Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After a three week lay off from the bike following another bout of gastroenteritis :sad: I managed to get out on Friday for an hour but that was just a pootle around and was simply about just getting back on the bike - https://www.strava.com/activities/1083416021

I was determined to get out tonight and put some more miles in although I was still not firing on all cylinders. I wanted to get a 20 mile ride in and the weather despite being blustery was lovely and the temperature was perfect - lots of other cyclists out tonight making the same decision!

Out of the village and staying on the A629 into a noticeable headwind I then turned off and headed through Upper Debby and then across the Barnsley Road to take me on the rollercoaster lanes past Deffer Wood and then a right through High Hoyland and dropping down towards DArton before a right turn and the steady climb into Cawthorne.

Once through Cawthorne a short spell on the main Barnsley Road before I turned off and took the steady but noticeable climb upto Gunthwhaite Hall and back into Upper Denby.

By now the shaking roads in my neck of the woods had discovered a rattling headset so this was remedied with a few turns of the allen key and (hopefully) all sorted!

Heading out of Upper Debby a nobber passenger in a yellow Vauxhall Adam shouted W*nker at me as they drove past - goodness knows why but I did shout something less than polite back to him about him being a daffodil to match the colour of the car!

I decided I wasn't going to do the extended ride that I had as an option so at the main road I took a left then right and rode across the reservoir dam with the midges out in force - literally clouds of the little sods and a definite mouth clamped shut to stop involuntary protein supplements!

Up the hill that is Horn Lane than onto Broadstones Road back towards home and the usual descent into the village before a shower and relaxing sit down!

Looking at Strava I'd managed a few PRs so more than happy with those as I certainly wasn't pushing it - hopefully that means my base fitness is OK and just need to get some more miles in (especially as I am joining a few fellow CCers on Saturday to do the York Hull York Century ride!)

22.3 with 1745ft of climbing

https://www.strava.com/activities/1090133440
https://www.relive.cc/view/1090133440
View attachment 362947
That's a fair set of 'rolling roads', & a damned good ride!!

Week off so out on bike Mon / Tues . Work / life balance nuts again as this my first ride since Mayish. Shelved the new bike idea as not getting out on old one due to long hours so to have a new one in shed and not getting out would annoy. Bloody hard going but at least this start / stop thing is better than i managed last year. Keep safe boys and girls.....Mike.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Yesterday's was a memorable ride, but too much post-ride cider meant I couldn't do a coherent write-up last night.

A little while ago I challenged my best old cycling friend to reprise our 110-mile ride of 30 years ago. I created a 111-miles route, heading down from Bristol to the Somerset Levels and the challenge was accepted. What Jenny didn't tell me was that she's hardly ridden at all this year, though she's recently completed a mountain marathon running challenge so she's far from unfit. I've been unwell, so this was never going to be quick.

We made slow, chatty progress out of Bristol, over the Clifton Suspension Bridge and through the Ashton Court Estate. We navigated the lanes around the end of the Mendips and onto the Levels. Having disdained all oportunities to curtail the ride, we reached to summit of the Polden Mountains at around 45 miles, now pretty much committed to 100 miles at least. I'd been noticing uneven rolling in my rear wheel for a few miles, and just when I was thinking I must check it - Bang!

Cool heads were called for, and drawing on some good advice from CycleChat, we borrowed a pair of scissors from a very helpful gentleman in a nearby house and cut a section of plastic from the lid of an ice cream tub/impromptu lunch box that I was carrying. I transferred the stricken tyre to the front so that it wouldn't need too much pressure. All set to go, disaster was narrowly averted when I started without re-attaching my cantilever brake bridges.

Our helpful gentlemen allowed us to clean ourselves up - I think he'd have given us a lot more help, including a lift, had it been necessary but fortunately it wasn't. Our immediate target was SJS Cycles in Bridgwater, which by another stroke of good luck is on the Westonzoyland road on which we'd approached the town. They also couldn't have been more helpful, inviting both of us and our bikes inside. Jenny went to find a bakery and than chatted with a couple who were collecting their new tandem while I put my bike back into shape. She said that she and her husband are looking for a new tandem. "This isn't my husband, by the way". Not what what anyone was expecting.

A slightly simplified return meant we finished on 101.44 miles. The route is below:

Jul19map.jpg

As an experienced but recently inactive cyclist, Jenny found that saddle discomfort was the main limiting factor, and she was interested to hear how completely a Brooks saddle has transformed my cycling experience in the last couple of years. So plenty of food for thought from yesterday's fun and games.

Nothing special today - an eight mile utility ride to Littleport this morning to run an errand. I swear I'd slept through summer as it was absolutely foul out. Felt like late September; cold, rainy and blowing a hoolie. Had to rustle up a rain jacket and a pair of tights from the bottom of the cupboard.

Felt good to get out despite the murderous crosswind along Black Bank, which led to the odd rubber underwear moment in some of the stronger gusts. Fortunately there wasn't much in the way of traffic so no harm done. Met a friendly jogger on the way out and met him again on the way home - to much hilarity from both of of us.

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
IMG_1668.JPG
Today was around 40 km , rained towards the end which was very refreshing as has been fairly humid of late.
I keep mainly to country lanes and worry most about cars getting too close, no such worries today, but finishing along seafront young lad opened his car door just missing me.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Some utility riding today. One to pick up some brake pads for @gavgav's bike, which turned into a longer ride than planned as the nearest shop didn't have the ones I needed. I made it into a loop through The Quarry on the way home which was nice. Out again in the afternoon to get my hair cut then finished off with a test ride of Gav's bike which rides well after servicing.:okay:

No speedometers attached so I don't know the mileage. Probably about 12 miles in all.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
dowa
IMG_1131.JPG
IMG_1133.JPG
IMG_1135.JPG

I managed to miss all the rain on my morning commute but it poured it down until the afternoon, I wasn't hopeful for a decent ride after work but come 5pm it was lovely. 28 miles again with a photo stop by the hay bales on the old Acaster Malbis airfield and by the River Ouse in Acaster Malbis village. My first ride perched on a Brooks saddle, I'm suitably impressed, really comfortable straight out of the box. I'll give it a longer test over the weekend.

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
My 3rd short evening ride of the week. Noticeably cooler than the first 2, as I went through Sutton Farm, through the roadworks for the first time in a month and they don't seem to have moved on at all :wacko:

With the strong wind behind me I made quick progress along the inner ring road to Heathgates and then through Sundorne and along the old canal path to Uffington.

Back out on the road to Upton Magna, and as I hit the descent past the farm I shifted to the big ring......and the chain came off :cursing:. Coasted into a pull in and managed to get it back on, managing to clean the oil off my hands in some shape or form. As I glanced to my right, I could see heavy rain sheeting down towards Church Stretton and hoped it was going in the opposite direction.........

Passed through Upton Magna and turned onto the Pelham Rd, where spots of rain started to fall and the wind blew up into an absolute hoolie. As I turned onto the road to Atcham it absolutely tipped it down and with a headwind was utterly horrible for about 5 minutes and I was cold and soaked.

Crossed Atcham bridge and up Chilton Lane, where the rain stopped and sun came out, which dried me off a bit for the rest of the trip through Betton and home.

15.3 miles at 13.3mph avg

I'd had a chat with my buddy, Gail last night, as she's in the same running club, & a fairly decent 'club level' triathlete, in 'WTC', & she was on day-off today, & wanted a ride

All illustrative photographs were taken previously

We left her house, circa 10:30
Out towards jct 31/M62
Past 'DiggerLand'
Up to Whitwood roundabout - where there was the 'Mining College'
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1048153

Into Castleford, over the level-crossing
Down to the river, passing the site of the Roman fording point, which has a few nice tile murals
16806885_10210813651529639_4362657926495794593_n.jpg

Over the river bridge, onto Barnsdale Road (which is a Roman road, that originates, from leaving the Great North Road, at Barnsdale Bar (between Doncaster & Ferrybridge)
High Water. 3.JPG 12195817_10206872564404924_1587828838958401174_n.jpg
Up 'Mary Pannall Hill', turning right at the top, onto Back Newton Lane, towards Ledsham
Once in Ledsham, a left-turn, opposite 'The Chequers', up New Road, towards the (old) A1
Rides. Snow. 2.JPG

Oddly it only had a '6 day licence' for a LOT of years - story here; http://thechequersinn.com/history/

Ledsham also has a 1200 year old Church (in parts....)
North Yorkshire Scenes. Ledsham. All Saints  Church. 1.JPG North Yorkshire Scenes. Ledsham. All Saints Church. 2.JPG

From the bridge over the 'new' A1, just before Newthorpe, the 'twin towers' of York Minster can be seen in the distance, if it's clear enough
Not sure how many miles it is?

A call at http://www.squires-cafe.co.uk/index.asp for a chat & 'brew'
Not many bikers there, maybe 15?

Back over Gorse Lane, on a quiet, but windswept road
Through Lumby, & back to Fairburn, crossing the 'old' A1 (now 'singled')
This was the pre dual-carriageway 'GNR'! (the dual-carriageway, a lot will remember is to right of frame)
Fairburn. 1.JPG
Along Newton Lane, past the Ings, standing water due to mining subsidence, & the Highland Cattle
Back into Castleford, & back home

Out this way, joining the route at about 1/2 mile mark; https://gb.mapometer.com/running/route_1710389.html

Back this way, leaving it at the 1/2mile mark, to Gails street; https://gb.mapometer.com/running/route_1628158.html

As an aside;
Gail & myself, at 'Ovenden Fell-Race', back in 2013
'G' in pink, & her cruel task-master, with his 'winter' beard
2013. Ovenden Fell-Race. 7.JPG

Last edited:
Sunday 15th
(sorry, if a belated report)
All illustrative photographs were taken previously

Out with a few of Wakefield Triathlon Club (mixed male/female group)
Sarah was leading, they graded this as a 'level 2'
Level 4 is a serious 'full bore'/'no mercy' ride (I've ridden hilly 'level 3' with no worries. but not tried a '4')

From Pugneys - near jct39/M1, WTC use it for their swim training/run laps of lake
http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/residents/sport-and-leisure/pugneys-watersports-centre-and-country-park
Down towards the m/way, then off at the first roundabout, left into Crigglestone
Up Bolton Wife Hill (a sharp little 1-in-5 zig-zag)
It made my wife (then G/F) walk back in the early 90's
ffvjjd5.jpg

The long drag, up to the top of Woolley Edge (overlooking the service station on M1)
Along the top of the valley, towards Staincross Common, then down through a new housing estate, built where Woolley Colliery used to be
Dropping down through the estate, then into Darton, crossing over the A637, into Kexbrough
And a long, very gradual, climb to High Hoyland
Through the village, & the lane towards Clayton West
At the next junction, as we stopped to regroup, & they headed towards a café at Shelley, I split off, to head in a different direction
Down into Clayton West, under the railway bridge, now only carrying the http://www.kirkleeslightrailway.com/

A left turn, up Kiln Lane, towards Emley, passing very close to the TV mast that is in the village
Out to meet the A642 (Wakefield - Huddersfield road)
Towards Kirkheaton, with a turn to Upper Hopton, past the gorgeous Hopton Hall
History; http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/271431
156519_3601022636497_1537477243_n.jpg

Dropping down the wonderfully named Granny Lane, towards Ravensthorpe

Back over the River Calder again, to pass the Station, then towards Thornhill Lees
A gradual climb, & twisty section, before dropping to Horbury Bridge (passing the local branch of the 'Go Outdoors' chain)
Then, a steady ride back along the A642, into Wakefield, over Chantry Bridge (site of one of only 4 remaining 'bridge chapels' in the country)

Chantry Chapel. 1.jpg Chantry Chapel. 5.JPG Chantry Chapel. 13.JPG

Back home, via Doncaster Road, & through Heath; a 'conservation village', with a overwhelming percentage of buildings in the vicinity being listed!
http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/england/warmfield-cum-heath-wakefield#.WXIRToWcHIU
DSCF3001.JPG DSCF3002.JPG DSCF3004.JPG DSCF3006.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF3007.JPG
    DSCF3007.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Went out this morning

Went on the familiar route up the Red Road to Heatherside area of Camberley/Frimley, that is an uphill most of the way from ChobhamChobham with steepest part at the end (it's not that bad 10% max but feels worse after being mostly uphill for a few miles), turning left down to Deepcut, mostly downhill, and left towards Pirbright.

At some point I developed a bit of a navigation issue
I use a Garmin 820, and plan the routes on Strava, somewhere they get slightly cocked up. the route was not exactly what I planned.
Somehow it is not right, I may have to use Garmin to Plan the routes in future, though don't like to as it has taken me down canal paths etc in the past.

So from this point improvised up the hill and across Chobham Common.
Through Virginia Water and back to Staines

37.2 miles @ 16.9 mph, a goodish speed for me, though I was pushing it a bit.
1152 feet climbed, so reasonably hilly for this area

https://www.strava.com/activities/1094190114
Have been trying a bit to see if I can up my speeds a bit

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
A proper morning at last. Real drizzle, just what July is for. Or, anyway, what it usually does. I seem to have been a bit obsessed with the uphill stuff just lately, and today was no exception, though it is not in the 100 feet per mile category. Maybe I should try some hillier stuff. I shall ponder upon that one.

The bottom of Dewsbury Road still leads onto Jack Lane, a couple of right turns and a left, chosen properly, and Office Lock with towpath magically appears underwheel. Sort of quiet this morning, so a brisk pedal along to Viaduct Road followed by Cardigan Road and the climb to the Ring Road from Headingley. Once across that absolutely enormous roundabout and still on the A 660 the bike decided to bear left, leaving me to pedal up Otley Old Road, past the water tower and all the way along to the A 658. Which should have rewarded me with a swift descent of the whole of Pool Bank. One of those slow vehicles emblazoned with the word ‘Police’ stuck resolutely at 32 mph all the weary way down. Yes I could have overtaken the thing, just did not fancy the boring post enjoyment lecture. The enforced wait did provide the promised good thing, turn left after crossing the Wharfe and ride the rather nice road towards Leathley . . . but look at the video.

Up the hill and past Farnley Hall, the breeze was fairly in my face, but it did not hinder me as the descent to Otley was pretty quick. Through the town, market day again, and the good old A 660 towards Leeds. I was halfway up the climb and realised that the Chevin would have provided a few feet more elevation. No I did not turn around, although it was a close thing. All the way to Headingley, as ever, and the drop down to Kirkstall and return to Water Lane along the towpath. Did I tell you, the bit of Hunslet I rode through included Leathley Road? Must have been a different Leathley, way too grimy and no River Washburn to cross. Thirty one point nine miles, door to door, and just shy of 1800 feet. It felt like more, it always does. But it never removes the grin.

The map has two Farnleys on it, the one at the top is much more interesting . . .

21072017.jpg

Simontm

Veteran
Just a quick one out to see how the legs were. Not bad surprisingly but there was a bugger of a headwind to deal with at points. So a spin over to Epsom, Ashtead, Leatherhead onto Lower Road where a driver cut me up going into Greater Bookham forcing me to slam the brakes on else be driven into the kerb and then she spent the next few hundred yards signalling left and braking. Having had enough I overtook her only for her to speed up, overtake me back then finally find the left turn that her indicator had been indicating for the last half mile :rolleyes:.
Effingham common, Downside, Portsmouth Rd into Esher where I took great delight in overtaking all the cars down to the Scilly Isles then home.^_^
24m, 1:33
FullSizeRender.jpg

Top Bottom