Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK - this is yesterday's ride. I was simply too exhausted when I got in last night after 133.34km with 1,177m of climbing on a solo, unsupported ride with over 1/2 the route into a stiff headwind (that's my excuses done and dusted...:laugh:) - imperial figures are 83miles and 3,850 feet of climbing... In fact it turned out to be my single longest ride since the 5 dog bites and the re-design of my lower left leg 2 years ago.

It started off in rain, but I knew from the rain radar that it was not going to last too long, but that said it was a waterproof top job until it cleared after the first hour. After that it was mostly sunshine, with some cloud and one or two attempts at rain but nothing major. What got to me the most was the wind. It was a steady southerly and I was heading due south for the first 45 miles!

DSC_0160_1000.JPG

The sunshine finally arrives and I can stop for my first break and change over to my cycling jersey from my waterproof top.
It was a day of kind drivers for some reason - one 4x4 lady driver I met on a single track country lane actually pulled off the road and stopped. I had to check behind me at this point to confirm she had to done this for me: she had - there were no other vehicle in sight! She got a very big smile and thank you.

Further on and after negotiating one or two interesting hazards along a national cycle route (flood, ramp up & over a large pipe leading to a slurry pit, missing road surface (in its entirety) on a steep single track downhill and finally an unmanned gated railway crossing - this one with instructions to open both gates before proceeding through - physically impossible as it turned out because there was no way of holding the far gate open whilst you went back for the bike, and the crossing point was not wide enough for the bike to be even vaguely clear of the track whilst you opened the other gate :wacko: (train went through less than 30 seconds later) I came across this lovely patch of snowdrops which defied me to cycle on without trying to photograph them.

IMG_0195_1000.JPG

Around the corner I managed to cycle passed a whole load of daffodils in full flower, but failed to cycle passed this lovely old building which looks sadly neglected...

DSC_0162_1000.JPG

From there, I made good progress up and down the hills and lanes until lunch called time with this view.

IMG_0196_1000.JPG

Then it was on to my destination for the day and onto much bigger busier roads. All but one driver was great waiting patiently behind me until it was clear (A51, A53, A34 type roads!) - there is a lot to be said for cycling in all black with a very bright rear light. :becool: For some reason drivers seem to think you are more unsafe than one in hi-viz and give you much more room (assuming they have actually seen you in the first place, that is) :wacko:.

After I had completely my business in Trentham it was off towards Swynnerton woods and some more climbing to be done... (think granny gear and this is not going to defeat me attitude) but by now I was tiring of that head wind! I knew it was due to swing round to be a south westerly and then westerly and my loop kept it as a headwind until I started to head north again. Another stop was needed and duely taken shortly after the start of the decent (I hate stopping at the top of a climb).

From there it was a slow plod home with the distance ticking on. I recall the relief when treble figures on the distance to go, dropped to double figures and the relief when it said 50km to finish... then the magic figure of 36km arrived - that is the distance from my home to my parents' home - and I knew I had enough energy left to do that (with another break)...

Cycling across a local canal, I spotted another opportunity for a photo, but sadly I don't think I made the most of it. I was too tired. I just loved the light in it, but I should have secured my bike better, rather than leaving it on the road bridge and walked further up the canal...

IMG_0208_1000.JPG

Then I started to realise that I was going to be 3km short of 130km. That would never do: I had come this far, surely I could make 130km, so started to try to find 3km without having to include too many more hills - which meant doing it before I got within 10 miles of home.... so I went off and missed a turn or two and cycled back again several times over and somehow managed to find 6km instead! not sure my maths skills were working very well at this point :whistle:...

Then there was one final hurdle of the day. A rather unexpected one given it was so close to home. A standard cyclists approach is to ignore road closed signs and I had no intention of doing anything other than ignoring this one because the alternative was the A54 and then the A49 in rush hour as it was going dark and I was too exhausted to consider that option. So I cycled through at least 4 road closed signs... they were right. They road was very definitely closed... Luckily there was a pedestrian & cyclist diversion, but was this sign really necessary?

DSC_0167_1000.JPG

You think I am going to cycle down that with the lack of space at the bottom? OK actually I had to climb that with my bike, but the other side had the same notice as well...

DSC_0165_1000.JPG

Some weight lifting exercise before the day is done... :training: Now this is also a bridlepath and that is the diversion for horses as well!

DSC_0168_1000.JPG

And the reason for the road closer... the bridge is out completely. Can't go over it and can't go under it either... Mind you given that that is actually daylight you can see - I don't think I would actually want to go over it! :eek:

IMG_0209_1000.JPG

Current diversions on the Whitegate Way (and the road crossing it at Whitegate station).

:eek: daylight through the bridge!
IMG_0212_1000.JPG

http://www.strava.com/activities/115809005

Stu Plows

Coming soon: Bonking on a hill near you!
Had grandparents staying all weekend hence the very early morning Saturday ride whilst they were still sleeping, so Monday was my day for a big ride.

I had no plans where to go, just follow my nose and get to Kimbolton. What I didn’t plan on doing was get to Kimbolton on such a good average - 17.9mph, which is really good for me.

Headed out from home through one area that I thought may be flooded but it wasn’t so always nice to go through there on a start of a ride, then headed up to Wollaston to get the obligatory sign picture…

232C700D-E1B3-4340-AE6D-4889FD13C2E0.jpg

Pressed on and thought best idea would be to head towards Santa Pod as I’d never seen it, wasn’t overly impressed but nonetheless I had a quick look at it. Saw this memorial on the way up too.

C93B7FED-896E-4057-85D3-9E53406B037D.jpg

Once I left the Pod, I had to actually take a bit of a detour to get around as I didn’t fancy riding down the A6 even if it was 11am, but ended up going through a few lovely villages that I will have to take the Mrs through to put ideas in her head.

Eventually, I crossed the A6 and was onto better road surfaces, absolutely beautiful in fact. I took some more deviations to the planned destination that ended up taking me past an RAF Thurleigh (?) base I never even knew existed, the road literally took me right around the perimeter of the east side of it and I was averaging 23mph for a lot of it, dead empty open road at speed, fabulous, link to segment. Managed to make it to Kimbolton at around 12.15pm.

AC50641F-CE9A-499F-8FD6-49923992E6FB.jpg

0B6D59F4-7666-4752-826C-F47A025BE073.jpg

Had a coffee and Vienese finger in Buttercups and set off into the rain.

Not much to report in terms of the route back, all a bit nothingy really, wet and miserable and I didn’t really enjoy myself as much as I did on the way to Kimbolton so improvement has to be made for the route back, but that was really down to the B660 being shut towards Catworth.

Looking at the elevation profile for the ride, I can now see why I had such a good average across the 62 miles, but still more than happy. And have to say I think I have fallen for the roads out that way, the surface just seems to be better.

http://www.strava.com/activities/115778918

Last edited:

potsy

Rambler
27 miles today, my longest ride for 5 weeks, like satnav says the wind is strong and from the south so knew the first half of the ride would be tough.
A few pics, camera lens must have a smudge that I didn't notice but you get the idea.

Alternative to the Tatton Mile, much more pleasant

P1020942.jpg

Imagine my surprise to see a familiar face in the park, well there is a resemblance to @I like Skol :whistle:

P1020943.jpg

Quick pit stop by the lake, was quite chilly in that wind so didn't stop for long

P1020944.jpg

Onwards to the tunnels

P1020946.jpg

So that was it, 27 miles of mainly nice lanes with the odd bit of main road, 750ft of climbing which in my current state of fatness is quite good, home now with tea :cuppa:

Had grandparents staying all weekend hence the very early morning Saturday ride whilst they were still sleeping, so Monday was my day for a big ride.

I had no plans where to go, just follow my nose and get to Kimbolton. What I didn’t plan on doing was get to Kimbolton on such a good average - 17.9mph, which is really good for me.

Headed out from home through one area that I thought may be flooded but it wasn’t so always nice to go through there on a start of a ride, then headed up to Wollaston to get the obligatory sign picture…

232C700D-E1B3-4340-AE6D-4889FD13C2E0.jpg

Pressed on and thought best idea would be to head towards Santa Pod as I’d never seen it, wasn’t overly impressed but nonetheless I had a quick look at it. Saw this memorial on the way up too.

C93B7FED-896E-4057-85D3-9E53406B037D.jpg

Once I left the Pod, I had to actually take a bit of a detour to get around as I didn’t fancy riding down the A6 even if it was 11am, but ended up going through a few lovely villages that I will have to take the Mrs through to put ideas in her head.

Eventually, I crossed the A6 and was onto better road surfaces, absolutely beautiful in fact. I took some more deviations to the planned destination that ended up taking me past an RAF Thurleigh (?) base I never even knew existed, the road literally took me right around the perimeter of the east side of it and I was averaging 23mph for a lot of it, dead empty open road at speed, fabulous, link to segment. Managed to make it to Kimbolton at around 12.15pm.

AC50641F-CE9A-499F-8FD6-49923992E6FB.jpg

0B6D59F4-7666-4752-826C-F47A025BE073.jpg

Had a coffee and Vienese finger in Buttercups and set off into the rain.

Not much to report in terms of the route back, all a bit nothingy really, wet and miserable and I didn’t really enjoy myself as much as I did on the way to Kimbolton so improvement has to be made for the route back, but that was really down to the B660 being shut towards Catworth.

Looking at the elevation profile for the ride, I can now see why I had such a good average across the 62 miles, but still more than happy. And have to say I think I have fallen for the roads out that way, the surface just seems to be better.

http://www.strava.com/activities/115778918
Know the area around Kimbolton well, ridden through it many times often ending up at the farm shop cafe at Thurleigh on the club rides from Cambridge. Do you ever go to the Buddhist cafe at Kelmarsh? Handy stop for you I would have thought, haven't been since we were members of Leicester Road Club but will revisit it this year.

Stu Plows

Coming soon: Bonking on a hill near you!
Know the area around Kimbolton well, ridden through it many times often ending up at the farm shop cafe at Thurleigh on the club rides from Cambridge. Do you ever go to the Buddhist cafe at Kelmarsh? Handy stop for you I would have thought, haven't been since we were members of Leicester Road Club but will revisit it this year.
I’ve heard that the Buddhist Cafe is/was good, however, last time I tried to go it was closed for one reason or another. With our club run on a Saturday, it gets suggested sometimes but I've never been since attending. I guess with it only been 15 or so decent miles from me, I could give that a try. Thanks for the tip.

Combi

OK - this is yesterday's ride. I was simply too exhausted when I got in last night after 133.34km with 1,177m of climbing on a solo, unsupported ride with over 1/2 the route into a stiff headwind (that's my excuses done and dusted...:laugh:) - imperial figures are 83miles and 3,850 feet of climbing... In fact it turned out to be my single longest ride since the 5 dog bites and the re-design of my lower left leg 2 years ago.

Really nice ride report and pictures. Makes me truly envious!

Peteaud

Veteran

It started off in rain, but I knew from the rain radar that it was not going to last too long, but that said it was a waterproof top job until it cleared after the first hour. After that it was mostly sunshine, with some cloud and one or two attempts at rain but nothing major. What got to me the most was the wind. It was a steady southerly and I was heading due south for the first 45 miles!

View attachment 38804

The sunshine finally arrives and I can stop for my first break and change over to my cycling jersey from my waterproof top.
It was a day of kind drivers for some reason - one 4x4 lady driver I met on a single track country lane actually pulled off the road and stopped. I had to check behind me at this point to confirm she had to done this for me: she had - there were no other vehicle in sight! She got a very big smile and thank you.

Further on and after negotiating one or two interesting hazards along a national cycle route (flood, ramp up & over a large pipe leading to a slurry pit, missing road surface (in its entirety) on a steep single track downhill and finally an unmanned gated railway crossing - this one with instructions to open both gates before proceeding through - physically impossible as it turned out because there was no way of holding the far gate open whilst you went back for the bike, and the crossing point was not wide enough for the bike to be even vaguely clear of the track whilst you opened the other gate :wacko: (train went through less than 30 seconds later) I came across this lovely patch of snowdrops which defied me to cycle on without trying to photograph them.

View attachment 38809

Around the corner I managed to cycle passed a whole load of daffodils in full flower, but failed to cycle passed this lovely old building which looks sadly neglected...

View attachment 38805

From there, I made good progress up and down the hills and lanes until lunch called time with this view.

View attachment 38810

Then it was on to my destination for the day and onto much bigger busier roads. All but one driver was great waiting patiently behind me until it was clear (A51, A53, A34 type roads!) - there is a lot to be said for cycling in all black with a very bright rear light. :becool: For some reason drivers seem to think you are more unsafe than one in hi-viz and give you much more room (assuming they have actually seen you in the first place, that is) :wacko:.

After I had completely my business in Trentham it was off towards Swynnerton woods and some more climbing to be done... (think granny gear and this is not going to defeat me attitude) but by now I was tiring of that head wind! I knew it was due to swing round to be a south westerly and then westerly and my loop kept it as a headwind until I started to head north again. Another stop was needed and duely taken shortly after the start of the decent (I hate stopping at the top of a climb).

From there it was a slow plod home with the distance ticking on. I recall the relief when treble figures on the distance to go, dropped to double figures and the relief when it said 50km to finish... then the magic figure of 36km arrived - that is the distance from my home to my parents' home - and I knew I had enough energy left to do that (with another break)...

Cycling across a local canal, I spotted another opportunity for a photo, but sadly I don't think I made the most of it. I was too tired. I just loved the light in it, but I should have secured my bike better, rather than leaving it on the road bridge and walked further up the canal...

View attachment 38811

Then I started to realise that I was going to be 3km short of 130km. That would never do: I had come this far, surely I could make 130km, so started to try to find 3km without having to include too many more hills - which meant doing it before I got within 10 miles of home.... so I went off and missed a turn or two and cycled back again several times over and somehow managed to find 6km instead! not sure my maths skills were working very well at this point :whistle:...

Then there was one final hurdle of the day. A rather unexpected one given it was so close to home. A standard cyclists approach is to ignore road closed signs and I had no intention of doing anything other than ignoring this one because the alternative was the A54 and then the A49 in rush hour as it was going dark and I was too exhausted to consider that option. So I cycled through at least 4 road closed signs... they were right. They road was very definitely closed... Luckily there was a pedestrian & cyclist diversion, but was this sign really necessary?

View attachment 38807
You think I am going to cycle down that with the lack of space at the bottom? OK actually I had to climb that with my bike, but the other side had the same notice as well...

View attachment 38806
Some weight lifting exercise before the day is done... :training: Now this is also a bridlepath and that is the diversion for horses as well!

View attachment 38808

And the reason for the road closer... the bridge is out completely. Can't go over it and can't go under it either... Mind you given that that is actually daylight you can see - I don't think I would actually want to go over it! :eek:

View attachment 38812
Current diversions on the Whitegate Way (and the road crossing it at Whitegate station).

:eek: daylight through the bridge!
View attachment 38813

http://www.strava.com/activities/115809005

Really like those pics.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Riding home late last night, just me, the bike and the stars.
Sounds very pleasant.:thumbsup:

Peteaud

Veteran
For my Wednesday ride i decided to go over the levels to see if the floods are going down.

From Chard i headed up the old railway line, now a cycle path before going down the backroads to Dowlish wake. Going along the roman road through Lopen and Over Straton before crossing the A303 (strangely quite today) before going through South Petherton and out towards the Lambrooks. A closed road meant a detour through Stembridge, where the roads started to get flooded.

The plan was to cross the old Westport canal and head into Hambridge. No way was this going to happen as the road is still flooded. This meant taking some really silly backroad untill i got to Shepton Beauchamp and back onto the route 33 cycle route, through Barrington and back toward Westport.

Turning left and heading for the medieval village of Isle Brewers the weather was deteriorating rapidy (i was alread wet from a heavy shower) and the black menecing clouds and rapidly increasing wind meant I cut the ride short and started heading for home.

At Ilton the hail started although hiding under some trees i did manage a small amount of shelter.

All in a really good ride of 35 miles and a bike that was filthy it got an immediate clean when home.

The only downer, the state of some of the roads round here, one i actualy got off and walked as the mud and debris was just silly.

large.jpg

Dowlish Wake

large.jpg

Dowlish Church.

large.jpg

Bike and Tree :rolleyes:

large.jpg

Wet road

large.jpg

The somerset Lake that shouldn't be.

large.jpg

Ran out of road !!!!

large.jpg

Poncy shot that i really like :becool:

large.jpg

Sunken road.

large.jpg

Looking up

large.jpg

Barrington church.

large.jpg

Old Grave. Note the date.

large.jpg

Choccy box house

large.jpg

Somerset super highway :laugh:

large.jpg

The old Railway line.

large.jpg

Another poncy pic, but i like the contrast between the bike, gate, grass and sky.

And finally, all shots taken with my new (old) camera. Panasonic Lumix LS5.

Really enjoying this years rides on the new bike, don't care about speed this year, just views and scenery. I am even going to put my tri bag back on the bike to hold the camera as i did find that keep rumageing about in an already full pocket a real pain.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
For my Wednesday ride i decided to go over the levels to see if the floods are going down.

From Chard i headed up the old railway line, now a cycle path before going down the backroads to Dowlish wake. Going along the roman road through Lopen and Over Straton before crossing the A303 (strangely quite today) before going through South Petherton and out towards the Lambrooks. A closed road meant a detour through Stembridge, where the roads started to get flooded.

The plan was to cross the old Westport canal and head into Hambridge. No way was this going to happen as the road is still flooded. This meant taking some really silly backroad untill i got to Shepton Beauchamp and back onto the route 33 cycle route, through Barrington and back toward Westport.

Turning left and heading for the medieval village of Isle Brewers the weather was deteriorating rapidy (i was alread wet from a heavy shower) and the black menecing clouds and rapidly increasing wind meant I cut the ride short and started heading for home.

At Ilton the hail started although hiding under some trees i did manage a small amount of shelter.

All in a really good ride of 35 miles and a bike that was filthy it got an immediate clean when home.

The only downer, the state of some of the roads round here, one i actualy got off and walked as the mud and debris was just silly.

large.jpg

Dowlish Wake

large.jpg

Dowlish Church.

large.jpg

Bike and Tree :rolleyes:

large.jpg

Wet road

large.jpg

The somerset Lake that shouldn't be.

large.jpg

Ran out of road !!!!

large.jpg

Poncy shot that i really like :becool:

large.jpg

Sunken road.

large.jpg

Looking up

large.jpg

Barrington church.

large.jpg

Old Grave.

large.jpg

Choccy box house

large.jpg

Somerset super highway :laugh:

large.jpg

The old Railway line.

large.jpg

Another poncy pic, but i like the contrat between the bike, gate, grass and sky.

And finally, all shots taken with my new (old) camera. Panasonic Lumix LS5.

Really enjoying this years rides on the new bike, dont care about speed this year, just views and scenery. I am even going to put my tri bag back on the bike to hold the camera as i did find that keep rumageing about in an already full pocket a real pain.

Brilliant pics again peteaud

potsy

Rambler
Little potter along the TPT today while the sun was almost shining, it's slowly starting to dry up a bit now, might have to finally clean the bike.

P1020960.jpg

Picnic spot No 1

P1020947.jpg

Think somebody's boat is in a bit of trouble.

P1020949.jpg

Wonder what has sparked these bird's attention?

P1020955.jpg

Ah, possibly this..

P1020956.jpg

Up and over the river

P1020951.jpg

Looks almost pleasant around here at times..

P1020958.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom