Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
70 odd miles accompanying Stu as a recce for his Round the Isle of Wight ride in 2 weeks time. I think in 35 miles of night time riding on the section from Bembridge to Freshwater, we had 4 cars go past. Fantastic star canopy overhead, and when we were on the Military Road you could just stop in the middle of the road and gaze upwards at the stars. Although not for too long, as it was a bit chilly.

Towards the end, my left knee was really starting to ache, as I haven't got the new Ti seatpost adjusted properly. Apart from that, and the hills, it was good fun.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
32 miles into a 50 loop I heard a gunshot close by then I felt the Tarmac through my front rim.....
I stuck a new tube in and pumped it up to a decent pressure to get me home. As I undid the pump the valve stem came out with it. Start again. Same thing happened.
I put a different tube in.
Once pumped up there was a huge hole in the tyre, smack bang where the road would be.
At this point I was 4 miles from home, so I rang my beautiful wife who rescued me.
Came home, cleaned 2 bikes then ordered 2 new tyres.
Then I went spinning at 4pm to make up for missed miles.
I am very tired, and have to go out for the evening.
Is it rude to fall asleep at Patrick and Christine's house?

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Woke up normal workday time..
outside looked cloudy, time for a coffee:cuppa:
40 mins later frost had come down with a clear sky...a non out.
Left 10ish and dropped down to sea level and headed east along the A8 cutting into Langbank to prepare myself for the Hatton Brae, a quick drink of water and into a stiff headwind up the long drag.
Headed through Bishopton then taking the road to Erskine whizzing downhill through the roundabouts then slowly rising but as I was later today, plenty traffic.
rHMFpQy.jpg

I'm sure I saw a fiver in there:sad:
I took the Paisley road and cut off and took the Georgetown Rd and with the wind coming from the SW it was a long straight road until Houston where I headed along the Barochan Rd until the Locher Rd turnoff, up hill and down dale and joined the cycle track to back home.
Had a convo with Iain, a Sustrans bloke who was blowing the track( see image), doing an excellent job !
0gLGY6O.jpg

Busy track as I headed through Kilmacolm and dropped off track and one mile later, I was home.
A cracking almost 25 miles.

Gareth C

Veteran
We have a team heading out to Belgium in early April to tackle the Ronde van Vlaanderen – more of that in a few weeks. Today, however, to get my first training in, Alistair and I went out into the Pennines to Nenthead and had a beautiful ride through some sharp hills to Alston. Sunshine, snow showers, and lots of old snow on the hilltops made for a scenic day out. The real objective, however, was the Alston Pavé. The high street in Alston is cobbled and goes up a sharp hill, so should be ideal training for Belgium. We rode into town, chased up the cobbles, then rolled down to find a coffee shop. After refuelling, we rolled to the bottom of the cobbles and did it all again. Sharp, brutal, and a relief to complete the pavé and regain tarmac.

img_0965.jpg
img_0966.jpg

Beyond the pavé the road continued upwards for what seemed like forever, but we knew the real final steep section was crossing over Flinty Fell for the steep drop back into Nenthead. With one false summit, we reached the crest of the hill and raced down the other side. A couple just ahead of us reached the bottom, and there was a loud bang as one of their overheated rims caused an inner tube to explode – it was that steep!
img_0975.jpg

Good day out, and off to Penrith tomorrow to ride the Eden Valley Epic.

This was not a ride but I used riding equipment I.E I put the Edge 200 on a strap that was sold as a "Go Pro" remote control holder and used it to walk from Nebiggin to the new foot bridge over New Water In the North Pennines. The bridge is a great construction but I was surprised at the height of the side railings but this could be that it is part of a bridleway. It was wonderful to be back in among the fells I love. Only seen two people in passing. The views outward towards Cold Fell were great, coming back the Lake district was wide open. I was very slow, as Uncle Arthur Ritus kicked in a couple of times. A little puzzled with the distance given by the Edge 200, it only showed 3.07 miles for the whole trip. I am sure that my old yellow Etrex showed 4 miles but who cares it was a great walk. But back on the bike tomorrow and with the Edge 200.

My ride was a personal triumph 1st puncture of my own changed on the roadside. I know it's old hat for a lot of you but I was able to do it and continue.
Which is something that has been bothering me in the back of my mind for the last year
It comes to us all, the four gentlemen in the photo ( well I think they are gentlemen but they could be lady's) watched me preform I think they approved.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't stop at all, might be something I start when the weather picks up more. I don't like the feeling of damp clothes after stopping........ im billy no mates ! so must get some meetups with similar minded people ?
I used to be the same, but I came to realise that I would remain BNM unless I suggested cafe stops on rides. Once I did, lots of people started taking an interest. Oh, and I got to like coffee and cake too ... :thumbsup:

44 miles in glorious sunshine, which involved an unscheduled stop to rescue a heavily-pregnant ewe that had somehow managed to get herself wedged on her back between two molehills - luckily I spotted that she was in trouble (lying on her back with all 4 feet waving in the air is a bit of a giveaway), and I managed to tip her back onto all fours and off she ran; from the look of her I'd say she very soon be giving birth to at least twins!
Nice job!

I once rescued a sheep from a swampy fate in Scotland, on the hills above Oban. The sheep's legs were covered by the thick mud and its body was starting to sink in too. It took a titanic effort to pull it out. The only way I could do it was by pulling on its horns and I was worried that I might break its neck. It finally came out with a gloopy popping sound, and we both ended up gasping for breath on the grassy bank next to the mud!

On another occasion I rescued a lamb which had got trapped between a fence and a dry stone wall. It was freaking out and its mother was pacing up and down and tried butting me!

Last edited:
It comes to us all, the four gentlemen in the photo ( well I think they are gentlemen but they could be lady's) watched me preform I think they approved.
I distinctly remember a similar situation in Sweden when we rolled into a supermarket car park and pulled up at an empty bench. My husband then proceeded to do the shopping (my approach to stop him complaining at how long it took me!) whilst I removed all the kit from my bike, and replaced a broken rear spoke. The old guy on the bench 1 away from me came and sat on the bench I was next to and watched the entire thing. Once I had finished, he got up and walked away and sat back down on the original bench as though nothing had ever happened! He never spoke a word to me, but there was this smile and nod as we left the car park once the bike was fixed. (Thankfully the design of the wheels was such that for individual spoke replacement you actually didn't need to remove the wheel, tyre or inner tube, so it was an easy thing to do.) It was the only spoke I broke on my wheel in the 9,000 miles we covered on that tour!

ScotiaLass

Guru
I distinctly remember a similar situation in Sweden when we rolled into a supermarket car park and pulled up at an empty bench. My husband then proceeded to do the shopping (my approach to stop him complaining at how long it took me!) whilst I removed all the kit from my bike, and replaced a broken rear spoke. The old guy on the bench 1 away from me came and sat on the bench I was next to and watched the entire thing. Once I had finished, he got up and walked away and sat back down on the original bench as though nothing had ever happened! He never spoke a word to me, but there was this smile and nod as we left the car park once the bike was fixed. (Thankfully the design of the wheels was such that for individual spoke replacement you actually didn't need to remove the wheel, tyre or inner tube, so it was an easy thing to do.) It was the only spoke I broke on my wheel in the 9,000 miles we covered on that tour!
That would have freaked me out :laugh:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
My ride was one of two halves - I spent the night outdoors under canvas. :cold:

The original plan was to cycle from Hurworth on Tees out through Barnard Castl, Cotherstone, Egglestone and up to Bollihope Common where I'd planned to use a bothy/shooting lodge of open and a wild camping if not. After a night's sleep the plan was to continue onto Stanhope and pick up the C2C route ascend Crawleyside Bank and continue through Consett and onto Newcastle. The plan was modified on the hoof/pedal:

I left my friend's house later than planned.
The route was hiller than I remembered it from my last encounter on a motorbike 35 years ago.
I wild camped at Lartington instead
I headed for Frosterley instead of Stanhope from Bollihope common. I'd had enough of climbing and I couldn't face Crawleyside.
I rode a loop back along the Wear and A68 which probably involved more climbing than Crawleyside.

Screen shot 2014-03-02 at 09.41.02.png
I took my time savouring the views and memories that the landscape evoked. Some place's I'd not seen in three decades. They were still as bleak/beautiful as remembered. Frosterly chip shop served the best chips that I've tasted in a long time.

73 miles 5,800 feed of climbing, 10,000 kcal expended, five pies - three supplied by @Cubist, 1/4 bottle of rum, assorted jelly babies, four eccles cakes, a large malt loaf, several bottles of Coca Cola saw me reeling the hunger knock on a couple of climbs from not eating enough. Me not eating enough. Imagine that!

I returned to Hurworth in darkness. Ate a celebratory pie, Greenwood of Boroughbridge and left for home.

1932224_10152272544413330_340402359_n.jpg

Barton Village

1976913_10152272544528330_1466857459_n.jpg

Sunset approaching Barnard Castle

1888718_10152272544628330_995295864_n.jpg

Bike at night at Whorlton - the reflective paint on the Carradice panniers works well.

1898250_10152272544678330_1931595885_n.jpg

Market Cross, Barnard Castle.

1920384_10152272544733330_282248655_n.jpg

Morning frost.

1920315_10152272544823330_389836758_n.jpg

Thank you Northumbrian Water for providing a bike locking point at your water treatment works...
I don't know why I bothered locking the bike.

1901933_10152272545048330_51095879_n.jpg

A landscape shaped by leadmining - Weardale.

Night riding - more folk should sample it. One's senses are heightened. There's less traffic. There's time to reflect and savour solitude.

My soul is suitable refreshed.

Last edited:
A little puzzled with the distance given by the Edge 200, it only showed 3.07 miles for the whole trip. I am sure that my old yellow Etrex showed 4 miles but who cares it was a great walk. But back on the bike tomorrow and with the Edge 200.
I have now checked my old notes and re-measured the distance on Memory Map 1:50:000 maps. Definitely 4 miles. So how come only 3.07 recorded on the Edge 200. I am not fanatical for accurate distances but almost a mile out is a little too much. Only thing I can think of doing is to re-do this walk (no great hardship as I do love this area) under the same conditions and see what the results are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom