Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Knocked out March's century challenge ride. To Ashford, Kent and back with @Mista Preston and @martint235 of this parish. The weather reports yesterday was for no rain until at least 4pm but upon waking up this morning at 6am I could hear the rain pattering against the windows. Great. I expected a text or FB message from Martin saying he wouldn't come out to play. He hates wet weather riding. By about 7am the rain had stopped, it wasn't heavy rain anyway. And no message from Martin, so the ride was on. I met Martin at the normal meeting point for this ride at Polhill. As per usual, Mista Preston was late. Glad to see nothings changed and great to see him after such a long time. He was only 5 minutes or so late so not bad for him. We haven't seen Mr P for a good long while as we have lost him to his club runs. So we were on our way and once again we encountered a little drizzle but not for long and not enough to get us any where near wet. But with the wind chill it was a little cold. The route was our normal 100 miler ride to Ashford Station and back. Some good climbing in the first 3rd of the ride with nice and flat country lanes for the run in to Ashford. So before long we were supping tea or/and Coke and munching on the various foodstuffs that the cafe in Ashford Station supplies and back on our bikes for the return. This time with a little help from the tailwind gods. Once again, the flat country lanes disappeared under rubber quite quickly with the climb back up the North Kent ridge causing thigh burn and pain in all of us. So 104 very enjoyable miles for the day and march's Century challenge sorted nice and early in the month. The rain kept off, the bike and rider stayed relatively clean and it was great to be out on the bike with 2 people I do really enjoy riding with. Cheers Chaps.

The only downer... An old duffer in a car who overtook me so closely that his wing mirror brushed my arm. Absolutely no excuse for the overtake as I was pulling in to let him pass. Obviously his need to pass was far more important then my safety.

Gareth C

Veteran
The Eden Valley Epic certainly lived up to its name today. An early morning Sunday drive over the Pennines to Penrith had snow on the hills and lambs in the fields.

Met up with an old mate Matt to ride the route: we had a good catch-up on the road for about half-an-hour until it became apparent Matt was too fast for me, and zoomed off. Arriving at The Strickland Arms, they were (as usual) doing sterling service dishing out drinks and lollipops, so I stopped for a rest here.

Somewhere around Newby I picked up a rear puncture. I was scrupulous checking where the puncture was, to be able to pull whatever had caused it from the tyre to avoid another. However, nothing doing, so I popped a new tube in and carried on, hoping for the best.

The first major hill of the day is out from Crosby Ravensworth, and by now (09:30), the rain that was forecast for 3pm was here in force! At the top it was impossible for me to get the front gears to engage the big chain-ring (it later turned out that the shifter cable had burst out of the housing somewhere under the handlebars, so that’ll mean new cables).

img_2036.jpg img_2035.jpg

Pushing on in the small ring, eventually Appleby-in-Westmorland was reached, and the refreshment stop.

The route now follows the edge of the Pennines, and in the past has been glorious cycling. Today it just seemed like hard work – rain, mud, no front gears, and the rear gears gradually seizing up with all the clag from the road.

Finally there was the last steep drag up to Beacon Plantation, which actually wasn’t too bad, as psychologically you know you’re almost back at Penrith.

Overall 95.2km in 4 hours 45 mins (including stops for food and punctures!) and 1311m of climbing.

screen-shot-2014-03-02-at-17-20-05.png

Bike off for a full service tomorrow!

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Good ride today despite the drizzle & wind !

http://www.strava.com/activities/117223710

Started off meeting a couple of mates for a ride to Hawkesbury Upton, for the 'Breakfast for a Fiver' to raise funds for the village hall. We went via Iron Acton & then tackled Hinton Hill, so the brekkie was deserved when we got there ^_^
I then had a lunchtime meet for a birthday ( a cycling friend was celebrating her 60th birthday ).
More hills led me via Wotton Combe ( a great climb ) thru Dursley & Slimbridge.

2014-03-02 11.44.54.jpg

My trusty steed on the Sharpness & Gloucester canal at Purton.
The drizzle had now set in and I was glad to soon be passing the villages of Brookend & Halmore, before reaching The Salutatiion in the village of Ham.
Over 40 cyclists had made the trip from Bristol for the celebration :smile:

I enjoyed a couple of pints of ......

2014-03-02 12.11.09.jpg

So after some birthday cake I took to the road for the journey back to Bristol via Rockhampton, Rangeworthy & Winterbourne.
88 kms in total & a most enjoyable day.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I was almost at the stage of not getting out today as my granddaughter stayed last night and I had to wait for her to be picked up this afternoon. As I waved her a cheery goodbye, the grey clouds were rolling in and the wind was getting a bit stronger.
Not to be deterred, I got the hardtail out of the shed, popped my helmet on and tootled off for a few miles.

IMG_20140302_172931.jpg

Not the safest place to stop for a breather!!
Target practise!!! :surrender:

Ne'ertheless, I survived..:thumbsup:

Working on the idea of having a tailwind on the way home, I went from Sywell towards Wollaston and then Grendon into the wind and hoped for a cuppa at the fishermens cafe by the lakes, by sadly it was shut :sad:
As compensation for lack of headwind, it started piddling down. So it goes.. lol

At the bottom of Whiston Hill, (I'm more used to riding up it) I decided to blast down a nearby bridleway, locally known as 'dog shoot alley' and managed a KOM on Strava :dance:

From there, the bridleway deteriorates a tad..
IMG_20140302_173131.jpg

Yes, the woody lumps are as lumpy as they look.. 1" high lumps. Put it this way.. if I had a wig, it'd be on the wonk by the time I was over the bridge..
Thence into unrideable mud for a few hundred yards.

Aiming vaguely in the direction of home and with no chance of either coffee or cake, as my regular nearby stops are closed on a Sunday I resigned myself to looking at roadsigns!
IMG_20140302_172950.jpg

Mmmmmmm Pie......

Back into Sywell & Overstone, I'd had enough of the wind and rain and decided to go home and put me, clothing and my bike in the washing machine and spin dryer.
I'm so looking forward to a ride where I don't have to think of Rule #9 all the way round.

Still, I noticed this carving in a stump on the way home,
IMG_20140302_173058.jpg

and it cheered me up a bit
^_^

26 miles, which is further than I thought I'd go..
http://app.strava.com/activities/117254255

Last edited:

totallyfixed

Veteran
Interesting weekend which unfortunately involved too much driving. Saturday morning bikes packed plus some posh togs for the outlaws birthday, quick stop to drop off some of the load at Holmes Chapel then on to Longridge via Kiwi Sal's of this parish. Out with the fixed to test the ride to Dunsop Bridge via Whitewell and the up the Trough of Bowland.
The two of them nattering blissfully unaware of what was looming up ahead
2014_02015_zpsa36efd37.jpg

Sal has forgotten which country she is in :smile:
2014_02017_zpsf2f23cfd.jpg

I reckon the last 3 hundred metres or so must have been close to 18%, this is not fixed gear country, my arms were beginning to detach themselves from my shoulders and with about 100 metres to go I turned around. I think it is doable on a 48 chainring instead of my 50t but then the descent would be crazy down the far side. We will therefore reluctantly be on gears for Colin's ride because I don't do walking. Very easy climb on gears though and very scenic.
Fast forward to Sunday morning in Holmes Chapel and I have to go out for a spin as dr_pink is baking a birthday cake plus we are going out for lunch. I hope I am forgiven for showing pics that @potsy normally does, but we are only about 3 miles from Jodrell Bank when we stay with the outlaws.
2014_02018_zps427e0be0.jpg

2014_02019_zps7bd9d309.jpg

2014_02020_zps06cb3f1e.jpg

You dare not go through any puddles in this area for fear of disappearing into a crater, but at least the rain held off and it cured my one beer hangover, lightweight that I am.

jayonabike