You're getting too obsessed when...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
Aberdeenshire has a lot of old stone bridges from a bygone era. Like this one. Some of them have priority one way, but most of them just have a sign warning of oncoming vehicles in the middle of the road.

That road leading down to the bridge is quite steep, street view doesn't really give the incline, and I was coming down about 35 mph early today, tucked down. I decide to take the bridge without braking, look ahead, nothing coming, long look behind (this is a commuter route) nothing there, sit up a bit, cover my brakes, begin to drift out to take the corner, look ahead again and... shoot! Where did that big van come from? He's coming very fast, and I'm going to meet him right on the bridge. Brake on the back, scrub my speed down a bit, tighten the line, passing much closer than I originally intended to the parapet of the bridge.

So what am I thinking? 'That was a lucky escape?' 'I won't do that again?''You're too old to be so stupid?'

No I was thinking 'That's a shame, that van really spoiled that corner for me.'

D

Deleted member 1258

Aberdeenshire has a lot of old stone bridges from a bygone era. Like this one. Some of them have priority one way, but most of them just have a sign warning of oncoming vehicles in the middle of the road.

That road leading down to the bridge is quite steep, street view doesn't really give the incline, and I was coming down about 35 mph early today, tucked down. I decide to take the bridge without braking, look ahead, nothing coming, long look behind (this is a commuter route) nothing there, sit up a bit, cover my brakes, begin to drift out to take the corner, look ahead again and... s***! Where did that big van come from? He's coming very fast, and I'm going to meet him right on the bridge. Brake on the back, scrub my speed down a bit, tighten the line, passing much closer than I originally intended to the parapet of the bridge.

So what am I thinking? 'That was a lucky escape?' 'I won't do that again?''You're too old to be so stupid?'

Your as bad as me, coming down a steep hill on the fixed on Friday I was winding it up looking to top 30, car just in front had moved right indicating a right turn into a side road, as I was about to go past the left side he changed his mind, started to indicate left and promptly swung the car left across the front of me, theres some parking in front of the shops on my left, this prompted a spectacular emergency stop from me and much cursing, but I was more annoyed about not topping 30 than nearly getting wiped out.

That road leading down to the bridge is quite steep, street view doesn't really give the incline, and I was coming down about 35 mph early today, tucked down. I decide to take the bridge without braking, look ahead, nothing coming, long look behind (this is a commuter route) nothing there, sit up a bit, cover my brakes, begin to drift out to take the corner, look ahead again and... s***! Where did that big van come from? He's coming very fast, and I'm going to meet him right on the bridge. Brake on the back, scrub my speed down a bit, tighten the line, passing much closer than I originally intended to the parapet of the bridge.

Nah, you're only obsessed if you turn around and try to ride it better/cleaner/faster a second time.

postman

Legendary Member
You are too obsessed when you go to put the lawn mower away and you decide to just wipe the bike over with a cloth,then continue to polish everything on it.I did that yesterday.

There's a descent on the A438 approaching Letton northbound. Lovely surface, a slight kink but no corners and lots of visibility.

It's on a regular ride of mine and I always have a bit of a push there. Once (only once) I was thwarted by a massive artic driving at about 2mph under my preferred speed. I had to ease off and tuck in safely behind it. It, like, competely threw my rhythm.

We drive that road a lot to visit relatives in Wales and the whole family can now do the whole anecdote about that truck. It's as if they think I make too much of it or mention it too often. I sometimes wonder whether they might be mocking me.

Do you know what it really is? They don't really understand bicycles. I mean really understand them.

They don't get the whole fixed-gear thing either. They don't see how you feel totally connected to the bike, I mean totally connected. It's like a part of you. Like really a part of you.

I'm not mad, am I? They say I am, but I'm not, am I?

the snail

Guru
... I was thwarted by a massive artic driving at about 2mph under my preferred speed....
If you were truly obsessive, you would have overtaken it, artic style.
I think obsessive is when you see a gorgeous lycra-clad lovely and you're more interested in which bike they're riding...

Top Bottom