Your 'view' on rear-view accessories...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I have been using a helmet/eyeglasses mirror for 35 years. I don't know if it's "cool" but I really don't care! Only a KID worries about looking cool when SAFETY is involved. A mature person is beyond that. I won't say that the helmet/eyeglasses mirror is the best, but after trying various bike-mounted mirrors, I think it works the best for me. I like being able to "sweep" behind by turning my head slightly. It takes a little practice to get used to, but once you get used to it, you'll find yourself looking for that mirror, even when walking on the pavement! LOL NOW...I'm coming to visit the UK for a few days, and hope I can find one for your side of the road!

enjoy your trip to London threefingerjoe. Should take you about 15 minutes to work out, once there, that the only thing that matters in the London cycling scene is how cool you look. The streets are infest with a plague of tragic hipsters.

henshaw11

I won't say that the helmet/eyeglasses mirror is the best, but after trying various bike-mounted mirrors, I think it works the best for me. I like being able to "sweep" behind by turning my head slightly. It takes a little practice to get used to, but once you get used to it, you'll find yourself looking for that mirror, even when walking on the pavement! LOL NOW...I'm coming to visit the UK for a few days, and hope I can find one for your side of the road!

I've got a (correct sided - bought via ebay uk) take-a-look mirror which mounts on my cycle specs, and I do the same sweep thing - most of the time I ride a 'bent so can only get my head so far round, the mirror makes a huge difference, particularly when pulling across lanes on fast roads. I don't feel I need it on an upright tho'.

PaulB

Legendary Member
My favourite subject. I don't like big mirrors so I go for one that is much smaller and comes with a wrap-around fixing that fits around the bottom of the drops. I rip that off, cut the mirror mounting to leave just the rotating element, file down a bar end then super-glue the mirror mounting on to the bar end, stuff that in the hole in the bar and hey presto! While looking in the same direction you are heading, you can see what's behind you and eliminate any nasty surprises or stealth approach. I dreamt of this last night and the name came to me but I forget it now.
I have another one on one of my other bikes but that is fixed and secured under the bar tape so you can't switch that between bikes. It was from an American company called Velo-something.

Top Bottom