Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

56 miles the journey, Charlecote Garden Store Hampton lucy the destination. A ride of two halves today. Lovely bright breezy and very chilly morning, scenic route out through Baginton and down through Long itchington to Harbury and the farm road to take me through Chesterton and up over the M40 to Lighthorn, the village thats a bit of a challenge on a fixed, a steep descent into the village then a sharp climb out, and on through Wellesbourne, a sharp descent into the village saw me hitting 30 mph and around 150 rpm cadence, then onto to Hampton lucy. The man flue I had beginning of last month left me with low power and a slightly tight chest, I've also managed to pick up a minor shoulder injury, and though the ride out was a bit slow the shoulder was OK. My route back took me past Charlcote House then left and the climb up to the A46, a short section of the A road then a left to take me though to Norton Lindsey then across the Henley In Arden road and past Hatton Country World and the Honiley Boot and into Balsall Common to pick up the usual route home. My shoulder started to give me grief on the climb up to Norton Lindsey and gave me grief all the way home. The rain started riding into Balsall Common and continued most of the rest of the way home, I walked in the house like a drowned rat. The ride out was enjoyable but the ride home wasn't.

Charlecote Garden Store.jpg

20161106_115008.jpg

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
8.1 miles today in the bright sunshine, a beauty of a day for November around here.
64F 18C
Winds SE 10
Relative humidity 52%
Barometer 30.31
Fair, with a probability of a pork roast in the offing.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
After writing quite a long post about my ride(s) yesterday, the forum logged me out and dumped it..

So, lets try again.. Here's some photographs and a Strava link to prove I did it..

DSC_0578.jpg

The Ha-Ha looking towards Althorpe House

IMG_20161105_135740.jpg

And my Canyon CX holding up the wall a bit further round Althorpe House. I reckon the by this time I was being surveilled by MI6, MI5 and Interpol! :laugh:
Still, no shots were fired at me...

Once back home, I had a quick wash and brush up, got my old SS pub bike out of the shed and rode down to the Favell shopping centre to sort my mobile phone out and grab a bit of food.

IMG_20161105_153915.jpg

I ate my meat and potato pie on the way back home. Very pleasantly peppery it was too! :hungry:

A lovely couple of rides, one of 30 miles, t'other of 4 or 5 with a chilly headwind most of the way round the 30 miler!

https://www.strava.com/activities/766561938

:smile:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Todays ride posted today... A rare occurrence!

Late shift today, and looking at the forecast for the week, if I was going to get out and about, today would likely be the best day.

bsign.jpg

No boom was heard, but thanks for the warning!

cpost.jpg

I decided to do a circuit of the Washlands and back via Houghton, keeping off the roads as much as possible. The lane up through the village is quite pretty (pretty expensive as well!)

atyre.jpg

Back home via Billing Aquadrome and up the hill in Great Billing ready for some lunch and get ready for w*rk.. Booooo

12 miles in lovely autumn weather with a bit of breeze but warmer than expected.

https://www.strava.com/activities/768598014

:smile:

aI6dU6E9TRLOP6oIg44Kwu58xxb_KfPaVWFudlA-OBE8yq9LvoMpOQJsbLkm-YaFTK59cvLaUYTuzWoJms4AWE4YhgP9PIvVbT-tpniiGM204_yxZTHXe7BRPPnLtMoFOGalc7eMZ7P2U3m_-UjLgWWTU9fJWhdcPEy-20VhDiZ42WzaOknoXZiNL4qddH-9Vh9IOtvdlgZF-d4HySfeUcQx_AHrcJ2lQvi3NuvyfXTWYkcwOGIX0oC-nTrYHcuLZwJz63qzSW5Nmqfv0iOfSgR6tGnHwmoEutIq9c0kxN5berZYZQBcpcVLEqw5E2LFCiKlL2Xd4Z8j3eAgjgN9_XXXUhNXLVsUaxf8OgJ8C_fml4DM9rB73TD5J4r3Et8K9oqwj4i40uTmLq4FtIO4V0WYBXW9aWPyjbZZH41YO9wVWTc-kO3liJNnHp8hQvS9xzXa1q8a03FU7qq-5SYp5VXfExIEM204FN6uFtJvux7Acs-rUNDDH2_EtcQ7h2O-jUnxsheREoGZz4rEKn4xE7vrl1lT2pXZtHDXAADNniD_wI6JNaL2yF4XtU5YY8vlrsmcH_QYin_Fc9d6PHWg_2D7NS8nVFlhRhqUYXS-RhZpB9Z-=s777-no

mJaf0u_65PpVE82Bo84Rvvdd3UknKPnS5POyyOyGp_BXMMAoiW6ktZBk7Od0c7oPlFAQcXHFPqeVO2q5agRJBbNiocmsg0XI9ZzcMeYxubqP42arKRC1-xWM8rjPAQsWul23KlKToLUWCv3GyMlLxOydniJaQ2Hgun2Sj-lY3NURvlnXpI_1AU_sJ2QD1K8R30KO1tlpBVW6GmufkIEkkhSj_8btwMBYYmJwpshCWK5f8EfmNWf2Z8MZsSe20P9ri--j5F0idVjRAzj9ebxB5O4uaTRY6IzZJtniDKPnAymGX7EPYnHEWCwFqHPyfFFLxAsv9yK-8k528v5CGf6-eetbmVWp7FzizV4b4ESvxCf4g5BXaVSa4TaiSHsM8x4xWlfSb_6PYatsSWCg4_qgolh1CoiJ4v6xo3QZcidTRg847z9yud9MV3dSg6C68nmqjAUZ2GiA02cP_h1haiUDck1s4nkmGNMoYm19swH4t0VUeG0b1QZfaIYaBKYWyviSpkGU5Lx7fBpfsXUP-mx3Ctpve9Dq2IKEXVgCRkVME20YPBUH0SuAiidHXCjHowk6cgAxt52STNKhtmy2Mz80OjRAedb_90bT8psnNQR5dUxCTu35=s777-no

10 miles on the Mtn bike. Lovely day, paths still not too muddy but slightly marred by a) forgetting to start my Garmin b) going arse over tit on a drop off I shouldn't have attempted, with an audience c) puncturing and realizing my pump was still at home but it was at least a pleasant walk.

Old jon

Guru
That was cold indeed. Also short, merely twelve and a half miles. Stagger around a bit of Holbeck and the wind was vicious, or maybe I was soft. A tailwind through Hunslet and up the hill to John o’ Gaunt’s and feet and fingers were still frozen. That was the biggest climb of the intended ride, I was not going to warm up any more than I already was. Discretion then. Turn right for Rothwell, drop down and turn right along the side of Springhead Park. Oooh, a mini roundabout! There is new. Turn left and then right to head towards Carlton and Robin Hood.

At Robin Hood turn right on the Wakefield Road and ignominiously pedal past the jawbones, second time this year, back into Hunslet, ride up Leathley Road and I am a very short distance from home. Still f f f freezing. May be warmer next time.
Cold snap produces map,

07112016.jpg

gavgav

Guru
I'm up at the caravan for the final time this year, before we shut it down for the Winter. @Rickshaw Phil joined me over the weekend and our plan was to do a ride together yesterday. However the North Wales weather put pay to that, with heavy showers and northerly winds making yesterday a wash out.

I woke up this morning to yet more heavy showers, but the forecast was better from lunchtime onwards and so decided to don the waterproofs and head out anyway.

There was light rain as I left the campsite and joined the main road down to Barmouth, but it soon gave over and with the wind behind me I made speedy progress to the town. I dropped down to the seafront and it hammered it down all the way along the mile or so, which was pretty demoralising and I half contemplated turning back. I can be stubborn when I want to be and so continued on, across Barmouth bridge, with glorious autumnal views up the Mawddach estuary.
IMG_0014.JPG

I joined the Mawddach trail, which was surprisingly busy for a Monday morning with walkers and cyclists, but made good progress up to Dolgellau. I then turned left and joined new territory, with a first on the bike when using the subway under the main road. I had to walk the bike up the horrific steep slope to the road, and then had a short section on roads before using the shared path alongside the busy A470 for a short section.

I then turned onto fabulous quiet country lanes along NCN routes 82/27, following the valley shelf road which had a few bits of climbing, but lots of undulating sections and a real pleasure to ride.

My aim was Coed y Brenin and I arrived at the picnic site before the climb up, pausing to have my lunch. It started to rain again as I set off up the climb, but thankfully it only lasted a few minutes and that was the end of the wet stuff for the ride.

I did the loop around the green route in the forest, which was great fun, but took it out of my legs a bit and I was glad to join the downhill track back down to the picnic site. Whilst descending down the track I met an oil tanker coming up towards me! I was slightly taken aback and he flagged me down, asking if there was a cafe up ahead. I said no and explained he was heading up towards the mountain bike centre but on private roads that weren't open to traffic! He showed me his paperwork and asked if he was in the right place, and I deduced that he was looking for Arthog Hall..........which is about 15 miles away!!!:laugh::wacko:. I told him the best way to go, but first of all he had to try and turn the lorry around! No easy feat on that track. I left him to it and whilst having a comfort stop at the facilities lower down, he eventually appeared and headed in completely the wrong direction that I'd told him to go :thumbsdown:

I re-traced my steps back down to Dolgellau and along the Mawddach trail. It's flat along there but my legs were starting to ache and it felt a long slog to Barmouth. I turned North and into the wind here, making it a tough last 5 miles up the coast and back to the van.

Really enjoyed the ride, despite the early rain and passed a few milestones.

My longest ride of the year so far at 46.5 miles.
Passed the 1500 mile mark for the year.
Passed my total mileage for 2015, with the aim being to beat my highest ever in a year. It will be a tough ask, but hopefully if the weather plays ball then I will do it.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'm up at the caravan for the final time this year, before we shut it down for the Winter. @Rickshaw Phil joined me over the weekend and our plan was to do a ride together yesterday. However the North Wales weather put pay to that, with heavy showers and northerly winds making yesterday a wash out.

I woke up this morning to yet more heavy showers, but the forecast was better from lunchtime onwards and so decided to don the waterproofs and head out anyway.

There was light rain as I left the campsite and joined the main road down to Barmouth, but it soon gave over and with the wind behind me I made speedy progress to the town. I dropped down to the seafront and it hammered it down all the way along the mile or so, which was pretty demoralising and I half contemplated turning back. I can be stubborn when I want to be and so continued on, across Barmouth bridge, with glorious autumnal views up the Mawddach estuary.
View attachment 150410

I joined the Mawddach trail, which was surprisingly busy for a Monday morning with walkers and cyclists, but made good progress up to Dolgellau. I then turned left and joined new territory, with a first on the bike when using the subway under the main road. I had to walk the bike up the horrific steep slope to the road, and then had a short section on roads before using the shared path alongside the busy A470 for a short section.

I then turned onto fabulous quiet country lanes along NCN routes 82/27, following the valley shelf road which had a few bits of climbing, but lots of undulating sections and a real pleasure to ride.

My aim was Coed y Brenin and I arrived at the picnic site before the climb up, pausing to have my lunch. It started to rain again as I set off up the climb, but thankfully it only lasted a few minutes and that was the end of the wet stuff for the ride.

I did the loop around the green route in the forest, which was great fun, but took it out of my legs a bit and I was glad to join the downhill track back down to the picnic site. Whilst descending down the track I met an oil tanker coming up towards me! I was slightly taken aback and he flagged me down, asking if there was a cafe up ahead. I said no and explained he was heading up towards the mountain bike centre but on private roads that weren't open to traffic! He showed me his paperwork and asked if he was in the right place, and I deduced that he was looking for Arthog Hall..........which is about 15 miles away!!!:laugh::wacko:. I told him the best way to go, but first of all he had to try and turn the lorry around! No easy feat on that track. I left him to it and whilst having a comfort stop at the facilities lower down, he eventually appeared and headed in completely the wrong direction that I'd told him to go :thumbsdown:

I re-traced my steps back down to Dolgellau and along the Mawddach trail. It's flat along there but my legs were starting to ache and it felt a long slog to Barmouth. I turned North and into the wind here, making it a tough last 5 miles up the coast and back to the van.

Really enjoyed the ride, despite the early rain and passed a few milestones.

My longest ride of the year so far at 46.5 miles.
Passed the 1500 mile mark for the year.
Passed my total mileage for 2015, with the aim being to beat my highest ever in a year. It will be a tough ask, but hopefully if the weather plays ball then I will do it.
I'm glad you got out and had a good ride. Shame the weather & having to be back at work stopped me joining you for this one. The trip to Electric Mountain did make up for it though.:okay:

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Proper Baltic today but sunny .Up the A591 from Grasmere, then Dunmail Raise-one of those long draggy climbs that seems to go on.....and on.....and on...:sweat::training:. However when I got to the summit I was treated to a fantastic view of a snowy Skiddaw catching the afternoon sun. Then time to feel the need....the need for speed on the descent towards Wythburn Church and then a nice long level (mostly) bit of road northwards . Blencathra, Helvellyn and its neighbours were all dusted with snow as well. There was one utter numpty who decided to overtake me on a blind bend...a WVM but I'm sure that's just a coincidence;). Then down the west side of Thirlmere-a lovely stretch of road and spectacular autumn colours. There's also a new stretch of cycle path which allows you to avoid a good chunk of the A591....I enjoyed a stoating descent down the hill I'd slogged up earlier, then a left turn at Mill Bridge down a lane into Grasmere - and up Red Bank (just a man and his will to survive:training:). The last of the the afternoon sun was turning the fells on the other side of the valley a deep ruby red and when I'd despatched Red Bank (second time this week:dance:), I took the bridleway round the west side of Loughrigg Tarn, which gives you some great views towards the:dance: Langdale Pikes and the Bowfell group. After that , a nice fast ride through Langdale and along the Under Loughrigg road towards Rydal . There's a handy little lane on the right just after White Moss car park which is much quieter than the A591 and gives you better views too. It pops you out onto the main road just after the Wordsworth visitor centre. Then , after ignoring Tweedie's Bar earlier in the ride (eye of the tiger, eye of the tiger...) , I popped in for a quick couple of pints, including one of my favourites (Allendale American Brown Ale). Cheers!:cheers:

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Proper Baltic today but sunny .Up the A591 from Grasmere, then Dunmail Raise-one of those long draggy climbs that seems to go on.....and on.....and on...:sweat::training:. However when I got to the summit I was treated to a fantastic view of a snowy Skiddaw catching the afternoon sun. Then time to feel the need....the need for speed on the descent towards Wythburn Church and then a nice long level (mostly) bit of road northwards . Blencathra, Helvellyn and its neighbours were all dusted with snow as well. There was one utter numpty who decided to overtake me on a blind bend...a WVM but I'm sure that's just a coincidence;). Then down the west side of Thirlmere-a lovely stretch of road and spectacular autumn colours. There's also a new stretch of cycle path which allows you to avoid a good chunk of the A591....I enjoyed a stoating descent down the hill I'd slogged up earlier, then a left turn at Mill Bridge down a lane into Grasmere - and up Red Bank (just a man and his will to survive:training:). The last of the the afternoon sun was turning the fells on the other side of the valley a deep ruby red and when I'd despatched Red Bank (second time this week:dance:), I took the bridleway round the west side of Loughrigg Tarn, which gives ysome great views towards the:dance: Langdale Pikes and the Bowfell group. After that , a nice fast ride through Langdale and along the Under Loughrigg road towards Rydal . There's a handy little lane on the right just after White Moss car park which is much quieter than the A591 and gives you better views too. It pops you out onto the main road just after the Wordsworth visitor centre. Then , after ignoring Tweedie's Bar earlier in the ride (eye of the tiger, eye of the tiger...) , I popped in for a quick couple of pints, including one of my favourites (Allendale American Brown Ale). Cheers!:cheers:
Gorgeous around there isn't it! I must get back up there soon

Top Bottom