Your thing in front of a thing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
Cuckoo Trail small.jpg

Here's my trike in front of an interesting woodcarving on the Cuckoo Trail in Sussex, yesterday. Anyone know any more about it ?

https://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/leisureandtourism/countryside/walks/cuckootrail/

I had some work in Eastbourne early morning, and then again in the evening - but nothing inbetween, so started planning. A ride from Eastbourne Leisure Centre gave me a route out from the town centre, a long-stay car park, access to showers afterwards, and all for £5.50 (Cost of adult swim +car park exit token). Apparently all day car parking there alone is £5.00.

The Sovereign Centre car park is next to the Leisure Centre, on Eastbourne seafront (Royal Parade, Eastbourne BN22 7LQ), and the signposts out to the Cuckoo Trail are good until the Morrisons supermarket (so head for Shinewater Park, via Bannatyne's Health Club / Travelodge, and head up to run alongside the A22 to avoid a dead end at Shinewater itself (DAHIKT). Almost all is off-road at the Eastbourne end, or on minor roads. North of Polegate it's all fairly well signposted, and at the Heathfield end there's free car parking (up to 24 hours), a Waitrose with a cafe and a toilet.

Last edited:

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
A hectic week at work needs an antidote: I had packed the ICE into the back of the car, and headed out early this morning from where I'm staying in Hythe, and took the coastal path/promenade all the way to Folkestone Warren viewpoint

Hythe dawn 18Oct18.jpg

The uphill out of Folkestone harbour was worth the effort for the view back down into the town, and I always get a buzz from leaving off the brakes on any descent.:eek:

Folkestone Harbour 18Oct18.jpg

https://www.discoveringbritain.org/...d/viewpoints/folkestone-warren-viewpoint.html

Stopped for bacon roll and mug of tea at Loaf, in Sandgate (https://twitter.com/loafsandgate) And no, it's never too early for cake.

Sandgate Castle 18Oct18.jpg

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
My Lepus in front of Rushbrooke Well House, near Bury St Edmunds.

Rushbrooke Well House small.jpg

I've cycled past this several times this year, and noted the iron hand pump within. This morning I was told it had been built to cover a well, so searched for some more info. According to Suffolk Heritage, it was built in 1600; the local I talked with said it had had some importance as it was on the route used by pilgrims en-route to the Abbey at Bury St Edmunds. A BT junction box on the south of the village is labelled as "Pilgrim's Meadow", and the cross on the top of the well house may be a further indicator of its link to the Abbey. The modern houses in the village were built by Lord Rothschild 1955-1963, but I did find a photo taken before the new houses were built.

BRO_K505_0873.jpg

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Fairly close to St. Edmunds' day, as well.

Patron Saint of Jumpers,

noel-edmonds-136409808097003901-160922160058.jpg

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
Top Bottom