'you're doing well'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
There's no way to keep up any speed on Mile End Road as there's a red light every often

Not sure, I've held 25mph with effort for a fair way but I bloody well feel it, over that is well into that oxygen debt thingy, and I like a sprint up the London Bridge from the North side, get to 30mph there

More news today, after a year of being king of the route, more oddity, another bloke passes at speed, after I go, now it's Wed and I'm a bit peaky, catch him waiting at the next lights, blokes a heroic looking sort, big and very muscley legs, I notice he's on big ring and smallest cog, I open my mouth to ask him why, lights change and off he goes like a rocket in said gear combo, after him I go, rattling through gears and giving it 100%, we're up to 29mph and still accelerating when i realise its a red light and he ain't stopping, I slide to a rapid halt doubtless doing the rear tyre no good at all, he acclerates away into the distance

he must have been someone very good doing that on purpose, I'm starting to think the Olympic team really are practicing on Mile End Road in the rush hour

and sure nuff, on the way home into a stiff headwind with tired legs (already, dreading Thu and Fri) and a chap in longs and a LS top, big and powerful looking again, drafts me for a bit and then smoothly passes me and rides off, I tried and failed utterly to keep up with him this time

Later I shamelessly drafted someone through Leytonstone doing 14mph, and was glad to do it

knackered

I think I'm going to seriously have to consider some rest days before the Dun Run, I think I've overeached myself, months and months of never being passed other than by RLJ and suddenly three seperate faster blokes in two days

;)

I was king (almost) of the Mile End Road twenty years ago.

I knocked betweent 8+13 minutes off of my normal commute with the lighter bike this morning.I'll have to have the mudguards and carrier off next.:eek:

he must have been someone very good doing that on purpose, I'm starting to think the Olympic team really are practicing on Mile End Road in the rush hour

Got to be but why the shopping basket on the front?:biggrin:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I know the feeling. I've lorded it over my route for about as long as I can remember, but I came home long-faced the other day. 'What's up with you?' said 'er indores. 'I got beat.' sez I. 'And not just beat, I got beat like a gong by some bloke on a fixie. I tried my hardest to keep up, but he was just too good for me.' She gave me this pitying look: 'Why don't you grow up?' There's no answer to that.

Then the following night, the same bloke did the same thing again.

:eek:

Got me new fixie now tho'.....wait till I see 'im again :biggrin::biggrin:

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
An update regarding the first of the three faster riders, the 'doing well one'

We met again today, I suspect if I leave late then our paths cross

He passed me today on Leytonstone High Road with a cheerful hello and off we went again

A quick chat at the lights, he said I passed him initially on Leytonstone High Road and the thought '****ing hel, not that bloke again' which was nice, and he said the speed he/we did up the Bow Flyover was insane

That said off he went again at breakneck speed, so it seems that he rides briskly but at my speed but goes all out when passed, and has a bit more of a margin in hand than me

ah well, an incentive to leave the house on time I think

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Tynan said:
An update regarding the first of the three faster riders, the 'doing well one'

We met again today, I suspect if I leave late then our paths cross

He passed me today on Leytonstone High Road with a cheerful hello and off we went again

A quick chat at the lights, he said I passed him initially on Leytonstone High Road and the thought '****ing hel, not that bloke again' which was nice, and he said the speed he/we did up the Bow Flyover was insane

That said off he went again at breakneck speed, so it seems that he rides briskly but at my speed but goes all out when passed, and has a bit more of a margin in hand than me

ah well, an incentive to leave the house on time I think
Lol - so he was pushing it because of you, and vice-versa... you macho-commmuter-racing-fools, you!! (I'd never do anything like that. Honest, guv!;):blush::o)

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
Exactly

The wife laughed and said 'you men, why don;t you just ride together at the same speed'

I din't have an answer for that

It's pride isn't it.I prefer my 4am commutes.No one to overtake me.No pride dented as yet another woman with a shopping basket overtakes me.:tongue:

I like that your doing well line.I may use that one day.:ohmy:

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
help yourself although in hindsight his 'doing well' was absolutely genuine

I repaid by pulling alongside him at the lights rather puffed

To his his cheerful 'alright', I politely said 'too ****ing fast'

Nah i'd have probably never admitted it.Don't want to give the enemy a boost.:tongue:

I think this morning myself I was thinking I must try harder.Bet you have no mudguards.:ohmy:

Ok what's the bike?

fat ortleib rear roller

What is this?

Still I can't argue with the statistics,on my second bike I was between 8 and 13 minutes earlier than my normal commute.

Tyres?

I have armadillo and two innertubes with 4 times the thickness of a normal innertube.That's on bike 2 anyway.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
a year old Fratello in good order

a proper pannier with tools, lunch and a change of clothes

cheap £10 tyres, Lugano on the front, red, Blizzard on the back, yellow, both 23mm

Top Bottom