Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
@Peteaud has already summed up yesterday's ride quite nicely, except he left out the bit about navigational chaos, though that's probably for the best.

It was hilly. I walked up a couple of bits so I didn't ruin my new bibs by toppling over sideways.

The view from Hare Lane. We cycled up to the top and then back down. (Don't ask - not my idea.) The sun finally came out on the way up so I stopped on the descent to admire the view in case it clouded over again. (It did. And then the sun came out. And then it clouded over. And then the sun came back out... and so on for the rest of the day.)

View from Hare Lane, Blackdowns 3may14 (800x600).jpg

By coincidence, just a few feet from where I stopped is a memorial for a military air crash in November 1945.

Air crash memorial on Hare Lane, Blackdowns 3may14 (800x600).jpg

"A terrible plane crash occurred in the fog on the Blackdown Hills, near morning. The crew of five and 22 passengers, all British Army personnel returning to India after leave, were killed - 26 outright, the other dying on the way to hospital. The aircraft, a Liberator of R. A. F. Transport Command, had taken off from the Merryfield R. A. F. Station, near Ilminster, some four or five miles away, at 10 a.m. Apparently it did not attain sufficient height to clear the hillside (which rises to 930 feet), struck a tree, caught fire and burned out in a field not far from Castle-Neroche..."

The newspaper report also described it as "a lonely spot". That has not changed in the seven decades since that awful day.

Looking up the road from the memorial:
Hare Lane, Blackdowns 3may14 (450x600).jpg

Having come back down Hare Lane, we then did a few more lumpy bits before tackling the hilly horror of the day, Folly Lane. As I said, I walked and admired the scenery...

Folly Lane, Blackdowns 3may14 (450x600).jpg

Folly Lane, Blackdowns 3may14 (2) (800x600).jpg

After lunch, we headed over the ridge and came down Adcombe Hill, which offered some splendid views of the village of Corfe and the countryside surrounding Taunton, but the descent was ruined by a large heap of gravel and sticks in the middle of the narrow lane at a corner, followed by even more gravel and a dodgy road surface. Need to head back into the hills this weekend to get my proper reward!

View of Taunton from Adcombe Hill, Blackdowns 3may14 (800x600).jpg

And then to home. 40 miles for me, including the ride from home and back.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
A short ride to day to the shops on my Whyte Coniston, I needed some tea bags (Earl Grey). It was a nice sunny morning, a bit chilly and very little breeze. I saw quite a few cyclists out today including a team of TT'ers. I decided I take the route back along a bridleway that I hadnt been along for about 12 years! I remembered why now, not a great bike route.

12 miles today, not bad for me I don't usually like to ride on days when I'm working, I can't seem to relax.
image.jpg

This old farm house has been done up quite recently mixing contemporary work with the old, looks very smart by the old ford.

image.jpg
image.jpg

I'm glad it wasn't muddy today!

Last edited:
This morning I wanted an early hilly(ish) ride out so planned a small 32 mile route to Normamby hall and back through Flixborough, we set off in cold overcast conditions and I had my jacket on........wish I hadn't now as it was quite warm after 20 minutes, anyway we did the longest steepest hill first to get it out of the way and Eileen coped with that very well, then up and down some easy hilly bits along the country lanes to the hall, it was a great ride out and much faster than I thought it would be, just over an hour riding time, but both of us thoroughly enjoyed it.

Gates to our new pad
2014-05-04105851_zpsdee24770.jpg

Eileen at the door
2014-05-04102907_zps979feec8.jpg

:laugh:

BSRU

A Human Being
A 5am depart for an imperial century, ended up doing 163.9km with about 1600m of going up, averaging just over 25kph:bicycle:.
It was flippin freezing for the first hour or so, Garmin stated -0.9, forecast was for +9:cold:.
Still strange how that the second half, the journey home is more enjoyable and faster the outward half.
Best part, at 140km a little chase up a 2km drag against a guy on a nice looking carbon road bike.
Despite giving him at least a 40 second head start, overtook him just before the top.
He was gasping for breath and I felt great, my "good morning" as I past was greeted by a grunt from him.
The ride means I have ridden over 500km for a week for the first time as well:thumbsup:.
Had a nice hot bath and now a walk to the shop to buy some cake^_^

D

Deleted member 1258

The Market Bosworth Battlefield the destination, 54 miles the journey, a lovely morning, bright, crisp with a little bit of breeze, that breeze got stronger as the morning wore on and seriously slowed me down and made me work on the way home, out of Coventry through Bell Green and Wood end onto Shilton. Withybrook and Monks Kirby, lovely conditions for cycling but a surprising lack of cyclist till I got to the Cafe, was riding past the Battle field when I saw the club riding towards me, they told me the Cafe was closed so I turned round and followed them in, turned out they had been to Shenton and had arrived before they opened, I was heading for Shackestone and the Battlefield Line, so I never made it where I was going and did a slightly shorter ride, but the best was yet to come, on the way home climbing through the woods on Purley Chase and they were covered in Bluebells
08 Spring 14 Purley Chase.jpg
09 Spring 14 Purley Chase.jpg
03 Spring 14 Purley Chase.jpg

The camera phone doesn't even come close to doing it justice, riding through those bluebell covered woods on their own was worth the effort put in this morning

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
66 miles today, absolutely loads of cyclists out and about today - I suspect there was a sportive going on as loads of the bikes had numbers on them. Was a tad windy and it seemed to be blowing from every direction but was more than warm enough for short sleeves. So May metric century done, hopefully get the imperial done on Tuesday

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Seem to have a cough/chest infection. Splendid, doing 111 miles next weekend for charity. Just what I needed.

Anyway, confined myself to a gentle perambulation around our local park on the tandem with TLH on the back for the first time. As suspected the brakes are awful two up and need sorting; ideally with some technology from 21st Century. We did ok, didn't fall off, didn't fall out and we only ended up in the hedge, laughing like loons, the once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom