Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Same shortish utility drill as last Sunday. Last night's forecast had me assuming I'd take the car however this morning's unexpected not-utterly-freezing temperature and glorious sunshine cutting through the fog pushed me towards the bike. A ride seemed like a good idea on paper following a somewhat less-than-great weekend..

Again similar to last week; really warm and sunny on the way out but less-so on the way back - especially after I'd stood outside talking for a while before the return leg. Took a slightly different route home but the distance was similar to last time; stopping for eggs and a few cheeky onions on the way. Also bothered the co-op; nowt reduced worth buying and I managed to resist the urge for more beer.

Once home did another short run to the bottle bank to rid the hall of the shameful amount of bottles that had accumulated over the past week or so..

IMG_20240303_123027.jpg

Great to get out but feeling it a bit now.. think I might write the rest of the day off in the name of preparation for the working week..

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
8 miles along the Trent and Mersey Canal into Burton upon Trent.

sounds like your in my neck of the woods :smile:

geocycle

Legendary Member
A curate’s egg of a day, cold when the clouds gathered and warm sun in bursts between. Decided to explore the SW of my range and headed off on a traverse of Bowland toward Clitheroe. Climbed the Trough and enjoyed the fast descent toward Marshaw. Fields full of lapwing and curlew looking for potential nesting sites. Carried on past Dunsop Bridge to Newton where I headed south over the mass of Waddington Fell. This isn’t the hardest climb but it is long reading above 475masl and carries quite a bit of traffic. I’d hoped to use the cafe in Waddington but it was shut, hopefully not permanently. Rather than dropping into Clitheroe I took a westward line along the flank of Longridge Fell. This is the well healed end of the Ribble Valley that regularly returns a Conservative MP and has more than its share of 4 x 4s. North to Cockerham where I came across a field of Whooper swans and views to the snow covered Lake District fells. 102 km with 1314 m of climbing.

Picture of Bowland mountain rescue hut and Lune estuary with Lakes behind.

IMG_0459.jpeg

IMG_0461.jpeg

There was a threat of ice again today so someone suggested that we meet later at the Washingley cross roads. About an hour from his place its only about 30mins so I went for a circular route to the meet. I thought after a brief warm up I’d go hard for an hour. It turned out to be very hard indeed for not much speed
:joy:
When I got to the meet I only really expected him and another but nearly everyone appeared and lol one of the few guessed where we’d be at the end and turned up. I say end but you can probably tell from the photo map it wasn’t the end for me, I had another 12.5miles (45mins) to go they had about 2miles
:smiley:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Today’s ride to the airport.

We had to check out of the accommodation in Seville at 11:00, the flight wasn’t until 5pm which meant we had time to kill before we needed to be at the airport.

Rather than fold and pack the Bromptons in the cases we decided to ride to the airport. However, that was a challenge because we had left the carry straps for the cases at home. So yesterday we went to the Decathlon store to see if they had anything that would work as straps. We were in luck, we found rifle straps (who knew) that fitted perfectly.

We were able to carry the folded Brompton bags on our backs, our clothes in vacuum bags in the front luggage, and a bit of jiggery pokery with my belt holding a top on the front bag, and the Fragrant MrsP’s small back pack attached to her saddle via the rails and some gaffa tape and were good to go by bike.
image1.jpeg

IMG_4864.jpeg

The ride itself was uneventful, a lovely sunny day, flat route, almost traffic free along the excellent Seville cycle paths we had a bit of time to kill, so we stopped at a Maccy D for lunch and to chill in the sun.
IMG_4865.jpeg

We left after about an hour and continued along the cycle paths until we got the area for last four miles where the route directed us through a disused, derelict and abandoned air base, and along a canal path with the sign…

image0.jpeg

…Oh well, we went anyway, it was the only route.
After the canal path the last mile so was along an airport that wasn’t very busy, the only hairy part was the last couple of hundred metres to get onto the airport property.

Once at the departure checkin we wheeled the bikes to quiet area where we had an audience of RyanAir queue watching us unfold the bags, then fold up the bikes, and wheel the bags to the large luggage drop off. (We were not flying with RyanAir BTW).
IMG_4870.jpeg

11. 68 miles

Attachments

• IMG_4868.jpeg
    IMG_4868.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 7

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Mad March 200, yesterday. A hilly event going over the top of Exmoor and over the Quantocks via Dead Woman's Ditch.
I arrived at the start early enough for a bacon bap, a coffee and a chat. Having only recently been signed off by the physio, I wasn't confident of my fitness. I followed the main bunch until I realised that a squidgy rear tyre was slowing me down. I pumped it up and spun the wheel, and it stayed up for the duration. I continued out of Exeter towards Crediton on a relatively quiet A377, pulling in to wave one patient lorry driver past. The first control was on the old airfield at Winkleigh. All but two riders had left by the time I'd finished my tea and cake, and conversation.

Then it was mostly lanes and potholes to South Molton, over the Link Road and up to North Molton - a pub stop but no alcohol consumed. There followed the first of the big climbs: 5 miles up to the top of Exmoor past Withypool Common, then the fast descent with a tricky blind hairpin to Withypool itself.

More lanes to Winsford - the ford was full enough that I took to the footbridge for a change. Then a climb out of the Exe Valley to Wheddon Cross and a steep ascent to Quarme Hill, descending by grotty lanes to the Roadwater Valley and my favourite cycling road. I was feeling rather knackered by now and the unrelenting climbs on the A39 with traffic queuing to pass were perhaps my least favourite part.

Another pub control - with food. Several other riders were still there, taking their time. Then came the climb past Walford's Gibbet to Dead Woman's Ditch and a stupidly fast descent to Crowcombe. Another bit of A-road, turning off through Comb Florey (where Evelyn Waugh aspired to become lord of the manor). A final control, where friendly staff made up for the fact that it was just a Co-op.

A few showers came and went on the last leg. My legs had recovered sufficiently to make a good pace back along the old '10' course and more potholed lanes to the pub finish. I wasn't last back, taking a fraction over 12hrs.

Today I'm feeling surprisingly sprightly - obviously didn't try hard enough.
MM.JPG

IMG-20240303-WA0001.jpg
[Mr B's photo]

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
What a glorious Spring day in Gloucestershire today. Got another 50km ride in around the Severnside villages in (to me) near perfect conditions. When I got down to the river at Epney I spotted a new glamping site being put together on the road to Framilode. Those first two pods are right up against the grass flood dyke. Should have a cracking view of the Severn Bore when it comes along.
DSCF1747.JPG

I went along the river bank at Priding ...
DSCF1748.JPG

Before climbing a small hill and heading off for Arlingham. I headed back the same way I came, and there were great views from the top of the hill.
DSCF1751.JPG

DSCF1752.JPG

Then I headed off towards Frampton, where I stopped and chatted with an old work colleague before stopping for a moment by one of the village ponds.
DSCF1756.JPG

A tad over 31 miles in all. Shorts and fingerless gloves. Great to be out there in the sunshine.

cyberknight

What a glorious Spring day in Gloucestershire today. Got another 50km ride in around the Severnside villages in (to me) near perfect conditions. When I got down to the river at Epney I spotted a new glamping site being put together on the road to Framilode. Those first two pods are right up against the grass flood dyke. Should have a cracking view of the Severn Bore when it comes along.
View attachment 723597
I went along the river bank at Priding ...
View attachment 723598
Before climbing a small hill and heading off for Arlingham. I headed back the same way I came, and there were great views from the top of the hill.
View attachment 723599

View attachment 723600
Then I headed off towards Frampton, where I stopped and chatted with an old work colleague before stopping for a moment by one of the village ponds.
View attachment 723602
A tad over 31 miles in all. Shorts and fingerless gloves. Great to be out there in the sunshine.

braver than me !
still in longs and winter gloves commuting , its freezing on the way in an that wind chill !, even coming home my hands are still cold .

iandg

Legendary Member
Left home to meet up with the "Wednesday Wheelers", a group of oldies/retirees who list a different destination each week and meet there at 12.00 for lunch and a blether. You make your own way there and arrange to ride with others or solo. Had a flat in the first mile changed the tube and flatted again a few miles later (was a fault with the valve). Using my last spare I decided to turn round and head home. :sad:

cyberknight

A rare saturday ride with the club , 2 groups at the start with the steady group going to fradely and i led the pacier group to tara world peace cafe in etwall.
Just short of the metric century when i got home so i had to ride around the block a couple of times to get the challenge in
One of the chaps turned up wearing a wig as hes bald as a bit of a laugh so i gave him cuddle ;)
IMG-20240309-WA0002.jpg

Clipboard99.jpg

Top Bottom