Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

laurence

Veteran
HELL!

the Marcelo wanted to go out, so i followed and ended up atop Box Hill. i am much too old for a 23 bottom gear! i stopped 3/4 of the way to take a photo of some of the painting on the tarmac and both legs cramped, so i lie on the grass screaming for a bit. then at the top i managed to let the bike fall over as i took photos and chipped some paint off. had a coffee, then headed home - it was already getting chilly after a mild start.

drizzle started shortly after that and my whole body started to freeze on the downhill sections. then it rained as i headed into Epsom. i was cold and wet by now. my body was aching, so i took an easy way home, avoiding any hills as my legs would seize.

Ride stats for the Box Hell bimble today:
Distance - 50.1km, 31.13 miles
Moving Time - 2:32:33
Elevation - 622m
Avg speed - 19.7km/h, 12.24 mph (abysmal)
Max Speed - 52.9km/h, 32.87 mph (poor)
Elapsed Time 2:52:33 (including taking photos, screaming with pain with cramp in both legs and double espresso)

the photos are on my phone and also on film, sorry.

HELL!

the Marcelo wanted to go out, so i followed and ended up atop Box Hill. i am much too old for a 23 bottom gear! i stopped 3/4 of the way to take a photo of some of the painting on the tarmac and both legs cramped, so i lie on the grass screaming for a bit. then at the top i managed to let the bike fall over as i took photos and chipped some paint off. had a coffee, then headed home - it was already getting chilly after a mild start.

drizzle started shortly after that and my whole body started to freeze on the downhill sections. then it rained as i headed into Epsom. i was cold and wet by now. my body was aching, so i took an easy way home, avoiding any hills as my legs would seize.

Elevation - 622m
Elapsed Time 2:52:33 (including taking photos, screaming with pain with cramp in both legs and double espresso)

Well I ensured when I bought the road bike that I had a 32 tooth rear gear so I can get up the hills - even the 18% White Downs

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
http://www.strava.com/activities/136501614

...... cycled to work this morning on my MTB, early finish so took a detour on the way home along the Ashton - Pill track before diverting off to climb up to the Leigh Woods MTB trails. Rode the Yer Tiz route twice :smile: ( slowly ! )

Great trail & the first time I've ridden it in the dry !
Stopped for a bag of chips on the way home ....... what a good day :rolleyes:

2014-05-02 12.04.39.jpg
2014-05-02 12.32.13.jpg

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
HELL!

Elevation - 622m

Sometimes it's best to quit while your behind, we've all had rides like that.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
No pics but just a quick 'freedom ride' of 11 or so miles across the fen. My legs have been giving me grief for a week or so keeping me out of the saddle. Brilliant to be back riding again and hope I'll be ok for a few months at least.

Buzzed over to Longmeadow for a much needed haircut, then along the path to White Fen and then up to the bird hide near Reach Lode (Tubney Fen).

Now I am a really miserable sod, and love having the hide to myself and nothing annoys me more than when some git turns up by car of all things to spoil my peace. I don't mind bikes obviously, but bloody cars should be barred from these quiet corners.

Anyway, it turned out he was a very nice bloke (despite his choice of transport) and we had a chat about what was about ( not much just redshank, a few grebes etc). He'd been ill recently so I felt a little guilty for my militant anti car thoughts. Who knows, with my leg problems which seem only to be getting worse these days, I may be in the same boat at some stage soon - though I can barely contemplate it.

Then on home through Reach and Swaffham Prior via the allotment to prepare for a frost- it's a glamorous life here in the flatlands.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just back from a quickie. We had to get back as the man from gumtree was coming to collect the old car bike rack.
We put in a 5 mile loop to the Garmin and let it do its stuff. Sadly it seemed to want us to go around a 1 mile loop 5 times. Far too boring so we went round once and then headed towards our usual short loop (missing out the first bit of wiggly back road). Once the Garmin had got the idea that we didn't want to go around in little circles, it picked our usual route around the block :laugh:
5.38 miles in a smidge over 25 minutes. Good job we got back early as our 3pm appointment turned up at a quarter to. I might go out again later this evening, to collect hubster from dialysis.

A lovely 15 miles this morning, usual route, with a couple of stops to take some pics...

20140503_113119.jpg

Priscilla at the Falkirk Wheel

20140503_112957.jpg

She likes looking at the water....

20140503_115416.jpg

Heading home on the towpath

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Train to Epsom, 30 minute walk, collected pre-loved tandem, rode it home solo a slightly longer route than intended.. ahem... due to an... well... how should I say... navigational error. Back on track Stopped en route for elevenses, a double espresso and a sausage roll at Tanhouse Farm, south of Newdigate, along with what seemed like the entire strength of the Addiscombe CC and various wheelers, many of whom asked if I had forgotten someone. Chortle.

Looked all morning like it should be hot but was actually pretty nippy all ride. 40km in total, inclusive of the pointless visit to Box hill.

Dangermouse

MousePower
Nothing special today, picked Eileen up from work and managed to avoid the York and Scunthorpe fans fighting on the pub carparks, so decided to give her bike a quick run out to make sure all the bolts are tight, cables working, the usual stuff, anyway all went according to plan and nothing dropped off in the 15 or so miles we went, didn't seem breezy all day but there was a chilly breeze when we were riding.....brrrrrr.
Lets hope we get a good day tomorrow as she is heading up our longest hill, doesn't get steep till the end bit but its about 2 miles long and a drag, you don't realise its a hill till the end but still, after 40 miles it will be a test for her leg...........:whistle:..........oh and her new weapon will be

2014-05-03125912_zps9cbf1b3c.jpg

Peteaud

Veteran
Well todays ride was, to sum it up, Absolutely bleeding fantastic, ^_^^_^^_^, really really enjoyed myself.

Set off this morning for my 1st ever ride with a local group that a certain @coffeejo helps run. This was the first time out with them so i was a little worried but what the hell, nothing ventured etc. Need not have been worried, great group all round so that was nice, and the fact they are so friendly and made me feel welcome went a long way.

Set off from Taunton along roads i know quite well and even though we ended up as two groups (don't ask) we all met back up in time to hit the coffee stop (pub) for a nice bit of food. I've driven past and rode past the pub many times without going in, now it is on my list of good places to eat :hungry:

From there it was all downhill back into Taunton, all in 28 miles but some serious hills done.

So, massive thanks to cycle Somerset group, even bigger thanks to @coffeejo for dragging me up Hare Lane, getting me out today and for generally being a nice all round person to chat to and cycle with. :cheers:

Next week, a 50 miler to Wells :bicycle:

Edit : That wooded hill is 19% in one place !!!!

A few pics.

Attachments

• Chasing chevrons 004.JPG
    Chasing chevrons 004.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 89
  • Chasing Chevrons 008.jpg
    Chasing Chevrons 008.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Chasing Chevrons 009.jpg
    Chasing Chevrons 009.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Chasing chevrons 014.JPG