Your walk today...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Re last sentence - I didn't know that.

I much prefer walking to cycling tbh - especially mountain hiking & scrambling. 6 -10 hours hard graft in The Fells gives a great workout; especially for the older chap. ^_^

Aye; think it's a pretty well-known issue since you're working your muscles but not actually supporting any weight. I like walking for the sake of getting out and while I do find it mentally beneficial it's not to the same extent as a good ride IMO :smile:

Zanelad

Guru
I walk the dog for an hour or maybe a little longer each weekday. Saturdays and Sundays we're out for a couple of hours. She likes Sundays best as we often stop at an Italian Bistro. I have a cappuccino and a sausage in chiabatta and she has a sausage or two.
20220603_115718.jpg

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
I like walking for the sake of getting out and while I do find it mentally beneficial it's not to the same extent as a good ride IMO :smile:

….it’s as well we’re all different isn’t it: I’m the opposite.

As an overall workout - I’m sure even my very brisk walking isn’t as effective as a reasonably paced cycle ride perhaps.

But I do find you generally need (These parts, my routes ?) to concentrate on cars, pedestrians, cadence / gearing, road signs, pot-holes blah blah when cycling……which of course requires some concentration.

As an overall ‘package’ I find I can switch off to life more when walking; get some relaxing / thinking time in - and just keep on plonking one foot infront of another with little else required.

YMMV - however you achieve them 👍

OP
OP
Jameshow

Jameshow

Veteran
….it’s as well we’re all different isn’t it: I’m the opposite.

As an overall workout - I’m sure even my very brisk walking isn’t as effective as a reasonably paced cycle ride perhaps.

But I do find you generally need (These parts, my routes ?) to concentrate on cars, pedestrians, cadence / gearing, road signs, pot-holes blah blah when cycling……which of course requires some concentration.

As an overall ‘package’ I find I can switch off to life more when walking; get some relaxing / thinking time in - and just keep on plonking one foot infront of another with little else required.

YMMV - however you achieve them 👍

Brisk walking I'd think is on par with a sedate cycle ride tbh..

On the other hand running would equal a level 4 bike ride imho.

presta

Guru
Around 6.5 miles along the tow path
I walked that towpath up to Lower Heyford and got the train back last time I was inOxford.
My last holiday in 2019 was walking the Oxfordshire Way, it goes between Henley and Bourton on the Water, skirting north of Oxford through the Blenheim estate, and it's all do-able by public transport using Oxford as a base.

I've done the Thames Path too, which goes through Oxford (obvs). I did the source to Radcot Bridge based at Cirencester YHA, to Tilehurst from Oxford YHA, to Walton from Streatley YHA, then through London to Slade Green commuting from home. Again, it's all possible by public transport from those bases.
No way of measuring the distance
I use Plotaroute for measuring my walks, it goes where you tell it rather than trying to pick your route for you like some apps.
Also has brashers but I hear the quality isn't what it was?
I used to like Brashers, I had several pairs whilst K-Shoes made them but had to give them up when Guimar took over the franchise and changed the design so that they were no longer wide enough. K-Shoes then made an almost identical clone called the Wainwright, but I don't know whether they still do, this was all about 25 years ago.

They're a good lightweight boot for walking on paths, but they can tire your feet quite seriously if you start walking a lot of virgin moorland and pathless stuff, because the soles aren't really stiff enough for it.

wafter

I walked that towpath up to Lower Heyford and got the train back last time I was inOxford.
My last holiday in 2019 was walking the Oxfordshire Way, it goes between Henley and Bourton on the Water, skirting north of Oxford through the Blenheim estate, and it's all do-able by public transport using Oxford as a base.

I've done the Thames Path too, which goes through Oxford (obvs). I did the source to Radcot Bridge based at Cirencester YHA, to Tilehurst from Oxford YHA, to Walton from Streatley YHA, then through London to Slade Green commuting from home. Again, it's all possible by public transport from those bases.

I use Plotaroute for measuring my walks, it goes where you tell it rather than trying to pick your route for you like some apps.
Nice work - that's a fair old distance.. have ridden home that way a few times but the tow path's pretty nasty for most of it; at least for cycling.

I have a couple of friends who are well into their cycling and walking; I think they've done both of those routes (or part of) before. Not sure if you're aware but the Oxford YHA has now been demolished to make way for the enlarged train station... I think that building was partially responsible for me getting my Routier as it housed all the smackheads during covid and they left all the knackered bikes they'd nicked lying around in the general area.. :rolleyes:

Tbh I could have a stab at measuring the walk but I'm not overly bothered, ta - Google maps tells me it was 6.6 miles from Kiddy to Oxford, then I spent the rest of the time aimlessly wandering around for another hour or so probably ballpark 10 miles. Not a bad mosey anyway but I was glad of the bus on the way back!

presta

Guru
Not sure if you're aware but the Oxford YHA has now been demolished to make way for the enlarged train station
No, I wasn't, that's a bit of a bummer, I'd been toying with the idea of going back for one last time this year. I suppose they'll get around to building another sooner or later, it must have been one of the money-spinners.

wafter

No, I wasn't, that's a bit of a bummer, I'd been toying with the idea of going back for one last time this year. I suppose they'll get around to building another sooner or later, it must have been one of the money-spinners.

Aye; I was surprised given how relatively recently built it appeared to be. As you suggest, large sums of money probably lubricated that decision...

Here's the current state of the area; apparently:

Last edited:

yello

Cool thread. I'll take my camera tomorrow.

Me, my wife and our dog have a 5km circuit we do most days, takes just shy of an hour. We got rained on today, not that anyone minded.

My wife is a brisk walker and I have to push it a bit to keep up, that's good for me I guess. Coincidentally, I was talking about walking v. cycling with my wife just this very walk. I find cycling easier, almost as if I'm built more for it. I'm quite a ploddy walker and it never really feels comfortable (worse still when I run!) I've never been a quick walker (I get left behind on organised walks) and have always preferred to saunter/dawdle. Not only do I find walking quickly to be physically more difficult (than dawdling or cycling) I also find I am less attentive to my surroundings when I walk quickly. I'd rather admire the landscape than be aware of the action of walking.

OP
OP
Jameshow

Jameshow

Veteran
Cool thread. I'll take my camera tomorrow.

Me, my wife and our dog have a 5km circuit we do most days, takes just shy of an hour. We got rained on today, not that anyone minded.

My wife is a brisk walker and I have to push it a bit to keep up, that's good for me I guess. Coincidentally, I was talking about walking v. cycling with my wife just this very walk. I find cycling easier, almost as if I'm built more for it. I'm quite a ploddy walker and it never really feels comfortable (worse still when I run!) I've never been a quick walker (I get left behind on organised walks) and have always preferred to saunter/dawdle. Not only do I find walking quickly to be physically more difficult (than dawdling or cycling) I also find I am less attentive to my surroundings when I walk quickly. I'd rather admire the landscape than be aware of the action of walking.

Happy to be of service!

Top Bottom