Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I have a feeling all the figures from Garmin like devices are kind of 'round about'. I upload my stuff onto RWGPS and onto Strava and although they are similar the don't coincide ever.
Maybe it's just that the different sites use different methods to interpret the data.

I upload to Strava, then grab the gpx from Strava to then upload to Endomondo, results are then normally the same.

Using the original gpx on both sites will see variations due to the way they process them.

colly

Re member eR
See that sounds teknikal. I just plug it in and see wot appens.

How accurate is the altitude? I have an altimeter and barometer on my watch that seems to be remarkably accurate because I can compare it to known points on a map, however when I compared it to a friends Garmin at the end of a ride there was several hundred meters difference!
Its supposed to be very accurate over a short period but I set the Garmin site so it corrects it. Generally over a long ride it can be 600ft or more out. Uncorrected that ride was 1434ft, corrected 2670ft (by garmin using maping).

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Ride out to Hebden for a brew with @ColinJ who looks to be improving health wise every time I see him.

The ride was pleasant enough and uneventful until I turned up Manchester Rd about 3 miles from home.

The wind was so strong I was literally blown of 3 times by the time I got to the top - I'm 17 1/2 stones by the way.

On the usually easy flattish run into my village I had to use my granny ring and big sprocket (30:30) and managed, just about, to keep pedalling.

It was scary and fun at the same time - I love rough weather!

Justiffa

Every Wednesday we have a community nite ride here where I live... we alternate between several routes, each about 30-35km only. this is to cater for every type of bike & level of rider. 2 checkpoints & a sweeper provides a certain feeling of security for newbies, all in an effort to create awareness & generate interest towards cycling.

558929_10201667335997488_1370611068_n.jpg

This was last nite's crowd.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The ride was pleasant enough and uneventful until I turned up Manchester Rd about 3 miles from home.

The wind was so strong I was literally blown of 3 times by the time I got to the top - I'm 17 1/2 stones by the way.

On the usually easy flattish run into my village I had to use my granny ring and big sprocket (30:30) and managed, just about, to keep pedalling.

It was scary and fun at the same time - I love rough weather!
Yes - as forecast, the wind really picked up after you left. At times, I could hear it roaring through leafless trees, even over the sound of my TV!

At some point it just stopped - at 01:00, I put my recycling out for collection and by then all was calm again.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Just back from a ride that was possibly a bit misguided.:blush:

With the forecast showing a band of rain, sleet and possibly snow coming in between 3 and 4pm I thought I'd get a trip in before it arrived. The chosen route was out to Longnor and Acton Burnell then across to Cressage, past Wroxeter, up to Upton Magna and back through the centre of Shrewsbury.

Well..... that was the plan at least.

The trip out to Longnor was against the wind, which slowed me down by a few mph, and through lanes full of puddles and mud from the downpours last night. As usual though once I turned towards Acton Burnell I had a fast wind assisted run for about 3 miles. By choosing my route I was able to keep the speed up by taking the flatter way through Acton Pigott to Cound Moor. Next stop was Cressage where I got hooted at by a motorist for the first time in ages. 18mph was clearly too slow for his liking, but also too fast for him to pass easily on that road :dry:. Hope someone does the same to him - see how he likes it.:laugh:

I was now on my way to Wroxeter, but as I reached the hamlet of Dryton I felt a few spots of rain and I could see the weather I was hoping to outrun was turning up much faster than I'd anticipated.:rain:(This was naturally as far from home as I could possibly be on this route :rolleyes:) Time to break out the rain cape.

By the time I reached Wroxeter the rain was coming down heavily and had brought some squally winds with it. I took the decision to take a shorter route home and headed for the main road to Atcham. This was busier than I'd hoped and some of the passes were closer than I'd have liked with the wind wanting to shove me into the middle of the road from time to time, but I got there and was able to head for the lanes to Condover before taking the shortest way back home (another bit of main road). Again, most people were giving less room than I'd like - especially a red Audi (would be wouldn't it?) who I took great delight in filtering past a bit further down the road when he was stuck in a queue.:tongue:

27.1 miles at 11.8mph average. I thought it was going to be a lot slower than that as I seemed to be crawling along once the weather turned nasty.

DSC02280.JPG

On the way to Condover with the earlier sunshine being shoved out of the way by some threatening looking cloud. We've got loads of time though.:thumbsup:

DSC02281.JPG

The ford near Cound Moor. Looks nice and innocent from the approach, but don't be fooled - it's more than hub deep. I'm using the bridge.

DSC02282.JPG

Just a quick pause before joining the Buildwas - Wroxeter road. The Wrekin is the backdrop.

DSC02283.JPG

A nice pastoral scene at Upper Dryton. Just one small problem - there should be hills in the background.
This is a full hour earlier than I expected the rain. Time to put on the cape and remember rule 9.:laugh:

Last edited:
Just back from a ride that was possibly a bit misguided.:blush:

With the forecast showing a band of rain, sleet and possibly snow coming in between 3 and 4pm I thought I'd get a trip in before it arrived. The chosen route was out to Longnor and Acton Burnell then across to Cressage, past Wroxeter, up to Upton Magna and back through the centre of Shrewsbury.

Well..... that was the plan at least.

The trip out to Longnor was against the wind, which slowed me down by a few mph, and through lanes full of puddles and mud from the downpours last night. As usual though once I turned towards Acton Burnell I had a fast wind assisted run for about 3 miles. By choosing my route I was able to keep the speed up by taking the flatter way through Acton Pigott to Cound Moor. Next stop was Cressage where I got hooted at by a motorist for the first time in ages. 18mph was clearly too slow for his liking, but also too fast for him to pass easily on that road :dry:. Hope someone does the same to him - see how he likes it.:laugh:

I was now on my way to Wroxeter, but as I reached the hamlet of Dryton I felt a few spots of rain and I could see the weather I was hoping to outrun was turning up much faster than I'd anticipated.:rain:(This was naturally as far from home as I could possibly be on this route :rolleyes:) Time to break out the rain cape.

By the time I reached Wroxeter the rain was coming down heavily and had brought some squally winds with it. I took the decision to take a shorter route home and headed for the main road to Atcham. This was busier than I'd hoped and some of the passes were closer than I'd have liked with the wind wanting to shove me into the middle of the road from time to time, but I got there and was able to head for the lanes to Condover before taking the shortest way back home (another bit of main road). Again, most people were giving less room than I'd like - especially a red Audi (would be wouldn't it?) who I took great delight in filtering past a bit further down the road when he was stuck in a queue.:tongue:

27.1 miles at 11.8mph average. I thought it was going to be a lot slower than that as I seemed to be crawling along once the weather turned nasty.

View attachment 34597
On the way to Condover with the earlier sunshine being shoved out of the way by some threatening looking cloud. We've got loads of time though.:thumbsup:

View attachment 34598
The ford near Cound Moor. Looks nice and innocent from the approach, but don't be fooled - it's more than hub deep. I'm using the bridge.

View attachment 34599
Just a quick pause before joining the Buildwas - Wroxeter road. The Wrekin is the backdrop.

View attachment 34600
A nice pastoral scene at Upper Dryton. Just one small problem - there should be hills in the background.
This is a full hour earlier than I expected the rain. Time to put on the cape and remember rule 9.:laugh:

I cancelled today's ride - I decided my OH can fetch his own prescription from the dr's and save me a 13 mile bike ride in the rain. Still aching from yesterday's effort not to mention trying to get my kit dry... Have to go out tomorrow though no matter what the weather.... back parent sitting 4th time in 6 days I think (too tired to count anymore)...

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I cancelled today's ride - I decided my OH can fetch his own prescription from the dr's and save me a 13 mile bike ride in the rain. Still aching from yesterday's effort not to mention trying to get my kit dry... Have to go out tomorrow though no matter what the weather.... back parent sitting 4th time in 6 days I think (too tired to count anymore)...
You might be lucky. The forecast reckons dry through the daylight hours tomorrow. Windy though. (If you trust it that is :dry:)

You might be lucky. The forecast reckons dry through the daylight hours tomorrow. Windy though. (If you trust it that is :dry:)
It was certainly correct for Sunday and yesterday - much debris in the roads on the way home last night. Tuesday was not too bad though. Back after dark tomorrow, so expecting to get wet on the home ride (again). Going out at first light (in theory, practice might be a different matter - might even manage a dawn shot!) and hoping to get away without panniers tomorrow (I get the car for Saturday's trip 5 * 45-50 miles commutes rides inside 7 days will be too much for me :tired:, so thought I might just abandon everything at my parents' for the night!). Just have to remember the bar of soap that needs to go with me! My mother only has scented soap and it kills my asthma!
Had to go and look up rule 9! :wacko: :wahhey:

ColinJ

How accurate is the altitude? I have an altimeter and barometer on my watch that seems to be remarkably accurate because I can compare it to known points on a map, however when I compared it to a friends Garmin at the end of a ride there was several hundred meters difference!
The altitude reading on my GPS is pretty good as long as I make sure that I have a good lock on 4 or more satellites before setting off. The device needs 3 satellites to give an accurate position, but it needs a 4th one to calculate the altitude. I live at an altitude of about 105m and it shows readings anywhere from about 70m to 140m until it gets that 4th satellite lock. (There is a page which can be selected to show the state of satellite signal acquisition.) When it is ready to go, my elevation is usually displayed as being between 103m and 107m.

I check it every time I go up the local hills and find it to be consistently within about +/- 5m of the summit altitudes shown on my OS maps, and often +/- 3m.

ColinJ

View attachment 34598
I made the mistake of thinking it was ok to cycle through a ford once and crashed. It had underwater moss-covered cobbles with wheel-rim-sized gaps between them. The ford is shown here and the water was a lot deeper when I was there. The ford is in a steep-sided dip so I went into it quickly hoping to maintain some momentum up the other side.

Never again - cobbles are hard, and fords are wet!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I made the mistake of thinking it was ok to cycle through a ford once and crashed. It had underwater moss-covered cobbles with wheel-rim-sized gaps between them. The ford is shown here and the water was a lot deeper when I was there. The ford is in a steep-sided dip so I went into it quickly hoping to maintain some momentum up the other side.

Never again - cobbles are hard, and fords are wet!
This one has cobbles too and there was a hole where some have been swept away. My sister fell in the brook because of it last time I took her out that way.:blush:

Don't know whether it's been fixed (probably not) which is another reason for not risking it.

ColinJ

This one has cobbles too and there was a hole where some have been swept away. My sister fell in the brook because of it last time I took her out that way.:blush:

Don't know whether it's been fixed (probably not) which is another reason for not risking it.
At least you have a footbridge to walk the bike over. The stepping stones in my example are a bit dodgy if you have Look cleats on your shoes! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom