Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Impromptu 24 miler today, looping out through Whitminster, Eastington and Frampton. A nice little pootle on what I now have to call my "old" bike. Thought I'd alternate it a bit this year to stop either of them from seizing up. Wasn't going to do a ride at all, but the mild weather intermission made it just too tempting. The Severn was up close to its banks today, and it looked like it had recently been over the top onto the flood meadows near Frampton. A nice ride. The impromptu ones often are.
Cheers, Donger.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Had a nice 43 mile ride with a mate, even included a coffee and sausage roll stop in Ware, a loop of Hertford across to Ware then over to Epping, a couple of numpties in cars but nothing major, it did not spoil the ride one really had us laughing, a passenger hanging out the window screaming obscenities. but thats life, roads and weather great, but no beer at the end, Tom's doing a dry January, that won't last:laugh::laugh::laugh:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1350011733#kudos

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It was in Hebden bridge, not Hollingworth Lake (the cafe there is not much to write home about)
There are 2 cafes - the one round the back of the lake, and another one at the visitor centre down the little road to the side of it.

===============

As for [My] Ride Today ... I wanted to pick up a copy of the Metro so I could do the cryptic crossword while having my afternoon coffee, and I also wanted to buy some strawberries. It would have taken me 20 minutes to walk the short way to the shops and station but I decided instead to go the longer way on my singlespeed bike. It is still only a 3 km loop, but it includes 3 little climbs which are enough to get my pulse rate up on singlespeed. It still only takes about 20 minutes including the stops and it is not very exciting, but it beats spending 20 minutes on the turbo trainer.

I set off and made my way towards the start of the first climb. It isn't that tough a climb on a normal bike but it takes a bit of 'grunt' in my 52/19 S/S gear so I was standing on the pedals and trying to get some speed up. The road bears right up the hill, and there is a junction to the left.

I saw a minibus coming down towards me on the hill and a saloon car accelerating up behind it. I could see the logo of a local taxi company on the car's nearside door.

There was something in the way that the taxi driver had raced up to the bus that set my nerves-a-jangling. It wasn't a safe place for him to overtake the bus because the road is bending under a railway bridge at that point, it is narrow, and there were parked vehicles along the road either side of the bridge. Still, it isn't safe to assume that drivers only make safe choices. Red alert. Fingers on brake levers ...

The minibus is about to pass on my right. I can now see the taxi driver peering out towards me from behind the bus. He is not signalling, but I don't believe that he is going to stay behind the bus. He has the blank stare of someone looking into the distance. He is looking in my direction but he just isn't seeing me. He revs his engine. He is going to go for it. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! :eek:

Will it be an overtake or a right turn? Make a decision. NOW! If he is overtaking, I need to dive left to get out of his way. NO - HE IS TURNING ACROSS ME!!! I brake hard and dive right. He launches into a right turn and finally sees me as I swerve away from him. He swerves further right and misses me by about 50 cm!

The driver has a look of total shock on his face and I hear him shout ...

... Yeah, you got it - "SMIDSY!"***

Er, I had worked that one out for myself! :okay:

Massively adrenalised, I sprinted up the hill like Chris Froome after 10 puffs on an asthma inhaler ... :whistle:

*** S-orry M-ate I D-idn't S-ee Y-ou

Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
There are 2 cafes - the one round the back of the lake, and another one at the visitor centre down the little road to the side of it.

===============

As for [My] Ride Today ... I wanted to pick up a copy of the Metro so I could do the cryptic crossword while having my afternoon coffee, and I also wanted to buy some strawberries. It would have taken me 20 minutes to walk the short way to the shops and station but I decided instead to go the longer way on my singlespeed bike. It is still only a 3 km loop, but it includes 3 little climbs which are enough to get my pulse rate up on singlespeed. It still only takes about 20 minutes including the stops and it is not very exciting, but it beats spending 20 minutes on the turbo trainer.

I set off and made my way towards the start of the first climb. It isn't that tough a climb on a normal bike but it takes a bit of 'grunt' in my 52/19 S/S gear so I was standing on the pedals and trying to get some speed up. The road bears right up the hill, and there is a junction to the left.

I saw a minibus coming down towards me on the hill and a saloon car accelerating up behind it. I could see the logo of a local taxi company on the car's nearside door.

There was something in the way that the taxi driver had raced up to the bus that set my nerves-a-jangling. It wasn't a safe place for him to overtake the bus because the road is bending under a railway bridge at that point, it is narrow, and there were parked vehicles along the road either side of the bridge. Still, it isn't safe to assume that drivers only make safe choices. Red alert. Fingers on brake levers ...

The minibus is about to pass on my right. I can now see the taxi driver peering out towards me from behind the bus. He is not signalling, but I don't believe that he is going to stay behind the bus. He has the blank stare of someone looking into the distance. He is looking in my direction but he just isn't seeing me. He revs his engine. He is going to go for it. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! :eek:

Will it be an overtake or a right turn? Make a decision. NOW! If he is overtaking, I need to dive left to get out of his way. NO - HE IS TURNING ACROSS ME!!! I brake hard and dive right. He launches into a right turn and finally sees me as I swerve away from him. He swerves further right and misses me by about 50 cm!

The driver has a look of total shock on his face and I hear him shout ...

... Yeah, you got it - SMIDSY!***

Er, I had worked that one out for myself! :okay:

Massively adrenalised, I sprinted up the hill like Chris Froome after 10 puffs on an asthma inhaler ... :whistle:

*** S-orry M-ate I D-idn't S-ee Y-ou

Glad you’re OK. It’s just as well you were paying attention!

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Four of us today. Steve E in the Green and Pete M and Jules H in Upton. Despite the forecast for lovely sunny weather it was misty. We took the well worn route out to Eckington Bridge and on for the Combertons. As we rode up onto the flanks of Bredon Hill we rode out of the mist and enjoyed lovely blue skies and sun. Bricklehampton lead us across to Cropthorne and Jubilee Bridge. The cafe folks welcomed us and we settled in for a fair amount of time. Two cups of coffee, some soup and lots of chat filled the time.

Off up Hill Furze is always a tricky start for cafe legs. We got going eventually but grey had gathered again and as we rode for Throckmorton airfield the mist was beginning to gather. The ford at Pinvin is fairly full but no where near it's max. The footpath is our preferred crossing so it never matters really. Over the railway we looped on a lane I haven't used for many a long year. It just takes us to Pirton village and we rejoin our usual tarmac very soon after. The climb of Kinnersley bank was different today as we didn't see the top until we were almost there. Up into the clouds we had climbed. We stopped in Upton for a quick beer and more chat before we parted. I took my usual run back and the mists had really begun to shroud the world. I put my lights on just in case. Nice social one today despite the weather not playing as nice as it was promised, but hey, it is mid January.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Glutton for punishment that I am I got out to kick off another attempt at the Imperial Century Challenge.

I've not done anywhere near my usual miles through December and into January so I settled for a route without too much climbing and one I know well so I wouldn't need to refer to the maps. I headed over Lyth Hill, south through Acton Burnell to Cardington, north to Cressage, Upton Magna, Roden, Shawbury and Wem, then in a variation to the norm, past Colemere and Whitemere to Ellesmere before getting back on track to Gobowen, Oswestry, Maesbrook, Melverley, Westbury, Lea Cross, Exfords Green, Condover and home.

Today looked like a good day as it was forecast to be bright and sunny with light winds BUT with a mild night so that there wouldn't be a frost to contend with. The forecast didn't disappoint for once and I set out into the darkness to climb Lyth Hill.

Dropping down the other side into Condover for the first time it was quite a bit colder and I was glad to have put on the long fingered gloves that seemed like overkill at the start. There didn't appear to be any ice but I took it very carefully anyway on the roads I knew wouldn't have been gritted.

At Folly Bank I had my first drink stop and a wonderful view of the sunrise but also a view of low lying fog in the next valley that I'd be dropping down into. This turned out to be bitterly cold so I was glad of my layers. It was fairly localized though so I'd ridden out of it in a couple of miles or so, but it stayed cold for quite a while after that.

My only irritating passes of the trip all occurred on the road from Hughley to Harley (as always, I didn't go into Harley but turned off just on the outskirts of the village) - impatient drivers forcing their way past despite the fact I'd have given them room at the next gateway.

Cressage to Wem all went very smoothly with nothing really to report. After Wem I took the less direct way and here was overtaken by a tractor with what I thought seemed quite a wayward trailer which looked like it was trying to steer itself. About half a mile further on I could hear a graunching noise coming from the trailer and the driver had to pull over to investigate. I think judging by the jaunty angle the trailer was now sitting at, he was going to have to sort out a major breakage.

As already mentioned I took a different route via Colemere to try and avoid the section I usually use from Welshampton which was horrendously muddy last time I was there. There was still mud but not on the same scale. The downside was a bit more climbing.

I passed the metric century at Ellesmere and headed along the usual route to Gobowen - a bit muddy but I've seen it worse. Gobowen to Oswestry though was very muddy and by this time my legs were feeling fatigued so the hills were quite an effort too.

I perked up a bit by the next big climb at Prince's Oak which was slow but I made it up in one which I hadn't been sure I'd manage earlier on. The climb to Edge didn't seem too bad and by Exfords Green I was happy to extend the ride a little at the end by going through Condover again and taking a loop of the village to finish off.

102.95 miles at 12.5 mph moving average. I should have gone round the block to round the distance up but I'd had enough by the time I got back. 9 hours and 40 minutes total time with stops.

DSC0005714.jpg

Starting off into the dark again as I cross Lyth Hill

DSC0005718.jpg

Sunrise at Folly Bank and I can see I'm about to descend into fog.....

DSC0005719.jpg

..... yup, there it is. I wasn't in it for long fortunately.

DSC0005720.jpg

Back to blue sky and sunshine on the way to Wroxeter.

DSC0005721.jpg

A return visit to Moreton Corbet Castle but in nicer weather (well, sunnier at least).

DSC0005723.jpg

Whitemere.

DSC0005726.jpg

I tend to find this spot on the signposted route from Ellesmere to Gobowen pleasing to the eye.

DSC0005733.jpg

Jumping on a bit, I've just crossed the Severn into Wales for a short while.

DSC0005737.jpg

The sun sets again behind Earl's Hill. Not too far to home now.

gavgav

Guru
Glutton for punishment that I am I got out to kick off another attempt at the Imperial Century Challenge.

I've not done anywhere near my usual miles through December and into January so I settled for a route without too much climbing and one I know well so I wouldn't need to refer to the maps. I headed over Lyth Hill, south through Acton Burnell to Cardington, north to Cressage, Upton Magna, Roden, Shawbury and Wem, then in a variation to the norm, past Colemere and Whitemere to Ellesmere before getting back on track to Gobowen, Oswestry, Maesbrook, Melverley, Westbury, Lea Cross, Exfords Green, Condover and home.

Today looked like a good day as it was forecast to be bright and sunny with light winds BUT with a mild night so that there wouldn't be a frost to contend with. The forecast didn't disappoint for once and I set out into the darkness to climb Lyth Hill.

Dropping down the other side into Condover for the first time it was quite a bit colder and I was glad to have put on the long fingered gloves that seemed like overkill at the start. There didn't appear to be any ice but I took it very carefully anyway on the roads I knew wouldn't have been gritted.

At Folly Bank I had my first drink stop and a wonderful view of the sunrise but also a view of low lying fog in the next valley that I'd be dropping down into. This turned out to be bitterly cold so I was glad of my layers. It was fairly localized though so I'd ridden out of it in a couple of miles or so, but it stayed cold for quite a while after that.

My only irritating passes of the trip all occurred on the road from Hughley to Harley (as always, I didn't go into Harley but turned off just on the outskirts of the village) - impatient drivers forcing their way past despite the fact I'd have given them room at the next gateway.

Cressage to Wem all went very smoothly with nothing really to report. After Wem I took the less direct way and here was overtaken by a tractor with what I thought seemed quite a wayward trailer which looked like it was trying to steer itself. About half a mile further on I could hear a graunching noise coming from the trailer and the driver had to pull over to investigate. I think judging by the jaunty angle the trailer was now sitting at, he was going to have to sort out a major breakage.

As already mentioned I took a different route via Colemere to try and avoid the section I usually use from Welshampton which was horrendously muddy last time I was there. There was still mud but not on the same scale. The downside was a bit more climbing.

I passed the metric century at Ellesmere and headed along the usual route to Gobowen - a bit muddy but I've seen it worse. Gobowen to Oswestry though was very muddy and by this time my legs were feeling fatigued so the hills were quite an effort too.

I perked up a bit by the next big climb at Prince's Oak which was slow but I made it up in one which I hadn't been sure I'd manage earlier on. The climb to Edge didn't seem too bad and by Exfords Green I was happy to extend the ride a little at the end by going through Condover again and taking a loop of the village to finish off.

102.95 miles at 12.5 mph moving average. I should have gone round the block to round the distance up but I'd had enough by the time I got back. 9 hours and 40 minutes total time with stops.

View attachment 391054
Starting off into the dark again as I cross Lyth Hill

View attachment 391040
Sunrise at Folly Bank and I can see I'm about to descend into fog.....

View attachment 391041
..... yup, there it is. I wasn't in it for long fortunately.

View attachment 391042
Back to blue sky and sunshine on the way to Wroxeter.

View attachment 391043
A return visit to Moreton Corbet Castle but in nicer weather (well, sunnier at least).

View attachment 391044
Whitemere.

View attachment 391045
I tend to find this spot on the signposted route from Ellesmere to Gobowen pleasing to the eye.

View attachment 391047
Jumping on a bit, I've just crossed the Severn into Wales for a short while.

View attachment 391048
The sun sets again behind Earl's Hill. Not too far to home now.
There was frost on my car window this morning! None at yours? That’s bonkers with only a mile between us :wacko:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There was frost on my car window this morning! None at yours? That’s bonkers with only a mile between us :wacko:

I thought I hadn't seen Phil much on here today.

He wouldn't have been so far behind Steve Abraham, who by the look of it stopped overnight at the motel at Battlefield, leaving at about 6.30am towards Shawbury - and beyond.

https://frrt.org/tg/?center=52.88736,-2.02698&zoom=8

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Cracking imperial century @Rickshaw Phil :okay:
Thanks.:thanks:

No, nothing here. Showing as 6C when I left home but it did seem to vary a lot en-route.

I thought I hadn't seen Phil much on here today.

He wouldn't have been so far behind Steve Abraham, who by the look of it stopped overnight at the motel at Battlefield, leaving at about 6.30am towards Shawbury - and beyond.

https://frrt.org/tg/?center=52.88736,-2.02698&zoom=8
Shame, I'd love to have seen him out on the road. He'd have been long gone before I set out, let alone by the time I got that side of town.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Day before yesterday's ride, late as usual..
Having prepped the bike, kit and porage, I'd set my alarm for 06:00.. snooze button several times I was up by 07:50 :tongue:

Still, I only had to be at The Windhover to meet several mates by 10:00 so I could alter my route to suite.. luckily. Plenty of time :laugh:

IMG_4578.JPG

I just had the time to divert to The Bread Line in Brixworth for a coffee and a bacon & brie punani with cranberry sauce.. Even then, I was only 1 minute late for the start time.
The weather was damp and mizzly for most of the day, and route was more recreational than challenging, but most enjoyable as it was the first time we'd had the chance to meet up for a pedal for quite a while.

IMG_4588.JPG

Up the BVW, we headed into the old railway tunnel, which was a tad damp, and onto Market Harborough. (Wobbly pic due to single handed riding on wet leaves and mud)

At Mkt Harborough, we turned back for a coffee and another chat..

IMG_4590.JPG

With bacon sarnies and cake, obviously..

As we left the Waterloo Cafe, Garry noticed that the p*ncture fairy had visited his back tyre..

IMG_4592.jpg

While he was fixing it, I decided to ride up the cafe access road to stop my legs seizing up. Ten minutes later, we were on our way homewards, returning on the same track through the two tunnels.
Parting ways back at the Windhover, I rode back around the south of the town to pick up the new tyres for the CX. Luckily, I only had a few miles to ride with them festooned around my neck!

Back home on 101km, my 1st metric century of the year, with chilly toes and a mucky bike to clean..

https://www.strava.com/activities/1348503473

:smile:

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Cold, damp and foggy in the Eden Valley yesterday, but I went out anyway with the Eden Valley CTC to get my 2018 off to a cracking start ridewise, heading through the fellside lanes from Lazonby to Appleby (Bojangles is a fine pitstop:cuppa::hungry:) via Dufton and back again via Long Marton, Culgaith and Langwathby. The sun did come out to play in the afternoon for a while and I've finally managed to register on the Fred Whitton Challenge website:dance:. Bring it on and y'all enjoy your riding!:training::sweat:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A short one today just to keep the legs from siezing. I headed over Lyth Hill and did the clockwise version of my Acton Burnell loop. All the roads seem to have a film of mud on them so I've added a fair bit to the dirt collected on yesterdays ride.

It was fairly hard work with aching legs but they did ease a bit after the first few miles which encouraged me to press on more than I probably should have done. Not much to report other than; being out during school kicking-out time I was less than impressed with some of the driving. Not the first time I've observed this.

18.5 miles at 13.5 mph average which is quicker than it felt at the time.

DSC0005742.jpg

The photo hasn't come out as well as I'd hoped. There were some great lighting effects as the sun broke through the cloud over the hills.

Days-off Friday/Saturday
Sadly I woke up early Friday morning (03:00 ish), with a hacking cough, streaming nose, & the inability to breathe efficiently
(days-off this week are Thurs/Fri)

I went out, after vacuuming out/cleaning the Panda, ready for its collection tomorrow
No camera

Just a 'long loop' around through the edge of Leeds, Cross Green, East End Park etc....
Up towards Austhorpe, & over towards Barwick-in-Elmet, Aberford, Lotherton, Saxton, Sherbun-in-Elmet, Great North Road, Fairburn

Maybe more tomorrow?

Top Bottom