Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buzz22

Über Member
That's quite inspiring. I wouldn't mind building something similar out of an old mountain bike

cwskas

Über Member
It has been a good week for riding. Tuesday and Thursday were forecast with winds under 10 and for the most part not gusty. So Charlie and I planned a long ride on Tuesday. We got out about 930am and managed an 80 mile excursion. About a third of it was on roads I had not ridden and some I had not even driven.

A beautiful day, about 10 degrees C and a quartering headwind for the first 30 miles
20230117-Hico-80mi-3.jpeg

20230117-Hico-80mi-5.jpeg

We stopped in the town of Hico for lunch at Eis. I had never been there but Charlie said he ate there every time he was in town. I had a very nice hot sandwich with homemade bread. It was enough for 2 meals, but I knew I would need the energy, so I ate it all!
20230117-Hico-80mi-6.jpeg

On the way out of town there was a re-purposed set of grain elevators ... labeled 'climbing gym'.
20230117-Hico-80mi-9.jpeg

This stretch of road was new for me, I loved it. There were some long hills, but manageable and the scenery was new.
20230117-Hico-80mi-10.jpeg

20230117-Hico-80mi-11.jpeg

20230117-Hico-80mi-12.jpeg

We were starting to get pretty tired by this time, about 2/3 through the planned route. I had not been keeping up with my water as well as I normally do. I think it was because it was a bit cold, I was wearing a wind breaker.

The town of Cranfill's Gap was the last stop of the day. I stocked up on water and had an energy bar. I was going to have about 45 minutes of night riding to get home, but we passed Charlie's house about 8 miles short of that.
20230117-Hico-80mi-14.jpeg

20230117-Hico-80mi-15.jpeg

80.5 miles for me, 10 mph average, 8h 5m moving, 9h 51m total
20230117-Hico-80mi-map.jpeg

cwskas

Über Member
I worked around the house on Wednesday and refrained from anything strenuous . . . not that unusual for me actually, but I was really tired.

Thursday was much cooler than I expected. Another day for the wind breaker and the 'glacier glove' on my head.

I managed 25 miles on the Surly solo, but I had to stop every 5-6 minutes miles to rest my backside.
20230119-Surly-1.jpeg

20230119-Surly-2.jpeg

Average speed 11.7 mph, 2h 11m moving, 2h 44m total.
20230119-Surly-Surly_Time-map.jpg

I took a short break and then got another 25 on the Catrike. This was strictly for endurance on one of the trails which goes across the dam of Lake Waco. Back and forth without a stop and holding a consistent cadence about 99% of the time.

Average speed 11.4 mph, 2h 16m moving, 2h 21m total. There is a sharp climb at the SE end of the trail, shown in the spikes of elevation.
20230119-Endurance-map.jpg

Last edited:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Tuesday: I had a couple of hours free in the afternoon so just headed round my regular Lyth Hill, Condover, Longnor, Acton Burnell, Harnage, route.

I'd put the ice tyres on before the ride in anticipation - the roads were actually mostly dry but where there was ice, the tyres were appreciated. Having the back wheel kick to the side slightly on a badly patched bit of road was a reminder that I still have to take care even with the spikes on.

Flag of the day at Cound was the Welsh Dragon and I decided to head up to the main road and along the lane to Berrington as I haven't done that the last few times I've ridden this way.

It had been a pleasant and uneventful ride so far but after passing through Condover on the way back a driver coming the other way pulled a face at me like this:
Pulling a face.jpg

A bit odd I thought. I'm fairly sure it wasn't anyone I know having a joke either.:huh: A mile or so later a lorry overtook me while a car was coming the other way and needed to pull in sharply across the front of me to avoid a collision, which I wasn't amused about. I managed to let that wash over me this time and got back feeling buoyed up by the enjoyable bits.

25.1 miles at 12.6 mph average. I didn't stop for photos this time despite the nice sunny (but cold) weather.

----------------------------

Yesterday (Thursday): Another free afternoon and another regular route to Dudgeley, Wilderley and Pulverbatch this time. We had a dusting of snow on Wednesday which had partly melted then refrozen overnight so there was a lot of ice about. Locally most of the roads had cleared as the day warmed up but I knew that there would likely be lots of ice in the sheltered spots. I had an alternative route in mind if I found it to be more icy than I was happy with.

I started off with the main road route to Condover (traffic was okay) and on to Ryton and Longnor on the lane which was mostly clear of ice as the sun had been on it. Passing the school in Longnor, a class was out at the front and most of them waved as I went by.^_^ The old Roman road to Hollyhurst also didn't have much ice on so I was fairly happy to carry on with the planned ride.

After crossing the A49 I found it more icy than I'd seen so far on the lane that links to the road to All Stretton. It didn't trouble the spiked tyres but when I stopped to take a photo it was pretty slippy under foot. The lane through Dudgeley wasn't too bad and it wasn't until the climb through Walkmills to Smethcott that it got really noticable again. I picked a lower gear than usual and stayed seated which let me get up the hill with no slips. There are a couple of steep descents I was a little concerned about on the way to Wilderley but fortunately these were in sheltered spots where the frost apparently hadn't got to.

I had to take care again after Wilderley and a passing walker warned me it was quite bad up ahead, which I thanked him for - he wasn't wrong and although I'd have been careful anyway it was good to have the extra notice.

From Pulverbatch I was on the main road to Longden which has been gritted. There was a long stretch where water was running off the fields and making a river down the road - it'll have washed the bike down a bit. At Longden Common I thought I'd turn off onto Long Lane for a change then climb onto Lyth Hill via Lyth Bank. These roads were pretty much clear of ice until I got to Old Coppice, which surprised me as it usually gets a fair bit of traffic heading up to the view point at the top.

I took the track across the top then headed home a fairly meandering way so as to see which of the side roads were still frozen (yes, I am just a big kid at heart).

25.6 miles at 11 mph average.

20230119_144317_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Shortly after crossing the A49 on my way to Dudgeley. This lane was more slippery than it looked.

20230119_145007_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Looking towards The Lawley.

20230119_151234_Richtone(HDR).jpg

The pool at Smethcott.

20230119_152506_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Looking towards The Wrekin from near Wilderley with a snow shower dropping its contents on the Telford area.

20230119_153524.jpg

At Pulverbatch. It was unexpectedly announced a few days ago that The White Horse is closing.:sad:

20230119_154800_Richtone(HDR).jpg

On the way to Exford's Green.

20230119_160320_Richtone(HDR).jpg

At Lyth Hill as the sun sets.

buzz22

Über Member
Today was the first day without rain for a couple of days so I headed out on my regular run to Waterfall and back, a 31km loop that starts through my local shopping area of Sutherland in Sydney then out onto the Prince's Highway, a large highway with rolling inclines and lots of other riders.

My choice of bike was my 1996 Giant CFR Pro series. There has been issues with the front derailleur since I bought the bike and converted it to down tube shifters so it was a relief to realise it now seems to be fixed.

I wasn't trying to break any records but the bike felt so smooth and quick I knew it would be one of my faster rides.

Despite stopping at traffic lights a few times and getting stuck in some weekend traffic (plus not being in my best riding condition) I still managed to do the trip in 1 hour and 9 minutes, averaging almost 27 km/h.

With consistent training and a much improved diet I hope to improve on that and make every ride feel that good.

20230121_115426.jpg

Dave 123

Legendary Member
So this week I started a new training plan on Zwift, build me up lite. It’s short half hour jobs. I did one last night after work…

Again my legs were like lead this morning. The skies were clear and there was ice about so it was easy to take it steady.

I just did the Battisborough loop. I stopped at Carswell farm to say hello to the ladies.

The tide was low so I had the treat of going across the vos.

https://www.strava.com/activities/8426763637
C5014A84-13B1-49E0-B3A5-988BECEC3B08.jpeg

E421FD3F-B68B-4EF4-B392-ABFE0C289120.jpeg

26364813-5E09-4442-AFFD-F5E131C11529.jpeg

C2BA7676-24A4-4828-9F55-3B9A0396DEBA.jpeg

C7D16490-160C-4212-AE5A-AF74E4BDE424.jpeg

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Woke up to snow on the windows, looking out there was a steady fall of snow of snow coming down and for the most part settling. After a quick breakfast I layered up and headed out on the mountain bike. The lanes behind town were covered but not too slippery and i'm soon starting to warm up nicely, the pig farm is especially pungent this morning and I'm glad to get past it.

P1010677.JPG

It's a few kilometres on roads to start the day off and and times I can feel the tires scrabbling for grip, but we successfully reach the edges of the forest and I'm soon plunging under the canopy. I'm surprised to see fresh car tire tracks heading off into the forest and wondered what their up to. I take a short break to strip off a layer, the effort has really warmed me up.

P1010678.JPG

The trails here are normally quite straight forward, but with all of the recent forestry work chewing up the soft ground, coupled with a layer of snow, I can't tell what I'm riding over and the bike is sliding and bouncing all over the place. I'm still also following car tracks through the trees which is making forward progress difficult. I'm happy when my way turns onto a quieter trail and the ground under my wheels is not soo churned up.

P1010679.JPG

I head North for a few kilometres now, the trails a nice mix of gravel fire roads and smaller connecting trails. It's really quiet out here and aside from the tracks on the floor, I completely alone. Turning onto one connecting trail I'm faced with stark evidence of the damage the forestry vechicles are causing. This will eventually heal and it is a working forest after all, but it does make it hard work to cycle.

P1010680.JPG

At the furthest extent of my ride, I'm riding a normally fast gravel road when under my wheels animal tracks appear, it's hard to tell, but possibly they could be Wild Boar. There certainly fresh and they meander down the trail before diving off into the forest and then reappearing with more tracks. For the next kilometre or so they accompany me and I can't help scanning the forest around wondering if I will see the boar that have made them.

P1010681.JPG

I cross a road at the furthest extent of the ride and the snow has turned to drizzle as the day has started to warm slightly, the snow on the ground is starting to melt away. I follow quiet and remote trails under a dense thicket of trees as I slowly start making my way South again.

P1010682.JPG

I stop for a while to eat a flapjack at a log stack that's waiting to be taken away. I start to hear the sound of gunfire, it's coming from the forest a couple of kilometres to the East of me, the very forest I traversed an hour ago as I was going North. I remember the myriad fresh tire tracks and wonder if they are hunters.

P1010683.JPG

The route comes out of the forest for a while now and traverses between fields on rough tracks, at one point I nearly go flying as my tire scrubs out on the muddy/snowy trail. It's slow tough going as I'm scrabbling for traction on the ground. There's several kilometres of this to go before I'm back under the eaves of the forest.

P1010684.JPG

This last forrest marks the last four kilometres of the ride, as the snow is really thinning out now. I take a variety of different trails as I weave around under the canopy. Silver Birch and conifers line the trail and for one brief section I'm trying to ride over deep sand and snow, quite a challenge as the bike slides all over the place. I finally arrive home, wet, tired and happy after an enjoyable and challenging ride in interesting conditions. Overall it's only been 36 kilometres, but my average speed of 14 kilometres tells its own tale of how challenging and tiring the riding has been.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Temperatures soared to 3 degrees and the ice began to melt again. Waited until 11:00 then ventured out with the main intention of avoiding ice, so the flatlands of the Fylde, barely pushing just above sea level, seemed a good idea. Out through Pilling and Preesall, the latter named by the french monks of nearby Cockersands abbey, to the Wild West of the north west, Knott End. Knott End sits at the mouth of the Wyre estuary where there is a small ferry across to Fleetwood and the fleshpots of Blackpool. Nice cafe by the ferry terminus packed with bearded bird watchers. Then returned home on the major roads to avoid the icy patches on the normal routes. 55 km or 34 miles with just 250 m of climbing.

picture of the ferry landing at Knott End.

3C7AAFF4-2DB9-454D-830D-66E44E45641C.jpeg

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
I managed to get my first ride in for over a week, as the ice finally started to recede a bit. Another harsh overnight frost, but I waited until midday and it had melted away. It was still very cold and required as many layers as I could physically get on!

I’d only gone half a mile, before I found the first ice, on the old railway path, which meant a very steady trip along there, before I joined cycle paths up to Heathgates and Sundorne, then the old canal path to Uffington, negotiating a couple of icy patches ok.

I was then out onto roads to Upton Magna and Withington, where ice was prevalent along the edges, but the roads themselves were fine. I climbed up to Charlton and then joined the narrow lane up to Wrockwardine. This was possibly a mistake, as it was the worst section of the ride, with some sections covered in slushy snow and Ice, so it meant taking things very steady and I could feel the wheels slipping around in places. Once I reached the village it cleared and the lane to the old A5 was fine.

I crossed it with ease and joined the road to Eaton Constantine, enjoying the fast descent to the crossroads, where the road to Cressage had reopened following the floods. The Severn was fully back in its banks now, but there was plenty of evidence of where it had been across the road and there was detritus along the verges.

At Cressage I turned up Shore Lane, where an Ambulance was pulled in at the junction, lights flashing, but no sign of anything happening, so some poor soul was obviously inside requiring some urgent help. The climb up to Coundmoor felt a real struggle in the really cold air and I think it started to sap my energy a bit by now. I pressed on to Acton Burnell, some more ice on that stretch in places, before joining the nice downhill section to Pitchford and the climb up to Cantlop.

I turned left at the crossroads and descended to Condover, before climbing back up to Gonsal, crossing the A49 and calling at Dad’s for a cup of tea, warm up and a chat. I set back back off into the now bitter air, to Exfords Green and Annscroft. The flag was hardly moving in the still air.

The main road to Hook a Gate was quiet for a change and also to Nobold, where I turned through Meole Village and around the Crescent to Meole Brace and on home.

38.88 miles at 11.0 mph avg. Whilst I was glad to get out, that cold air really sapped the energy today and I hope warmer days will be back soon.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Blimey it was nippy this morning.
Five fearless cyclists stepped out early for 20+ miles of off-roading.

My Garmin said it was 19 F. One of the Wahoos said 16. Surely not that cold, but the canal had thick ice for hundreds of yards, our drinks froze, and the trees & hedges were encrusted with a hoar frost.
Eventually the freezing fog started to lift..,
1674431866720.png

My longest ride for months; exhausting but a fabulous ride.

theloafer

Legendary Member
snow and ice has gone ,still very chilly but thought i would make the effort. Just a quick trip into Darlington to check new address of a friend then bac via my fav track patches lane as i get to ride through a ford without fear of getting wet .. lol.. still trying to deicide if i like the improvements. 18 miles glad to be out .. https://www.strava.com/activities/8438657736

some one has been busy ..:okay:
P1010054.JPG

P1010056.JPG

P1010058.JPG

gavgav

Guru
I needed a ride after yet another rubbish day at work. The evening was clear and a bit milder than recently, but with a keen Westerly wind blowing.

I set out on my regular route to Dad’s, via Meole and Hook a Gate, to Annscroft. I turned East there, so enjoyed the tailwind through Exfords Green, to Dad’s. One annoyance when a horse lorry couldn’t be bothered to stop at a passing place and then HAD to begrudgingly stop on the narrow section just after, when they realised the alternative was a head on collision with a cyclist, so they got a mouthful from me.

Had half an hour chatting to Dad and then set back out to Gonsal and Condover. The lanes were beginning to get muddy and then on Lyons Lane, at the Boreton turn, I hit a mess of mud and stones, which has been getting worse and worse recently, to the point it’s now almost impassable on a bike. I could feel the back end almost go and because it’s farmers causing the mess, they seem to be immune from having to clean it up 🤷‍♂️ I’ve just reported it to the council and so I’ll expect a response by July.

The road to Betton Abbots was completely free of traffic, which was nice and seldom the case.

Arrived home with 14.99 miles on the clock (really should have rounded it up to 15!) at 12.0 mph avg

Top Bottom