Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have a 103 km/107 mile (optional extended version) forum ride coming up on 29th March but I haven't done a long or even longish ride since before I got ill in 2012. It made sense for me to get one in now to make sure that I would actually be capable of doing the forum ride at the end of the month!

The main loop of the forum ride is 103 km in length with one big hill in it, and various less challenging ones. I came up with a different route to ride today, but one similar in nature - from Hebden Bridge to Waddington and up to the summit of Waddington Fell, then turn round and come back home by the same roads. 102 km with about 1,700 m of climbing (63.5 miles, 5,600 ft).

Here is the profile:

HB-Waddington Fell-HB profile.gif

I picked today because glorious early Spring sunshine was forecast, with mild temperatures, not too much wind, and very little chance of rain. The forecast was spot on - a great day for riding!

My pal Bill (aka Fit Old Git) joined me at Todmorden on the way out and we rode together until we parted at Tod on the way home. He was having to slow down for me on the flatter sections and wait at the top of the bigger climbs, but he knows what I have been through the past 20 months and that it will take time for me to get properly fit.

Here's a picture taken from Rossendale Road on the outskirts of Burnley, looking over the town towards Pendle Hill.

Pendle Hill from Rossendale Road Burnley.jpg

There was rather a lot of A-road on today's route, but the alternative was to add much more climbing and I am not yet fit enough to cope with that.

We took to the Padiham Greenway at Rose Grove to get away from the traffic for a couple of miles, then climbed out of Padiham to take the scenic route round to Whalley via the Old Roman Road above Read.

We eventually made our way round the far side of Pendle Hill in the Ribble Valley, which was looking rather splendid in the sunshine. Unfortunately, I didn't take many pictures today because Bill was already hanging about waiting for me to catch up and I didn't want to subject him to too many more delays. Here's one of the llamas at Bashall Town though, looking towards the westsern side of Pendle Hill.

Ribble Valley Llamas and Pendle Hill.jpg

It didn't take us long to get to Waddington village, and begin the toughish climb of the Fell. Bill was soon out of sight, but there was nothing I could do other than climb at my own pace. The biggest problem for me was my back which was aching under the strain, and complained at every climb from then on. I was expecting my gammy leg to play up, but apart the usual 2 inches of swelling on the left calf, and discomfort in the 'DVT-zone', it behaved itself. My heart and lungs coped too, which was another big plus - it looks as though they are making a good recovery. I must work on back and core strength because they are my biggest area of weakness. It takes an awful lot of cycling to sort the problem out that way - my CV system and legs can get pretty good in 500-1,000 miles of riding, but my back took at least 5,000 miles last time I got fit.

I was pretty happy to get up the steep sections at the top of the Fell without too much difficulty, apart from that sore back. I am a bit disappointed with the photos I took from near the summit. This is about the best, looking towards the Fells we will be skirting round on the 29th March ...

Forest of Bowland Fells.jpg

The descent back to Waddington was 'interesting'! We hit 80 kph/50 mph on the way down and the road was not in great condition ... In fact, the roads today were in a disgraceful state - it as though the local councils have given up on road maintenance altogether!

I walloped a couple of ruts which were hidden in shadows across the road and I must have been doing at least 35 mph at the time. I was just waiting for snakebite punctures to reveal themselves, but my tyres stayed up.

The run for home was definitely quicker than the way out. It wasn't long before we got back up to the Spring Wood car park above Whalley where I was making a quick stop at the toilets. At that moment, @Svendo suddenly appeared. He had spotted me from down the road, and had come over to say 'hi'.

The traffic was building up as we rode back to Tod where I stopped for a quick cuppa, before coming home.

It was a good ride. I have much work still to do on my fitness, but I am pleased with my progress! :thumbsup:

PS That was the first time in nearly 2 years that I have been able to do enough to get really tired. I am still feeling it now, 18 hours after getting back!

4 days later ... My heart rate and breathing still have not quite settled down, so this ride clearly took more out of me than I thought at the time. I will have to be careful not to push myself too hard, too soon! I may have to abandon the idea of doing my full extended forum ride and cut the distance down with lifts/trains!

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have a 103 km/107 mile (optional extended version) forum ride coming up on 29th March but I haven't done a long or even longish ride since before I got ill in 2012. It made sense for me to get one in now to make sure that I would actually be capable of doing the forum ride at the end of the month!

The main loop of the forum ride is 103 km in length with one big hill in it, and various less challenging ones. I came up with a different route to ride today, but one similar in nature - from Hebden Bridge to Waddington and up to the summit of Waddington Fell, then turn round and come back home by the same roads. 102 km with about 1,700 m of climbing (63.5 miles, 5,600 ft).

Here is the profile:

View attachment 39186

I picked today because glorious early Spring sunshine was forecast, with mild temperatures, not too much wind, and very little chance of rain. The forecast was spot on - a great day for riding!

My pal Bill (aka Fit Old Git) joined me at Todmorden on the way out and we rode together until we parted at Tod on the way home. He was having to slow down for me on the flatter sections and wait at the top of the bigger climbs, but he knows what I have been through the past 20 months and that it will take time for me to get properly fit.

Here's a picture taken from Rossendale Road on the outskirts of Burnley, looking over the town towards Pendle Hill.

View attachment 39188

There was rather a lot of A-road on today's route, but the alternative was to add much more climbing and I am not yet fit enough to cope with that.

We took to the Padiham Greenway at Rose Grove to get away from the traffic for a couple of miles, then climbed out of Padiham to take the scenic route round to Whalley via the Old Roman Road above Read.

We eventually made our way round the far side of Pendle Hill in the Ribble Valley, which was looking rather splendid in the sunshine. Unfortunately, I didn't take many pictures today because Bill was already hanging about waiting for me to catch up and I didn't want to subject him to too many more delays. Here's one of the llamas at Bashall Town though, looking towards the westsern side of Pendle Hill.

View attachment 39189

It didn't take us long to get to Waddington village, and begin the toughish climb of the Fell. Bill was soon out of sight, but there was nothing I could do other than climb at my own pace. The biggest problem for me was my back which was aching under the strain, and complained at every climb from then on. I was expecting my gammy leg to play up, but apart the usual 2 inches of swelling on the left calf, and discomfort in the 'DVT-zone', it behaved itself. My heart and lungs coped too, which was another big plus - it looks as though they are making a good recovery. I must work on back and core strength because they are my biggest area of weakness. It takes an awful lot of cycling to sort the problem out that way - my CV system and legs can get pretty good in 500-1,000 miles of riding, but my back took at least 5,000 miles last time I got fit.

I was pretty happy to get up the steep sections at the top of the Fell without too much difficulty, apart from that sore back. I am a bit disappointed with the photos I took from near the summit. This is about the best, looking towards the Fells we will be skirting round on the 29th March ...

View attachment 39191

The descent back to Waddington was 'interesting'! We hit 80 kph/50 mph on the way down and the road was not in great condition ... In fact, the roads today were in a disgraceful state - it as though the local councils have given up on road maintenance altogether!

I walloped a couple of ruts which were hidden in shadows across the road and I must have been doing at least 35 mph at the time. I was just waiting for snakebite punctures to reveal themselves, but my tyres stayed up.

The run for home was definitely quicker than the way out. It wasn't long before we got back up to the Spring Wood car park above Whalley where I was making a quick stop at the toilets. At that moment, @Svendo suddenly appeared. He had spotted me from down the road, and had come over to say 'hi'.

The traffic was building up as we rode back to Tod where I stopped for a quick cuppa, before coming home.

It was a good ride. I have much work still to do on my fitness, but I am pleased with my progress! :thumbsup:

Nice photos

jayonabike