Your ride today.... (part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I went out on the MTB today to the shops, Sainsbugs is a tad over two miles by bike along a bridleway all the way. I got my bits and cycled back, unloaded and changed, then discovered that the ground ginger I bought and paid for was not in my bag. Changed back into cycle gear back to Sainsbugs to see if anyone handed in my ground ginger, I finally discovered it in the waste bin by the self check out, cycled back home, just the 8.2 miles today.

Later when i put the bike away the rear tyre was flat. bollix!

Some people may not be back until xm as

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Did the Helix And A Round Town route (HaART) today as it starts pretty much at the end of my road. Loads of dog walkers that think they're the only people who can use the path, headphone wearing pedestrians and seemingly deaf people who can't hear a bell right behind them and the pedestrian groups that will spread out to fill the width of the path. Still good to be out on the bike and the rain waited till I got home.
http://www.strava.com/activities/183773833

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
not sure on the "as" but it is a reference to that fact that @Stonechat has yet to get back home (house was flooded by the Thames) after the floods at the beginning of the year (?) and is unlikely to get back before Christmas.

Edit: OK just sussed the "as"... goes with the "xm" :banghead: :laugh:
^^^Spot on. I can't' like @Stonechat post because I've seen the end result and upheaval the flooding caused less than 100m from my front door..

35 miles from Hawes, in the Yorkshire Dales, to Kirby Stephen and back. There was a bitter wind in my face for the first half and I ended up wearing two cycling tops, a cycling jersey and my rain jacket just to keep warm. The ride back was wind assisted and much more fun. A large part of the ride goes along the Mallerstang Valley and runs parallel with the Settle to Carlisle railway track. There seemed to be a lot of dead hedgehogs in the road (I passed at least eight) - which is very sad. There were a couple of kites soaring on the thermals around the hills at the side of the valley.

Average speed: 12.2 mph, top speed: 36.4 mph

View attachment 54101

The view down the valley heading north towards Kirby Stephen

View attachment 54102
please make a cake stop for me - or more accurately a sticky toffee pudding stop at the Hawes creamery restaurant/café. and should you fancy some really fresh Wensleydale, garb some mcvities digestives as well...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23692

31 miles this morning on the MTB, heading south out of Carlisle down to the B5305 (Penrith-Wigton road) and then meandering back via Raughton Head and Dalston. It was a lovely sunny day when I set off without a breath of wind, but it's definitely starting to get that autumn nip in the air. On the return leg the (head)wind had picked up and the rain clouds were starting to gather.

Here's a photo from near Hutton End looking towards Lakes

WP_20140823_11_20_03_Pro_zps0c99aead.jpg

And here's my new friend, who I found playing with pine needles in the middle of the road without a care in the world. He was even good enough to stick around for me to get my camera out and take the photo, after which i (with some difficulty) coerced him off the road back to the verge. He's called 'Scufty'

WP_20140823_12_01_14_Pro_zpsfa8f993d.jpg

Otherwise it was a pretty uneventful ride :smile:

Here's a map...

full.png

Garmin gen = 31.2 miles / 1470 ft ascent @ 14mph.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Today the enemy and I went out mainly off road, her on her Trek Hybrid 7500 and I took my Trek Superfly MTB, apart form a small trip yesterday its the first time I've been out on it for about two months, I of course had to repair yesterdays puncture first.

We cycled over to Goring from Pangbourne along the Thames Path, then on to The Ridgway from Streatley heading in the direction of East Ilsley then turned off towards Didcot stopping at Upton, where we have recently put an offer in on a house, then to Blewbury stopping at a garden centre for lunch, then headed back towards The Ridgway and followed our tracks back home.

31.44 miles today mainly off road, a bit hilly and some challenging surface. Great fun.

On the way back we saw and spoke to some T184 competitors along The Thames Path http://www.t184.co.uk/ , a self supporting 184 mile race along the path of the Thames. That is some serious nutter bastid racing that is, the four we saw were about half way through and the looked well and truly fecked.

IMG_1249.JPG

Stunning Views

IMG_1250.JPG

Some Fun Single Track
IMG_1256.JPG

IMG_1258.JPG

That big white house in the distance is over looking the river Thames.
IMG_1259.JPG

That's Didcot somewhere over there.

'
IMG_1261.JPG

A nice fast lumpy downhill.
IMG_1262.JPG

The greenery to the right covers up what used to be an old railway line that used to run from Didcot to East Ilsey

IMG_1264.JPG

Its great fun gong down that hill, but impossible to ride back up it.

Ridgway Ride August map2.png

Ridgway Ride August map.png

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Last time I used the Raleigh I did a shorter ride than intended due to the wind, thinking there would be better weather later on in which to complete my Metric Century a Month qualifying ride. I'm slightly regretting that now so with today being the only day that looks possible for me I headed out to get some miles covered.

It was lovely :sun: at the start but quite :cold:(first ride in trousers since early spring for me). With rain forecast for later I went for a route I know well to keep stops to a minimum so headed over Lyth Hill and towards Westbury, Melverley, Oswestry, Ellesmere, Wem, Shawbury and back via Upton Magna and Condover.

Although the Met Office says the wind speed was only about 10 mph today it felt like more than that and I was quite slow on the run into Westbury where I was riding directly into the wind. Fortunately it was either a cross wind or a tail wind after that which was much better.:thumbsup:

Being out earlyish on a Saturday meant quiet roads for the most part. There were a few other cyclists out (all quicker than me :blush:) which was good to see, and quite a few horse riders too. I made good progress to Oswestry where a quick bite of cake was taken and continued through Gobowen onto the NCN route (mostly ;)) to Ellesmere. This is quite undulating but didn't seem too bad this time with the wind behind me. I almost took a wrong turn (got confused and was all set to go right instead of left at New Crickett).

No stop at Ellesmere this time as I wanted to press on to keep ahead of the weather - didn't work though as the first spots of rain fell while passing Coptiviney and it turned into a proper shower by the time I got to Welshampton. That one passed and I thought I'd got away with it but a further deluge arrived at Lyneal and I got drenched through before I could get to my waterproofs :dry: so I thought I may as well just carry on.

I decided to stick with the B5063 all the way to Wem today (I usually branch off onto the lanes) and it paid off as with the wind helping I was able to cruise most of the way at around 17mph. There were signs of trouble though; I stood to climb one short sharp hill and the thighs just cramped up (probably due to getting wet earlier) forcing me to pull off the road. I got going again but it didn't feel great.

After Wem there is a hill to climb which I was really slow on but on the way down the other side was getting some good speed up. When a tractor & trailer overtook I was able to tuck into the slipstream and cruise at 30mph for a bit. :smile: I learned that this is not a particularly good idea when the road is wet.:shy:

A pause for a bite to eat followed and I really struggled to get going again - the legs just did not want to play any more so progress for the rest of the ride was steady with quite a few stops. In addition to getting wet I may have pushed on too hard early in the ride.:rolleyes:

Luckily I now know to go through Rodington Heath rather than following NCN45 to Upton Magna as it avoids two hills that I'd have struggled on today. The rest of the route was slow but steady and although more rain threatened, the worst of it held off until I was home and the bike was away.

73.9 miles today so the August metric century is covered. 13.4 mph average speed which I'm actually quite pleased with considering how slow I was from about 55 miles onwards.:thumbsup:

DSC0001451.jpg

"Not for swimming in. Only for dogs" :laugh: Seen on the way over Lyth Hill.

DSC0001453.jpg

Looking back up at where I've been - Little Lyth.

DSC0001454.jpg

The hills looked great in the sunshine this morning. Shame it didn't last.

DSC0001455.jpg

Getting held up by a train near Halfway House. I think this is the first time I've ever had to stop at this crossing.

DSC0001456.jpg

Crossing the canal at Hindford en route to Ellesmere.

DSC0001459.jpg

Much later in the ride now and the Bank Holiday "rush" to the coast is underway. Come Monday and many of them will be stuck in jams going the other way.:laugh:

DSC0001460.jpg

A view of the Stretton Hills again but this time round the weather doesn't look so enticing.

DSC0001462.jpg

Getting pretty wet over there and seems to be coming this way. It's just a couple of miles to home so the race is on!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom