Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Back from our saunter into Norwich Halfords after they sent me an email saying that my order number was such and such and that I could collect my Garmin from 1pm today as it was put aside for me. Got there at 2pm and there was no Garmin! No Garmins to be had at all and they were not expecting a delivery for a week. I showed them the email and the bloke shrugged and said 'hard luck'. Different chap from last time I might add.

The route into Norwich was my usual route towards the hospital but turned off through Eaton, along past the UEA and then along various cyclepaths into the city. From bloody Halfrauds we rode to the top of Duke Street and then turned off our bike computers and walked to Pilch's bike shop and bought a Garmin Edge Touring and some brake blocks from them instead. Had a lovely chat and then headed off to a pub by the river to find some coffee and to do some brake fettling. It was here I discovered that I only had half of my multi-tool thing. Ken had taken the other half out of my saddle bag and not put it back. I hadn't checked it as I KNEW that I'd not taken anything out since I last checked. That'll learn me.
After a 20 min rest, coffee, crisps and a good old whinge about Halfords customer dis-service (back to my usual thoughts on them now I'm afraid) we cycled off along the riverside path, very slowly as it was packed today. Then doglegged through the edge of the city to The Marriotts Way and rode along it until the tarmac ran out at Marlpit Lane. Cycled half way up Marlpit and walked the rest as its a bit of a stiff hill that one and neither of us were feeling fabulous by now as we are not as fit as we could be.
Once up at the top (we overtook a lass pushing her 1970's ladies 'racer' who was walking more slowly than us) we got back on and headed towards Bowthorpe and its cycle lanes. My old brake blocks are a lot to be desired at the moment so the downy bits were interesting in the extreme. We slogged up Chapel Break to New Road - the nice road to Bawburgh and then turned left at the bottom and up Stocks Hill. This is a nice hill, if such a thing exists. Its in 3 parts. The first bit is the worst and then there is a false flat where we stopped and had a breather. Then there is another little bit and then a flat/down-ish/flat bit where we had another breather and then its the last push to the top where it meets the B1108.
From there we rode via Little Melton (pretty but not as pretty as Bawburgh) and to the outskirst of Wymondham. We dived through the middle, despite the horrid and narrow hill past the library where the car drivers lack patience and home.

27.81 miles in 2 hours 35 mins or so. My trip computer decided to reset itself half way up our stairs for a reason only known to itself.
My new Garmin is now plugged in to the mains and charging ^_^ We'll take it out and play with it tomorrow. I have to finish my cuppa now and then get out and do a bit of fettling on my poor Giant which has somehow got really filthy.

you're faster than me

@Paul139
On a good day, when I do get myself out, I'll average 12mph, (but then I am overweight); so not a bad speed for a 60 miler.

That looks pretty darn fast to me!

Thanks for the kind words. @Old Plodder I'm overweight myself, need to loose another stone really ( probably more, I do struggle on the hills )

Just back from a preamble around the Cheshire lanes, with a stop over at my parents' home (who are away) to cook Sunday lunch for my 91 year old grandfather. Homemade pizza (mine vegan) before continuing off to Jodrell Bank where my OH decided against visiting the café (:wacko:)... then back home again... arriving home having done the 84km needed to complete a silly strava challenge (:laugh:). I needed 304km this week, I've done 308km... think I may have a quieter day tomorrow on the mountain bike because I have another busy week on the bike next week :bicycle:... http://www.strava.com/activities/137376760

Sometimes amazing things happen in life. Today was one of them. This is Chris Boardman with my Boardman road bike. Thanks to stans cycles in Shrewsbury who put a fabulous ride together - 19 miles of stunning countryside. I had a great time. Big thanks of course to Chris Boardman.

Lucky, lucky me!

Happy cycling, peeps wherever you are.

Mice

This is how it came about. Am still grinning from ear to ear!

http://www.the5milecyclist.com/apps/blog/show/42207288-meeting-two-world-champions-

Attachments

• 1 Mark Cavendish cvndsh.jpg
    1 Mark Cavendish cvndsh.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 2 Chris Boardman.jpg
    2 Chris Boardman.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 53

colly

Re member eR
My ride today consisted of me eyeing the clock at 5.30.........................turning over and deciding another 5mins would be OK.

That was it. Still in bed 4 hours later.:sad:

Ah well.......there's always tomorrow.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A century ride today :wahhey: (1st of the year and only my 2nd ever) and not one of those short continental types either.^_^

I'd studied the map a fair bit and linked together a selection of previous routes to get what I hoped would be a 100 mile route. I may not have been in the best shape for it after a beer or three and a sleepless night but as I was up early anyhow I thought "go for it" and got myself ready.

The trip didn't have the best of starts. At Ryton (just over 4 miles in) I stopped to check on an odd rattle and noticed I had a set of keys in my pocket that shouldn't be there.:blush: I did consider just carrying on anyway, but realistically it would have caused a problem if they weren't put back so I reluctantly headed back to return them to their rightful owner.:rolleyes:

By the time that was done I calculated I could change the route to take into account the extra mileage I'd done (and conveniently take out a big hill climb :whistle:) so it was the alternative route to Acton Burnell then Cressage before turning north to Wroxeter where I had my second breakfast.

From Wroxeter I headed through Upton Forge to Upton Magna then via Rodington Heath to Roden. With the wind behind me and flat roads I was making good progress. At Roden I turned towards Shawbury just before a club outing coming the other way turned into the same road. After about half a mile I noticed the sound of a squeaky drivetrain close behind me and looking back found I had the club right up my arse sitting in the slipstream. Not sure whether to be annoyed that they would slipstream a total stranger or flattered that I was going quick enough for them to want to do it.:giggle:

To Shawbury and beyond the respectable pace continued until the road started to become more undulating and I had a pause for a drink and a bite of cake then carried on towards Wem. This bit of road had a log steady climb followed by a very nice bit of downhill into the town.

North of Wem I was finding the hills rather slow going and the saddle rather firm - the latter did improve (seems to be the nature of a Brooks) but the hills just got slower from here on. Eventually I ended up At Ellesmere where lunch was quite welcome and a break (but not too long). While waiting to join the road again another club outing came past with a quite smart looking upright racing trike - don't see many of those around!

Ellesmere to Oswestry was slow and ponderous as it's quite undulating and I was glad to get onto the roads heading south to Knockin as they are mostly a gentle downhill where I could get some speed up.

Around Knockin I started to worry a bit about the mileage. My mental calculation suggested that I'd be short of the 100 miles, possibly by as much as 5 miles - not good. I added a loop to Pentre rather than taking the direct route to Melverley but still wasn't sure that I'd get the mileage I wanted. I reasoned that I could add an extra bit towards the end and carried on.

Remember that odd rattle? I sussed it at Melverley (80 miles in), it was the carabiner clips on my water bottles (now removed).:huh:

The section from Melverley to Westbury was quite hard work as I really struggled with the slightest of hills now but the long downhill to Nox was fun.

Nearing home I realised that I was going to miss the 100 by just a mile - a detour to Condover was the only realistic option (4th time I've been through there today thanks to the earlier mistake) where I had to stop and take on water and a cereal bar despite only being a couple of miles from home.

I'm up to 98 miles and after all the vehicles that have passed me today I get two close passes on the final stretch :cursing:, one of which made me fear I was going to actually get hit. Not good. I did get back safe though and after one final slight detour just to be certain of my mileage I was very glad to reach home.

100.5 miles and I managed 13.5 mph average speed :hyper:. Taking stops into account I was out for almost exactly 9 hours. Quite chuffed with that.:thumbsup:

I now ache all over (feel like I've been punched in the ribs :wacko:) so have a beer waiting patiently to help with that.:cheers:

I was concentrating on the ride to be honest so photos were a bit of an afterthought today:

DSC0000858.jpg

Usually Longnor would be about 7 miles into the ride. With today's mix-up it was more like 15. A good time for a drink/cake stop.

DSC0000860.jpg

Concord College at Acton Burnell Hall.

DSC0000862.jpg

A good view for my second breakfast.

DSC0000864.jpg

The centre of Wem.

DSC0000866.jpg

The Mere at Ellesmere.

DSC0000868.jpg

As much of Oswestry Hill Fort as I could get into shot.

DSC0000869.jpg

Novel pub name in the hamlet of Ball south of Oswestry.

DSC0000870.jpg

Looking towards the Breiddens from Melverley.

DSC0000871.jpg

The final tally :wahhey: (sorry it's blurred)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom