Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When non cycling friends ask us why we do it, I struggle to give a coherent answer. "It" being dragging your half awake body out of bed at 0645 on a Sunday morning, peering out of the window and seeing even bare trees waving around in the wind. Porridge and honey quickly dispatched with a cup of filter coffee then 11 miles to the start of the Melton Olympic Reliability Ride, aided by a strong tailwind I should add. We do this every year, meet up with old friends and finish at the organisers house for an incredible spread of food..
The start, signing on from the back of a van, dr_pink detectable by the er, pink hat :smile:
2014_02007_zps3faffa91.jpg

The ride splits up into several groups so we don't all arrive back at the same time, today with the strength of the wind that was never going to happen anyway.
Heading into Lincolnshire with dr_pink setting the pace.
2014_02008_zps7e5a1005.jpg

You can tell this is Lincolnshire [no offence intended to those who live there] by the state of the potholes which while not quite up to Cheshire's standards I still wouldn't fancy hitting one at speed.
2014_02009_zps8eef6a1e.jpg

Later on we picked up another group after dr_pink had sat on the front on the toughest section directly into a really strong wind, as is usual with club riders, they melded in seamlessly.
, a little different from a forum ride :rolleyes:
2014_02010_zpsca722f3d.jpg

Back at the hosts house, here is just some the food on offer, no wonder we come back every year!
2014_02011_zps0d60b73c.jpg

2014_02012_zps5dd2ad21.jpg

Unfortunately we couldn't partake of too much as we still had nearly 12 miles to go and into a killer headwind.
The lonely ride back
2014_02013_zps6a5de2bf.jpg

The strength of the wind can be seen from the wires
2014_02014_zps21d5bd21.jpg

A tremendous day, made all the better by the high quality of both the riding and the food, 73 miles done, about 60 riders out and not one puncture or mechanical that I heard of. A welcome glass of chocolate milk as a recovery drink when we got home and a small meal later this evening with the odd glass of red, perfect ending.

That Brompton photo is great Mike
Mike? Mice!
:blush:............sorry
Hehe, bet that lot round the lake was an eye opener for the yummy mummies with their 4 abreast buggies:laugh:

It was a great day - it seemed like the first day of Spring. Luckily everyone seemed quite capable of sharing paths and for some reason we were given quite a lot of room with people pointing and staring at us!!

Mice :hello:

Today however, I was on a road bike ............ http://the5milecyclist.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/a-pootle-around-london.html

Combi

By all means, do venture out! I just returned from a quick ride over to Clevedon and back; traffic was light, as was the wind. I could have kept going for hours but, alas, have a few tasks yet to do today. So glad I went out though. ^_^

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I had planned a 40 mile ride in the Blackdowns today with about 2400+ft of climbing but felt quite ropey this morning so headed up onto the Quantocks instead for a much shorter ride with only 1500ft to climb. As always, it was great to be out in the sunshine though the clouds were playing silly wotsits and threw themselves in front of the sun at almost every viewpoint.

Quantocks 24feb14 (800x600).jpg

Big Nick

Well I put off (chickened out!!) of the planned 32 mile ride blaming the windy conditions!

Instead I did a 15 miler ending up with the steeper section at the end with the wind against!

Felt the best I have afterwards though, no aches and pains etc apart from my hands which were numb from the bar pressure not the cold so I got home and treated myself by ordering some proper cycling gloves!!

Beginners progress continues!!

Spartak