Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I may be something of a Luddite, but I've discovered a new-fangled contraption called a photocopier that is most useful on occasions. It's the future.

There's a lot to be said for carrying the relevant page from a road atlas on longer rides.

It gives a better overall view than a Garmin.

Handy if you want to reroute as @Donger did to get a direct route home.

I did something similar on my recent York 105 mile ride when I wanted to shorten it by heading for a railway station.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My ride today was a rerun of my banks of the Wear circuit I did on Monday.

There wouldn't have been much new to say, were it not for progress with Sunderland's new bridge which now has its main support in place.

This is what it looked like earlier in the week:

P1000405.JPG

And this is how it looked today:

Bridge support.JPG

Which also answers my earlier question about the need for such a tall crane.

The ride was also notable for the mess I nearly made of fixing a puncture.

The new tube went on OK and stayed inflated, but the tyre wasn't sitting properly on one part of the rim.

It's only a short ride so I decided to trundle home steadily and sort out the tyre in the house.

Turns out that before refitting the tyre I had managed to drop one of the valve locking rings into the well of the rim.

The ring had become wedged in the rim/under the bead of the tyre, preventing the tyre from seating properly at that point.

Which is not what I was expecting to find, but at least there's no harm done to tube, tyre or wheel.

Gareth C

Veteran
Just out of curiosity are those tank traps from ww 2?

Shaun

Shaun, yes they are. There are loads up the Northumberland coast, plus the odd machine gun bunker. There are even some on the County Durham coast where the odd valley might have allowed a landing to get established.

There's a blog by "coastkid" or "coast rider" (am out-and-about, so can't check). He mentions a bit about them on his blog. I think he even has a picture of a couple painted up as dice!

Last edited:

galaxy

Veteran
My ride today was a rerun of my banks of the Wear circuit I did on Monday.

There wouldn't have been much new to say, were it not for progress with Sunderland's new bridge which now has its main support in place.

This is what it looked like earlier in the week:

View attachment 337326

And this is how it looked today:

View attachment 337325

Which also answers my earlier question about the need for such a tall crane.

The ride was also notable for the mess I nearly made of fixing a puncture.

The new tube went on OK and stayed inflated, but the tyre wasn't sitting properly on one part of the rim.

It's only a short ride so I decided to trundle home steadily and sort out the tyre in the house.

Turns out that before refitting the tyre I had managed to drop one of the valve locking rings into the well of the rim.

The ring had become wedged in the rim/under the bead of the tyre, preventing the tyre from seating properly at that point.

Which is not what I was expecting to find, but at least there's no harm done to tube, tyre or wheel.
Where is it you actually live, i gre up and found my passion for cycling in the North East back in the mid 80`s

Katherine

Guru
Yesterday's ride. Six of us set off in the bitter strong wind, from Swinton for the A ride to Rivington and it wasn't my turn to lead which was nice. One of the riders turned round after half an hour because he was too cold for our pace, he should have gone on the faster ride but didn't want to be out too long. Then when we were nearly at the cafe, the leader stopped because he had a migraine starting and had forgotten his medication. Of the rest of us, I was the only one who had been there before!
A warm welcome, a wonderful fire, hot coffee and toasted tea cake were just what we needed. On the way back, which luckily I could remember, it was even harder. Once I'd got them onto the A6, where it was an easy straight forward route home, I sent the guys on, because I was struggling to keep up against the wind and I didn't want them getting cold waiting for me. I made it but it was sleeting a bit as well by the time I arrived home.
Very glad to have been out in the "fresh air" though! And better for the exercise. We even had a bit of sunshine at times but in the speed of the wind, it didn't last long.

Spartak