Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Nice one - did you go down Lombard Street in it? :eek:
No, but we did walk to and down Lombard Street.
I did drive down it in ‘88 though.
 
28/9/26
Recumbent Ride
Little Budworth Country Park


I had only intended to go “round the block” as it looked like rain but extended it as it stayed dry. Heading towards Darnhall, then Hickhurst Lane to Eaton.
Was passed by a couple of cyclists before turning right for Northwich. A few miles later, I turned right into the narrow and winding Beech Lane. Coming to the crossroads with Brown Heath Road and Oulton Mill Lane I managed to miss the worst of the potholes on the dip this time at the cost of a little speed as I went over the crest of the other side. Up through the woods past the entrance to Oulton Park then left on to Coach Road. I called in at the handy conveniences at Little Budworth Country Park car Park. Not many cars here today.
I recently acquired a Decathlon bar bag which just fits nicely on the bars of the Rans. This was my first outing and it works well, plenty of knee clearance.

P1040591.JPG



P1040594.JPG



I set off along tree dappled Coach Road feeling uneasily camouflaged until I turned right into Beech Road. I overtook a couple of horse riders as I wended my way through the wooded lanes, coming out on the A54 to nip across between vehicles.

Further along, a crop spraying tractor was folding up its wing-like arms in a slow and dramatic fashion. I realised that it would have to do this before it could exit the field it was in. It was just fate that it would probably be going my way, so I got a move on to get clear before it appeared, breathing down my neck, hurrying to its next job.

I got on to Longstone Lane and reached the junction for Shays Lane. A brief glimpse of the Long Stone before I turned right. A gradual climb for a mile or so, then downhill to Clays Lane. Left here for what remained of a dip then uphill to the summit at Whitegate station bridge. I’d previously seen Guinea fowl wandering about along here, but didn’t see any, alive or dead today. Perhaps it was just a one off, as they’d got out that day.

There were road works at the bridge with temporary traffic lights. I turned into the car park, found a picnic bench and parked up for a break. I’d been noticing some chain noise in the last few miles and found that the chain had escaped from the return side idler wheel. I winkled it back on. The potholes on Beech Lane had had the last word after all. Once I got going again, silence was restored.

Through the car park, downhill along the trail towards Grange Lane. Once in Grange Lane, right towards town, right at a T junction, across the sports complex car park, between the playing fields, out through a barrier, up a steep lane, right through an estate, left into Delamere St., across the A54 roundabout on to Swanlow Lane, across the lights on Townfields Road, downhill then up to my uphill turn off followed by a downhill through the lanes to my back gate.

Distance 16.28 miles. Max 23.7 miles. Average 8.5 mph.
Ascent 438 ft
 
Top Bottom