Your very first ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Screenshot_2014-07-09-23-28-37.png

Riding is in my genes.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Got my first adult bike when i was 21 in 1994 and had started a new job. Picked up my Apollo aerotec 5600 hybrid from Halfords in town and cycled it home only for a pedal to fall of half way. Got it replaced and been on that bike for 20 years. New one is much better.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
So if we can't include childhood it'd be when i got a job at some old factory(1998) just off the canal bank,about 4 miles from home. I didn't have a car at the time so i bought an Apollo mountain bike from Halfords for 180 quid.Those journeys on the canal bank led to further journeys to different towns,then a better bike and longer journeys followed.

Last edited:
Got my first trike at maybe 4, first bike at 6, never stopped. First racer at 11, paid with pocket money. Dad even allowed me to negotiate the price. At 11, I was riding about 3 miles to school. First mountain bike at 17. Rode through uni around South Wales. Commuted about 20miles a day with first job ( forced to buy car after a year a new job). Started MTB racing mid 90s. Rode my first 50 at 14. First 100 at 26.
So far just over 40 years of riding, hopefully at least another 40 to go.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I remember getting back into cycling after getting a bicycle for a good price at our parish sale. I had to go to a meeting at a nearby church, something to do with the homeowners association, and I used the bike for the trip, 3.2 miles in 28 minutes,10 September, 2006, according the records.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Guys,i said childhood excepted.I was referring to rides since you took the hobby up seriously,in recent times not as young sprogs.:smile:
I took it up seriously when I was a child, and so have many others on these fora. So why the arbitrary restriction? I'd be more than happy to mention my first childhoold bicycle ride, but I guess there's no point mentioning it in this thread :sad:.

Big Nick

Wobbling a Raleigh Chipper (the smaller version of the Chopper) down my back garden when my Dad taught me to ride when I was 5 years old, what a great memory that this thread's reminded me of

Cycling continued on a red Raleigh Chopper followed by my first road bike a Raleigh Tour De France in my early teens

I then discovered motorcycles at 16 and the cycle as a mode of transport was largely forgotten about for nearly 30 years.....I making up for it now though!!

U

User33236

Mine was on my first proper road bike in around 1995. It was a white Peugeot I bought second hand from the LBS and I went for a ride of about 8 miles along the coast in Greenock. Wasn't till I hit the hill on the way back to the house I realised I needed more fitness training :smile:

galaxy

Veteran
Circa 1983 my Middle Brother went to Bob Jacksons and had a hand made touring frame, then spent a year or so building it into a lovely touring bike. I was on ore of the whole project, and as a keen 12 year old joined him on a few local rides in the North East. His Girlfriends Dad, a keen cyclist gave me a Vintage Carlton Flyer(or so the scratced stickers said), in 531. I spent the following winter doing a respray and with the help of my parents, friends and doing my paper round collected enough equipment to put the bike together. I spent that year just riding my bike as much as possible, clocking up approx 5,000 miles.The only trouble was the bottom bracket was quite badly worn and would regualr square of bearings.So the day before christmas eve Mum took me to Denton cycles in Newcastle, and i came away with a xmas pressie of a lovely 531 burgandy touring frrame. I enjoyed a excellent year of riding, being lucky enough to spend a lot of weekends riding to and from and all over Weardale, as thats where parents Caravan was.In the September of that year i was kindly knocked off and the bike written off.At that time Brother was looking to sell the Bob Jackson to fund a new venture, so i beacame the proud owner of that bike.At that time i got hooked on Time Trialling and spent untill the age of 20 Trilling. Having always owned a bike since then, i have only returned to regular cycling of late.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I took it up seriously when I was a child, and so have many others on these fora. So why the arbitrary restriction? I'd be more than happy to mention my first childhoold bicycle ride, but I guess there's no point mentioning it in this thread :sad:.
Yep, childhood simply merged into adulthood as far as cycling is concerned. Had several breaks from regular cycling over the years for various reasons, but always owned a bike of some description. So by definition there must have been quite a few first rides over the years.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Between jobs in 1988 I spotted a Raleigh Maverick one day in a bike shop window in Harrogate. I knew straight away that it was just what I wanted so walked in and bought it for £199.99 on my Barclaycard. The shop owner took the payment and didn't even hold the door for me; I rode it seven miles home in ordinary clothes with the tyres soft and the saddle too low. By half way home I was tired and when I got home I was absolutely shattered; a neighbour said she had passed me and I appeared to be struggling and she had considered offering me a lift in her VW Kombi. I didn't touch it for another three months but then I started to think "People ride bikes for hundreds of miles! I should be able to go further than seven!" I slowly got into mountain biking and the rest is history, almost.

Twenty years later I'd had enough of the mud and wear and tear and the attitude of some club-mates and I began to lose my cycling mojo. Then one day I FOUND a carbon road bike in a river, took it to the Police and a month later they gave it back. I started road riding and realised I loved it but my horizons were very small - even Chipping, 12 miles away, seemed like a big ride, despite my having done 40 to 50 mile Polaris trailquests on the mountain bike. Nowadays I nip over to Chipping on a winter morning for a coffee and it feels like a short trip.

NorvernRob

57 miles and 4,500ft of climbing including Holme Moss.

That's not bragging, it pretty much broke me and I was so knackered I've no idea how I managed to get home. I must have stopped 20+ times just to get something back in my legs. In hindsight it was a stupid idea, but I remembered riding to Skegness (86 miles) when I was 15 and thought 50 miles would be ok. It wasn't.

galaxy

Veteran
I remember a mate joining a local cycling club and setting for the services at Scotch Corner.Having made it there realised it was to far rang his Dad for a lift home.Having just collected a new car his Dad was delighted to drive down there and pick him up.Lol

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
57 miles and 4,500ft of climbing including Holme Moss.

That's not bragging, it pretty much broke me and I was so knackered I've no idea how I managed to get home. I must have stopped 20+ times just to get something back in my legs. In hindsight it was a stupid idea, but I remembered riding to Skegness (86 miles) when I was 15 and thought 50 miles would be ok. It wasn't.
But....
.-08-RAILWAY-POSTERS-GREAT-NORTHERN-RAILWAY-GNR-SKEGNESS-IS-SO-BRACING-JOLLY-FISHERMAN.-625x1024.jpg

Top Bottom