Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justiffa

My ride on sunday was pretty awesome. it was another one of those community rides that has become quite popular hereabouts. this time the turnout was beyond expectation… there were about 5000 plus riders out on the roads that morning!!

HariWilayah.jpg

Riders eager to start.

Officials.jpg

The officials flagging off the ride.

Start.jpg

From Putrajaya to Bukit Jalil back to Putrajaya.. a total of 50km.

AllBikes.jpg

All kinds of riders & bikes.

MKCT.jpg

My cycling team goofing around during a group photo at the halfway break.

1622597_753113844712950_1899979771_n.jpg

Me & Tizzy, a part of the huge crowd.

Sure beats sleeping in on a lazy sunday morning lol.

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just a short one today: the River Severn has come up enough locally to start causing disruption. Not as damaging as in Somerset or as newsworthy as in Datchet but it's causing issues so I headed out to be nosey and see what the flooding is like.

I spent some time at Coleham Head watching the antics of the streams of traffic coming down from Meole Brace. When you have passed 5 signs warning that there is flooding and that the road is closed ahead why would it be a surprise to find that the road is actually closed.:wacko: :laugh:

11.5 miles today and I haven't bothered to work out the average speed as about quarter of that distance was at walking speed.:rolleyes:

DSC02503.JPG

Crossing into the town via Greyfriars Bridge and you get an idea of how swollen the Severn is at the moment.

DSC02509.JPG

Tennis is off today - anyone for water polo?

DSC02514.JPG

Down in The Quarry - the only access to Porthill Bridge from this side today is a narrow and muddy causeway.

DSC02518.JPG

One of the traffic problems - the water is bubbling up through the drains and this will be deep in a few hours, blocking access to Shrewsbury's biggest car park. (3 of the main town centre car parks are now closed due to flooding)

DSC02527.JPG

Looking over the flood barriers by the Guildhall in Frankwell. The water over on the car park side is waist deep.

DSC02528.JPG

Also by the Guildhall - the Environment Agency are raising the flood barriers to their full height for the first time in about seven years.

DSC02532.JPG

Castlefields now and Sydney Avenue is only accessable by boat.

DSC02534.JPG

Coleham Head and the shiny new flood barrier has its first deployment. Before this they used a giant inflatable sausage (no honestly, they did).

DSC02536.JPG

Still at Coleham Head - someone didn't move their car in time. There are two others hidden behind the fencing on the left and I saw three more submerged elsewhere in town.

DSC02538.JPG

Longden Road - another spot where the water has come up through the drains.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Just a short one today: the River Severn has come up enough locally to start causing disruption. Not as damaging as in Somerset or as newsworthy as in Datchet but it's causing issues so I headed out to be nosey and see what the flooding is like.

I spent some time at Coleham Head watching the antics of the streams of traffic coming down from Meole Brace. When you have passed 5 signs warning that there is flooding and the road is closed ahead why would it be a surprise to find that the road is actually closed.:wacko: :laugh:

11.5 miles today and I haven't bothered to work out the average speed as about quarter of that distance was at walking speed.:rolleyes:

View attachment 37848
Crossing into the town via Greyfriars Bridge and you get an idea of how swollen the Severn is at the moment.

View attachment 37849
Tennis is off today - anyone for water polo?

View attachment 37850
Down in The Quarry - the only access to Porthill Bridge from this side today is a narrow and muddy causeway.

View attachment 37851
One of the traffic problems - the water is bubbling up through the drains and this will be deep in a few hours blocking access to Shrewsbury's biggest car park. (3 of the main town centre car parks are now closed due to flooding)

View attachment 37852
Looking over the flood barriers by the Guildhall in Frankwell. The water over on the car park side is waist deep.

View attachment 37853
Also by the Guildhall - the Environment Agency are raising the flood barriers to their full height for the first time in about seven years.

View attachment 37854
Castlefields now and Sydney Avenue is only accessable by boat.

View attachment 37855
Coleham Head and the shiny new flood barrier has its first deployment. Before this they used a giant inflatable sausage (no honestly, they did).

View attachment 37856
Still at Coleham Head - someone didn't move their car in time. There are two others hidden behind the fencing on the left and I saw three more submerged elsewhere in town.

View attachment 37857
Longden Road - another spot where the water has come up through the drains.

Nice pictures as always Phil.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My ride on sunday was pretty awesome. it was another one of those community rides that has become quite popular hereabouts. this time the turnout was beyond expectation… there were about 5000 plus riders out on the roads that morning!!

View attachment 37841
Riders eager to start.

View attachment 37842

View attachment 37844

View attachment 37858

View attachment 37859

View attachment 37860
After the ride, we were all chilling out waiting for the lucky draw.

Wow - that is some turnout! :thumbsup:

As for here ... The wind had dropped, the rain had stopped, the sun had come out - it was one of those rare winter days when I actually felt like riding my summer bike! Especially so today because I had fitted latex inner tubes and I wanted to see if they lived up to the hype!

I decided to repeat a route that I did before Christmas because I still have a pretty clear recollection of what it felt like riding it on my other bike. (Although both bikes have Michelin Lithion tyres, I should really have put the new tubes on my Basso rather than my Cannondale so I was comparing like with like, but if only one bike gets them, then it has to be the best bike!)

I normally use lower tyre pressures than many riders - 85-90 psi front and 95-100 psi rear. That is because I find the roads round here unbearable at higher pressures, so I trade an increase in rolling resistance for increased comfort. Latex tubes are supposed to be more comfortable than butyl so I put that to the test and used 100 psi front and 105 psi rear today. (My Campagnolo Khamsin wheels are rated to 116 psi, so there is room for further experimentation in the future.)

What a change in the weather! Unfortunately, it looks short-lived as some more nasty low pressure systems are heading our way from the Atlantic ... It felt great being out on the Cannondale in the sunshine again, even if temperatures were still quite low and I was wearing winter kit.

I don't want to do a full latex tube review here because I am saving it for a couple of personal projects that I am working on (a book and a website). Let's just say that I was enjoying my ride. I even managed to overtake a couple of riders on the way up to Blackstone Edge from Cragg Vale. I spotted them from way down the climb and decided to try and catch them, then slow down a bit as I went by so I didn't look like I was showing off!

I took a picture of my bike by the reservoir. The waves on the water revealed that the wind was slightly stronger than I thought it had been. That tells me that the combination of the new latex tubes, my lighter/stiffer bike, my slowly decreasing body weight and slowly increasing fitness made the climb feel easier than the last time I did it. Things are looking up!

When I have had a few weeks of decent weather and ridden up Cragg Vale another 3 or 4 times, I will pick a wind-free, dry day and see if I can break 30 minutes on the Cannondale up the TT course for the first time in 7 or 8 years.

Summer bike on Winter ride at Blackstone Edge Reservoir.jpg

I didn't have a GPS or computer on the bike, but I was starting to spin out a 53/13 gear on the descent to Littleborough which puts my speed in the low 40s in mph. (It is often a 50-55 mph descent for me, but the cross/headwind slowed me down.)

I started picking out rough stuff to ride over, the kind of stuff that I normally avoid. In fact, over the course of the ride, I aimed my bike at patches of very poor quality chip-and-seal, manhole covers, drain covers, painted rumble strips, sleeping policemen, ruts, minor holes and stretches of cobbles. The only hazard that I did not ride over was a big pothole. I was not willing to risk my bike and my neck to find out what happened if I hit that at speed!

I eventually got home feeling much fresher than I normally would, and having had a nice couple of hours out. 22 miles and 1,800 ft of climbing.

PS Oh yes - those latex tubes ... should you buy some?

Put it this way - are you the kind of person who can tell the difference between standard definition TV and HDTV, and does it impress you?

If your reaction upon seeing HDTV for the first time was 'So what!' then don't bother with latex tubes! The differences are there if you pay attention, but maybe that kind of thing isn't important to you.

When I saw HDTV for the first time, I stopped dead in my tracks and thought "WOW!" Well, I had the same reaction to the latex tubes. They make a significant difference to the ride quality of my very stiff bike while also allowing slightly improved performance. There is room to experiment with the trade-off between comfort and performance, but here is my one-word review - BUY! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Yet another "well that wasn't meant to happen" moment today. Tyres were a bit soft so I pumped them up, then set off in the delicious sunshine, the glory of the day ruined by an odd noise coming from the rear wheel. Stopped to check the brakes and mudguard brackets. Nope, plenty of clearance. Stopped a bit further up the road - not the pannier straps. Stopped again and turned the bike upside down to turn the wheel, still thinking it was the brakes. Nope, it was actually the mahoosive bulge smacking the mudguard on each revolution. Closer inspection revealed a very long split along the edge of the tyre. Meep. Apart from being grotesquely misshapen, it was still solid so I decided to let some air out and turn back, since I was closer to home than to town.

Once back, I set about wrestling the tyre off the wheel, double checked that the tube was still puncture free and then began the long and torturous process of putting a replacement tyre on the wheel. Not a problem on the road bike. Sheer hell on the hybrid. Never managed it in under an hour. Won't say how long it took me today - all that matters is that I (eventually) managed it and didn't break the tube in the process!! Job done, I headed into town (thankfully the friend I was meeting is a fellow cyclist and was just grateful that no matter how late I was, this time she didn't have to come to my rescue :blush:) and my efforts were rewarded with a large slab of cake. :hungry: No photos, you'll just have to imagine the smile of joy and relief when the dratted thing fell into place. And then stayed inflated.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Given as how Egham is starting to really suffer from the flooding, I thought I'd meander out to see how close things were getting for us. We sit on the edge of the floodplain and are currently on severe flood warning, really hoping the map is correct and it stops at the end of the drive...
Anyway, Thorpe Village is wet so had a looksy at Norlands Lane, a popular cut through from Chertsey. Not so at the moment, since Chertsey Lane is shut, and Norlands Lane underwater
10 Feb 2014 Norlands Lane Flood.jpg

In the distance is a cyclist, coming through the water which must have been near hub deep in the middle. We pedalled along together for a bit, turns out he was just looking at a house he was in the process of buying, and figured if it wasn't flooded now it never would be!
It did seem today that every way I turned was blocked, indeed the route on Strava looked like a spider. Staines Moor is pretty much completely submerged, and on the railway line adjacent I found 2 stopped trains.
10 Feb 2014 Railway Stopped.jpg

I thought they were at reds, but 20 mins later they were still there, so I figure this is the line to Datchet which is under water.
Usually I cut through the back of Moor Lane back towards Staines, but the footpath was a no go
10 Feb 2014 The Moor Flood 1.jpg

Whilst it looks very serene it was fast flowing across the path and runs onto the canal on the left which has overflowed. The flow rate into her from the Moor was impressive
10 Feb 2014 The Moor Flood 2.jpg

So back to Staines, lots of places flooded or in the process of being. Chertsey Lane properly flooded now, a couple of friends evacuated. No fun this water. So 15 miles for me, enough given it was all stop start and I couldn't get into a nice rhythm.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover

View attachment 37841
Riders eager to start.

View attachment 37842

View attachment 37844

View attachment 37858

View attachment 37859

View attachment 37861
Me & Tizzy, a part of the huge crowd.

Truly amazing ! Wonderful photo's

Justiffa

Given as how Egham is starting to really suffer from the flooding, I thought I'd meander out to see how close things were getting for us. We sit on the edge of the floodplain and are currently on severe flood warning, really hoping the map is correct and it stops at the end of the drive...
Anyway, Thorpe Village is wet so had a looksy at Norlands Lane, a popular cut through from Chertsey. Not so at the moment, since Chertsey Lane is shut, and Norlands Lane underwater
View attachment 37879
In the distance is a cyclist, coming through the water which must have been near hub deep in the middle. We pedalled along together for a bit, turns out he was just looking at a house he was in the process of buying, and figured if it wasn't flooded now it never would be!
It did seem today that every way I turned was blocked, indeed the route on Strava looked like a spider. Staines Moor is pretty much completely submerged, and on the railway line adjacent I found 2 stopped trains.
View attachment 37880
I thought they were at reds, but 20 mins later they were still there, so I figure this is the line to Datchet which is under water.
Usually I cut through the back of Moor Lane back towards Staines, but the footpath was a no go
View attachment 37881
Whilst it looks very serene it was fast flowing across the path and runs onto the canal on the left which has overflowed. The flow rate into her from the Moor was impressive
View attachment 37882
So back to Staines, lots of places flooded or in the process of being. Chertsey Lane properly flooded now, a couple of friends evacuated. No fun this water. So 15 miles for me, enough given it was all stop start and I couldn't get into a nice rhythm.

Hi CosmicBike… seeing a lot of pics about flooding, i was just wondering if this is a normal thing? is it due to the snow melting and the transition into spring? we hv floods over here during the rainy season which is around nov to jan (but these days the weather can get pretty crazy & quite unpredictable) especially along the coastal areas over on the east side of the peninsular.

Justiffa

Wow - that is some turnout! :thumbsup:

As for here ... The wind had dropped, the rain had stopped, the sun had come out - it was one of those rare winter days when I actually felt like riding my summer bike! Especially so today because I had fitted latex inner tubes and I wanted to see if they lived up to the hype!

I decided to repeat a route that I did before Christmas because I still have a pretty clear recollection of what it felt like riding it on my other bike. (Although both bikes have Michelin Lithion tyres, I should really have put the new tubes on my Basso rather than my Cannondale so I was comparing like with like, but if only one bike gets them, then it has to be the best bike!)

I normally use lower tyre pressures than many riders - 85-90 psi front and 95-100 psi rear. That is because I find the roads round here unbearable at higher pressures, so I trade an increase in rolling resistance for increased comfort. Latex tubes are supposed to be more comfortable than butyl so I put that to the test and used 100 psi front and 105 psi rear today. (My Campagnolo Khamsin wheels are rated to 116 psi, so there is room for further experimentation in the future.)

What a change in the weather! Unfortunately, it looks short-lived as some more nasty low pressure systems are heading our way from the Atlantic ... It felt great being out on the Cannondale in the sunshine again, even if temperatures were still quite low and I was wearing winter kit.

I don't want to do a full latex tube review here because I am saving it for a couple of personal projects that I am working on (a book and a website). Let's just say that I was enjoying my ride. I even managed to overtake a couple of riders on the way up to Blackstone Edge from Cragg Vale. I spotted them from way down the climb and decided to try and catch them, then slow down a bit as I went by so I didn't look like I was showing off!

I took a picture of my bike by the reservoir. The waves on the water revealed that the wind was slightly stronger than I thought it had been. That tells me that the combination of the new latex tubes, my lighter/stiffer bike, my slowly decreasing body weight and slowly increasing fitness made the climb feel easier than the last time I did it. Things are looking up!

When I have had a few weeks of decent weather and ridden up Cragg Vale another 3 or 4 times, I will pick a wind-free, dry day and see if I can break 30 minutes on the Cannondale up the TT course for the first time in 7 or 8 years.

View attachment 37863

I didn't have a GPS or computer on the bike, but I was starting to spin out a 53/13 gear on the descent to Littleborough which puts my speed in the low 40s in mph. (It is often a 50-55 mph descent for me, but the cross/headwind slowed me down.)

I started picking out rough stuff to ride over, the kind of stuff that I normally avoid. In fact, over the course of the ride, I aimed my bike at patches of very poor quality chip-and-seal, manhole covers, drain covers, painted rumble strips, sleeping policemen, ruts, minor holes and stretches of cobbles. The only hazard that I did not ride over was a big pothole. I was not willing to risk my bike and my neck to find out what happened if I hit that at speed!

I eventually got home feeling much fresher than I normally would, and having had a nice couple of hours out. 22 miles and 1,800 ft of climbing.

PS Oh yes - those latex tubes ... should you buy some?

Put it this way - are you the kind of person who can tell the difference between standard definition TV and HDTV, and does it impress you?

If your reaction upon seeing HDTV for the first time was 'So what!' then don't bother with latex tubes! The differences are there if you pay attention, but maybe that kind of thing isn't important to you.

When I saw HDTV for the first time, I stopped dead in my tracks and thought "WOW!" Well, I had the same reaction to the latex tubes. They make a significant difference to the ride quality of my very stiff bike while also allowing slightly improved performance. There is room to experiment with the trade-off between comfort and performance, but here is my one-word review - BUY! :thumbsup:

Yup collin, cycling with a sea of riders right in front of me was awesome…and bcos it was a community ride it had a warm 'picnic' feel about it, as if everyone was family lol.

U know, i always learn something new here at CC. i never actually bothered about my tubes, i thought they were all one and the same but now i know better. later i'm gonna go chrck if mine is latex or butyl :biggrin:

Spartak