Your walk today...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
No pics - sorry.

Short and v.easy flat route with Mrs SD as I am trying to ease my painful left knee back up to speed - overdid gym plus slipped in the garden; a proper double whammy.

Started in Kendal, down the old canal path and decamped on an old stone bridge that used to cross the now filled in canal.

Finished with a nice coffee in Kendal watching the world go by.

Screenshot_20230828_162159_Connect.jpg

SpokeyDokey

Short walk today - 4.6 miles, 2.6mph average speed, 3.2mph average moving speed (stopped for 4 chats with people I know en-route).

Happy with my knee progress.

Lovely day - spent some time watching a Buzzard hunting. What big buggers they are!

Couple of pic's:

GarminConnect_20230831-123707.jpg

20230831_110906.jpg

Screenshot_20230831_125035_Connect.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Yesterday's 8 mile walk (then ride) was an away day to Thorpeness & Sizewell, on the Suffolk coast. The last times I've been to the area was at the end of a couple of Dunwich Dynamo's.
With the weather forecast not being wonderful, rain spreading in during the afternoon, I'd taken full waterproofs but ended up with them stuffed in the backpack along with a drink & some snacks. It was T Shirt weather and I wish I'd had worn my shirts!

1000028050.png

1000027614.jpg

The Suffolk Coast footpath has numerous access points to the beach, with this one having wartime defences.

1000027716.jpg

The original plan was to circumnavigate Sizewell Nuclear power station along the coast then back via Sandlings Walk & Dunwich Forest. Unfortunately, as Sizewell 'C', the new development site, management had other ideas and closed the permissive footpaths on the landward side 😔

1000027706.jpg

Anyway, I backtracked, thinking that if the nuclear people say "No", they really mean it.. I'd already seen armed police patrolling the area and Drones flying around!

1000027682.jpg

Once back to the car, parked in Thorpeness, I had a breather then got the CX out of the boot for a 10 mile bimble around the area.

As a lot of the paths are sandy it was quite tiring on the legs!

😊

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Pleasant, but foggy, 4¼ miles around Harleston Firs (part of the Althorpe Estate of Diana fame) this morning before it got too hot for Bonnie 🐶

1000028494.png

1000028492.jpg

1000028490.jpg

The arachnids are getting ready for Christmas 🤶

1000028491.jpg

Relatively easy walk with only gentle slopes rather than being too lumpy!

As I was parked outside a garden centre, I popped in to buy some winter plants.. 🌿

Back home for a couple of coffees & a bacon sarnue 👌

Last edited:

Windle

Über Member
A brief walk over part of Cockfield Fell with the wife and the second picnic of the week! Looking down at the river Gaunless. The building on stilts (top left / middle) is an odd one, I'm not sure if it's built like that to be clear of any flooding or more likely it's an old railway building with the floor at wagon height for offloading (this is the area of the Haggerleases branch line).

GOPR0408.JPG

Wider shot of the general area with sunset (yes, the nights are drawing in), showing where the road goes over the river then kinks right, then left and up the other side of the valley, before kinking right again to head off east towards High Lands and Toft Hill. Last years TOB came through this very spot on Stage 3, Durham to Sunderland, a much more interesting stage than any of this year's in my opinion, especially with the biblical downpour over the latter half of the stage!

GOPR0411.JPG
Edited to include a blurry shot of last year's TOB.
SAM_1479.JPG

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

Lazy wander up & down Bridlington seafront plus 'piggy' chips. Stamford Bridge road sign en-route - 'snapped' as we are both CFC fans.

A very hot day with lots of sea mist.

Screenshot_20230912_103146_Connect.jpg

IMG-20230908-WA0000.jpg

20230908_130720.jpg

20230908_131307.jpg

20230908_143053.jpg

Windle

Über Member
Short break in York last week - 4 walks totalling 16 miles. Way shorter than planned, and what we would normally do, due to heatwave. Mrs SD suffers badly in the heat plus the older I get the more it seems to affect me too. Is this a 'thing'?

'Wall walk':

View attachment 706260

View attachment 706261

View attachment 706252

View attachment 706253

View attachment 706254

View attachment 706255

View attachment 706256

Although it's always nice to get out into the wilds of the countryside I think a town walk is an excellent contrast now and again (or maybe it's just me due to living out in the sticks). Newcastle is a favourite of ours, ages can be spent raking about 'the toon' around the many old passageways and lanes (a circular route that criss-crosses the many bridges is a change), or even down to the Quayside from Byker via Ouseburn.

SpokeyDokey

Although it's always nice to get out into the wilds of the countryside I think a town walk is an excellent contrast now and again (or maybe it's just me due to living out in the sticks). Newcastle is a favourite of ours, ages can be spent raking about 'the toon' around the many old passageways and lanes (a circular route that criss-crosses the many bridges is a change), or even down to the Quayside from Byker via Ouseburn.

We live 'out in the sticks' too and the contrast is nice when we walk around a town or city.

We had a trip to Whitley Bay planned in July but the bad weather at the time forced us to cancel.

It would've included a Newcastle mooch about.

Going next May instead.

Windle

Über Member
We live 'out in the sticks' too and the contrast is nice when we walk around a town or city.

We had a trip to Whitley Bay planned in July but the bad weather at the time forced us to cancel.

It would've included a Newcastle mooch about.

Going next May instead.

You'll definitely enjoy it, there're lots of places and things to see. Tynemouth is a good spot too, just down from Whitley Bay. A run out on the Metro is good if that's your sort of thing. We sometimes drive up to South Shields, get the ferry across to North Shields then walk up to Tynemouth via the fish quay and breakwater for lunch in The Salutation. There are extensive bike paths around the area too and a look through the Tyne pedestrian tunnel is a must (though I haven't been through it since it reopened a while back). You could easily spend a day exploring the cycle path network in and around Newcastle.

Windle

Über Member
On the subject of a Newcastle walk, a few shots from back in August when the wife and I went up to Byker (yes, I was in Recyke y'bike again) and walked into the town. A slightly different route to the previous time when we went via the Ouseburn valley and farm, a bit more urban this time. Crossing the Byker road bridge with the concrete metro bridge and cast iron ECML Ouseburn bridge behind,

GOPR0341.JPG
central motorway looking north from one of the pedestrian bridges, one of the Manors Uni buildings on the right,
GOPR0344.JPG
dilapidated and graffitied precinct just behind the New Bridge Hotel (the Madison nightclub used to be in the right hand side building),
GOPR0345.JPG
the spiral staircase leading from the precinct down to Oxford St. and the remaining frontage of what was once The Oxford nightclub (before my time, it was called Tiffany's when I were a lad and was mostly in a long gone picture house type building behind the entrance),
GOPR0346.JPG
a 'one that got away'
GOPR0348.JPG
and finally looking back down a set of steps that lead up to Byker from the quayside road (Cycle route 72), through some newer flats.
GOPR0350.JPG

Top Bottom