got back could it :wacko:. It absolutely tipped it down and an icy strong headwind got up, making the last mile thoroughly unpleasant and by the time I got home I was thoroughly drenched :sad:

15.87 miles, avg speed 11.0 mph

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've been all around the Wrekin today.*

For my first ride of the new year I thought it would be a good idea to do a new route: one I meant to do last year but didn't, which was a circuit of the Wrekin. My route was out to Cressage via Condover and Acton Burnell (familiar ground) then up through Eaton Constantine, Upper Longwood and Rushton, along the lane past Wrekin Farm, then round the hill to Little Wenlock (up the climb rated 4/10 in Simon Warrens book), past Gibbons Coppice, Neves Castle and back to Upper Longwood before heading back the way I came apart from a detour through Cound.

It was a pleasant trip and mostly uneventful which was nice. There was a diesel slick at Upper Longwood which gave my tyres a blue sheen but fortunately didn't cause any issues and I had the usual stops for photos on the way. The climb to Little Wenlock was steep (rates a gradient arrow on the map so no surprise there) but apart from that I couldn't really see why Simon Warren felt it special enough to list it in his second 100 best climbs book.:scratch:(I can think of several in the area that are more interesting.) The view from the top was quite nice though.:thumbsup:

After passing through Cound I got a text to say it was heavy rain at home. Fortunately I did put in the rain cape (not cool but it packs down really small - very useful) and it was needed as I ran into a downpour just after Pitchford. Luckily it didn't last too long and the shower had gone through by the time I reached Condover.

34.8 miles today at 12.5 mph average.

DSC02356.JPG

High river levels at Cressage and today's objective in sight.

DSC02358.JPG

On to lanes I haven't cycled before and a bit closer now. The Wrekin is the remnant of an ancient volcano.

DSC02359.JPG

Riding round the foot of the hill now with the TV transmitter quite prominent. The red aircraft warning beacon on the TV tower was removed as no longer needed due to modern navigation techniques. This sparked a vocal campaign to have it reinstated (which it now has been) as it was such a local landmark.

DSC02361.JPG

Loads of people have parked up to climb the hill.

DSC02365.JPG

My road goes into the woods and starts to climb. The steep bit is about half a mile further on.

DSC02366.JPG

Nice view from the top of the climb at Little Wenlock.

DSC02370.JPG

Near Pitchford. The sunshine is giving way to some serious shower cloud. I'm about to get wet.:rain:

*All around the Wrekin is a local phrase to mean going the long way round.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Two rides today;

Firstly the Sat am Ravensthorpe CC longer club run to Windmill Nurseries, Royd Moor: http://www.strava.com/activities/103895976 Arrived late as always :rolleyes: , damp but otherwise OK. 42 miles done.

Secondly a 25 mile ride with my 9 year-old: http://www.strava.com/activities/103952839 We were heading for Holmfirth but there was a cold wind and the odd shower, meaning he was getting cold, so we turned for home near the 2/3 point. He did well considering he's been sat doing nothing for 2 weeks except :mrpig:

The total for the past week (I count Sun-Sat) has been 212 miles. I'm happy with that considering the weather we've had :rain: :cold: :rain:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom