Your walk today...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Today's effort. Helm Crag Ridge, Grasmere, Lake District.

7.24 miles / 2139' ascent / 2.3 mph moving speed.

Very hot day, tarmac on access lane to Fells had lots of small tar bubbles on the surface.

Plenty of stops, heavy load of fluid taken and consumed.

Slowly building up fitness following long layoff due to illness. Particularly keeping an eye on my fluid intake and heart rate.

Route.

Screenshot_20230616_170913_Connect.jpg

Couple of quick pic's.

20230616_104145.jpg

20230616_094912.jpg

Stats.

Screenshot_20230616_171050_Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20230616_171002_Connect.jpg

Screenshot_20230616_171131_Connect.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Lovely 10 miles yesterday.
I parked in Youlgreave and headed down to the bank of the River Bradford to pick up the Limestone Way.

DSC_2990.JPG

Leaving the River, I headed up a steep hairpin path where there was a group of, possibly, 20 be-rucksacked kids on a hiking expedition. Much as it was good to see them out in the fresh air, that many 14/15 year olds kind of broke the tranquility. I passed most of them, and exchanged hello's, as they were stopping quite frequently.

Once at the top, I was on tarmac for ½ a mile before the footpath cut across fields until a really steep set of limestone steps dropped me down into Lathkill Dale.

DSC_3003.JPG

DSC_3005.JPG

DSC_3007.JPG

Probably a couple of hundred steps, some a bit crumbly!

DSC_3008.JPG

From this point, I was on a route I'd done before up towards Ricklow Quarry where I wanted to look for some fossils. As it's a protected SSSI I didn't take any from the site but away from there, there's still plenty to find.

DSC_3017.JPG

Fossilised shells in a dry stone wall.

The walk back down Lathkill Dale was quite quiet for a Friday afternoon.
Near Over Haddon, I needed to climb the slopes out of the Dale and back across fields of bovine things to Youlgreave.

DSC_3016~3.JPG

Guarding the footpath was this beauty!!

Safely back to the car, ready for a few miles on the Brommie, on 10 miles, which is about my walking limit without feeling knackered!

Screenshot_20230623-203628~2.png

Screenshot_20230623-203536~2.png

Last edited:

dicko

Guru
Not exactly today but Tuesday last. Our last day on holiday in Llandudno we decided to walk up and around The Great Orme. This 9km circular trail taken us about 3 hours stopping for a brew and a toilet break about half way. This is a very popular route for cyclists of all ages more so with older folk on electric bicycles. After recovering we took the Fernicular railway to the top and walked back down to Llandudno pier.
A grand day out it was too for me and Mrs.

Attachments

• IMG_3441.jpeg
    IMG_3441.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3428.jpeg
    IMG_3428.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3429.jpeg
    IMG_3429.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3422.jpeg
    IMG_3422.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3416.jpeg
    IMG_3416.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3417.jpeg
    IMG_3417.jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 2

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Not exactly today but Tuesday last. Our last day on holiday in Llandudno we decided to walk up and around The Great Orme. This 9km circular trail taken us about 3 hours stopping for a brew and a toilet break about half way. This is a very popular route for cyclists of all ages more so with older folk on electric bicycles. After recovering we took the Fernicular railway to the top and walked back down to Llandudno pier.
A grand day out it was too for me and Mrs.

Lovely. I think a stage of a recent Tour of Britain finished there recently. Also popular with rock climbers. The limestone sea cliffs are bolted in places

dicko

Guru
The climbing stage are below Marine Drive. The most famous being Lower Pen Trwyn (ctagsasked by little black logos). Think I have been there once but was too hard for me

View attachment 696140

Ahh I see now the climbing is between the sea and Marine drive. Along that stretch between the Marine Drive and the summit it looked very unstable as we walked that road.

dicko

Guru
The climbing stage are below Marine Drive. The most famous being Lower Pen Trwyn (ctagsasked by little black logos). Think I have been there once but was too hard for me

View attachment 696140

Where the map says ‘Pigeons Cave’ there was a man down there with all his fishing tackle. There is a dirt path the sheep or goats use to get down there. He parked his car in ‘Pigeons Cave’ just off the road. Wish I had photos of it to show.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Some of you people live in lovely parts of the country :smile:
My walk today, crappy lane with horses poo, crossed the road with sticky tar, carried on the cycle path with very rude cyclists that don't have a bell, finished up crossing the park and seeing a man up to no good :ohmy:
Still I'm in sixth place with the garmin step challenge at 51,516 that will do me

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Up North of Lowestoft 🤣 for Son no 3’s Graduation (Maths at Durham). In Newcastle for a few days: so took time out to visit the lovely Whitley Bay for the first time…..

Attachments

• IMG_9121.jpeg
    IMG_9121.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9116.jpeg
    IMG_9116.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9124.jpeg
    IMG_9124.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9128.jpeg
    IMG_9128.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9119.jpeg
    IMG_9119.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9120.jpeg
    IMG_9120.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9131.jpeg
    IMG_9131.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9122.jpeg
    IMG_9122.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 3

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Congratulations to son #3!

That looks like a nice beach.

How much were the traditional fish & chips?

Thanks 🙏

We’re spoilt in Lowestoft. But this was as good as anything I’ve had (Rated best in Town on most reviews). Medium’ish Cod and Chips was £11.50. Not awful by any means…..

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
That's quite a bit more than I used to pay, but the chippy I shopped at closed down during the pandemic. The last time I bought F&C there was probably 4 years ago and obviously prices have gone up a lot in that time.

For a place of this quality - £11.50 is on the cheap side these days; I’d say.

That’s right up with the cheapest in Lowestoft - and we’re supposed to be a deprived area ! Up the Coast at the higher end town of Aldeburgh (Again highly rated shop on Tripadvisor) they run around £13-£14. And my wife works in a glorified sea-front cafe in Lowestoft where they are around £15…..served and sitting down of course. **She had customers from London in recently who said their local takeout Fish and Chips was nearly £18 😳

Portion of medium chips was £3.50 in yesterdays joint for reference. And is more often than not £2.50 odd these days in places where we eat.. Since the Ukraine war, oil, fuel, wage increases - the lowly cooked spud pricing has shot up horrendously…..

Bon appetit ! 😎

Top Bottom