Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martinireland

Leisure Cyclist
Had my longest spin of the year..... probably since August 2013 and it feels like it too ! 64k/40 miles but enjoyed it all the same. Left at 6.45 am and had only planned 40km but extended it as I did not do anything yesterday. I only got a bowl of Weetabix before setting off and only brought 750ml bottle of water. Needless to say I was hungary before I got home so struggled on the 12% gradient a few kms from home. Ive gottten something to eat, gear is washed and I going to chill now for the afternoon. Hope to get my long spins going again on Saturday mornings as not pushed for time as of yet anyways.............not until kids sports training/matches starting in next few weeks !

U

User33236

Went out for a ride with Mrs SG today up to Rivington and back (50km) at a nice leisurely pace as it was only her second ride this year (she really doesn't get on with cold weather and riding).

Last edited by a moderator:
We had a short blast out, Eileen is working soon so it had to be a quick 15 miler, wish she wasn't working as it is a gorgeous cycling day, only 2 degrees but feels warmer in the sun, and oh what a beautiful blue cloudless sky.... anyway onto the pics, yes we did stop today for snaps.

Eileen looking over the countryside
2014-03-01123924_zps76157393.jpg

A few miles further and the road just seems to go on forever, but very little traffic
2014-03-01124402_zps0755d9ff.jpg

Something in the reeds................move on QUICKLY........:hyper:
2014-03-01124411_zps27f435a6.jpg

The bikes lent against a gate pic.........everyone has to do this shot:whistle:
2014-03-01125005_zps11c36b07.jpg

Scunthorpe 10 miles away, look at the carp the steelworks chuck out:eek:
2014-03-01125107_zps3fc41e26.jpg

So if we are up early enough, a nice 30 miler is planned.........if the weather stays as nice as today, anyway some chain maintenance needed now as my bike has developed a small chatter in lower gears:huh:

Last edited:
A great ride in the sunshine with good mates, it was my usual Saturday morning Early Bird Ride, the cafe stop is becoming regular too :-) I was quite happy when one of the staff gave me two slices of cake as the new girl had cut it a bit thin. She did the same also for my mate but he decided he couldn't eat the second piece so I gobbled it down too :-)

martinireland

Leisure Cyclist
A great ride in the sunshine with good mates, it was my usual Saturday morning Early Bird Ride, the cafe stop is becoming regular too :-) I was quite happy when one of the staff gave me two slices of cake as the new girl had cut it a bit thin. She did the same also for my mate but he decided he couldn't eat the second piece so I gobbled it down too :-)

I don't stop at all, might be something I start when the weather picks up more. I don't like the feeling of damp clothes after stopping........ im billy no mates ! so must get some meetups with similar minded people ?

I don't stop at all, might be something I start when the weather picks up more. I don't like the feeling of damp clothes after stopping........ im billy no mates ! so must get some meetups with similar minded people ?

If you are ever in our neck of the woods, give us a PM me and the missus will go out for a ride with you, if you don't mind a medium pace

compo

Veteran
About 20 miles on my MTB. After the bottom bracket transplant I have a silent bike again, except the big knobbly tyres making the frame hum on smooth roads. It was mostly a sunny morning which made the ride very pleasant. When I got home there was a parcel from those very nice folk at Woolley Hat Shop with a pair of slick tyres in it so my next ride should be a little smoother.

postman

Legendary Member
51 miles today,but not good.I woke up feeling sick,this stomach,but the weather was going to be good,and little wind.Well i thought ride it off,not a good idea.So when i had got to Rufforth,i stopped for a latte.I did not fancy the little ups and downs between Wetherby,Collingham and Shadwell,so i took the flat way home via Harewood and Otley.Another stop for a scone and latte then home,oh no cramp both thighs in Headingley/Meanwood.Yet another latte stop and warm up.Tip for next time.If you wake up feeling sick do not go out.:stop:

44 miles in glorious sunshine, which involved an unscheduled stop to rescue a heavily-pregnant ewe that had somehow managed to get herself wedged on her back between two molehills - luckily I spotted that she was in trouble (lying on her back with all 4 feet waving in the air is a bit of a giveaway), and I managed to tip her back onto all fours and off she ran; from the look of her I'd say she very soon be giving birth to at least twins!

Without outside assistance I reckon she'd not have survived as she was well and truly wedged, and with her being pregnant and lying on her back she was more square than round. So I'm feeling quite pleased that I was able to help.

I don't think I've had to do too many stranger things on a bike ride.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
44 miles in glorious sunshine, which involved an unscheduled stop to rescue a heavily-pregnant ewe that had somehow managed to get herself wedged on her back between two molehills - luckily I spotted that she was in trouble (lying on her back with all 4 feet waving in the air is a bit of a giveaway), and I managed to tip her back onto all fours and off she ran; from the look of her I'd say she very soon be giving birth to at least twins!

Without outside assistance I reckon she'd not have survived as she was well and truly wedged, and with her being pregnant and lying on her back she was more square than round. So I'm feeling quite pleased that I was able to help.

I don't think I've had to do too many stranger things on a bike ride.
Well done you old country bumpkin!
I nearly missed out the rybumpkin bit.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
40 miles today - a gentle pootle of about 20 miles with my cycling group in the morning and then the long way home via the Quantock Hills to make the most of the dry weather. No sight nor sound of civilisation while I was up there apart from an elderly chap driving down a hill that I was (slowly) climbing - he pulled over so I didn't have to stop and encouraged me on by doing the "not worthy" bow and gave me a massive thumbs up as I went by. Great stuff. Topped off the day by hitting 39.4mph on the way down Cothelstone Hill before my courage fled.

Daffodils for St David's Day:
Bradford-on-Tone 1mar14 (480x640).jpg

Must do this more often:
garmin.jpg

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Just three miles here today around the village. Been off the bike for two weeks due to some leg problems. So it was great to be back in the saddle and the old pins seem to be fine again (touch wood).

NRDC.jpg

This is Swaffham Bulbeck Lode and NRDC stands for Newmarket Rural District Council I think. This is from the days when part of this area was administered by Suffolk. Now it's Cambs. Some say Newmarket may one day become part of Cambs too. I hope not, as although it is practically an 'island' of Suffolk within Cambs, I like historic quirks of boundaries like that. Anyway, I prefer Suffolk and the locals are rightly proud to part of that county. Cambridgeshire is forever annexing bits of other counties like Ely and Peterborough, or even whole counties like Huntingdonshire the greedy sods.

I then meandered into some woods for a change. There's not much woodland in these parts, so I enjoy the fragments that exist.
Woods.jpg

Great to be back in the saddle after an enforced lay-off. Reading this thread while I've been poorly has been great though, and hopefully I'll be back to full fitness again soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom