Your walk today...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Windle

Über Member
I have just been for a mini-break to Scarborough with a friend.

On Monday we caught the bus to Whitby. I got chatting to a local man in his early 60s who had overheard me saying that I was enjoying getting free bus rides now. He wanted to know when he would get his bus pass. He had a dry sense of humour and a distinctive voice.

We said goodbye to our fellow passenger and had a stroll round Whitby then a snack and coffee in a cafe there. Then we headed off up the steep steps towards the abbey. We had decided to walk the Cleveland Way from Whitby to Robin Hood's Bay and catch the bus back from there. It is not a super-long walk - about 11 km (7 miles) but there is a fair amount of climbing and descending along the tops of the cliffs. Let's call it 'moderate' in difficulty. Anybody with reasonable fitness and mobility could do it, but you would know that you had done a decent walk by the end of it.

There is quite a lot of coastal erosion going on. The path gets close to the cliff edge in many places. It was a bit alarming in one section to see that the ground had disappeared from below the fence keeping us from the cliff edge with the now redundant fence stretched over a gaping void! Unfortunately, I neglected to take a picture of that.

I did take a few elsewhere though...

I don't know if the foghorn and lighthouse are still used today - I imagine that all shipping uses GPS so they should be redundant? I wouldn't like to be anywhere near that foghorn when it sounded - instant deafness! :eek:

View attachment 708780

One of the many little steep dips that we descended into and then had to climb back up from...

View attachment 708779

Robin Hood's Bay with the tide out. They are currently busy building up the sea defences down there.

View attachment 708778

I was thinking to myself that calling a village in Robin Hood's Bay "Robin Hood's Bay" was a bit odd! When we got to the village I saw a tourist sign that said that many locals call it Bay Town.

We went down a VERY steep lane to the beautiful older part of the village. I reckon that the road must be very close to 30% in gradient. I don't think that I would even attempt to cycle up it these days! As usual, the photo doesn't give a true indication of how steep the road actually is...

View attachment 708777

We had time to kill until our bus came so we went for coffee and very yummy ice cream.

After that, a nice bus journey back to Scarborough.

We were coming back yesterday but decided not to rush home when we saw what a nice day it was turning out to be so we headed off down the South Bay for a look around...

View attachment 708776

We called in at another busy cafe and I heard a very distinctive voice cutting through the chit-chat - I was sure that it was our fellow bus passenger from Monday... I scanned the room and spotted him! I went and said hello and he accused me of stalking him. Jokingly... He asked if we had enjoyed our walk the previous day. We told him that we had and asked how his day had gone. He said that he really likes Whitby so he'd had a nice day too. Now looking forward to getting his bus pass and being able to do the journeys free.

PS I didn't have any walking boots before going away and didn't want to tackle the potentially muddy (it was, in places) and slippery (it was, in places) Cleveland Way path in trainers so I had been looking at walking boots on Amazon. It soon became obvious that all of the boots under £100 got mixed reviews, and even some of the ones costing a lot more than that. I am a frugal pensioner and I don't do that much walking so I definitely didn't want to spend £80-£100+ on boots that might disappoint. Then I went to my local Aldi and spotted some very cheap 'trekking boots'. They were only £17.99 and looked pretty well made. I'm sure that they will not last anywhere near as long as quality boots, will not be properly waterproof and so on, but for that price and my modest requirements I decided that I would give them a go...

View attachment 708775

View attachment 708774

Verdict? So far - pleasantly surprised! They fit my feet well. I was worried that the cheap soles might slip at the first sign of damp/muddy stone, but no scares yet. If they last 6 months then I will feel like I have got my money's worth out of them. Anything over a year and I would be laughing! If you like the sound of them, dash down to Aldi before they sell out.

I remember that foghorn ~ when I was young (early seventies) we used to holiday in a tiny caravan in somebodies garden, just along from Ruswarp station. Ideal for getting the train (class 101 units) into Whitby. The sound of that was a frequent occurrence, day & night, whenever it was foggy out at sea. I don't think we ever had a stay there when it wasn't droning away some of the time. The atmosphere of the place wouldn't have been the same without it.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Blelham Tarn and Langdale. Lovely short walk between showers.

IMG_0283.jpeg

IMG_0286.jpeg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Up before the lark, this morning, with ice to be cleared from the car windscreen before picking up my daughter for a sunrise walk around Sywell Reservoir.

Screenshot_20231015-105050~2.png

Parking by The World's End pub, we walked across pitch dark frosty fields on Northampton Round, to the res.

DSC_3760.JPG

We did avoid one footpath on the way there as it was too dark to see which kind of animals the farmer is keeping there!

DSC_3771.JPG

DSC_3777.JPG

DSC_3774.JPG

Back to the car on about fairly flat & easy 6 miles, ready for the Hot Choccy from my flask.

albion

Guru
IMG_20231015_134124225.jpg

Meant to land in Your Ride Today but was unable to find it. Sundays ride.
Middlesbrough to Whitby via Guisborough, Loftus,Boosbeck, Staithes, Runswick Bay, Goldborough and Sandness.(Sandsend I meant. A good while since I cycled Sandness way) The less obvious photo is at Runswick Bay.

I was sat on a suntrap perch at Boosbeck and spotted that cycle sign in the background to the stone carvings. It has to be a commemorative of this years road championship, Boosbeck being on the route. A glorious autumn day. They can be the best.

IMG_20231015_153355162.jpg

IMG_20231015_171014998.jpg

Last edited:

PeteXXX

A rather square walk with the dog today. It didn't seem particularly square as I was doing it, but.. You judge! 😂

Screenshot_20231103-153212~2.png

The bottom right squiggles are the Bike Park

DSC_3911.JPG

Delapre Park is the site of the Civil War Battle of Northampton 1640

DSC_3910.JPG

And a decent sized lake, too.

It's easy walking, but muddy in several places and Bonnie, after failed attempts to catch rabbits & squirrels, ended up having a bath when we got home!

PeteXXX

After a 20 mile ride from St Ives, Cambridgeshire, I met up with my sister for lunch & a walk from the Orchard Tearooms, Grantchester.

DSC_3943.JPG

It was a bit chilly to sit outside in their deckchairs, so soup was consumed indoors.

The walk took us across farmland to a bridge over the M11 & on to some telescopes that, I believe, are to do with Cambridge University.

DSC_3940~2.JPG

Back over another M11 bridge and into Grantchester near the church..

Screenshot_20231122-100932~2.png

Just over 7 miles in all in lovely, but nippy, sunshine ☀

Top Bottom