Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
First ride out this week, still not allowed to mix work with play, so it was an unexpected opportunity when I was allowed today off, especially given the nice weather. I headed out in the sunshine wearing fingerless gloves for the first time in months (kept my hat on under me lid though, a distinct lack of hair on top leads to a chilly brain..). Since the Windsor Road along Runnymede Pleasure Grounds had re-opened since the flooding, I decided to have a go at Priest Hill to get to the Bishopsgate entrance to Deer Park. Not a big hill by any stretch, but enough for me at the moment, and pleased to have made it with only one pause (looking at the view, honest..). This led to me thinking about trying to hit 1000ft of climbing over the course of the ride, so ended up with 2 laps of Deer Park before heading off to the Runnymede Air Forces Memorial. I hadn't planned the visit, so a picture from the gates as I didn't want to leave my bike, or walk round with it (would have 'felt' wrong).
26 Feb 2014 RAF War Memorial.jpg

Next time I'll try to remember my lock, they do provide a bike rack behind the gates.
One of the trusty steed, I even left the bell on, and the dork disc, and the wheel reflectors, very anti 'The Rooles':laugh:
26 Feb 2014 Trek 1.2.jpg

I was glad of having a triple today, hills are not my forte but I'm sure will improve with time.
Aimed in the direction of home after this, but having zipped down Middle Hill realised I was going to be short of my 1000ft target, so back up Egham Hill, round the back roads to Virginia Water and home.
End result, 27 miles and 1043ft of climbing:smile: Happy chappy. This recovery thing is hard work mind, best part of 2 hours asleep on the sofa once got home:rolleyes:

compo

Veteran
I set out to head for High Beech (Epping Forest), but once through Epping traffic was almost stationary. There had been a nasty accident further down the road and all traffic was being diverted. I decided not to bother and headed home so I only did 12 miles rather than the planned 20.

G3CWI

Veteran
Rubbish ride today. I had to go to a meeting in North Reddish so I thought I would cycle to Macc Station, catch the train to Stockport and cycle to North Reddish.

It started well as the XC train that arrived had three bike spaces - two bookable and one not - that's quite a good idea. Arriving at Stockport I had intended to use the Bike Hub app with iPod earphones to do the navigating. Unfortunately the app had developed a fault and said that I was off the coast of West Africa (lat 0 long 0 I expect). The GPS on the phone was fine so I resorted to the Apple Maps app. That does not do cycle routes so I used the walking option. It was hopeless. "Turn west on Fred Blogs street" is not helpful unless you have a compass to hand. Neither was it any use if I deviated from the route "progress to route" is not helpful Apple. Then there were the multiple bike paths and signs. The paths might have been useful if they had some proper signs. I could not give a t*** about where the Fred Perry Way goes, I wanted to get to North Reddish - a real place that's on maps. Big bike signs on Gorton Road were just confusing - was I supposed to be using the pavement in some places? It was not clear. In one place a cycle path left the pavement an onto the road with no dropped kerb - how crap is that?

The net result was that the whole journey was incredibly frustrating and far more stressful that I imagined. I will probably drive next time.

No wonder (some) urban cyclist seem to be a bad tempered bunch...

Last edited:
Just a quick mountain bike ride in the dark... up and down the Whitegate way. Wasn't really expecting to meet anyone, so was a touch surprise to meet 3 mountain bikers who had pulled off the track - they appeared to think that we (my OH and I) were a vehicle because of our off-road lights and the fact we were cycling side by side...("thought they were a car" was the comment we overheard as we shot passed them) :rolleyes: oh well... then a quick detour around the bridge that is out, and well - it was dark, muddy and loads of trees down at the Cuddington end making for an eerie ride in the dark. Now need to warm up again... First time my OH has been out on his new MTB - he likes it, which is rather useful really! :biggrin: Seemed to lose GPS signal towards the end though.... I cycled the exact same route in and out, but that is not what Strava or GarminConnect think I cycled... always seems to be a GPS black spot this end of the railway... http://www.strava.com/activities/116341620

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am even going to put my tri bag back on the bike to hold the camera as i did find that keep rumageing about in an already full pocket a real pain.
I find stop-and-rummage a pain too!

That reminds me - I had a little camera-sized bag for my handlebars so my camera was always handy on rides, but I am now using the camera in my phone and the phone does not fit the bag. I must try and find a new bag to suit the phone.

Cubist

Still wavin'
For my Wednesday ride i decided to go over the levels to see if the floods are going down.

From Chard i headed up the old railway line, now a cycle path before going down the backroads to Dowlish wake. Going along the roman road through Lopen and Over Straton before crossing the A303 (strangely quite today) before going through South Petherton and out towards the Lambrooks. A closed road meant a detour through Stembridge, where the roads started to get flooded.

The plan was to cross the old Westport canal and head into Hambridge. No way was this going to happen as the road is still flooded. This meant taking some really silly backroad untill i got to Shepton Beauchamp and back onto the route 33 cycle route, through Barrington and back toward Westport.

Turning left and heading for the medieval village of Isle Brewers the weather was deteriorating rapidy (i was alread wet from a heavy shower) and the black menecing clouds and rapidly increasing wind meant I cut the ride short and started heading for home.

At Ilton the hail started although hiding under some trees i did manage a small amount of shelter.

All in a really good ride of 35 miles and a bike that was filthy it got an immediate clean when home.

The only downer, the state of some of the roads round here, one i actualy got off and walked as the mud and debris was just silly.

large.jpg

Dowlish Wake

large.jpg

Dowlish Church.

large.jpg

Bike and Tree :rolleyes:

large.jpg

Wet road

large.jpg

The somerset Lake that shouldn't be.

large.jpg

Ran out of road !!!!

large.jpg

Poncy shot that i really like :becool:

large.jpg

Sunken road.

large.jpg

Looking up

large.jpg

Barrington church.

large.jpg

Old Grave. Note the date.

large.jpg

Choccy box house

large.jpg

Somerset super highway :laugh:

large.jpg

The old Railway line.

large.jpg

Another poncy pic, but i like the contrast between the bike, gate, grass and sky.

And finally, all shots taken with my new (old) camera. Panasonic Lumix LS5.

Really enjoying this years rides on the new bike, don't care about speed this year, just views and scenery. I am even going to put my tri bag back on the bike to hold the camera as i did find that keep rumageing about in an already full pocket a real pain.
What beautiful pictures!. Thanks for sharing.

Cubist

Still wavin'
A half-term trip to Llandegla for Cubester and me. It's was the first time he rode the Canyon there since he got it for his birthday. We also intended to ride the black run, as I hadn't ridden it before. It's incredible, every bit as testing as some of the Scottish reds. I really love flowing singletrack with jumps and berms, switchbacks, tabletops and some rocky drops and steps, so it was near perfect for me. The IBIS was flawless, I tried a softer fork setting with slower rebound and this really paid off.

We fou d ourselves mingled with three or four other groups of riders, including one bloke that had volunteered to help a mate out with a large group of disadvantaged youngsters. On the first technical part of the red he was parked next to a stone step/drop, patiently explaining how to clear it to a very worried looking lad! He waved us through, and I swear I saw a haunted look on his face as we blitzed past!

On the final bit of red we came across a bloke with two young girls, maybe 8 and 11, who had decided to try the red as the blue was closed due to tree clearing. They had been pushing a huge amount, and I think he was very relieved when we pointed him to the green back to the cafe from the lake.

Finally, I caught up with a couple on the last section down to the cafe. They were both riding really well, and its a section with some great jumps and chutes, but was badly worn with braking bumps and gouges. Once at the bottom he spoke with Cubester, and appeared to be very pleased with himself. He told us that was the toughest bit of trail he'd ever ridden, and was justifiably chuffed to bits. I told him how well he'd done, letting the bike run and making the most of the trail. Cubester later told me the guy had described me as a "psycho" , riding off the brakes and jumping every little bump. So that's two of us that went home with complements ringing in,our ears!

Oh, and we had a One Plant Adventure burger as a reward afterwards. Nom.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Technically yesterdays ride as it's just gone midnight and didn't get the chance to post this before work...

I was on shift at 14:00 so wanted to get a few miles in before lunchtime. The sun was shining but the car had an icy windscreen in the shade of the front of the house. I decided to wear my longs, but after a few miles, wish I'd had gone with the shorts option! It was a great day to get out and about.
Shame I had to go to work really as I could have pedalled away all day :bicycle:

Anyway, as usual, I didn't have much of a plan in mind so rode towards the town centre, then southwestwards along the river banks.

Overlooking the site of the Civil War battle of Northampton is this monument, erected, I think, in 1872. There's no inscription around it, so I assume it's summat to do with the battle.

DSC_1540.jpg

Note missing bit of lightning conductor as scrap copper is worth a few ££ around here...

Following the riverside until Brackmills, I had to do a mile or so on the A428. The cycle path alongside is only suited to MTB's so I stayed on the road. Up the hill into Little Houghton and onwards to Cogenhoe (Pronounced Cookno) seemed a breeze today with the sun shining and little wind for a change. I managed a few PB's on Strava up and down the hills through he village.

After Whiston Hill I used a usual route overlooking Grendon Lakes that goes behind Castle Ashby House.

DSC_1543.jpg

The road is quite bad due to neglect and the winter weather but is OK as long as you look at the surface, not the lovely view!
After a right turn at the top of the hill, I saw a left turn towards Eastern Maudit I'd not ridden before... It's a great road to whoop down and carry a bit of speed back up the rises as you can see if there's any traffic on the road. I'll certainly ride it again soon!

I took a bit of a wrong turn after Bozeat ( Pronounced Bowjut (with a soft 'J')) and ended up on the A509 which isn't the best of roads to cycle, but.. Hey Ho, I was there so just got on with it and luckily all the trucks and cars gave me a bit of space as they passed. Must have been the lovely weather that put everyone in a good mood for a change..

I was hoping to get to Salcey for a bit of cake but really didn't have the time to get there so, from Wollaston (Surprisingly pronounced 'Wollaston'!) but had to aim in the general direction of home.
I didn't have the power in my legs today to make a real effort up the hill to the back of Gt. Doddington, so pootled up to the top in a leisurely fashion, but after the B537, there's crackin' swoop don and up into Wilby that always puts a smile on my face...

Riding through Mears Ashby, I noticed a plaque I'd not seen before. Being a sucker for new stuff like this I had to stop and see what it was about.

mission 48.jpg

DSC_1549.jpg

The pics speak for themselves... I'm sending them to a USAF friend of mine, who lives in Mississippi, as he was based here in the 70's and is interested in sites like this and is happy, if that's the word, that us Brits still commemorate such events.

Anyways on.............

I needed sustenance at this point, so dropped in at the deli/café in Sywell for the most wonderful homemade Bakewell Tart & a mug of tea

DSC_1552.jpg

Sadly. I had to get a move on as it was only a couple of hours until I had to be at work.

30 miles ridden in lovely sunshine. 20c warmer and it could have been summer!! :sun:

http://www.strava.com/activities/116238656

No piccies - just a short run into town to stretch my legs, collect a repeat prescription and visit the LBS to collect a replacement gear cable. I have some 'issues' with the chain slipping on the cassette, but suspect they are gear cable related and needed a replacement before I dismantled life and killed it all! Then it seemed too nice a day to leave it at a 10 mile bike ride so I headed off out of town and did a short circuit, only to find that the wind was windier than I had thought and that there was a surprisingly strong headwind to content with on the way home via the chemist, to drop off the prescription....
http://www.strava.com/activities/116475130 22miles all said and told. Sun is surprisingly warm, the wind surprisingly cold today... Also spotted several more patches of daffodils in flower, so even if we are not convinced, the flora and fauna appear to think spring is on its way.

Oh - and I had a special few moments with a kestrel flying alongside me in the sunshine... :smile:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
After a few days of meaning to go out but being too wiped out after work I actually managed a ride today. I sent hubs off to walk a couple of dogs in Drayton while I walked a Wymondham dog from about a mile up the road so I took the bike. I didn't go straight there, I took a different route via Wattlefield, then skimmed Bunwell then across to Ashwellthorpe and then into the customer's road over the foot/cycle bridge and to the customer's house. After taking a reluctant pug for a very very slow walk (overtaken by 3 pensioners one of whom was using a walking frame) as pug is seriously broad in the beam.
As I'd been out for 45 minutes then it seemed silly to go 6 minutes home so I went back up Rightup Lane and back over the bridge and road a triangular loop and then home via Silfield Road. 13.1 in 1:04:06 so I was quite pleased with that. 190 feet of climbing of which I felt ever inch as I am so fat and unfit. I am seriously wondering about moving to Devon as I was stuggling on the drag up Silfield Road between Ashwellthorpe and Long Lane but I got up it. I was overtaken by a Reliant Robin so I must have been going slowly :laugh:

openroad

Well was having a really good ride the sun had got out after the rain,was ten miles in going down a country lane saw a small mini bus up ahead.As he got closer I slowed down thought he would pull into the passing area next to him so we could both pass by easily .No such thing it was almost like he was on a mission to speed up and see how close he could get to me, whilst whipping dust and small stones into the air !!!Pulled over and had a nice cold drink to chill myself out and carried on for another 20 miles .Loads of daffodils out wonder if we just won't get snow this year in Norfolk!!

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I was on my to a friend's this afternoon when I happened to look up and saw a Mordor-esque bank of dark clouds heading my way. I thought that I might just make it but then I turned the corner and rode slap into a headwind, knocking my speed down from 15+ to barely 8. Needless to say, I was at this point attempting to make way down a long, straight residential street - one which surely inspired the first wind tunnels. And possibly a torture chamber or two since the headwind then filled up with hailstones ... you've all been there, you know what it was like.

Luckily (though possibly less so for the waistline) my friend is absolutely wonderful and had a mug of tea, a slab of home-made chocolate cake, and a roaring open fire awaiting my rather soggy arrival.

The sun shone the whole time I was there. It rained on the way home.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Well was having a really good ride the sun had got out after the rain,was ten miles in going down a country lane saw a small mini bus up ahead.As he got closer I slowed down thought he would pull into the passing area next to him so we could both pass by easily .No such thing it was almost like he was on a mission to speed up and see how close he could get to me, whilst whipping dust and small stones into the air !!!Pulled over and had a nice cold drink to chill myself out and carried on for another 20 miles .Loads of daffodils out wonder if we just won't get snow this year in Norfolk!!
The like is for the report rather than for being close passed. Hope you never have to encounter that fool again.

I was on my to a friend's this afternoon when I happened to look up and saw a Mordor-esque bank of dark clouds heading my way. I thought that I might just make it but then I turned the corner and rode slap into a headwind, knocking my speed down from 15+ to barely 8. Needless to say, I was at this point attempting to make way down a long, straight residential street - one which surely inspired the first wind tunnels. And possibly a torture chamber or two since the headwind then filled up with hailstones ... you've all been there, you know what it was like.

Luckily (though possibly less so for the waistline) my friend is absolutely wonderful and had a mug of tea, a slab of home-made chocolate cake, and a roaring open fire awaiting my rather soggy arrival.

The sun shone the whole time I was there. It rained on the way home.
Isn't that just typical.:rolleyes: I don't know what the weather has against us at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom