Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dark46

Veteran
image.jpg
Just got back now thinking about breakfast. 1.7 mile loop x2 3.4 miles this morning, looking for 5 miles but hard to judge with out something front of you to look at . Looking to get a garmin edge 200
With birthday money at start of next month

Last edited:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I needed a distraction yesterday and more hills seemed like a good idea at the time so having walked the dog in the morning, after lunch I plastered on the sun cream and headed up the main road to Williton and then to Watchet as I wanted to see how long it would take me to ride out there (Plan B in case my lift to the start of a charity ride in a fortnight goes belly up). With the sun shining good n strong and not many cars on the road, I had a great blast and freewheeling down one hill at 35mph, I even managed a smug yet compassionate wave/smile at the poor sods doing the Cheddar sportive heading in the opposite direction. Apologies if you were one of them.

I remembered to look at the time once I got to Watchet harbour, and from there headed east up, up, up, up, UP Cleeve Hill and had a good run along the top, despite the headwind, before dropping down into Blue Anchor, stopping at the Driftwood Cafe for a cold drink and an ice cream. :hungry: From there, I went up, up, up (there are only two ways to leave Blue Anchor - by boat or up a hill) and rejoined the main road in Carhampton, heading west this time. Was slightly disgruntled to find myself heading into the wind again but as I soon peeled off onto the country lane taking me past Cleeve Abbey, I soon forgot about it as I basked in the afternoon sun, my legs refreshed after the stop.

Even so, I stopped again just 5 miles after Blue Anchor as I heard the pigs grunting and snuffling at Torre Cider Farm and couldn't resist... I also couldn't resist a slice of cake, so enjoyed that before dishing some serious piglet cuddles and scritches and belly rubs. I miss having pigs. :sad:

It took several goes but I finally said farewell to my piggy friends and headed up, up, up along the edge of Exmoor, swooping down and up and down and up through the villages of Monksilver and Elworthy and then onto Wiveliscombe, where I turned for home.

40 miles, 2500+ft of climbing and about a gazillion calories. And piglet cuddles. Great stuff.

Last edited:

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I'm planning a first run out this afternoon on the road bike. I was out yesterday on my old mtb with my daughter on her first "proper" bike ride since ditching the stabilisers and I though 11k was awesome considering.

Not sure where to go but going to limit myself to 30 mins each way and see how I get on. I've has to put some compact plastic pedals on as a start as the bike come with old shimano pd a-550's but I'll invest in the pedals and mtb shoes in the coming weeks.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Just shy of 33 miles with our lass this morning. Her first 50km, she was a tad tired when we got back ^_^

Saw the first goslings and ducklings of the year in Watermead Country Park, was a bit nippy when we set off but nice an sunny, wind is still very deceptive.
I worked on that for a year when it was created, A community program scheme or "Maggies Minions" as we were called then and often visit to say hello to the 80 or so trees I planted with my team plus 3/4 of a mile of Hawthorn along the towpath, lovely place innit :biggrin:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Those names bring back some memories. I remember Watchet & Blue Anchor, & thinking "I won't do them again." Riding across Exmoor was a pain & a pleasure, great area.
The hills get easier each time. Or so I tell myself. Lots.

In the winter of 2012/13, I rode west from Carhampton to Blue Anchor and was desperate to stop on the hill but two teenage girls walking downhill had obviously been infected with the Wiggo spirit (this was after the TdF and Olympics) and kept shouting encouragement at me. They didn't let up, even as I reached the summit and one managed to bellow up the hill "DON'T STOP, YOU'RE NEARLY THERE!" just as I was in serious danger of flopping over sideways. I made it, got far enough down the other side so they couldn't see me and collapsed in the hedge.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23692

Early start this morning with a nip through the city centre before the rest of the populace stirred, and then headed out into North Cumbria (the bit of the county no-one knows about!!) in the general direction of Bewcastle... yes I did spell it right.... Bewcastle). Not a soul about :smile:

There's not a great deal once you're there, with Bewcastle itself being comprised of a castle, church with a anglo-saxon cross, farm and one other house, but it is steeped in history (click the links!).

A few piccies...

Bew Castle

1_zpsfe68005a.jpg

Bewcastle Church

2_zps3da7be78.jpg

and a map of the route...

full.png

My Garmin tells my it was 42½ miles and 2500 ft ascent

Last edited by a moderator:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I worked on that for a year when it was created, A community program scheme or "Maggies Minions" as we were called then and often visit to say hello to the 80 or so trees I planted with my team plus 3/4 of a mile of Hawthorn along the towpath, lovely place innit :biggrin:

Fantastic place, you did a great job.

colly

Re member eR
Up and out this morning. No clock watching for me today. No sir.

So it was north I went, up to the delights of Boroughbridge and Ripon then back around Harrogate via Beckwithshaw, towards Wetherby but using all the small lanes eventually into the north of Leeds at Shadwell.
RWGPS has it as 66.6 miles so that makes it a devil of a ride. Beastly in fact. I enjoyed it nonetheless even though I was hot and bothered by the time I got back. Strava has it at 66.9, which is nowhere near as spooky.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/2586981

http://app.strava.com/activities/137664285

Gareth C

Veteran
Ouch! (or more, my non-ride today...)

Just prior to the Bank Holiday Weekend, I was finishing off some decorating in the bathroom. Having just screwed the towel rail into place, I stood up, and was in excruciating pain in my lower back. Over ten years ago when I lived in China, I had a slipped disc, and this felt similar. I know it knocked me out for a few months.

A couple of things were certain: I wouldn’t be riding the bike this weekend, and my training plans over the next month might be in jeopardy.

On Saturday, we made the best of a bad day and went out to Seaham for a walk on the beach. Getting out of the car was tricky and painful, but the walk along the beach probably did me some good.

seaham.jpg

For the remainder of the weekend, I’ve been housebound: Liz was packed off to her weekend swimming at Buttermere, and I’ve been skulking in the house. The good news is that while it’s still very painful, especially standing up, each day sees less pain, so possibly I’ve got away with a pulled muscle. Also I set up the mountain bike on the turbo trainer, and found I can pedal without too much problem (though twisting around to see what’s behind me might be a step too far right now).

I’ve also had time to update my KPI spreadsheet for how I’m doing on my training for LEJOG, and am nearly at 2000 km for this year. My fundraising target is £2000 by end of September, and this seems to be moving along too.

kpi-3-in-1-may.jpg

Following my trip to Flanders, the right brake/shifter is rattling, and my rear hub sounds unhealthy, so the bike is booked into the workshop this week. I’ll let my back have a rest and see whether I can get out next weekend. In any event, I’m booked on the MITIE London Revolution on 17/18 May, so will need to be better by then.

sportograf-46151863.jpg

It’s just a shame the weather this weekend has been so great for cycling (despite the initial forecasts)…

Alex H

Legendary Member
First sunny day for a couple of weeks since we were last on the tandem ( and the garden sort of took over), so a trip to Saint Cyr with picnic lunch and :sun:

Lots of these in the 'lake'

st_cyr_0505 (5).JPG

and a couple of these - this one managed to stay still long enough to have it's photo taken :rolleyes:

st_cyr_0505 (3).JPG

And a very nice bush :ohmy: - shall be trying to find one for the garden

st_cyr_0505 (2) (Medium).JPG

25km 1:08:00 max speed 57km/h ^_^

just a short meander on the mountain bikes. We were meant to be going to a certain pool nearby, but thought we would enter from the south and exit in the north, only the plan failed... so we ended up nowhere in particular, back where we started or totally lost depending on your point of view :whistle:

On the way, we did come across a lovely wooded area along what I think it Petty Pool Brook, and got these photos.

IMG_0497.JPG IMG_0501.JPG
There is Red Campion (the pink stuff), Hedge Garlic (white flowered stuff), Wild Garlic (more white flowered stuff), Bluebells (blue flowered stuff), Marsh Marigold (the yellow flowered stuff) along with some Cow Parsley (more but taller white flowered stuff!)

wasn't really trying to get any strava cups, didn't even know they were there, but managed 2 QOM's and a 2nd place (along with 3 other cups!)
http://www.strava.com/activities/137752877 just the 26km or so....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom