Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Due to meet up with my club ride today, but timings were out so missed them !
Did manage to hook up with another club member though & we had a good ride out to Burton via Acton Turville.
We'd been blown along assisted by a 20mph tailwind so once we turned it was a 'character building' ride back to Pucklechurch were we went our seperate ways.
A good ride & good to have company to provide shelter against the wind !

https://www.strava.com/activities/261498672

Billy Wizz

Über Member
Saturday morning, early before the hustle n bustle.
It was like a taste of spring the very best of cycling weather the odd shower and no ice.
https://www.strava.com/activities/260822708
This bike is perfect.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
IMG-20150301-WA0000.jpg

Just a short 10 mile bimble, around the Marshes and along to the Tarka Inn, for morning coffee. Quick shake down run on the French bikes to make sure all is well prior to a vintage 'do' coming up soon.
Lovely morning for a ride, if a bit windy.

Last edited:

Billy Wizz

Über Member
Took "Big Red" out for another fettling ride around the lanes today after my recent refurb and a bit more tweaking. Indexing now sorted, and shifters repositioned further from the handlebar grips for more comfort. Most of the gear changing problems are now sorted, but still getting a curious problem on hills.

Unless I already have the chain on one of the biggest three rings on the cassette before I drop onto the granny ring, the gears jam and the rear derailleur bends all the way forward..... If you stop, get off, and lift the rear wheel off the ground, the rear wheel then spins backwards until the derailleur is back in its proper position! As far as I can guess, the new 9 speed chain must be getting stuck in the rear derailleur, and this can only be down to two possible things:
(1) misallignment of the new 9 speed cassette with the existing 8 speed crank set or
(2) incompatibility of the existing rear derailleur with a 9 speed chain.
Reckon it'll be going back to the shop for a bit more fixing yet, but it's going to be very nice when it's sorted.

As for the ride today, it was only 13 miles, and it was spoiled by a Gloucester City Running Club event on the lanes near Elmore. I was going against the flow, and they were all over the road. You pass one on the right, then the next on the left ... then the right again and another on the left. It was like a chase scene from a Bourne movie. Then by the time I came round for a second loop, it was all over and they were warming down. Just as I started to overtake three more runners, two of them suddenly lunged across the road and started back in the opposite direction..... at which point I discovered that my brakes work really well now. Back out on my Ridgeback tomorrow for another club ride.

Cheers, Donger.
Glad to hear the brakes are working well, i remember a crazy film called Death Race 2000, its amazing how the mind wanders when your having fun.

Dark46

Veteran
1st club ride with my new bike. I got myself a Orro Oxygen full carbon in the week. It certainly makes a change for people to admire my bike, from saying when are you getting a road bike? I got a great welcome apart from the top that I had on. It was a top of another local club. But if our club had their own tops then I would be wearing it.

From the usual meeting point we headed east to Nass lane and out towards Haresfield. Straight away if noticed the bike felt so easy to ride and that I wasn't at the at the tell end of the pelaton. It was obvious that @Donger was having problems as he wasn't up with me. He's usually my riding companion in the club.

From Haresfield where we found @Donger was having problems with his chain ring. Well we took our usual route into Stonehouse where we took a different route towards Frocester and going up the first real incline of the day I nearly overtook @gordyfinbar but he was having none of it lol.

At the bottom of Frocester Hill we went straight across where we lost Dean(another Eastgate rider) who had to be back early.

This was another lane that we have been along and this time we had to stop for @gordyfinbar whose chain decided to come apart. Luckily we found the missing links on the floor help my the sun.

At Cam we turned right to the A38 where we normally go straight across to Slimbridge, but today we turned left into a headwind down the A38.

After travelling against the headwind for a few miles we turned off into Berkeley. Once through Berkeley we were off to Sharpness Docks. It was here that Ollie decided to have a Richard Hammond moment on rails and go down heavy on the ground. Luckily rider and bike were undamaged and able to carry on.

We took to some roads that we really didn't normally gone down but as we were slightly lost and we had no choice.

We soon found ourselves in Slimbridge where we hung a right to the A38 and towards home with a slight tail wind. After hilltop we turned left towards Frampton and then to Saul where we stopped for a coffee.

While we were having a rest and a cuppa it decided to rain! We met a big Husky there which was more the size of a Bear! Not good as I had no waterproofs or anything. Big Jim lent me his lightweight waterproof jacket.

From Saul it was the usual trip back via Longney loop and back to Tesco.

So there we have it and 43 miles and a first averaging over 15 mph on a club ride.

Now the bike looks bloody filthy and needs a good clean.

Attachments

• IMG_20150301_110550.jpg
    IMG_20150301_110550.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20150301_124257.jpg
    IMG_20150301_124257.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20150301_124319.jpg
    IMG_20150301_124319.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Rustybucket

Veteran
My legs are now not working.

http://www.strava.com/activities/261557192

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Out to Wimpole Hall and back. Strong as Ox on the way out. When I turned for home a 20mph headwind all the way home came from nowhere:eek:

Helped a damsel in distress carrying her bike. The derailleur had exploded and completely jammed the chain. Luckily I had a chain tool on my multitool, so at least with the chain removed she could wheel it home.
Good of you to stop and help out!

We had that happen to a young Scottish rider on a training camp holiday in Spain. We took the derailleur off, and shortened the chain to turn his bike into a singlespeed so he could ride it back to the hotel.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Just three miles today but the best three miles of the year by far. Been off the bike for 19 days due to a thigh (quads) muscle problem causing a lot of pain. Not been able to walk much let alone ride, so it was a huge relief to get back in the saddle at long last and manage a short circuit of my village without any pain :wahhey:

image.jpg

The village green complete with a bit of thumb!

image.jpg

Then a quick walk around a woodland on the edge of the village where a new bridge has been put in over the stream. We planted bluebells last Autumn in there so I went to see how they're getting on and was pleased to see a few have just emerged hopefully to flower in a couple of months.

Massive relief to make it home OK. Now decision time about whether to attempt the 20 mile round trip commute tomorrow. I will of course- silly question really!

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Option 3: You are getting chain suck due to incompatibility of the new chain with a worn chainring. For me this was one of the signs that the last chainset on the knockabout bike was past its best.
You little beauty, Phil! We are not worthy. :notworthy: It's a good job you live in Shrewsbury, 'cos I might have kissed you right now!:eek:

I've just researched "chain suck", having never even heard of it before. Every single symptom fits. I have an old, and extremely worn chainset, and the concave wearing on the granny ring is particularly bad. I also have a new and quite tight chain. Also it occurs under strain on a hill on a muddy lane. The fact that I have just changed over to a 9 speed chain and it is an 8 speed chainset probably doesn't help either. Think I might treat myself to that nice Shimano Deore 9 speed crankset I spotted the other day. Could be the best £57 I ever spend.
Thanks again Phil. Good call.:bravo:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
You little beauty, Phil! We are not worthy. :notworthy: It's a good job you live in Shrewsbury, 'cos I might have kissed you right now!:eek:

I've just researched "chain suck", having never even heard of it before. Every single symptom fits. I have an old, and extremely worn chainset, and the concave wearing on the granny ring is particularly bad. I also have a new and quite tight chain. Also it occurs under strain on a hill on a muddy lane. The fact that I have just changed over to a 9 speed chain and it is an 8 speed chainset probably doesn't help either. Think I might treat myself to that nice Shimano Deore 9 speed crankset I spotted the other day. Could be the best £57 I ever spend.
Thanks again Phil. Good call.:bravo:
Glad to help.:thanks:

For everyones amusement the ride where I found the problem for myself is here :laugh:: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/your-ride-today-part-1.8938/post-2907406

contadino

Veteran
I think the bump in the number of miles I'm clocking up has started to take it's toll on my aging bike. The clicking of one pedal developed into a serious creak this morning, and I think maybe my rear hub or bb is worn too.

So tomorrow I'm off to the shop to see what's to be done.

I managed about 15 miles before heading home, but the forecast is good for this week so if I can get the bike fixed I should get some time out in a few days.

Another frustration is that I got my first winter cycling top a few weeks ago so I'm much more comfortable now.

Top Bottom