Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
bike monorail in gullivers kingdom, easy to spin out and the pedals were to close :smile:
monorail.JPG

Strava segments? :laugh:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Up early on a grey skies holiday Monday..
Left home just after seven avoiding pothole after pothole then a sharp rise up to route 75 where I headed past Kilmacolm, Bridge of Weir, Brookfield and Linwood to join route 7 heading towards Kilbirnie, passing through Kilbarchan and Lochwinnoch before heading along virgin cycle track for me. The early morning joggers and dog walkers were out in force.
Barr castle.jpg

Barr Castle nr Lochwinnoch

A quick right turn at Kilbirnie to join the road towards Largs and just outside the local cop shop a quick break for some water then a slow steady climb to Muirhead and Camphill reservoirs, I was glad to see the Hourat Toll road as this meant the worst of the ascent was over. A quick up and down ride then it was a slowish steep descent down the Haylie Brae as I haven't descended this road on a bike before in case I met any lumps or bumps..
I reached the bottom after sweeping around what used to be a tight bad bend obviously more sweeping now and the non slip surface gave it a freaky sensation, I remember gritting this road in the early '70s by hand into a towed spreader, no automated gritting lorries in those days.
Largs seafront.jpg

Largs seafront..

It was a quick drop along Largs Main St before heading out along the A78 heading to first Skelmorlie then Wemyss Bay, Inverkip towards Greenock. I can now see why forum regular @Brandane commutes over the back road into Greenock.. The road as it enters Greenock bottlenecks (go the A78 via Gourock as it is more scenic), the A78 Largs to Inverkip I had earlier travelled is bad enough!! I had my flou orange jacket on with all lights flashing:ohmy:
My choice of route through Greenock was done using local knowledge as rather than arriving in Port Glasgow and having to face another almost 500 ft ascent, I struck off into local estates but forgot I would first have a sharp climb before dropping slightly downhill to join my original route, legs were aching but onward and took a short cut through a local park where I would soon join the B788 for a short spell before dropping and joining route 75 this time heading east and not far from home EXCEPT I had a 40% short climb from the Devol Glen floor to do, I know a 40% climb on a cycle track but conquered with aching thighs(again). I headed along the level and found if I wanted to realise a 50ml total, I would have to cycle a lap or two around the local factories but soon I was at my back gate with just over 50 miles in the bag with just under 2,300 ascent in the bag...my second over 50ml this year.
Go Chubs:thumbsup:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
First sunny day for a couple of weeks since we were last on the tandem ( and the garden sort of took over), so a trip to Saint Cyr with picnic lunch and :sun:

Lots of these in the 'lake'

View attachment 44309

and a couple of these - this one managed to stay still long enough to have it's photo taken :rolleyes:

View attachment 44310

And a very nice bush :ohmy: - shall be trying to find one for the garden

View attachment 44311

25km 1:08:00 max speed 57km/h ^_^
Salix hakuro nishiki

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Back in the groove. 26 miles including a proper mile-long hill today. Gloucester to Stroud via Horsepools Hill, then looped back home via Frampton on Severn. Feels good to be back.
However, must moan about the state of the footpath on Horsepools Hill. I usually use the carriageway of the main A-road up from Gloucester to Edge, but there was a surprising amount of traffic today, and I wasn't sure whether I'd be well enough to get to the top without stopping, so I used the footpath instead. Over the years, I've seen more nasty, intolerant behaviour by drivers towards cyclists on this section of road than anywhere else I can think of, and slow cyclists often choose to avoid any trouble by riding the path instead. I know it is not labelled as a cycle path, but using it as such is now common practice and is in everyone's best interests. Unfortunately, due to a lack of maintenance, a combination of low hanging branches/brambles above, and masses of stinging nettles at the side reduced the path to a narrow obstacle course today. If the kerbs were not so deep and there had not been so much fast traffic, I would have hopped back onto the road. As it was, it felt like riding a tightrope, and I would definitely not recommend anyone else to ride this path. I have a horrible feeling someone is going to have a very nasty accident here, due to not being able to use the path. Come on Gloucestershire County Council. Get your arses into gear.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Up early on a grey skies holiday Monday..
Left home just after seven avoiding pothole after pothole then a sharp rise up to route 75 where I headed past Kilmacolm, Bridge of Weir, Brookfield and Linwood to join route 7 heading towards Kilbirnie, passing through Kilbarchan and Lochwinnoch before heading along virgin cycle track for me. The early morning joggers and dog walkers were out in force.
View attachment 44346
Barr Castle nr Lochwinnoch

A quick right turn at Kilbirnie to join the road towards Largs and just outside the local cop shop a quick break for some water then a slow steady climb to Muirhead and Camphill reservoirs, I was glad to see the Hourat Toll road as this meant the worst of the ascent was over. A quick up and down ride then it was a slowish steep descent down the Haylie Brae as I haven't descended this road on a bike before in case I met any lumps or bumps..
I reached the bottom after sweeping around what used to be a tight bad bend obviously more sweeping now and the non slip surface gave it a freaky sensation, I remember gritting this road in the early '70s by hand into a towed spreader, no automated gritting lorries in those days.
View attachment 44347
Largs seafront..

It was a quick drop along Largs Main St before heading out along the A78 heading to first Skelmorlie then Wemyss Bay, Inverkip towards Greenock. I can now see why forum regular @Brandane commutes over the back road into Greenock.. The road as it enters Greenock bottlenecks (go the A78 via Gourock as it is more scenic), the A78 Largs to Inverkip I had earlier travelled is bad enough!! I had my flou orange jacket on with all lights flashing:ohmy:
My choice of route through Greenock was done using local knowledge as rather than arriving in Port Glasgow and having to face another almost 500 ft ascent, I struck off into local estates but forgot I would first have a sharp climb before dropping slightly downhill to join my original route, legs were aching but onward and took a short cut through a local park where I would soon join the B788 for a short spell before dropping and joining route 75 this time heading east and not far from home EXCEPT I had a 40% short climb from the Devol Glen floor to do, I know a 40% climb on a cycle track but conquered with aching thighs(again). I headed along the level and found if I wanted to realise a 50ml total, I would have to cycle a lap or two around the local factories but soon I was at my back gate with just over 50 miles in the bag with just under 2,300 ascent in the bag...my second over 50ml this year.
Go Chubs:thumbsup:
I recognise those photos! :smile:
That's quite a ride Bobby; especially for one who claims that he doesn't do climbing :bravo:.
You're a brave man tackling the A78 between Largs and Skelmorlie too. Even if I can't muster the energy for the Loch Thom route, I would usually go over the Meigle Road which passes up the hill by Routenburn Golf Club at the north end of Largs, and takes you out on the A78 just south of Skelmorlie.
Well done on the 50 miles. I was working today but took the car, thanks to the forecast of heavy rain at home time. It didn't materialise, but of course if I HAD taken the bike........ :rain:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I recognise those photos! :smile:
That's quite a ride Bobby; especially for one who claims that he doesn't do climbing :bravo:.
You're a brave man tackling the A78 between Largs and Skelmorlie too. Even if I can't muster the energy for the Loch Thom route, I would usually go over the Meigle Road which passes up the hill by Routenburn Golf Club at the north end of Largs, and takes you out on the A78 just south of Skelmorlie.
Well done on the 50 miles. I was working today but took the car, thanks to the forecast of heavy rain at home time. It didn't materialise, but of course if I HAD taken the bike........ :rain:
@Brandane.
I was a local in the early 70s, had gone down for a day and stayed 6 years so know the Largs area well due plus I worked in the Roads dept...
I will try the Old Largs Rd someday...
Its Greenock just past IBM that is freaky..
Climbing?
Slowly but surely now.....

MikeG

Guru
.........Come on Gloucestershire County Council. Get your arses into gear.

They don't do road repairs, at all, ever.

At least, that was our conclusion after cycling through the county on our Lejog 3 years ago. Gloucestershire had the worst tarmac we saw on the entire trip.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
They don't do road repairs, at all, ever.

At least, that was our conclusion after cycling through the county on our Lejog 3 years ago. Gloucestershire had the worst tarmac we saw on the entire trip.
I was starting to think I was just a bit of a whinger .... after all, surely everyone thinks their own roads are the worst? Interesting to hear that your opinion backs up my own impressions.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
After a fastish fifty yesterday, a pleasant relaxed 10 miles for me with the kids along the Middlewood Way was in order. We set off from Bollington and went to Middlewood Station and back absolutely no rushing:becool:. Lots of other cyclists and walkers on the trail. Weather was good:sun: and the kids didn't winge at all. They seemed to like it, which makes me happy as they are not comatosed in front of the TV or some tech device. Stopping for an ice cream at Higher Poynton probably helped and gave them a bit of a rest. Daughter was chuffed to see horses and a family of Canadian Geese and seeing her little legs spinning the pedals still brings a smile to my face. We do have some great family cycling opportunities in the area and I need to do more of them with the kids, they both could have gone much further and only having to go to a barbecue this afternoon stopped us making a full day of it. :smile:

DSC_0194.JPG

DSC_0192.JPG
DSC_0195.JPG
DSC_0198.JPG
DSC_0196.JPG

Spartak