Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Well todays ride was, to sum it up, Absolutely bleeding fantastic, ^_^^_^^_^, really really enjoyed myself.

Set off this morning for my 1st ever ride with a local group that a certain @coffeejo helps run. This was the first time out with them so i was a little worried but what the hell, nothing ventured etc. Need not have been worried, great group all round so that was nice, and the fact they are so friendly and made me feel welcome went a long way.

Set off from Taunton along roads i know quite well and even though we ended up as two groups (don't ask) we all met back up in time to hit the coffee stop (pub) for a nice bit of food. I've driven past and rode past the pub many times without going in, now it is on my list of good places to eat :hungry:

From there it was all downhill back into Taunton, all in 28 miles but some serious hills done.

So, massive thanks to cycle Somerset group, even bigger thanks to @coffeejo for dragging me up Hare Lane, getting me out today and for generally being a nice all round person to chat to and cycle with. :cheers:

Next week, a 50 miler to Wells :bicycle:

A few pics.
:shy:

T'was a good day, despite the chaos and it was great to meet you at long last. Photos from me when I have a spare USB port.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I got Doug out on the bike again this afternoon - no running off to Glasgow to get out of it today.:laugh: I offered him a choice of routes and he opted for the shortest but hilliest - a ride up the Long Mynd.

Once on the road we progressed fairly well through Condover where we unexpectedly met @gavgav who was out on a hilly 40 miler. We had a brief chat then carried on to Leebotwood. The main climb starts just outside Leebotwood and is a steady slog for three miles through Woolstaston (drink stop) and up to High Park. Doug did pretty well up here but had to stop just after the steepest section and again a bit further up the road (although that was also to allow a car & caravan to pass). With a bit of gentle cajoling he made it to the top of this climb and we were able to enjoy the views back over the Shropshire plain.

Once rested we carried on again along the top. There were a couple more stops on the way but for photos this time before pressing on to the summit. At this point it was pretty clear that Doug was doing a lot better than I did the first few times I rode up here. I'm quite impressed.:thumbsup:

After Pole Bank we headed down again via the Burway. I advised Doug not to drag the brakes the whole way down the hill and told him about the incident I witnessed a while back where a rider who had done this blew a tyre near the bottom of the hill. In retrospect this probably wasn't the most tactful tale to tell :blush: and Doug was apparently very nervous of the descent.:shy:

We had a quick pit stop in Church Stretton then headed for home - Doug was feeling tired by now but he still managed to set a respectable pace on the way back.

We did 29.7 miles and managed 10 mph average which I think is pretty reasonable after the amount of climbing.

DSC0000842.jpg

Hi Gav :hello:

DSC0000843.jpg

Doug at Woolstaston.

DSC0000844.jpg

Looking a bit more tired near to the crossroads at High Park (approx 700' into the climb)

DSC0000846.jpg

Just past the cattle grid at the top and we've climbed 1046'

DSC0000850.jpg

I don't get in my own ride reports very often - this is near Shooting Box en route to the summit.

DSC0000851.jpg

We made it to Pole Bank. 1693' above sea level and 1246' higher than Leebotwood. Not a bad bit of climbing for an occasional cyclist.:thumbsup:

DSC0000854.jpg

On the way down and I took the opportunity to get a shot of the bikes at the top of the Burway

DSC0000857.jpg

On the way back we passed these microlights being prepped for flight. Coincidentally a couple of my flying lessons were in the blue one a few years back.^_^

Last edited:
Sometimes amazing things happen in life. Today was one of them. This is Chris Boardman with my Boardman road bike. Thanks to stans cycles in Shrewsbury who put a fabulous ride together - 19 miles of stunning countryside. I had a great time. Big thanks of course to Chris Boardman.

Lucky, lucky me!

Happy cycling, peeps wherever you are.

Mice

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 67

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Days like today in the Peak District are as rare as rocking horse sh!t. Not too hot, not too chilly. Almost no wind. Unbroken sunshine.

I'm still trying to get back in shape after a blowout holiday over Easter but this was too tempting so an hour spent plotting a route to use on my temperamental Garmin (more of that later) gave me a route of about 60 miles, 25 of which were new to me and about 6,000ft of climbing. Route was Glossop - Snake Pass - Bradfield - Bolsterstone - Penistone - Dunford Bridge - Glossop.

Up the Snake managed to catch a couple of guys so we shared the work down to Ladybower. Down into Bradfield then the real climbing starts, at which point I start to regret those Florida breakfasts. Here's the view from the top of the hill outside Bradfield, Strines is in the distance. It was at this point the base layer came off.

2014-05-03 11.33.36.jpg

Onwards to Ewden Village and the ridiculously difficult climb up to Bolsterstone. About 1km with a 14% average. My new bike has a 25 tooth max gear and there were times I was hallucinating about a 28. Decathlon seems to assume that if you're gonna buy a decent bike then either your (a) good enough to handle 14% with this gearing or (b) you live in Lincolnshire

Bolsterstone is a nice historic village. Here it is with a old water trough and a (now defunct) pump.
2014-05-03 11.52.30.jpg

Everything was going swimmingly, I felt good, the sun was shining and I was on some new lanes. Then the Garmin started playing up. Freezing, switching off completely. I ended up with three separate strava rides but at least I got home in one piece and didn't permanently go around in circles in "Gods own county" (yeah right). But I was knackered. The last 10 miles I just wanted to be home. Got back, ate the last cupcake, started to feel better straight away.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Took Mrs Donger out for a little walk around Symonds Yatt this morning, and intended to get out on the bike ASAP afterwards. Instead, ended up glued to my radio palpitating and hyperventilating for 90 minutes while my beloved Birmingham City contrived to inject every ounce of panic they possibly could into the relegation scrap, eventually staying up on goal diffference by virtue of a stoppage time equaliser. Phew!

Then went out on a wave of euphoria for a local 20 miler down the lanes to Frampton on Severn & back for only the second time since recovering from a horrible chest infection. Something isn't quite right with the bike (stiff and squeaky), and I'm still not at anything like 100% health-wise. Struggled a bit on the way back, but ended up being inspired by an earworm from the footy earlier. Whenever I really find the going hard, I always think of the words of the Blues' anthem "Keep Right On", which seems strangely appropriate for road cycling. It's an old scottish song, sung by Harry Lauder in the 1920s, and includes the words:

"Keep right on 'til the end of the road, keep right on 'til the end,
Though the way be long, ley your heart beat strong, keep right on 'til the end.
Though you're tired and weary, still journey on, 'til you get to your happy abode,
Where all you love and you're dreaming of will be there at the end of the road".

Over the last 30+ years, many are the times I've been at vital, crunch matches at St Andrew's when the crowd has been in the mood and belted that one out so loud it gives me goosebumps and makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. Judging by the noise on the radio, the 4,000 who travelled to Bolton today did it proud. They also had the strange side effect of getting a flagging, sickly cyclist home on the bike later on, thanks to the earworm. Funny where your inspiration comes from sometimes.

gavgav

Guru
My longest ever ride today!! :dance:
I set out with the aim of doing 40 miles for only the second time ever. It was glorious sunshine at 09:15 :sun:but a little chilly and so I opted for zip off trousers (as I thought it might get warmer later in the ride with the hills I knew I had to face) and a windproof jacket that arrived in the post this week ^_^.

I took a regular route to Upton Magna and had a friendly exchange with 2 ladies and their 3 rather plump dogs that were lay down resting on the off road path by the Sports Village. The 2 ladies were keen on me taking the dogs with me, as they said they "need a run"! By the looks of them that was very true :laugh:. I also had a nice big thank you from 2 girls on horses, for ringing my bell and to quote them "so nice to hear that bell and not be snook up on" :thumbsup:.

After Upton Magna I took the lane to Upton Forge, with a short bit of off road and had to stop to take my windproof layer off already, as the sunshine was warm enough to outweigh the cool, but light breeze.

Upton Forge
IMG_0549.JPG

It was then out onto the busier main road for about 1 minute and in that time I had 2 morons give me fast close passes :wacko:. The next section was up to Wroxeter and the Viriconium.

Viriconium
IMG_0551.JPG

There was some fair climbing that I had forgotten about as I wound up the other side of Eyton on Severn, where the racecourse was preparing for the Bank Holiday Monday Point to Point meeting and by the time I had done the steepest part of the climb I was warm and decided to zip my trousers off at the knee to become shorts!

View from my trouser to shorts change point!!
IMG_0552.JPG

I then took the busier road down into Cressage and a quick dash across the A458 and began the long climb up to Cound Moor. This section gets a gradient arrow, but I am not quite sure why, as there are far steeper climbs on the rest of the route to come, which don't get one :unsure:

After Cound Moor I was onto new cycling territory and the steep climb up to Kenley. The area looked absolutely stunning in the bright sunshine, with the yellow of the rape seed, the green of the trees and fields, beautiful colours. There was also what looked like a small castle in the distance, but not quite sure?!

What is this building @Rickshaw Phil ?
IMG_0554.JPG

I was glad of a nice bench that appeared at the next junction, following the steep climbing and took the opportunity to have a rest and a bag of crisps. As I was sat there, 2 ladies struggled up the hill and it turned out that 1 of them was the secretary of my Cricket Club!

I then pressed on and began about 5 miles of steep climbing through Church Preen, Broome and Chatwall. The views of both Wenlock Edge and the Stretton Hills made the climbing worthwhile though and the legs felt really good as I wound up the hills.

Fabulous Views
IMG_0556.JPG

After Chatwall I took another road that I had not been down before, which skirted the edge of The Lawley and into Lawley village. This is basically 3 miles of fabulous downhill cycling, with gradient arrows, punctuated with 2 short but steep climbs. It was sheer exhilaration as I hurtled down and hit 32.5 mph. There was one section that was a bit bumpy and I had to be careful not to over do it and come off the bike here:ohmy:

The Lawley
IMG_0557.JPG

I then had my 1 "moment" of the ride, which involved a squirrel darting out in front of me and then doubling back for more! I have no clue how I missed it and it must have been centimetres :surrender:.

I came out at the junction to Longnor and continued onto Ryton, where I stopped for lunch with this lovely view of the hills.

IMG_0558.JPG

The sun had gone very hazy now and the breeze had picked up a little and so it was quite cold for the downhill section into Condover and I was contemplating stopping to put my jacket back on, when who should I see coming the other way, @Rickshaw Phil and his brother who were out on a ride to The Longmynd (report above from Phil). I stopped for a short chat and also took the opportunity to put the jacket back on :cold:.

@Rickshaw Phil and Doug
image.jpg

It was then onto Atcham and Upton Magna again and I could see that I was going to fall just short of my 40 mile target and so did a loop down to Hunkington and back to make up enough miles that I knew would make it over 40 by the time I got home.

The rest of the journey was quite hard work with the legs tiring a bit, but i thoroughly enjoyed the ride and with all this new cycling territory recently I am beginning to realise just how beautiful Shropshire really is!

41.25 miles (my longest ride)
1736 ft of climbing
11.3 mph avg speed

Edit:- it's 10pm and just noticed I have sunburnt arms! Need to dig the sun cream out me thinks!

Last edited:

gavgav

Guru
Took Mrs Donger out for a little walk around Symonds Yatt this morning, and intended to get out on the bike ASAP afterwards. Instead, ended up glued to my radio palpitating and hyperventilating for 90 minutes while my beloved Birmingham City contrived to inject every ounce of panic they possibly could into the relegation scrap, eventually staying up on goal diffference by virtue of a stoppage time equaliser. Phew!

Then went out on a wave of euphoria for a local 20 miler down the lanes to Frampton on Severn & back for only the second time since recovering from a horrible chest infection. Something isn't quite right with the bike (stiff and squeaky), and I'm still not at anything like 100% health-wise. Struggled a bit on the way back, but ended up being inspired by an earworm from the footy earlier. Whenever I really find the going hard, I always think of the words of the Blues' anthem "Keep Right On", which seems strangely appropriate for road cycling. It's an old scottish song, sung by Harry Lauder in the 1920s, and includes the words:

"Keep right on 'til the end of the road, keep right on 'til the end,
Though the way be long, ley your heart beat strong, keep right on 'til the end.
Though you're tired and weary, still journey on, 'til you get to your happy abode,
Where all you love and you're dreaming of will be there at the end of the road".

Over the last 30+ years, many are the times I've been at vital, crunch matches at St Andrew's when the crowd has been in the mood and belted that one out so loud it gives me goosebumps and makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. Judging by the noise on the radio, the 4,000 who travelled to Bolton today did it proud. They also had the strange side effect of getting a flagging, sickly cyclist home on the bike later on, thanks to the earworm. Funny where your inspiration comes from sometimes.

Couldn't have left it much later could they!! It must be something to do with us Midlands teams (I'm a long suffering Shrewsbury Town fan and we have had a shocker of a season.!)

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
You have my sympathy. I have known many more terrible seasons than good ones myself. You'll have your year, though. When it comes, you'll enjoy it way more that any Man U or Chelsea fans.

I used to live not far from the blues ground. And I remember going to a game and seeing trevor francis and the Latchford brothers play

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just back in from 2nd ride of the day. 8.8 miles from home to the hospital and a lap of the car park. Its quite a big, long car park too. I just bimbled along in little ring having a nice time for 42:32, not hurrying at all as I know I have a longer ride planned for tomorrow. It was such a nice evening I felt that I just had to go out and ride in it. About 12mph average with an enormous 90 feet of climbing :laugh: thrown in for good measure.
Felt great and looking forwards to cycling into Norwich tomorrow to collect my new Garmin that I have ordered online from Halfords for £30 less than store price plus an extra tenner off for some reason that I shall not question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom