Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Only 42? as welsh dragon said only a youngster, my 62 year old knees are holding up very well at the moment.^_^
Thank you

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Only 42? as welsh dragon said only a youngster, my 62 year old knees are holding up very well at the moment.^_^
I thought my knees were wrecked by the time that I got to 55. I have lost 4 stone in weight in the 3 years since then, and they have mysteriously got better ... :thumbsup:

Keep on riding and you will soon feel the benefits!

ScotiaLass

Guru
I thought my knees were wrecked by the time that I got to 55. I have lost 4 stone in weight in the 3 years since then, and they have mysteriously got better ... :thumbsup:

Keep on riding and you will soon feel the benefits!
Agreed.
I never thought my knees would hold up to the punishment I give them on the MTB, especially as I've had a previous knee op.
But I've lost weight and it has helped :smile:

gavgav

Guru
I managed to drag Doug out for another quick ride this afternoon, heading anti-clockwise around a variation of my Acton Burnell route.

As the wind was quite strong from the south west when we set out, we went via Lyth Hill rather than the more exposed direct road to Condover before heading to Ryton and Longnor. The roads were busier than normal which took some of the fun out of it and Doug was finding it hard work.:sad:

After a pause at Longnor we set off again with the wind in our favour - or so I thought. On the section from Frodesley to Acton Burnell I couldn't seem to get up to the sort of pace I'd usually expect and on the way to Cantlop the wind was definitely against us,:scratch: to the extent that on the nice downhill section to Condover I was having to push to achieve 12mph:headshake:rather than the 18 to 20 I'm used to. (Checking later on the Met Office site confirms that the wind veered round to the north while we were out.:dry:)

For the last few miles back we experimented a bit with slipstreaming which did help Doug keep up a reasonable pace, but that was a harder ride than it should have been for the speed we managed.

17.6 miles this time at 11.5 mph average.

View attachment 41723
Doug at the drink stop near Longnor
At least you got him out again! And he's smiling at longnor which is good!

Gareth C

Veteran
As part of our training for our Ride Across Britain, we thought it would be a good idea to take in one of the classic sportives linked with the Spring Classics. So the Ronde van Vlaanderen was booked. We took the channel tunnel to Calais, and drove up to a remote (and rather nice) farmhouse in the Flanders Countryside. This would be our base for the weekend – ride the sportive on Saturday, watch the Pros race on Sunday, then back under the channel.

1975017_10152289930307180_973341432_n.jpg

Saturday 5 April
Our team was doing the shorter 75 km Ronde van Vlaanderen Cyclo route that still manages to take in most of the iconic cobbled climbs.

sportograf-46252986_lowres.jpg

One great aspect of this event is that the organisers place video cameras along the route and use your timing chip to give you a link to when you passed the camera. I’ve included these links below – you’ll see me in my Team Dulux jersey, white helmet and shoes and black bike with green bars. For the first one at the official start I had my white gilet and arm-warmers on, as it was rather chilly. Later in the day, however, it got upto 20°C.

sportograf-46323677_lowres.jpg

KOPPENBURG (10:32, AVERAGE GRADIENT 9.4%, MAXIMUM GRADIENT 22%, LENGTH 700M)
First cobbled climb of the day. Very narrow, and by the time we reach the top there is a log-jam of riders who can no longer continue, or have fallen off. Everyone has to walk the final part.

Video 1.

STEENBEEKDRIES
This is not so much a hill (though it does have a hill in it), but 2km of cobbled hell. It starts downhill, and riding down the cobbles is probably worse than climbing up them, as the speed rattles your brain inside your head and makes your hands feel like you’re operating a road drill.

It then does climb up, so you get some respite. There’s a small railway crossing where you get a couple of metres of smooth tarmac either side (bliss) before back to the hammering.

By this stage plenty of people had lost their water bottles, and some had even lost their bottle cages.

TAAIENBERG (10:56, AVERAGE GRADIENT 6.1%, MAXIMUM GRADIENT 16%, LENGTH 890M)
At this point, having been traumatised by the long section across the Steenbeekdries, I had a go at riding up the gutter, which was certainly easier on the bike and body, but seemed to miss the point. Cobbles for the rest of the route.

Video 1 and Video 2.

KAPERIJ, KANARIEBERG, KRUISBERG, KARNEMELBEEKSTRAAT
All passed in a pleasant few hours of cycling.

sportograf-46443128_lowres.jpg

sportograf-46371789_lowres.jpg

OUDE KWAREMONT (13:22, AVERAGE GRADIENT 4%, MAXIMUM GRADIENT 11.6%, LENGTH 2200M)
As we descended on the cycle track on Ronse Baan, you could see to the right the hospitality tents for the Oude Kwaremont, and riders struggling up the steep cobbled ascent. A quick run along the bottom , and then you turn onto the climb.

Video 1, and Video 2.

PATERBURG (13:37, AVERAGE GRADIENT 12.9%, MAXIMUM GRADIENT 20.3%, LENGTH 360M)
Getting towards the end of the ride now, rather warm, and the final steep and narrow Patterburg to climb. Most people were walking, either due to fatigue or bad luck in hitting a bottleneck from people falling off. Due to some extraordinary luck, I managed to navigate a way through the crowds and do a clean ascent.

Video 1, and Video 2.

At the top of the Paterburg I didn’t notice Neal and Anthony, so carried on. This resulted in me doing the last (flat and fast) 15 km alone, wondering if they were ahead of me or behind me.

sportograf-46377884_lowres.jpg

sportograf-46222669_lowres.jpg

Finish
The official finish was crowded, and then a ride through Oudenaarde town, where many had stopped for a post-ride beer. I carried on to the Qubus sportive finish, where ten minutes later the rest of the team arrived, and we had our celebratory beer.

After a while, it’s time to ride home, and we take a nice steady pace through beautiful countryside, before getting cleaned up and heading out for a celebratory dinner.

sportograf-46234067_lowres.jpg

sportograf-46161280_lowres.jpg

Sunday 6 April
Another fair day, with only a little drizzle as we packed up. We took a steady ride down to Velzeke where the professional Tour of Flanders exits the cobbled Paddestraat.

p1360283.jpg
Me at the monument to the Ronde.
The crowds we’re gathering as we arrived, and some ad-hoc entertainment from a nun and Scooby Doo was laid on (we think they’d been in the pub a while…).

p1360285.jpg
Pre-race entertainment.

First up was the women’s race, with grimaces and bottles flying out of cages showing just how those cobbles rattle.

p1360463.jpg
Dodging the fallen bottles.
After a short lunch break at the pub, it was time for the men’s race.

The first group arrived, with five in a bunch and a couple trailing. The motorcycle said they had about three minutes lead on the main peloton. When the main bunch arrived the Sky Train was nowhere in evidence, then along comes Geraint Thomas, alone and cut-up from his earlier crash, and clips his back wheel on the curb in the turn, causing a rapid stop. He had to wait for the peloton to clear before the team cars arrive to give him a new bike. Despite this, he later manager to regain the group and get eighth place overall. No mean feat.

p1360672.jpg
Geraint Thomas about to clip the curbstone.
p1360718.jpg
Sir Bradley, who had been working hard for G.
Then it was time to ride back to the farmhouse, pack up the cars, and head back to Britain.

Last edited:
Backshift brings out the lazy bugger in me and so this proved as my plan to follow up yesterdays 10 miles was scuppered by a complete lack of lifting the head off the pillow . When i did get out the wind was giving a little howl and i did manage 8 mile before home to shower for work. Took my hat with me but then realised i'd forgotten my gloves so when back in town it was all the excuse i needed for a costa coffee. Sad to report no cake though as trying to lose a bit of poundage.

As part of our training for our Ride Across Britain, we thought it would be a good idea to take in one of the classic sportives linked with the Spring Classics. So the Ronde van Vlaanderen was booked. We took the channel tunnel to Calais, and drove up to a remote (and rather nice) farmhouse in the Flanders Countryside. This would be our base for the weekend – ride the sportive on Saturday, watch the Pros race on Sunday, then back under the channel.

1975017_10152289930307180_973341432_n.jpg

Saturday 5 April
Our team was doing the shorter 75 km Ronde van Vlaanderen Cyclo route that still manages to take in most of the iconic cobbled climbs.

sportograf-46252986_lowres.jpg

One great aspect of this event is that the organisers place video cameras along the route and use your timing chip to give you a link to when you passed the camera. I’ve included these links below – you’ll see me in my Team Dulux jersey, white helmet and shoes and black bike with green bars. For the first one at the official start I had my white gilet and arm-warmers on, as it was rather chilly. Later in the day, however, it got upto 20°C.

sportograf-46323677_lowres.jpg

KOPPENBURG (10:32, AVERAGE GRADIENT 9.4%, MAXIMUM GRADIENT 22%, LENGTH 700M)
First cobbled climb of the day. Very narrow, and by the time we reach the top there is a log-jam of riders who can no longer continue, or have fallen off. Everyone has to walk the final part.

Video 1.

STEENBEEKDRIES
This is not so much a hill (though it does have a hill in it), but 2km of cobbled hell. It starts downhill, and riding down the cobbles is probably worse than climbing up them, as the speed rattles your brain inside your head and makes your hands feel like you’re operating a road drill.

It then does climb up, so you get some respite. There’s a small railway crossing where you get a couple of metres of smooth tarmac either side (bliss) before back to the hammering.

By this stage plenty of people had lost their water bottles, and some had even lost their bottle cages.

TAAIENBERG (10:56, AVERAGE GRADIENT 6.1%, MAXIMUM GRADIENT 16%, LENGTH 890M)
At this point, having been traumatised by the long section across the Steenbeekdries, I had a go at riding up the gutter, which was certainly easier on the bike and body, but seemed to miss the point. Cobbles for the rest of the route.

Video 1 and Video 2.

KAPERIJ, KANARIEBERG, KRUISBERG, KARNEMELBEEKSTRAAT
All passed in a pleasant few hours of cycling.

sportograf-46443128_lowres.jpg

sportograf-46371789_lowres.jpg

OUDE KWAREMONT (13:22, AVERAGE GRADIENT 4%, MAXIMUM GRADIENT 11.6%, LENGTH 2200M)
As we descended on the cycle track on Ronse Baan, you could see to the right the hospitality tests for the Oude Kwaremont, and riders struggling up the steep cobbled ascent. A quick run along the bottom , and then you turn onto the climb.

Video 1, and Video 2.

PATERBURG (13:37, AVERAGE GRADIENT 12.9%, MAXIMUM GRADIENT 20.3%, LENGTH 360M)
Getting towards the end of the ride now, rather warm, and the final steep and narrow Patterburg to climb. Most people were walking, either due to fatigue or bad luck in hitting a bottleneck from people falling off. Due to some extraordinary luck, I managed to navigate a way through the crowds and do a clean ascent.

Video 1, and Video 2.

At the top of the Paterburg I didn’t notice Neal and Anthony, so carried on. This resulted in me doing the last (flat and fast) 15 km alone, wondering if they were ahead of me or behind me.

sportograf-46377884_lowres.jpg

sportograf-46222669_lowres.jpg

Finish
The official finish was crowded, and then a ride through Oudenaarde town, where many had stopped for a post-ride beer. I carried on to the Qubus sportive finish, where ten minutes later the rest of the team arrived, and we had our celebratory beer.

After a while, it’s time to ride home, and we take a nice steady pace through beautiful countryside, before getting cleaned up and heading out for a celebratory dinner.

sportograf-46234067_lowres.jpg

sportograf-46161280_lowres.jpg

Sunday 6 April
Another fair day, with only a little drizzle as we packed up. We took a steady ride down to Velzeke where the professional Tour of Flanders exits the cobbled Paddestraat.

p1360283.jpg
Me at the monument to the Ronde.
The crowds we’re gathering as we arrived, and some ad-hoc entertainment from a nun and Scooby Doo was laid on (we think they’d been in the pub a while…).

p1360285.jpg
Pre-race entertainment.

First up was the women’s race, with grimaces and bottles flying out of cages showing just how those cobbles rattle.

p1360463.jpg
Dodging the fallen bottles.
After a short lunch break at the pub, it was time for the men’s race.

The first group arrived, with five in a bunch and a couple trailing. The motorcycle said they had about three minutes lead on the main peloton. When the main bunch arrived the Sky Train was nowhere in evidence, then along comes Geraint Thomas, alone and cut-up from his earlier crash, and clips his back wheel on the curb in the turn, causing a rapid stop. He had to wait for the peloton to clear before the team cars arrive to give him a new bike. Despite this, he later manager to regain the group and get eighth place overall. No mean feat.

p1360672.jpg
Geraint Thomas about to clip the curbstone.
p1360718.jpg
Sir Bradley, who had been working hard for G.
Then it was time to ride back to the farmhouse, pack up the cars, and head back to Britain.
Looks like the B&B I stayed in last year, (strava doesn't work at work (spot the double negative) so I can't confirm) :-) Did you make it up the Koppenberg? it was just too busy when I came by, that and the Paterberg; it was better last year when it was colder and I'd done the full route, they were quieter by the time I got there. I forget the name of the climb I did the day before (my mate said it was the Battenburg ;-) ) it was steeper and longer (apparently it was used in the old ToFlanders and I think where Cancellara famously dropped Sagan) but quieter too :-)

Gareth C

Veteran
Did you make it up the Koppenberg? it was just too busy when I came by, that and the Paterberg; it was better last year when it was colder and I'd done the full route, they were quieter by the time I got there.

There was a massive crash at the top of the Koppenburg, so everyone thereafter had to walk - it does narrow and steepen at the top.

Was very proud to ride the Paterburg clean - I think my mountain biking, track-stand skills and a 32 tooth rear cassette allowed me to weave between everyone walking it. It was hard work though - apparently I gave my teammates the 1000 yard stare at the top looking right through them, then carried on ahead thinking they must be down the road.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Can someone turn the wind down a bit now.:wacko:

My usual tuesday jobs have been postponed so with a dry day forecast I decided to head out on a route I haven't done before; down to Ludlow. I haven't been this way 'til now as I wasn't sure about managing the distance and the hills but the recent forum ride changed my mind about that.

I started off riding familiar roads as far as Cardington but then turned off towards Wall-under-Heywood where I met an unexpected road closure (again :rolleyes:). Fortunately the closure was just by the junction where I wanted to turn off anyway.:thumbsup:. Next was to head down the lanes to Harton and climb over Wenlock Edge to Westhope before descending the pretty Seifton Batch (never been here before and I think I shall go back). The flatter terrain en route to Ludlow followed and the wind was in my favour for a while which made for some nice fast cruising to Stanton Lacy and into Ludlow. It wasn't as far to get here as I thought (about 28.5 miles). I think this route might actually be slightly shorter than the main road.

After a look round the town I headed out again to Bromfield. The wind that was helping on the last section was quite firmly against me here so very slow progress was made and a hot chocolate and a rest was very welcome at the cafe at the Ludlow Food Centre.

I decided to follow NCN44 back which I think was a mistake as not only was it against the wind, but it was also hillier than I'd anticipated from the map. Another map reading error followed when leaving this route and heading back to Westhope I found I had to do the Wenlock Edge climb again rather than skirting round it as I'd thought.:shy:

I was therefore feeling the legs a fair bit by Harton but fortunately was now headed north-east so the wind was giving some assistance again. To try and make the most of the wind direction I took a longer route back (plus I wanted to get over 62 miles to make it a metric century) via Longville-in-the-Dale and past Hughley and Kenley to Acton Burnell. At this point I wasn't sure if I was going to achieve the distance I wanted. I considered heading to Longnor but that would mean at least 3 miles almost directly into the wind which I couldn't face by this point. Instead I headed over Lyth Hill after Condover and took in an extra loop around the village before heading home which was just enough ^_^ - just as well as I couldn't avoid riding into the wind at some point and was seriously flagging by now. I'd like to order some calm days for the summer please.

62.9 miles (my fourth metric century of the year to date) and I managed 12 mph which I'm happy with given the conditions.

EDIT: while making a note of my mileage later on I found that this ride also brings me up to 1000 miles for the year so far.

DSC0000663.jpg

Lots of daffs at Cardington.

DSC0000665.jpg

Looking towards the Longmynd from the Westhope road.

DSC0000666.jpg

Farm with a view in Seifton Batch

DSC0000675.jpg

Ludlow - the gateway leading to Broad Street.

DSC0000679.jpg

Broad Street.

DSC0000680.jpg

Silk Mill Lane - A road that makes even a bike look wide.

DSC0000683.jpg

Dinham Bridge and Ludlow Castle.

DSC0000686.jpg

The name on the front sort of gives away where this is.

DSC0000688.jpg

Islabikes have their headquarters next to the food centre.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Can someone turn the wind down a bit now.:wacko:

My usual tuesday jobs have been postponed so with a dry day forecast I decided to head out on a route I haven't done before; down to Ludlow. I haven't been this way 'til now as I wasn't sure about managing the distance and the hills but the recent forum ride changed my mind about that.

I started off riding familiar roads as far as Cardington but then turned off towards Wall-under-Heywood where I met an unexpected road closure (again :rolleyes:). Fortunately the closure was just by the junction where I wanted to turn off anyway.:thumbsup:. Next was to head down the lanes to Harton and climb over Wenlock Edge to Westhope before descending the pretty Seifton Batch (never been here before and I think I shall go back). The flatter terrain en route to Ludlow followed and the wind was in my favour for a while which made for some nice fast cruising to Stanton Lacy and into Ludlow. It wasn't as far to get here as I thought (about 28.5 miles). I think this route might actually be slightly shorter than the main road.

After a look round the town I headed out again to Bromfield. The wind that was helping on the last section was quite firmly against me here so very slow progress was made and a hot chocolate and a rest was very welcome at the cafe at the Ludlow Food Centre.

I decided to follow NCN44 back which I think was a mistake as not only was it against the wind, but it was also hillier than I'd anticipated from the map. Another map reading error followed when leaving this route and heading back to Westhope I found I had to do the Wenlock Edge climb again rather than skirting round it as I'd thought.:shy:

I was therefore feeling the legs a fair bit by Harton but fortunately was now headed north-east so the wind was giving some assistance again. To try and make the most of the wind direction I took a longer route back (plus I wanted to get over 62 miles to make it a metric century) via Longville-in-the-Dale and past Hughley and Kenley to Acton Burnell. At this point I wasn't sure if I was going to achieve the distance I wanted. I considered heading to Longnor but that would mean at least 3 miles almost directly into the wind which I couldn't face by this point. Instead I headed over Lyth Hill after Condover and took in an extra loop around the village before heading home which was just enough ^_^ - just as well as I couldn't avoid riding into the wind at some point and was seriously flagging by now. I'd like to order some calm days for the summer please.

62.9 miles (my fourth metric century of the year to date) and I managed 12 mph which I'm happy with given the conditions.

View attachment 41770
Lots of daffs at Cardington.

View attachment 41771
Looking towards the Longmynd from the Westhope road.

View attachment 41772
Farm with a view in Seifton Batch

View attachment 41773
Ludlow - the gateway leading to Broad Street.

View attachment 41774
Broad Street.

View attachment 41775
Silk Mill Lane - A road that makes even a bike look wide.

View attachment 41776
Dinham Bridge and Ludlow Castle.

View attachment 41777
The name on the front sort of gives away where this is.

View attachment 41778
Islabikes have their headquarters next to the food centre.

Excellent as always phil. Great photos and write up as usual.

Just the usual route yet again today. Only difference was that for once, just for once, the wind had shifted round and instead of a nasty headwind, I had a tailwind on the way out :biggrin: shame about the torrential :rain:. My rear mudguard broke at one of the mounting points a week or so ago and I had been umming and arhing about not replacing it. Well I reached a conclusion this morning: I don't mind cycling in wind, rain, sleet, snow, hailstone (ouch), thunderstorms, or even sunshine, but I have decided I don't want a wet arse on my road bike, so it is being replaced. It took all of 6km for me to reach this decision this morning... such is life.

Otherwise not a lot happened on the ride, except for 2 workmen deciding they were going to annoy the h*** out of various car drivers at a set of temporary road works on the manual stop/go signs and when the spotted me cycling towards them, a quick chat on the radios and the signs were changed to green go in my direction. The oncoming cars had to stop, and the guy behind who was on the point of overtaking me and then jamming his brakes on had to bale on his manoeuvre as well. I said thank you and smiled sweetly at both workmen as I went passed... :whistle:

The tailwind out meant for one of my fastest outward bound commutes/rides to my parents for a long time, but coming home was hard work, seriously hard work for 2 reasons - one the tailwind was a headwind and had now picked up (and was a head on headwind for most of my ride) and 2, my right sti lever has seized up and whilst I could change gear onto higher numbered teeth cogs, I could not once I had changed, get the bike back off these gears, so over the course of the 22 miles, I slowly ran out of gears and options... (the problem is most likely the sti lever because the gear cable is not frayed or even rusty, the cable outer is new and the derailleur works fine when you can actually press the button to change gear... and even when there are no gears left to change into, the button is still unmovable/needing 2 hands to press it down....)

http://www.strava.com/activities/128161858

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
No work today or tomorrow, so time for a few miles out on the bike.
As it's school holidays, we have our 6yr old granddaughter to look after until 15:00 when No1 daughter finishes work.
For a change, I reckoneda Top Gear challenge was on!
Could I get to Pitsford Reservoir on my bike before MrsPete could get petrol and milk from Tosco's and meet me at the cafe there :smile:

I gave her 20 minutes start and headed out via the old ruined house and Moulton village

IMG_20140408_195309.jpg

A swift shortcut through the alleys.. and into the headwind towards Pitsford.
I dropped down the hill to the dam wall and up to the cafe on t'other side and sent a text that I'd arrived. No reply, so I assumed she was stil on her way.

IMG_20140408_195723.jpg

My victory ice cream :wahhey:

Needless to say, Mrs Pete knew nothing of this challenge and wondered why I had my gloaty face on when they turned up a while later.....
:whistle:

We stayed there for an hour or so while Faith enjoyed the play areas

IMG_20140408_202725.jpg

then they drove home, and I did a circuit of the resrvoir before aiming back home. The northbound side gave me PB on Strava, so I knew the southbound side would be a slog against the wind. And so it proved to be! Another cyclist had warned me about the swarms of mossies in a few places and he was right!! Herds of the buggers. I could hear and feel them splatting against me and sneaking under my helmet...
Never mind, I outran them again.
Time for some piccies :smile:

IMG_20140408_202138.jpg

IMG_20140408_202016.jpg

I rode back home through my favourite wheelwash
IMG_20140408_195853.jpg

on Spectacle Lane, then on past Moulton village to home.

Altogether a nice tootle out.
21 miles on the hardail.

http://app.strava.com/activities/128102081

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom