Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Could have bought some and put it in your panier :whistle:
It was a training ride so my panniers were full of bricks. :whistle:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I had thought about doing a big ride today but with ice on untreated areas thought it might be better to leave that for today. Once the ice had cleared I did one of my regular routes instead: Shrewsbury, Upton Magna, Wroxeter, Cressage, Acton Burnell and back via Longnor and Condover.

There is still a bit of flooding round the River Severn which forced me to take a detour in Shrewsbury and looked spectacular round Cressage.

After Cressage I turned into a headwind which slowed progress a bit and was bitterly cold. I'm looking forward to some calm spring days now.:thumbsup:

For you classic car buffs I was passed by an Austin Seven Nippy in Shrewsbury. Cute little car!:smile:

Today's mileage was 34.3 and done at an average of 12.5mph.

DSC01085.JPG

Flood water at Cressage.

DSC01086.JPG

Looking back towards the Wrekin from near Acton Burnell.

DSC01088.JPG

The Lawley and Caer Caradoc. How they would look if photographed by J.J. Abrams.:whistle:

DSC01091.JPG

On Lyth Hill, looking towards Haughmond Hill which I was riding next to an hour or so previously.
Also in the shot (but not very clear) is the edge of Sharpstone Quarry. @Nihal might be interested that the F1 race tracks at Bahrain and Abu Dhabi are surfaced with stone from this quarry.

What a day for taking photos, we went with a group to check out the local RAF Station which has been taken over by the Army to see if it was suitable for racing and time trialling on, it was brilliant, amazing surface, nice and wide and over 4 miles around. Right I thought I will take some pics to stun and amaze the CC lot........checks pockets, no camera :sad:, oh well I'll take them on my phone, equally good, checks other pocket, no phone :cry:.
To add insult to injury, 2 miles from home my saddle bolt sheared off along with my saddle at about 20 mph [on fixed], I was very nearly talking with a squeaky high voice, suffice to say the last 2 miles were not easy, sigh. 30 miles, it was beautiful though............honest.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Sixty nine and a bit from Wetherby to Market Weighton and back again to temperatures that didn't rise above 2C. Purchased a Voakes of Wixley pork pie in Andrews of Wetherby. Currently in the fridge. Acorn Meat Products in Acomb had two variants on offer:
A warm hand raised pork pie with a nice friable crust with a lightly spiced filling with a hint of mace. 9/10
jatuvyty.jpg

9azadapu.jpg

The second pie was eaten in Market Weighton and was a disappointment despite the appealing appearance. The crust was a bit on the thick side and had a high fat content rivalling second rate supermarket pies. The filling was too chewy and was non descript.

yhyvusut.jpg

me5a4ube.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
What a day for taking photos, we went with a group to check out the local RAF Station which has been taken over by the Army to see if it was suitable for racing and time trialling on, it was brilliant, amazing surface, nice and wide and over 4 miles around. Right I thought I will take some pics to stun and amaze the CC lot........checks pockets, no camera :sad:, oh well I'll take them on my phone, equally good, checks other pocket, no phone :cry:.
To add insult to injury, 2 miles from home my saddle bolt sheared off along with my saddle at about 20 mph [on fixed], I was very nearly talking with a squeaky high voice, suffice to say the last 2 miles were not easy, sigh. 30 miles, it was beautiful though............honest.
Sorry the ride didn't go to plan but I like your report on that airfield.:thumbsup:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Sorry the ride didn't go to plan but I like your report on that airfield.:thumbsup:
Are you allowed to take pictures on an airfield?
Many years ago we got followed for miles by a police car because we stopped to sightsee near an army base in Dumbarton - home of @MDB btw, maybe that explains something :laugh:

Are you allowed to take pictures on an airfield?
Many years ago we got followed for miles by a police car because we stopped to sightsee near an army base in Dumbarton - home of @MDB btw, maybe that explains something :laugh:
That does explain a lot! However don't worry, me and the Armed Forces Minister are best of mates.........
I haven't told him yet though........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom