Your 'view' on rear-view accessories...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daniel T

Hi guys,

My commute is just under 44 miles (round) and is mainly rural/semi rural, and it's become quickly apparent that some form of rear view help is needed. I have difficulty just 'snapping' my head back quickly to check, due to some restriction from injuries (although I do this when needed)

I only really hit junctions 10 times in the journey, and the majority of the ride is semi quiet rural/A roads. Being able to constantly be aware of whats behind me would make the journey a lot more leisurely, and help me to asses approaching traffic/ride more defensively when needed.

What is your experience/ pros & cons of the following: (One a side note - which ones look the gayest?)

1. drop bar mirror attachments
2. helmet mirrors
3. swivel mirrors (the ones that tack inside of your sunglasses)
4. external glasses attachments

Any help appreciated!

:becool:

You've missed one...and by all accounts it is the favourite. Bike Eye

BSRU

A Human Being
You've also missed Mirricycle, attaches to the top of the brake lever assuming it's a compatible brake lever.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
wouldn't you just see your leg on that bike eye one?
i've been looking into mirrors myself, and the 'stealth' option came up with those frame mounted mirrors. i was just wondering if all i'd actually see is my knee hehe.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
You've also missed Mirricycle, attaches to the top of the brake lever assuming it's a compatible brake lever.

I have a drop bar mirror - a round thing on a little stalk where you can adjust the angle. However what I mostly get is a view of my right knee - although it is still handy for monitoring what is coming up behind. It may be that I just haven't adjusted it properly. And when cycling with someone else and looking to see how far behind they are* I need to move my knee out (i.e. to see directly behind).

It also gets knocked easily when leaning the bike against things - but on the other hand it just takes a quick tweak to put it right, which can be done while riding.

*this only happens with one or two people less fit than me!

Norm

The Bike-Eye looks along (in my case) the RHS of the top tube and under the saddle. If my right pedal is down, then I just see my right leg, but at most other points of the pedal stroke, my leg is completely out of the way.

If you use a large seat pack or rack, a Bike-Eye might be obscured. However, I've got one on each of my road bikes and I love the thing. It's tucked against the top tube so it's barely noticeable and out of harm's way, and it gives a clear view of the road directly behind me, without worrying about only seeing my elbows. The rear view is especially good on country roads, where you get very early warning of following vehicles (if the road is straight, of course!).

They are also useful if you are riding in a group, it's easy to keep an eye on someone wheel-sucking.

They are heartily recommended by me.

Bicycle

As a child (1970s), I was told by responsible, serious-minded adults who cycled that mirrors were not a good idea.

Apparently they 'distracted the rider' and gave a false sense of wellbeing, so heads were not turned to take a peep rearward.

The absolute and unshakeable truth of this was demonstrated by pointing out to me that the only bicycles one saw with mirrors in those times were Raleigh Choppers.

As a young man (1980s) I was told by responsible, serious-minded adults that not having mirrors on my motorcycle was 'suicide'.

They failed to grasp that an Italian sports bike with clip-ons would look wrong with mirrors, even bar-ends, and that death was a low price to risk paying for the right look.

As an older man, I now find I'd quite like to know what's about to hit me (or otherwise) from the rear on a bicycle.

I'm interested to hear whether those mirrors I see on the end of drops are any good.

I think my hair is just about grey enough and my neck just about stiff enough to warrant fitting one...

abo

wouldn't you just see your leg on that bike eye one?
i've been looking into mirrors myself, and the 'stealth' option came up with those frame mounted mirrors. i was just wondering if all i'd actually see is my knee hehe.

Yeah I was wondering about that myself. Funnymummy has a bike eye. C'mon missus, give us a review please? :biggrin:

potsy

Rambler
For once norm is spot on with his review, I have one and it does come in handy but I am finding I use it less and less these days, prefering to look over shoulder a lot more, previously I would struggle to keep a straight line whilst doing so.
I have a seatpost rack and panier on my bike which does obscure a large proportion of the view, but it is something once fitted you can forget about as it is tucked nicely out of the way.

I have also used the one numbnuts links to, much better visibility as long as you do the velcro strap up tight to minimise road buzz.
Main problem is the extra width this gives to your bars, not great if you do a lot of filtering.

Top Bottom