Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
It has warmed up! 12 Celsius. But I put too much kit on. Ah well better warm than cold. I headed off with Mrs 26 through the Castlemorton Lanes. She was going well this morning. At Bromsberrow Heath she went off to the community Cafe for some refreshments but I had a plan for more miles.

I took the route over the lump for Much Marcle and began the climb to the Marcle Hill ridge. The other side is lumpy but I made steady progress. As I approached the turn for the run along the River Wye a gang of motorcyclists came the other way. They had discovered this lovely spot too! The ride along the Wye to Hole in the Wall is always superb and now that the road surface has been renewed I was able to enjoy the sights rather than keep an eye peeled for potholes and gravel. The run ends with a very steep climb out of the valley to reach Ross on Wye where the one way system had me walking a few yards to the cafe.

The owner of the cafe recognised me from a previous visit which must have been a couple of years ago. She likes her cyclist customers as well as her regulars who were chatting away about this and that. Time to go so off I went for the lumpy run back by Upton Bishop and Kempley. It levels off after that for Dymock and Ryton but I decided I'd take in the hill over to Redmarley. Now it was a fairly standard run back using the Castlemorton lanes again but extending the ride by a couple of miles to return by Guarlford.

The initial grey start to the day was replaced by lovely blue skies. What wind there was didn't hinder too much and I do think it assisted my return a little. All good and one of my longer rides for a while. 62 smiles

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Broke through the 3,000 miles a year barrier today for the first time. Almost every target now met.
https://www.strava.com/routes/7149889
NB: For the attention of anyone who cycles in the South Glos area... if you are not already aware of the Farmers' Table Cafe at Tortworth, you might want to give it a try. It is open pretty much every day throughout the year, and is toasty warm inside, and offers a good selection of hot drinks and calorie-laden cakes. It is easily accessible from either Charfield or Falfield ... just take the turning signposted "Damery", and it is on your right almost straight away. I know a couple of people who have managed to cycle past it without seeing it, but just look out for where the road runs between these two gatehouses for the Tortworth Estate:
289 Tortworth.JPG

Before you get there, look right, and this is what the cafe looks like:
290 Farmer's Table Cafe.JPG

It gets the Donger seal of approval. Nice black coffee and chocolate flapjack today, sat in the corner by the Christmas tree, feeling toasty and looking out over views towards the Tyndale monument at North Nibley.
Came back down (thankfully not up) a short 13% hill down to a bridge across the millstream in the woods at Damery. I once did an audax in the opposite direction and it was carnage at this point, with dozens of cyclists gently strolling around the corner and over the bridge, only to be suddenly hit with a 13% climb as soon as they turned a blind corner! Trust me, you've never heard such a combination of swearing and grinding gear mechanisms!:
291Damery.JPG

After grinding my way back along the A38 with a welcome following wind, I stopped off to watch the sun set over the Severn at Epney (I never get bored of that):
292.JPG

Then it was lights-on time, and I sprinted the last 6.5 miles home in gathering darkness to complete a 42.2 mile ride, bringing up my 3,000 miles for the year. Woohoo! Cheers, Donger.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Broke through the 3,000 miles a year barrier today for the first time. Almost every target now met.
https://www.strava.com/routes/7149889
NB: For the attention of anyone who cycles in the South Glos area... if you are not already aware of the Farmers' Table Cafe at Tortworth, you might want to give it a try. It is open pretty much every day throughout the year, and is toasty warm inside, and offers a good selection of hot drinks and calorie-laden cakes. It is easily accessible from either Charfield or Falfield ... just take the turning signposted "Damery", and it is on your right almost straight away. I know a couple of people who have managed to cycle past it without seeing it, but just look out for where the road runs between these two gatehouses for the Tortworth Estate:
View attachment 153718
Before you get there, look right, and this is what the cafe looks like:
View attachment 153719
It gets the Donger seal of approval. Nice black coffee and chocolate flapjack today, sat in the corner by the Christmas tree, feeling toasty and looking out over views towards the Tyndale monument at North Nibley.
Came back down (thankfully not up) a short 13% hill down to a bridge across the millstream in the woods at Damery. I once did an audax in the opposite direction and it was carnage at this point, with dozens of cyclists gently strolling around the corner and over the bridge, only to be suddenly hit with a 13% climb as soon as they turned a blind corner! Trust me, you've never heard such a combination of swearing and grinding gear mechanisms!:
View attachment 153720
After grinding my way back along the A38 with a welcome following wind, I stopped off to watch the sun set over the Severn at Epney (I never get bored of that):
View attachment 153724
Then it was lights-on time, and I sprinted the last 6.5 miles home in gathering darkness to complete a 42.2 mile ride, bringing up my 3,000 miles for the year. Woohoo! Cheers, Donger.

Well done donger :notworthy:

13 rider

Guru
After a wasted morning waiting for a courtesy car delivered between 9 and 2 what wrong with these people don't they realise I've a bike ride to plan . Car was dropped off at 12 so after rescuing my hybrid from my mates garage where it was abandoned due to a puncture on last night commute . It is possible to squeeze a hybrid into a Kia piccanto but only just .Out with the bike in my spare hour so took my normal hour route of Newtown Linford up Pollybotts lane Markfield and Thornton and home a 14 mile loop with quite a bit of climbing . Lovely ride in nice mild conditions made a nice changed to be in fingerless mitts again . Back home puncture repaired on the hybrid and now feet up and coffee and cake

Last edited:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Pete M fancied an outing so we met in Upton with Pershore as the call. So we took the standard run out to Eckington to loop around by Great Comberton with the final lump to conquer for the cafe stop. My legs were complaining along the way but I ignored them. What do they know anyway?

We spent well over an hour in the cafe chatting before we headed back by the Abbey and onto Rebecca Road. There's a lane that peels off along there which I very rarely ride so on a whim we turned that way. At Wadborough Pete was keen to take the loop around by Abbotswood and Stonehall Common to complete the loop on Kinnersley Bank. Upton followed soon after where Pete headed back to his car and I took the Brotheridge Green route home.

The early rain this morning disappeared in time and despite some hindering wind the day turned out lovely with blue skies and a low sun. Lovely winter's day for sure. 43 smiles today

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
After having missed November, as well as half of October, I was desperate to get out on a ride. A bit nervous about the state of the towpath as well. So having got dressed up, out the back door and ... oh no it's raining! Well it was more of a fine spray really so after considering whether to wear a waterproof (I decided not to, fortunately) I went out.

I've a new toy this ride, one of those video cameras that Dyas were selling off cheap. Only problem is that with the bars I have there's not much room left and the camera is at a bit of an angle. Luckily for you, I've no video today, just some stills edited from video frames.

A really dull day, maybe I should have turned my lights on!

1.jpg

I thought it wisest to stop for this guy, he had panniers front and back as well as a trailer, it looked like hard work.

2.jpg

Through the bridge and a quick stop was needed! The cutting of trees on the other bank made my bell useless.

3.jpg

I thought this young lady was on a return leg, as I'd seen someone up ahead of me for a while. It'd not been a good day for riding fast.

4a.jpg

Having had enough of the canal I thought I'd do my normal thing of riding along Pix Farm Lane, only to be greeted by this sign. But there was a guy in a lorry at the end of the road and he said they were only patching and I'd be OK. It'll be nice to ride down there when they've finished.

5.jpg

So I had fun, dodging the vehicles and the patches.

6.jpg

Here I decided discretion was the better part of valour, and slowed down to let him pass.

7.jpg

What used to be the bete noir of this route, the hump back canal bridge. I think I've mastered it this time, until the next.

8.jpg

I hadn't noticed this house on the way out. I assume it's what they call extensive renovations. I hope the neighbours are happy.
9.JPG

Just 6.9 miles max 15 avg 6.5 mph. Year to date, 419.1 miles

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Electronic gremlins my nether regions! I blamed them for the lack of a video on Wednesday. Silly old man flat battery it was. Still, only a video.

Today started like I had drunk some beer last night. So I had. After 29.1 damp miles I can happily report the cobwebs have gone. They obviously ride faster than I do.

The inspection of Holbeck was done, out along Great Wilson Street, Crown Point Road and over the river. A really useful tailwind up to the clock at Oakwood, which wind seemed to vanish on the next hill up to and across the Ring Road. Along the A 58 until the left turn to Shadwell, pleasant bit of road, once in the village its left again and along to Slaid Hill. It is a while since I rode along Wike Ridge, so turn right and start swooping. A total fun road in this direction, the first two descents on the video show my idea of fun.

It does feel like a long way up through East Keswick, from there to Collingham is a rest for the legs and then like a fool I turned right to go UP Jewitt Lane, turning right again at the top and eventually reaching East Rigton. The roads were muddy, but the bike was already filthy. Might clean it tomorrow. On to Thorner, down Milner Lane, the last bit of the video, the alternating drag through Sandhills, legs definitely feeling it, turn right on Skeltons Lane and across Coal Road, Red Hall Lane, the A 58 and the quick whizz home. Totally great.
Garmin map drawing,

09122016.jpg

gavgav

Guru
Finished work at lunchtime, as I have my cricket club dinner this evening, so with a few hours to kill I got out for a ride.

Ridiculously mild, to the point where I actually wished I'd worn shorts! Also very windy and that made it tough going to Betton, Condover, Ryton and Longnor, where I finally turned out of the headwind! The lanes from Ryton to Longnor are a complete mud bath, from the farm traffic and so the bike became a mess along there.

From Longnor I took the road to Frodesley, Acton Burnell, Pitchford and Cantlop, before completing the loop at Betton and back home.

19.3 miles

galaxy

Veteran
After having missed November, as well as half of October, I was desperate to get out on a ride. A bit nervous about the state of the towpath as well. So having got dressed up, out the back door and ... oh no it's raining! Well it was more of a fine spray really so after considering whether to wear a waterproof (I decided not to, fortunately) I went out.

I've a new toy this ride, one of those video cameras that Dyas were selling off cheap. Only problem is that with the bars I have there's not much room left and the camera is at a bit of an angle. Luckily for you, I've no video today, just some stills edited from video frames.

A really dull day, maybe I should have turned my lights on!

View attachment 153817

I thought it wisest to stop for this guy, he had panniers front and back as well as a trailer, it looked like hard work.

View attachment 153818

Through the bridge and a quick stop was needed! The cutting of trees on the other bank made my bell useless.

View attachment 153819

I thought this young lady was on a return leg, as I'd seen someone up ahead of me for a while. It'd not been a good day for riding fast.

View attachment 153821

Having had enough of the canal I thought I'd do my normal thing of riding along Pix Farm Lane, only to be greeted by this sign. But there was a guy in a lorry at the end of the road and he said they were only patching and I'd be OK. It'll be nice to ride down there when they've finished.

View attachment 153822

So I had fun, dodging the vehicles and the patches.

View attachment 153823

Here I decided discretion was the better part of valour, and slowed down to let him pass.

View attachment 153824

What used to be the bete noir of this route, the hump back canal bridge. I think I've mastered it this time, until the next.

View attachment 153825

I hadn't noticed this house on the way out. I assume it's what they call extensive renovations. I hope the neighbours are happy.
View attachment 153826

Just 6.9 miles max 15 avg 6.5 mph. Year to date, 419.1 miles
Which Canal is that, i love Canals

13 rider

Guru
Just updating on my progress since my fractured shoulder

I have now ditched the sling and willl start physio soon. Have not yet started on the turbo, but can see that before too long.

I had been planning on arranging n+1, have not started on this yet (want a bike fit) .
However I am now driving short distances. Just have to take it easy yet

Bob
Glad your on the mend @Stonechat looking forward to some ride reports soon
Today's ride was squeezed into a busy day . Had to take mum food shopping this morning just about my least favourite activity so after lunch it was out with the bike in very dull conditions . About a spare hour so rode out to Quorn via Cropston ,Rothley ,Cossington and Mountsorrel . Got held up in Mountsorrel as the traffic was really bad with parked cars everywhere round Stonehurst farm where all the kiddies where visiting Santa . Passing over Quorn station I watched the steam Santa special pull in also with a Santa on board so one of the Santas is an imposter :santa::ph34r: On through Woodhouse ,Swithland round the back of the park and finally up Warren hill and Newtown Linford and home .20.9 miles in the bag at a nice speed of 17.3 mph got a bit wet as it drizzled :rain:most of the way round but not too bad . I must remember not to wear white socks in damp conditions there a bit grey now:surrender:

Last edited:
Top Bottom