Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
No work today or tomorrow, so time for a few miles out on the bike.
As it's school holidays, we have our 6yr old granddaughter to look after until 15:00 when No1 daughter finishes work.
For a change, I reckoneda Top Gear challenge was on!
Could I get to Pitsford Reservoir on my bike before MrsPete could get petrol and milk from Tosco's and meet me at the cafe there :smile:

I gave her 20 minutes start and headed out via the old ruined house and Moulton village

View attachment 41793
A swift shortcut through the alleys.. and into the headwind towards Pitsford.
I dropped down the hill to the dam wall and up to the cafe on t'other side and sent a text that I'd arrived. No reply, so I assumed she was stil on her way.

View attachment 41795

My victory ice cream :wahhey:

Needless to say, Mrs Pete knew nothing of this challenge and wondered why I had my gloaty face on when they turned up a while later.....
:whistle:

We stayed there for an hour or so while Faith enjoyed the play areas

View attachment 41797

then they drove home, and I did a circuit of the resrvoir before aiming back home. The northbound side gave me PB on Strava, so I knew the soutgbound side would be a slog against the wind. And so it proved to be!
Never mind. Time for some piccies :smile:

View attachment 41800

View attachment 41802

I rode back home through my favourite wheelwash
View attachment 41803
on Spectacle Lane, then on past Moulton village to home.

Altogether a nice tootle out.
21 miles on the hardail.

http://app.strava.com/activities/128102081

Excellent

LimeBurn

Über Member
My ride today, if it counts as one, was to sit on the turbo while watching the Tour of the Basque country. Great stage and a great win for Tony Martin - but I wish I'd have gone out on the road instead. 26 miles at an average of 20mph so to balance the calorie burn I've just taken my gorgeous wife and family out for a curry buffet. yum!

Peteaud

Veteran
Today i was meant to be meeting a mate who i have not seen for a while at the coffee stop, unfortunately he has the lurgee and cried off, Mrs aud also has the dreaded sniffles so it was left to me to get out in the chilly morning sun.

When i plan a route i call it something silly if i can, rather than Taunton 30 circ or something along them lines, so todays route was called :-

Cider, Cake & The Valley of The Gwangi !!

Started of and headed to the Cider Farm at Dowlish Wake, then across the Seavingtons to the cider distillery at Burrow Hill (hence the Cider) from there it was a stretch across the moor to pick up NCN 33 and follow it to Curry Mallet and the excellent post office / Cake shop. (hence the cake, and very nice it was to).
Leaving the cafe behind i went down a road i call the valley of the gwangi (it used to make me think of jurassic park) with a short climb before heading through the valley and back home.

large.jpg

Werewolf tree.

large.jpg

The farmers are busy planting and ploughing.

large.jpg

Lemon Drizzle cake and coffee :hungry:

large.jpg

Coffee stop dog didnt get any cake.

large.jpg

Green fields.

large.jpg

Gwangi Falls

large.jpg

The Valley road.

large.jpg

Looking back.

large.jpg

The Edge of the woods.

full.png

The route.

all in 35.0 miles and a really enjoyable ride.

Fingers crossed Mrs Aud will feel better by the weekend and my mate feels better for next Wednesday.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Today i was meant to be meeting a mate who i have not seen for a while at the coffee stop, unfortunately he has the lurgee and cried off, Mrs aud also has the dreaded sniffles so it was left to me to get out in the chilly morning sun.

When i plan a route i call it something silly if i can, rather than Taunton 30 circ or something along them lines, so todays route was called :-

Cider, Cake & The Valley of The Gwangi !!

Started of and headed to the Cider Farm at Dowlish Wake, then across the Seavingtons to the cider distillery at Burrow Hill (hence the Cider) from there it was a stretch across the moor to pick up NCN 33 and follow it to Curry Mallet and the excellent post office / Cake shop. (hence the cake, and very nice it was to).
Leaving the cafe behind i went down a road i call the valley of the gwangi (it used to make me think of jurassic park) with a short climb before heading through the valley and back home.

large.jpg

Werewolf tree.

large.jpg

The farmers are busy planting and ploughing.

large.jpg

Lemon Drizzle cake and coffee :hungry:

large.jpg

Coffee stop dog didnt get any cake.

large.jpg

Green fields.

large.jpg

Gwangi Falls

large.jpg

The Valley road.

large.jpg

Looking back.

large.jpg

The Edge of the woods.

full.png

The route.

all in 35.0 miles and a really enjoyable ride.

Fingers crossed Mrs Aud will feel better by the weekend and my mate feels better for next Wednesday.

Beautiful photos and great write up peteaud. I always look forward to it. Many thanks

Last edited:

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
No work today or tomorrow, so time for a few miles out on the bike.
As it's school holidays, we have our 6yr old granddaughter to look after until 15:00 when No1 daughter finishes work.
For a change, I reckoneda Top Gear challenge was on!
Could I get to Pitsford Reservoir on my bike before MrsPete could get petrol and milk from Tosco's and meet me at the cafe there :smile:

I gave her 20 minutes start and headed out via the old ruined house and Moulton village

View attachment 41793
A swift shortcut through the alleys.. and into the headwind towards Pitsford.
I dropped down the hill to the dam wall and up to the cafe on t'other side and sent a text that I'd arrived. No reply, so I assumed she was stil on her way.

View attachment 41795

My victory ice cream :wahhey:

Needless to say, Mrs Pete knew nothing of this challenge and wondered why I had my gloaty face on when they turned up a while later.....
:whistle:

We stayed there for an hour or so while Faith enjoyed the play areas

View attachment 41797

then they drove home, and I did a circuit of the resrvoir before aiming back home. The northbound side gave me PB on Strava, so I knew the southbound side would be a slog against the wind. And so it proved to be! Another cyclist had warned me about the swarms of mossies in a few places and he was right!! Herds of the buggers. I could hear and feel them splatting against me and sneaking under my helmet...
Never mind, I outran them again.
Time for some piccies :smile:

View attachment 41800

View attachment 41802

I rode back home through my favourite wheelwash
View attachment 41803
on Spectacle Lane, then on past Moulton village to home.

Altogether a nice tootle out.
21 miles on the hardail.

http://app.strava.com/activities/128102081

Nice bike that 'dale. I've got the same one tucked away in our fleet, I really need to get her out again soon.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Nice weather, actually worked out how to use Garmin basecamp, so plotted a new route to Avebury. About 50 miles up and around Devizes then Milk and Tan hills, then to Avebury.

One of the massive circle stones, just before I ate my lunch and had a little lie down in the sun.

image.jpg

A murder house just before Milk and Tan hills, eeeek.

image.jpg

Set a good pace going out, felt all proud but then got destroyed by the 25 miles of constant nagging headwind on the way back home. Still means I can have another guilt free ale tonight....

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Nice bike that 'dale. I've got the same one tucked away in our fleet, I really need to get her out again soon.
Cheers, I like it a lot. Its done me well, having ridden Coed y Brenin (The Beast), part of the Marin trail and Cannock many times. I'm surprisedI haven't shaken all the juice out of it yet!! Not bad for a 2010 SL4..
:smile:

gavgav

Guru
My 1st after work ride of the year :hyper:!!

Lovely :sun:but as usual a strong wind!! It was behind me for the 1st 10 miles though and so I cruised along to Uffington, upton magna, Rodington, looped around to Rodington Heath and then down towards walcot.

I was averaging 13.5mph at this stage after 11 miles, but I then turned into the headwind on ncn 81 to withington and back to upton magna and home. It was hard work into the wind but still a very enjoyable ride.:smile:

Only slight annoyance was the lad on a bmx in the estate, which was small enough for a 5 yr old (he was a teenager) who cycled out into the road from the path where his mates were and circled back towards them without looking, as I cycled past him and almost ran into him :stop:. Cue his mates shouting "Gareth you idiot" at him!! :laugh:

17.16 miles
12.6 mph avg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom