Yours first house

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@ianrauk has recently announced that his new abode is in Barming. The first house I ever bought was in Barming. In 1966! It cost me £3950.00. I laid awake for weeks wondering how I would afford the payments !

Yours?

screenman

Legendary Member
Hanworth 3 bed semi with two bathrooms, £29,250 in 1981, I was a muppet who did not buy the biggest I could afford at the time.

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Less than 1/4 mile away from where we are now, after 2 house moves. Bought in 1999 when prices were going upwards at silly speed, we paid £97,000 for a 2 bed mid-terrace with a collapsing roof. Mind you, after a few years work it sold 8 years later for £250k, but like @screenman we should have pushed ourselves and bought bigger back in '99.
Loved that house, always warm, cheap gas and electric, new everything since we gutted the place and started over. I guess your first house always has that something about it. I moved in with my now wife 7 months before we married, both our kids were born there too.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I was a young single man and bought my first property which was a 2 bedroomed detached bungalow for £49,950 in Brayton near Selby. It was a new development bought off plan, when I finally moved in the average age of the people in this small cul-de-sac of bungalows must have been 75! I was 21!

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Voe. Still own it. Paid £22,000 in the late eighties, now worth approx ten times that, and it's earned me a moderate rental income for 22 years, off and on - the rental has paid for it roughly twice over already.

Mrs M

Guru
I bought a flat in 1987 for £19800.
Lived in it then rented it out for a while. Got fed up after the students left and I had to redecorate and recarpet the lot. Stayed there another 3 months until our house was built then sold it.
It had fabulous views to the front of Pittodrie stadium and Aberdeen beech and over the city at the back.
Had some lovely neighbours there.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
About 1976, an un-modernised mid-terrace in N Wales for £1,300. I sold it for 100% profit a year or so later.

gbb

Legendary Member
Our first and only, still living in it, brought in the early Noughties, ex council /Development Corparation 4 bed house, off the main road (which is a pain in a lot of ways)...should have been £54k...i paid £18k.
Mortgage finished next year, it's very low now anyway.

I remember arranging the mortgage...i wasn't overjoyed at the thought of the extra cost although it's paid for itself over and over now...and will keep doing so. I asked the adviser how in the heck people afforded £100K at the time which seemed astronomical to me. She replied...they gulp and sign :whistle:

The downsides.
It' a modest house on effectively a council estate...no problem with that in itself but Peterborough (near me anyway) has seen wave after wave of new people and the sense of community has gone altogether. We knew most of the people up the street years ago, now its just a handful of folk. So many come and go now, so many houses are now multiple occupancy, private landlords, it's real hard to get to know anyone.

When we go back to Bingham Notts, we always think its tidy and well kept, particually the council estate where my wife grew up. Here....people just dump all their cr&p at the side of the road...problem solved. :angry:

Don't get me wrong, I'm incredibly lucky to have a house I can call my own and very affordable, for that I'm forever grateful...but nothing' ever perfect is it :okay:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Early 80's modern single bedroom house great place wish i kept it

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
A three bedroom semi-detached, bought in 1968, for £3,600, at a place called Penshaw, on edge of Washington, Tyne & Wear.

90% mortgage, cannot remember exact payments, but, about £30/month, at a time when I was earning £20/week (gross) and my then wife was earning £14/week (gross).

gaijintendo

Veteran
I won't speak ill of the place, given I still live in it, but I miss renting. I also wish I had pushed myself to get a bigger place... with a better roof. But it's home. I just wish there was an extra bedroom upstairs, or remodelling an upstairs and roofing didn't take long and cost a bomb.

Levo-Lon

Guru
1993 my 3 bed semi for 30k as it needed work " others in the road were 44k " its valued at around 230k now.
I bought it with a bridging loan so i could pay cash for a quick sale and then mortgaged it.
I tried a few times to buy in the mid 80s but just got gazumped over and over.

I'll move one day but its very cheap living with a small mortgage and ive made the house a very good size with all the work.

pplpilot

Guru
1986. 18k for 3 bed semi. Moved out in '90 still have it and I have the same tenants in there. I've asked them several times over the last 27 years if they wanted to buy it but they don't. I even put the rent up by £20 in 2000 thinking that might make them do the numbers but it didn't. Ah well...

Helenbells

Terraced miner's house in Yorkshire, with derelict houses next door. 1972. No mortgage available so lovely father in law stumped up £1000, which we paid back in a year. Took the whole of my salary for that year.
Furnished with cast offs and heated by open coal fire. Carpet was carpet samples stuck together with gaffer tape.
Only ones in the street with a car.... A30 vintage 1952, which had to be started by a starting handle.
We did however have an inside bathroom! Luxury

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'm old & some of you bought houses before I was even born :laugh:
Bought my 1st house with the 1st wife in 1988, 1 bedroom terrace for £15500, divorced 3 years later & had to stump up another £6k to pay her off. Got with the 2nd mrs in 1993 & moved in with her. Rented my house out for about 10 years getting a decent return & then sold to my brother for £30k to help him out.
The 1st house I bought with Mrs S no2 we had a £30k mortgage & that gave me sleepless nights, wish we had a £30k mortgage now :blush:

Top Bottom